Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC Supported Community Competitions

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 18:19 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 18:22
Prizes:

250 points for every user who enters a game into the competition.
500 points for stage 1 placements.
1000 Points for stage 2 placements

Then

First prize 4,000 + $100 TGC voucher
Second prize 2,000 + $50 TGC voucher
Thrid prize 1,000 + $30 TGC voucher

P.S. Anyone who has an iPod Touch or iPhone, have a look at iBlow! It's a fun little product from TGC, and only costs 59p from the apple itiunes store.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 19:09
Only store points and vouchers?

What happened to the good prizes of yesteryear, i.e. hardware, cash in hand, llamas with a petting zoo set etc

I'll still enter but I have no use for store points or vouchers, I even have some of both lying around somewhere.

Also, why are you advertising iBlow here? There's already a stickied topic on this board for it .

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 19:31
Quote: "
P.S. Anyone who has an iPod Touch or iPhone, have a look at iBlow! It's a fun little product from TGC, and only costs 59p from the apple itiunes store."

The price point is too low. It may be low so it can compete, but it's a price which seems barely worth paying

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 20:01
Oh, no more Retro Gamer subs up for grabs? This might be fun though, I'll consider entering

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 20:25
Stage 1 and stage 2 placements??

RYD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 01:46
retro huh? so you can make games from mobile devices like gamboy color

ARM YOURSELF WITH KNOLEGE
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 02:57
Quote: "Only store points and vouchers?

What happened to the good prizes of yesteryear, i.e. hardware, cash in hand, llamas with a petting zoo set etc

I'll still enter but I have no use for store points or vouchers, I even have some of both lying around somewhere.

Also, why are you advertising iBlow here? There's already a stickied topic on this board for it ."

The community competitions aren't replacements for the big competitions we run occasionally, but rather designed to provide a series of shorter competitions in the mean time. A way of getting people more involved in the community, and test their skills against everyone else.

I'm not advertising iBlow, I just played it. It's fun! That's all.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 11:58
Please refer to the Community competition board. I'll be making the official first competition announcement tomorrow.
SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 12:44
I'd just like to say that it is a disappointment to see that there are no tangible prizes available. While I appreciate the effort on TGC's part to motivate the community, the prizes listed above really only constitute a small portion of bandwidth from TGC servers. Vouchers and points can be pulled out of thin air, and while that represents a loss of potential profit for TGC which is admirable, the bottom line is the prizes just doBlow.

I think everyone should submit compo entries worthy of the less-than-astounding prizes, games like "Click on the bouncing ball" or "Press spacebar really fast".

Many of us were getting quite psyched up for this compo, only to find that perhaps our time would be better spent looking at webcomics.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 12:55 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 12:56
Quote: "I'd just like to say that it is a disappointment to see that there are no tangible prizes available"

Oh shut up, I think your face is disappointment

Quote: "only constitute a small portion of bandwidth from TGC servers"

Untrue, the TGC store is a stand alone now, is it not? That means you can pick up whatever you need from there.

Quote: "Vouchers and points can be pulled out of thin air"

Maybe thats the point.... They cant run themselves into the ground by giving out new PCs to winners for these *SMALLER* compos

Quote: "I think everyone should submit compo entries worthy of the less-than-astounding prizes, games like "Click on the bouncing ball" or "Press spacebar really fast"."

Oh come off it... Are you saying you dont make games because you enjoy it, you do it for the rewards?

Quote: "Many of us were getting quite psyched up for this compo"

I thought many of us still were psyched...

Quote: "doBlow"

He he, points for that clever pun...

PGDO. it consumes my every waking moment, that is not already being eaten by work / school / sleeping
SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 13:15
Smaller compos? Do we have small, medium, large, and super-sized TGC compos now? Sorry, I didn't get the memo. I retract my previous statements, sorry to fluff any feathers.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 16:46
I'm psyched to do this. Not that much to do with the prizes, but the knowledge that other people will be doing it, the buzz of competition, having a deadline to work towards and the prospect of getting noticed in the community.

