Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / *** Christmas DBPro Minimal Media Coding Competition ***

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 19:01
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 05:57 Edited at: 7th Jan 2008 07:32
I know most of you guys probobly already know this but wait to set the sync rate to 60 until after you create your media. I did this for my game and it created the media 10x's faster.

Edit:
Why did I say this?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 15:58
Hmm, it didn't make any visible different for me.

"Ok, so that wasn't funny. I don' have any good Christmas jokes."
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 16:26
It's so quiet lately here...

New Year and Christmas parties? A last sprint to the deadline (It's still more than one week...)? I dont know what the reasons are .

Or maybe no one wants to show his work yet to keep the competition guessing :-P

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Or maybe no one wants to show his work yet to keep the competition guessing"

while death = 0 : life() : endwhile
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 17:48
Lol, well can't blame you guys...

Attila
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 20:52 Edited at: 29th Dec 2007 20:57
I used the holydays to develop my contribution to the “Christmas DBPro Minimal Media Coding Competition”. Here it is!

Santa’s gift delivery

help Santa deliver his gifts. Are you able to deliver ten gifts to the houses indicated by a yellow arrows.
You will get 150 seconds to deliver all gifts, or you will loose the game.

Use the arrow-keys to accelerate, break and turn left or right your sledge. Drop the gifts using the space key.
While dropping a camera in the right upper corner shows the falling gift.

Hits are indicated by packets shown in the top of the screen.

All textures are created procedurally and the program creates even a midi-file an plays it. The sound code is based
on code of Hobgoblin posted in these forums on 23rd Dec 2006.

Enjoy the game
Attila

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 22:01
That looks very nice

I especially like the houses! The snow and the trees might need a little more work...

I also got a few compiling errors.

At line 107, it says clone object 2000,2001, I think it should be clone object 2001, 2000 (clone object object, source)

And at line 558 it says dot px+,py. I think it's just my compiler or something, but it gives an error with the +...

Beside that I also got an error with the variable "max" since I have a plugin with that command.

Other than that, it's pretty nice!!

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 08:38
Has anyone tried to guess what's in The Xmas Gift? There’s a special gift for the first DB Pro User who guesses the exact contents of the package.

Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
@TechLord

I've tried about sixty references to things from as many Christmas songs as I could find

@Attila

Very nice. I had the same errors as Sven, and also the camera points straight down for me, so I have a more restricted view than shown in the screenshot; not sure why. Makes it easier to aim the presents though!

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 12:46
@ Attila, I get the same errors as Sven B - except the "max" variable as i must not have that plugin.

The game looks very good, but i aggree the snow could do with a litte more work. The trees I think are fine - As good or better than what mine will look like.

The Drop CAM is a nice touch.

Will the game get harder ? - Perhaps Less time to delever Gift as you progress through levels ?

good luck - looking good

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 14:12 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 14:12
Quote: "I've tried about sixty references to things from as many Christmas songs as I could find"
Wow 60!! Perhaps this is more of challenge here then what I imagined. I'm curious as to what they were.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 16:09
I had at least 75!! I just took a list of christmas songs and put in every single noun I could remember from them (with adjectives). The twelve days of christmas took the longest, I was pretty sure that would be it, so I put each one in in several variations:

5goldenrings
agoldenring
fivegoldenrings

Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I just took a list of christmas songs and put in every single noun I could remember from them (with adjectives). The twelve days of christmas took the longest"

Same here

Attila
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sven B:
Quote: "
At line 107, it says clone object 2000,2001, I think it should be clone object 2001, 2000 (clone object object, source)

And at line 558 it says dot px+,py. I think it's just my compiler or something, but it gives an error with the +...

Beside that I also got an error with the variable "max" since I have a plugin with that command.
"

- Replaced "clone" by "make object"
- before I copied it via clipboard it was 'px+1' I removed the +1 now
- variable max renamed to mx

@Bongadoo
Quote: "and also the camera points straight down for me"

- There are two cams the normal control-cam and the drop-cam. The drop cam shows the falling gift while
it is drooped but the sprite with the drop-cams picture should be off screen when you are not dropping...

try to change to windowed mode, you must only remove the "remstart" & "remend" on lines 21 & 27.

