Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS Creator: What's Next?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 16:05
I feel that I have all the features I need right now to make good games. What I need is definitely stability.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 17:25
Quote: "Quote: "HUGE size of the executable file"

Half of FPSC.exe is the code for the editor. If lee split it up it would be probably around 2 mb (down from what 12?)."

I think he meant the whole game folder not the .exe.
If you build a game it is no problem to run it well over a GB easily.

Please have mercy and use the search function.
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 18:05 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 18:47
Quote: "I think he meant the whole game folder not the .exe."

I know about that, but still. Half the code in FPSC-Game.exe is the code for the editor, And the code for the editor being in the final build, when there's no use for it to the final consumer is useless. If lee split it into 2 .exes it would probably shorten the loops and not need as much processor power to run it, ending in smoother running time. I'm not saying it's the only thing that will make it run faster. Like before, if he released the 1.07 source I would love to start dividing the .exe into 2 just to see the results. But I can wait for the source.

Also I think another idea for lee would be adding a mini DBPRO compiler/editor into FPSC. Yes fpsc is drag and drop, but you have to realize that once you play with fpsc for more than a few weeks you really can't get creative without involving some sort of scripting, and the scripting language with FPSC is what limits the user, if you combined a source editor right inside fpsc, more people would be able to make modifications specific to their game, therefore increasing the usability of the editor. Of course they can buy dbpro and yadda yadda, not to mention the large number of posts here on the forums "I deleted a line in the source and it killed my game" but really, trully, I think in terms of selling points, any ability to diversify your game will enrich the user's experience, and probably help TGC move more model packs, "Dark" products yadda yadda. FPSC X10, let it be the new holiday gift for the young aspiring game creator, give the older community an engine worth making games with even if the graphics become outdated.

BTW Doom, Duke Nuke'em and Marathon are all mid 90s games, and the graphics are outdated, but they STILL sell like crazy.

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 18:35
I agree that stability is most important, but since a Dark AI upgrade has been more or less promised, I'd very much like to see it come out alongside the fixes. It's not a neccesity, but it'd be awesome.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 19:09
Remember guys, I've created a poll to see what TGC should tackle next for FPSC X9. Yes I realise there will be loads more than the nine I have but it's worth seeing which of them comes out first. I you don't like any of them, don't vote.

http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/fpsc/FPSCPoll.html

just a small bumpage

Taking a break... Be back soon.
Captain Maritus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 21:19
I'd like to kick my 2 cents in and vote for stability/speed increases. I love new features as much as the next guy, but I've seen some impressive work done with the features available!

I love the idea of a mini-editor/compiler to let the community chase bugs, etc... (I haven't broken down and bought DB Pro yet... yet). Oh, and AI upgrading of course. However, I like to be realistic, FPSC is a very easy to use, fun, tool for whipping up FPS games, and if rag doll physics or hit box are possible within reason, Great! But, if I need to create life-like (or better) experiences in better than life resolution I'd find a way to shell out the $750,000 base for the latest Unreal engine. Give me this engine with stability and performance on a reasonable (consumer base) range of hardware and I'm a happy man.

quick recap, my wish list is:
1) stability/performance
2) AI
3) editor

Thanks.
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 20:00
Quote: "...Gotta go with stability.It's nice that one of us appears to have no frame rate issues or issues with stability.That's great...until you make a game only you can play because it only works for you.
You can put FPSC on 6 different pcs and you get six different experiences.What works on one pc may or may not work on another..."

...well said, FredP.

Own It, Or Get Owned...
Dark Markus
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I am planning to buy FPS Creator but I just got to know something firts.

Does FPS Creator have the same problems as the free version of Dark GDK (problems with Wizards and files that can't be found).