I'm excited to get started on a retro project, of which there are a few i've always wanted to do but never got around to. I'm also excited to see what everyone else is going to make.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 17:10
Its not the rewards, or the winning, its the knowing you're not the worst one around

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 09:56
I like the idea of smaller compos with prizes of TGC products. It gives us armatures an incentive to complete projects. While learning new techniques and with the prospect of increasing our inventory of useful tools.

Without them I would not have Dark Physics, Dark Lights and Dark AI, Which are all excellent products. I think that TGC are incredibly generous.

I hope there are many entry’s and everyone gives it their best shot.

Bring it on, Is what I say.

and as always Good luck and have fun.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 12:26
So when are the details released? and where?

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 17:06
Today, on the community competition board. I should release all the details between 5pm and 8pm GMT today.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 17:36
Ill be ready and waiting =)
Can't wait to enter a comp!

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 19:39 Edited at: 27th Feb 2009 19:41
The post is made, you can see it HERE
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 21:12
I wonder if everyone actually knows about these, because this thread has been sitting around forever, and it seems like the only people in the compo board are the people who were in this thread.

I wish I had access to board 17.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 23:24
I guess it'll be in the next newsletter anyway.

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 23:30
I got the Newsletter a good week ago. You haven't?

It was in there though.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 01:20
Ah, so it is. never mind then. Chem time!

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 13:06
So, the first competition is over...

Blobby 101, are you still going ahead with your competition?

Now that i've entered one, I cant wait to enter more =)

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 22:30
That was fun. I hope these are a regular thing

mamaji4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 22:45 Edited at: 14th Apr 2009 00:20
It's been about 2-3 years since I last coded a game with good ol' DBC.
Nothing like a compo to get you motivated.
Whee!! Free store points.

What's the best stuff to download from the store? Any ideas?

Quote: "Its not the rewards, or the winning, its the knowing you're not the worst one around"

Har,har.
Yeah. That would really suck. I hope I'm not the one holding the "worst one around" trophy. Maybe they should give out 250 points for the worst entry, so you don't feel too bad.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 04:25
I dont think they will say who is the worst. There are more than 11 entrys, so after the first 10 get picked, youll have if you were last. I would hope they put out a review for each game though.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 21:42
Too right I won't. I'm not going to discourage anyone, just because someone didn't do very well this time, doesn't mean they can't do better next time. Critizing past attempts only serves to shake peoples confidence.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 02:15
Are you going to make little reviews of each game?

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 14:29
Ok, sorry for the extended wait guys. But the entry's have all been checked, varified and entered offically.

So what does this mean?

Starting next monday, I will announce 2 games every day that will make it into stage 3 of the judging. The stage 3 enties will then receive addional TGC Store points. I will announce them in the offical thread on the competition board, and in the judging progress thread.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 18:16
I'm pleased to announce the first two games making it into the next stage of the competition.

Labyrinth - by jeffhuys
Mechaniser - by Diggsey

Congratulations guys.

A little about these two entries.

Labyrinth

Labyrinth is a compelling ball and maze puzzle game with a twist. Using special squares on the map, you can change your rolling ball to stone or paper martial types. Use stone to roll large objects out of the way. Paper allows you to race over gaps, shoot up using fans, defying gravity each time. The well designed levels are both challenging and thought provoking. Combined with great looking graphics. The game is a pleasure to play.

Mechaniser

Mechaniser is a first rate physics puzzle game. Using an innovative interface, and game play design, you must roll the green flashing bowling ball into the green safe zone. Using pipe style scaffolding, wedges, and other tools. You can pin your structures together, press start, and watch your creations roll the ball into the intended target. With great game play, and puzzles that challenge. This game is a welcome addition to the competition, and one I'll likely be playing even after the competition is over.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 03:07
I cant help but think Ive seen that post somewhere else....
But, lots of congrats to the first 2 winners.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 00:12
I'm pleased to announce the second two games making it into the next stage of the competition.