@Jammy
Quote: "Will the game get harder ? - Perhaps Less time to delever Gift as you progress through levels ?"

- The timer will decrease faster with each round played

@all
The snow is randomized from circles and dots, if you got a better idea I'm open to change the drawing routine.

(to prevent cut/paste problems I will attach the source as .txt-file)

Here it is the "enhanced" version:

Attachments

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 04:23
Well I dont have time to finish this so here is what I got. Its not to bad, but Its not a game either. I just want to post what I have is all

Thank you.
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 05:04 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 05:11
@TechLord
Thanks alot. Now I have something ELSE to drive me nuts. And, your comment, "Wow 60!! Perhaps this is more of challenge here then what I imagined. I'm curious as to what they were.
?"
I think you are more clever than this. I bet you have a nice list of guesses.
Good one. Totally out of left field, for sure.

Edit:
and, just in case you DO have a list, wait until you see the list for TechLord, heheheh....
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 05:26 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 05:28
@Attila
VERY impressive for only the media you had to work with. I got em all the second try, so, maybe a little too easy, but, AWESOME! Good job!
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 05:36
@david w
too bad you can't finish this. It was looking great. I loved the snowflakes. Also, nice how you made the terrain texture. And the walls. Awesome. again, it would have been cool if you could have finished.
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 05:48
@gbark
Holy Cow! Unreal physics on Santa and the reindeer! I really hope you finish this for the Compo. I'll be looking at your code in depth, hope you don't mind. Very, VERY impressive!
BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 05:49
@TechLord - maybe it's time for a clue to the contents of the present, otherwise it sounds like people are giving up.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 05:54 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 05:54
Quote: "@TechLord - maybe it's time for a clue to the contents of the present, otherwise it sounds like people are giving up."

Ok guys. The clue is in The Twelve Days of Christmas.

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 06:35
@visigoth thank you for the compliments. I was suppose to be a christmas present collecting game with random generated levels. you get so much time per level to get as many gifts as you can.
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 08:39 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 09:12
Is it ok if I take a file that I made with the level creator I made and hard code it into my program so that I can have a default map? I would include the map creator.

Edit:
Quote: "create a level editor as a separate program for producing level data, such as the positioning of objects or sprites. This data may then be manually pasted into your main entry’s source code as data statements, so long as the editor is also written in pure DBPro code, uses no media, and is posted along with your entry as a code snippet. If that’s got you all confused, then just don’t go there!"

Ok, I guess I can but it says data statments, but im guessing its ok even if its not data statments.

Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The clue is in The Twelve Days of Christmas."

I tried everything I could think of already:

partridge
partridges
pear
pears
trees
turtle
turtles
dove
doves
hen
hens
bird
birds
ring
rings
gold
geese
goose
swans
swan
maid
maids
milk
ladies
lady
lord
lords
piper
pipers
pipe
pipes
drummers
drummer
drum
drums
elf
christmas
twelve
day

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 12:15
Quote: "The clue is in The Twelve Days of Christmas."

Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 12:25 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 12:49
Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Got it Sent you an e-mail! $20, very generous I shall post my game in a couple of minutes as I'm now in a good mood, and it's roundabout ready.

Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 16:00 Edited at: 5th Jan 2008 14:09
Santa Pro Snowboarding

View the help to see how to play. The inspiration for the game was from Dolphin Olympics 2, an excellent game.

See how high you can get, and if you can find all the tricks! See 'SCORES' in the menu for your current (persistent) stats.

HINT: Hit tailslide before you land to keep your combo going and boost your ollie power!

HINT: See how high you can go, who knows what's up there?

Enjoy!

Edit: Too large for code tags, so attached to text file.

Attachments

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 16:16 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 16:16
Good to see people have been making progress while I was away! One week to go, so there's still time for people who haven't made a start yet.