I just need to know because I don't want to buy something that does not work properly.
Captain Kirk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 16:47
Well i think there is a lot of things to so with FPSC v1 some thoughts: framerate, better ai, ingame editing
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 21:18
Maybe the problem is that your still using V1. fpsc is now V1.07.
Quote: "Well i think there is a lot of things to so with FPSC v1 some thoughts: framerate, better ai, ingame editing"

join the x games forum: http://www.fps-x-games.com

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 17:17
OK, realistically most games nowadays take at least a nvidia 5000 series or better to run well without seriously lowering your graphic settings. I have 1GB of RAM, Nvidia 7800GT and a 2.4GHz processor. A decent computer nowadays, compared with some, great, compared to a gaming PC, maybe not very good. I cannot find a way to make my frame-rate go below 30 FPS. No matter what I try. A huge totally outdoor level filled with guys and dynamic entities. A room that fills up with gibs falling off a conveyor belt. I'm not bragging just stating that if you have a decent graphics card (6000 series or over) FPSC should run fine all the time. As for bugs, I have never really seen any. Maybe timer based FPS would be a good idea though. My main concerns are: Allies, Timer based FPS, rag-doll and water. Honestly on the best graphics setting FPSC looks great so improved graphics/normal maps are really necessary IMO. Just my 2 dollars
*Slayer_2

[img]
[/img] Check out the Elite OPS Terrorstike thread in the showcase.
BigZx2
Years of Service
User Offline
I love fps, and here is what I think would make it better for the 2nd version (if it has not already been mentioned by someone else)

1) Better AI, and maybe their animations a little bit better refined

2) possibly a roll for the game player?

3) Maybe a built in entity/segment editer to make it a lot easier and faster to build a custom game.

4) deffenatly better graphics. the first fps if awesome, but a slightly better look would be fun.

5) Vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!! get in and out of them! that would be sweet.

6) the fist had sci-fi and ww2 packs that came with it. maybe this time you should have medeivel pack with sword and axe type weapons and a lot of out door type entitys and segments and castles.

I love stargate sg1
BigZx2
Years of Service
User Offline
speaking of graphics cards the geforce 8500 is only about 95 - 100 $, that shoudl take care of any problems you are having with fps

(I amd only useing my intergrated almost 2 years old lap top's graphics card, and it hardly is able to handle fps, lol)

I love stargate sg1
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 13:31
Quote: "speaking of graphics cards the geforce 8500 is only about 95 - 100 $, that shoudl take care of any problems you are having with fps"

Nope, it will not..... it's not that simple.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 23:20
My 256MB 7800GT runs like a greased pig with FPSC, unstoppable. 32 FPS is the lowest I've ever had, and I've done a room that fills with gibs before.

[img]
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 09:37 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 09:38
Oh I think the future of FPSC x9 will come sooner than you think

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 14:39
i think FPSC Needs to use the GFX card more instead of the CPU to do graphical stuff. LOL, it only needs a 64mb Video Card but a 300GHz CPU to run well in big maps.

YAY, We Got Our MUSIC BOARD!!!!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 22:25
I have a 64 MB video card.Trust me when I say you need one with more RAM.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 23:46
I think it would be VERY useful if you could collate all of the feedback and create a summary word document that TGC can work from. If this is possible we will need it for early Feb. Jan will be too tied up for X9 work, we have a US trip and then Lee is away on a holiday.

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Oh I think the future of FPSC x9 will come sooner than you think "

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd be willing to, unless someone else wants to.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 02:04
Are you talking to me, or someone else, Rick?

muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 04:29 Edited at: 21st Dec 2007 04:30
Please can we have an inventory added, I know more stability is the most important update, but it would be nice if you could at least display the items you have collected. Thanks!
BigZx2
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "speaking of graphics cards the geforce 8500 is only about 95 - 100 $, that shoudl take care of any problems you are having with fps"

Nope, it will not..... it's not that simple."

oh ok, but if my lap top can handle quite a bit, then that card should do a whole lot better

I love stargate sg1
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 06:41
@KeithC- probbably be best if you submit it as you have more direct contact with TGC and you are a mod.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 08:56
Perhaps Keith you can compile a list into a code, like this:

So people can see what's already been requested, then it's simple matter of copying it to a Word doc.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 13:14
I think what I'll do is compile the list, and update the initial post with it (possibly as Nicky has suggested); then send the Word document to Rick.

-Keith

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 13:31
I don't mind who does it. I want your views heard and the best way is for them to be organised into a report.

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 14:40
Well, if you don't mind who does it, then perhaps someone else would like to put it together?

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 17:21
Keith,
I thought you always handled stuff like this.Any time we need a list compiled we turn to you.
[uses dark force power]not a cheap attempt to get out of doing it myself[/ends use of dark force power]

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 17:38
I will do it.

I think the first issue is Frame rate. Which is basicly replacing the FPS based system with a timer based on.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 18:17
While frame-rate is a big problem, I think AI is a nasty one as well.