Retroid - by Dragon Knight
SQUARES - by Juney

Congratulations guys.

Retroids

Retroids is a classic retro remake in the style of asteroid's. This colourful, fast paced game makes for quick, exciting game play. Exactly what you want from a mini game squeezed into your precious lunch break. With a number of power up's, colourful sparks and graphics, the game is both attractive, and well made.

Squares

While not the most graphically advanced of entries, Squares is a relatively simple puzzle game, that challenges. The player is presented with a grid of coloured squares. The goal is to remove all the squares from the screen by sliding a small 2x2 grid of the same colours into the center of the screen. By selecting the arrows at the end of each row, you can move any line only two spaces at first, as you remove squares from the screen your freedom becomes greater, yet doesn't diminish the challenge any. The easy to understand and pick up, yet challenging game play, is an ideal brain teaser.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 05:33
I'm pleased to announce the third two games making it into the next stage of the competition.

Evom - by MadrMan
Meteor Swarm - by Super Nova

Congratulations guys.

Evom

Evom is among the most unique game entries I've ever had the pleasure to judge in any competition. The graphics, while simple, are a fascinating mix of 3D and 2D technology. With an innovative, control system it may take a little getting used to, but for anyone looking for something different it's well worth the little extra effort. The game as far as I can tell runs along an evolution theme. You control a single cell, with the ability to jump short distances, stick to walls and DNA balls. If you cling to a DNA ball long enough it vanishes granting you a DNA bonus. You must of course do combat with or evade other cells, making the game simple, yet the game's action complex and involving. The game was a pleasure to play, and one I look forward to revisiting.

Meteor Swarm

Meteor Swarm, is a 2D game based on the well known asteroids theme. However rather than sticking to the old formula with updated graphics, the author crossed it with a mouse aim system, keyboard movement controls, and side screen menu options allowing you to select power ups when needed. The power up's come in two flavours, the primary weapon, which shoots small yellow bullets in a number of different patterns. The default is something we are all familiar with. A Stream of bullets shooting out. But as you kill off the spinning rocks, your primary weapon gage increases, allowing you to use a number of other patterns. You can spray bullets much like a spray can in a forward angle, or all around your ship with many, short range bullets as a shield style weapon with much shorter range. The narrower the angle of the attack, the greater the range of that attack. But the author doesn't end it there, with a number of other special secondary weapons, including black hole, shield, laser beams, you are not spoilt for choice. These weapons are harder to recharge and repeat, demanding only occasional use. With no lives, just a built in shield bar, the game offers you many chances to survive and cause asteroid mayhem for as long as you can. But be careful, and don't take the game too lightly, it does have a habit of sneaking up on you.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 01:22 Edited at: 8th May 2009 08:25
I'm pleased to announce the forth set of two games making it into the next stage of the competition.

Nebula - by bmaczero
World Championship Darts - by dvader

Congratulations guys.

Nebula

Nebula, is a puzzle mini game set in a space setting. Your job is to target the enemy base with a mine launcher. Sounds straight forward? There's a twist, various obstacles such as deflector beams, destruction beams and even planets lay between you and the target. The aim is to destroy the base using as few mines as possible. Using blue deflectors to bounce the mines, avoiding the orange lines with vaporise them, and finally using planets gravitational fields to slingshot them around. While the initial levels are a little easy they do get harder and more complicated. The addition of a level editor allows you to expand the game further.

World Championship Darts

World Championship Darts is a classic dart board simulation. The object is to start with 301 points, and work your score down to zero. To finish each set you must hit either a double or the bulls eye. With great, simple, clean graphics, and a good attention to detail. The game throws a few curves at the player making game play challenging and worth while. Throwing the dart at the wire will see it bounce off, with a drifting hand, the player has to constantly compensate when throwing. The A.I. feels like your playing another imperfect player, without being so dumbed down it’s not a challenge. This is a well designed dartboard simulation, that as earned it’s right to the next stage.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 18:02 Edited at: 18th May 2009 18:02
The first finalist of the week, is!