Quote: "Is it ok if I take a file that I made with the level creator I made and hard code it into my program so that I can have a default map? I would include the map creator ..... Ok, I guess I can but it says data statments, but im guessing its ok even if its not data statments"

If you have another solution other than data statements that's fine - so long as it is hard coded into your entry, and you provide the source for your editor.

In response to other questions while I was away:

Q. Can I make an editor for creating media other than map/level data?
A. Yes.

Q. Will people who have only used the provided media be judged higher than people who have created their own media too?
Q. Will judging take into account neatness of code?

A. I'm not going to answer questions along the lines of 'will I get judged higher for this or that'. However, Steve and I have plenty of experience between us at judging contests like this, so just do the best job you can and be assured that the winners will be picked thoughtfully and sensibly. That's the best answer I can give I'm afraid!

Visit www.andromedus.com today!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 16:39
Confirmation email sent to the Winner!!! Thanks for playing. Have a Happy New Year everyone.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 16:50
Wow, Bongadoo, that's really cool! The only complaint I have is that the route was exactly the same all the way through. I think it would be much more interesting if some of the houses were different shapes and sizes.

Oh, and I have a plugin thatuses the word "free," so I had to change every instance of the function "free," which was quite a lot!

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 17:27
Is it ok to manually write every data statement yourself? I've neither the time nor patience to make an editor.

EBA; FUI; Mario Land Ripoff.
Every time you post a joke in the form of code, mace yourself.
Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 17:38 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 17:54
@Techlord

Oh well Still glad I got it though!

@bmaczero

Glad you like it. I was thinking about adding more buildings, but you can also go up in the air (cloudslide/starslide ). See if you can find all the tricks shown in the scores menu

I'll change that function to free2 in case anyone else has it. Thanks for that.

BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 17:48 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 17:49
@TechLord - Thanks for having your XMAS gift program.
You wrote a clever piece of FTP code.

I tried tons! of guesses, and finally got it right.
Thanks for your email and the $20 gift, nicely done.

Thanks again, and a Happy New Year to everyone!
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 18:00
Quote: "Is it ok to manually write every data statement yourself? I've neither the time nor patience to make an editor."

Of course - nowhere does it say you have to write an editor, that option is just there for people that prefer to do it that way.

Visit www.andromedus.com today!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 22:12
@Bongadoo: I'm working on those tricks . I'm still working on the reversals, starslides, and air mail. It says I have 1 carnival and 1 double barrel, but I still have no idea how to do those .

I think it's recording all my cloudslides as starslides. You might want to check that.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 04:09
Here is a second version of my entry, a 3D shooting-gallery-style game.

Updates:
Added elves, who bring you powerups.
The enemies now rise and fall rather than just appearing and disappearing.
Now with a menu, more details directions, storyline intro.
Added a high score table.

Comments/Feedback appreciated

SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 07:29
So what was in the box?

Years of Service
User Offline
@bmaczero

I'll check out that starslide/cloudslide issue thanks Carnival is if you perform a flip from takeoff to landing, so if you're holding down rotate until you land basically. Double Barrel is delivering 2 presents in succession without touching the ground.

I thought about adding in tips to all the tricks, but thought it was more fun for people to try and find them themselves

I'll check out your update when I get home.

@SirFire

It was a:

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 11:31
bmaczero:

I only had one error in your code.
At line 379, it says if inkey$()="2" then gosub HighScores_

I would look out with the _ at the end. In some other editors (like in mine), this character is used for line concatenation.
I know it's not really a bug, but I'd say it anyway.

Very nice by the way! I couldn't see the effect of the powerups though (at least if the green targets were elves).
And also a small remark (probably not even worthy for mentioning), but at the startup with the story line, there's a 1px line at the bottom and right. Like your sprite or image is 1px too small...

Bongadoo:

That's very nice! I didn't detect any compiler errors whatsoever. Also a very nice interface. And the engine looks pretty neat too.

I don't really have remarks, though I agree that more buildings would be more fun to play...

Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I don't really have remarks, though I agree that more buildings would be more fun to play..."

Ok ok, I'll add some more buildings I suppose initially people will spend more time down there instead of going up, so makes sense

I may make it so that instead of going straight back to the initial jump height if you miss a combo, it just decreases a little bit. Might make it better for people to get higher easier.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 17:24 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2008 22:28
Well, I guess it's my turn now.