[img]
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 18:22
It might be an idea also to instead of just saying, for example, "Frame Rate", also include a small description of what exactly is mean by it.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Like I said, unless someone else wants to, I will.

Captain Kirk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 09:42
Quote: "
Maybe the problem is that your still using V1. fpsc is now V1.07.
Quote: "Well i think there is a lot of things to so with FPSC v1 some thoughts: framerate, better ai, ingame editing"
"

No, I have installed the latest upgrade. I only wrote V1, because I'm speaking about the directx9 version, not the new FPSCreator X10
bbacle
Years of Service
User Offline
There are definitely some things that I would like to see in FPSCreator. I have now used it a bit to create some games, but there are definitel limitations associated with it. The things that I would like to see in FPSCreator are:

1- Definitely a better framerate

2- Compatibility with WinXP (and not just Vista)

3- A better game engine to help speed things up

4- Better AI

5- Being able to get in and out of vehicles and driving them

6- Levels of difficulty

These are just some of the things that I would like to see in a new version of FPSCreator.

I think the engine that is being used is too outdated and needs to be changed to a later and faster engine to make the games more playable.
Look at Far Cry and Crysis to see what I mean.
Their game engine is definitely better.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 16:39 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2007 16:40
The ability to go the the next / previous copy of the chosen entity. For example, let's say you've made a complex level and placed ammo down or some small entities, it may be difficult to find them later on. Being able to jump to them would be great.

bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
I know this is kinda off topic but, will this all be in a free update or are we likely to have to pay for it?

The things i want to see updated is:
1)Better Frame Rates
2)Better AI (also better death e.g. instead of dieing with arms and legs sticking out like they're making snow angles actually make it where they can fall on there front or back and arms go across chest or something)
3)Better lighting
4)Allies and Enemies (using the script for me is just too confusing i would prefer to have it built into the editor like FPSCX10 features)
5)Allow the AI entities to shoot people that are on a lower or higher level, currently they will just face straight and shoot rather than actually look down or up at the enemies.

BJKDAW
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 18:39
1] Ragdoll
2] Dark AI
3] Ladders
4] More scripting commands
5] LOD

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2007 00:28
1]Better AI
2]Support for higher poly models
3]Faster lightmapping
4]Realistic shadows
5]
Quote: "Allow the AI entities to shoot people that are on a lower or higher level, currently they will just face straight and shoot rather than actually look down or up at the enemies."

Those are not in any particular order. Just in the order I thought of them in.

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2007 02:02
I'd rather have fully working support for normal mapping rather than support for higher poly models.
A copy of the way X10's shaders work would be nice. After that, Dark AI and framrate improvement.

Some nice additions would be working dynamic shadows, and though this one is less realistic, X9 going over to being timer-based. It would take a lot of work but would most likely work a lot better.
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 16:44
1) ragdolls
2) Dark AI
3) Allies/Ememies
4) Ammo limits (not being able to pick up unlimited ammo for any weapon. the original Doom game had ammo limits, it can't be that hard.

General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "2) Dark AI
3) Allies/Ememies"

Dark AI supports allies

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 15:41 Edited at: 27th Dec 2007 15:42
Vehicles would be way overboard with the X9 engine as it stands and the maps would be to small to do crap with a vehicle anyway... so I wouldn't hound about that. But I do think the AI is prob. the BIGGEST issue and I say that because the enemies you drop in the game seem to be as aware as a druken, blind, deaf, man. The AI should get a pretty decent overhaul. Maybe they can know how to take cover and seem ALIVE.

Secondly... yeah we all know the lag that the engine will drown us in when we break the compacity of the engine. Maybe this could be fixed to offer a bigger room for your imagination. It is a big issue but with what we got now we can make pretty good games and go lag crazy.

Also... what would open up choices and leave room for "EWH's!" and
"AWH!'s" of your players would be the option for teammate AI and maybe a ragdoll system. I mean... who dies in a stiff cross shape anyway? Well... maybe the crusified of the olden days BUT not when you get shot in the forehead on the battlefeild.

If these could be addressed along with some better lighting options... then I think X9 will be a whole lot better.

Astek

Second Chairman of COZ's Productions.
Captain Maritus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 15:28
Nickydude said:
Quote: "It might be an idea also to instead of just saying, for example, "Frame Rate", also include a small description of what exactly is mean by it."

I just had an opportunity over the weekend to have a look at the DarkGDK, that's what I mean by frame rate! On my laptop, just using integrated graphics I got solid 60 FPS with nothing below 58! Now, the AI and other pieces in FPSC are no doubt dragging those numbers down, but I can't hit 30 FPS on that same laptop with nearly any size room, much less a level with the detail I saw in the GDK demos.

Now to be fair to the FPSC team, C++ built with the MS compiler is going to produce faster executables on Windows than any basic language. I've suspected that the DarkBasic Pro compiler (which I understand was used to build FPSC in the first place - correct me if I'm wrong) could use some tuning which would inherently increase execution and decrease output file size, but, again to be fair, only Intel has produced broadly accepted commercially available compliers that consistently outperform Microsoft's. Does anyone know if porting FPSC to DarkGDK is under consideration?

Thanks,

Capt'n
RedRocker
Years of Service
User Offline
I second (or 58th as the case may be) the speed and AI improvments, but I would also like to see some simple bug fixes, such as fixing the elevators (moving to specific floors when a button is pressed) and antigrav platforms (was broken in path 1.06 that they now can't move over empty areas) and collision problems where you can fall through floors.

Also improvements in the editor such area select/copy (select all entities and segments in a mouse drag), to make a really great editor even better.

A built in robust (read that as allows for some editing of the captured avi.) screen capture utility for making cut scenes would also be on my list.

Just thoughts off the top of my head.

Thanks,
RR
Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 15:34
There are 4 Improvement points to create a state of the art
3D Game with FPSCX9 ! Those are listed below.

1. Better Framerate. Sync about 60 FPS.

2. Higher Resolution. Maybe up to 1280 X 1024

3. Shaders ! Shaders are unbelievable important to new games !
( Glow, working normalmap, maybe parallax ?!, water, reflection )

4. Ragdoll Physics.

yeah...thats the ticket !
General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
your forgot AI as # 2

Check out gang- the gangster fps
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 17:03
FPSC already supports 1280x1024. Look at the setup.ini-file. If it isn't already there, add the lines Height and Width under the debug category, if I remember correctly.

In order of desire, I think we need this;
1. Better framerate. If possible, a timer-based engine (it would probably require some editing of the weapons and such, as they're optimized for the frame-rate cap, but I'd be willing to pay some few extra bucks for it.)
2. Dark AI. Looking at X10, it sure seems like you can achieve better results with Dark AI alone than you can with a heavy-duty X9-script.
3. Ragdoll physics. As this has been mentioned by Lee some time ago that it would be implented into X9. I can hardly wait for the day I see it in action.
4. Shader update. Update the shaders to work properly with Dark Lights, and make some adjustments for esthetical improvement, the current shaders in X9 look rather unrealistic... The only decent one is the bumpcubereflectalpha-shader. Maybe use the same system as the one in X10? In theory, it seems to me like it wouldn't be a too difficult a task to backport the shaders to X9, except having to optimize them for shader model 3, of course.
5. Dynamic shadows! Be it hard-edged stencil shadows, or blurry soft-edged shadows, this would improve the overall look of FPSC games greatly. I'm not expecting HL2: Episode Two-quality dynamic shadows, but some fine-tuning and bug-adjustment of the current, hidden shadows that are in X9 would be great.
6. Finally, Dark Lights improvement. Introducing spotlights and directional lights to FPSC would make it tons better. Possibly a proper installment of sun-light would also be a great addition. The hidden sun-light feature in X9 had me really excited, until I found out it was about as finished as the dynamic shadows...

That's the order of priority I'd throw the features into FPSC. I do not know from a programmer's point of view which one's easier to implent, but I hope they're all realistic wishes.
bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
So when are we likely to see the major update to FPSCreator X9? i can't wait, and i think Framerate and leaks have to be sorted majorly. I have FPSC X9 i walk up a couplf of flights of stairs and get to windows at the top of a tower to look out over the entire "map" and the Framerate drops to about 8. My PC specs are Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz each, 2GB RAM, Geforce 7900GT graphics card with 256MB. So there seriously has to be some sort of problem for it to drop that low, it has even dropped to as low as 4 for the framerate.

BJKDAW

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 19:24:17
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 19:24:17