Operation Santa
controls
- upkey to walk forward
- left/rightkey to turn
- downkey to pick up or drop a present
- space to jump
- controlkey to view all the santa names

- Enter to type a command for your team.
Eg. type "follow me" to make everyone follow you. Ofcourse, you can also adress fellow santa's. If you for example type "Steve, stay there", the santa named steve will stay on it's place.
If you type "Steve, Bongadoo, jump on me" then both Steve and Bongadoo will jump on you to form a plateau to reach higher levels.

- You can select which santa you control by clicking him in the screen, at the right from the list, or use shift + arrow left/right.

All controls are also explained in the tutorial level.

The objective
The objective is simple: deliver the gifts at their destination (the cylinders effect-like things)

There aren't many levels right now. But I will make them tomorrow.
See my next post for the editor.

Oh and one more thing. I hope no one minds I used everyone's name for the santa's in the levels...
Please report any bugs!

Attachments

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 17:30 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 11:27
Here is the editor:
controls

- The buttons at the top show which type of object you want to create. Press on one for more options
To adjust positions and size, click the text and drag the mouse up or down.

When you haven't selected anything, press the "Create" button at the right to create a new object.

- You can select an object by just clicking on it.

- The export button will export the source code in data statements. (The data statements at the end of the game).
Copy/paste the code from the opened notepad, or save it as a new text file. (The temporary text file will be deleted afterwards!)
- The import button will open any text files exported by the editor.
- The play button will allow you to play the level.
The controls stay the same as in the original game.

Attachments

Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 18:39 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2008 18:41
I get a compile error with:

if object excluded(obj)

Apparently I don't have that command

Although I do have:

exclude object off

EDIT: Thought it might be a CodeSurge error, but tried in DB original editor and no luck

Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 19:02 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2008 19:10
@bmaczero

Nice game, I like the rapidfire I noticed the present directory is set to your hard drive location Just removed that and it was fine.

I also noticed that if I hold down escapekey too long from a menu such as scores, then it quits the game. You can stop that by adding a button position holder global or var. So:

The aim isn't quite square aswell for me, I don't know whether that's just because I'm widescreen. It goes off a little bit too much to the left when the mouse is left, and a little too much right when mouse is right screen.

Also, I modified my game to switch cloudside/starslide error. And made it so that you never lose current jump power unless you crash, which makes it a bit easier/more obvious to get up to cloudslide.

Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 19:13 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2008 19:14
@Sven B

Got it working by taking out the exclusion lines. Awesome game, I love the idea I get a problem with picking up the presents though. As soon as i press down the Santa I'm controlling goes shooting up in the air forever! Could be because I've disabled the object exclusion I'm not sure?

Very cool though, I like the way you type the commands to the Santas.

Also, like the Bongadoo Santa

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 19:21 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2008 19:24
@SvenB:

Thanks for pointing those things out, I'll go fix them. As for the powerups, there's only one so far. While the powerup is active, the screen should say "Rapidfire!", and if you then hold down the mouse button you can fire really fast.

I like your game! The only complaint I have is that it takes forever for me to do anything - the Santas walk way too slowly.

Edit: And the "Object excluded()" command is from IanM's Matrix dlls, that's why Bongadoo doesn't have it.

@Bongadoo

Ok, I can try that. As for the aim, it is a bit off - the pick screen command doesn't always work well. However, the present is always at least within the circle of the sight for me, so your widescreen probably has something to do with it.

Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 19:34 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2008 19:35
Quote: "As for the aim, it is a bit off - the pick screen command doesn't always work well."

Yea I remembed I had that once, it's because the distance in front of you varies depending on the angle of the surface. You can counteract it by taking an approximate angle of the slope you're aiming for and pick to that distance. But increasing the pick distance works well in this instance, 5000 seems to make it nice for me.

Do you not get that error with object exclusion for Sven's game then? Hmm.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 20:14
Yeah, his works fine for me, because I have that dll.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 12:24:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 12:24:46