World Championship Darts

World Championship Darts is a classic dart board simulation. The object is to start with 301 points, and work your score down to zero. To finish each set you must hit either a double or the bulls eye. With great, simple, clean graphics, and a good attention to detail. The game throws a few curves at the player making game play challenging and worth while. Throwing the dart at the wire will see it bounce off, with a drifting hand, the player has to constantly compensate when throwing. The A.I. feels like your playing another imperfect player, without being so dumbed down it’s not a challenge. This is a well designed dartboard simulation, that as earned it’s right to the next stage.

Comments from the judges:

Thomas: I found this game hard to control and frustrating, but it looks great! A beginners mode would be nice.

Daniel: This is a fantastic game with great graphics and challenging game play. It took me a while to realise I had to end the game on a double, for a long time I thought it was broken code! But once I realised how it worked. I couldn't get enough of it.

Keith: This is a classic case of a game that doesn't have to be burdened with "Next-Gen" graphics, or in-depth gameplay (or even original in concept). Just a nice game to play when you have a few spare minutes. Two thumbs up from me.

Congratulations to DVADER who has made it into the final five.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 12:44
Ajem, I'm sorry Daniel, but I miss here the last two entries:

Evo.war - by Darkcoder
Lightspeed- by Joosh_Mooney
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 16:44
The next game to make it to the final round, is!

Evo.war

Evo.war is another fine entry from the well known developer, Darkcoder. As is usual, his attention to visual detail and innovative game play sets it aside from other entries. The principle behind the game, is to take a standard side scrolling shooter in the R-Type style, and collect DNA as you work through the levels. You can then “evolve” your ship using collected DNA creating different designs. The game defaults to a forward firing egg, using WASD keys to move, and the mouse to aim. This combination of control methods is be rather completed at times. However you have a selection of different weapon configurations that can compensate for this. I did quite well using the cyclone format. Rather than shooting a stream of bullets, it allowed for a couple of spiral’s to form up and down of the ship. More effectively clearing the screen, while allowing me to focus on dodging. The game play can be very intense at times, almost frustrating, however the ability to adapt your ship to your preferred playing style is a major boom. The in built tutorials means you don’t have to guess at how the game works. This is the most graphically superior of all the game entries I reviewed, combined with it’s unique game play, Darkcoder once again finds himself a strong contender in the competition.

Comments from the judges:

Thomas: Appearance was very good, but the game play lacked a bit of control I felt, it wasn't particularly easy to use, but very well made.

Daniel: I enjoyed the unique idea behind using an organic ship, you design while you play the game. The interface needs some work, but the graphics and ships themselves where very creative, and entertaining. The fact you can adapt to your own style of combat was brilliant, but I can see it being just out of the norm enough to throw off the average player. Another great game from DarkCoder, in the standard we've come to expect from him.

Keith: Although the graphics of this game were outstanding; I found the interface a bit difficult, and a few of the ships were too slow to match the pace of the game. Good effort though.

Congratulations DarkCoder! You've made it to the final five.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 16:46
Why the hell is judging taking so long?

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 16:59 Edited at: 19th May 2009 17:01
Benjamin <-- it's for the suspense xD

3 people have already tried to shoot themselves but because the suspense was so intense along with the specials effects of the bullets going at the correct speed of 88 miles per hour, they went back in time to the J-F-K assassination just missed him and his head exploded with sheer amazement .

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 18:52 Edited at: 19th May 2009 18:53
Quote: "Why the hell is judging taking so long?"

Well we do have real lives, jobs, families...etc. Sorry it's not going fast enough for you, Ben.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 01:07
Sorry is no where near good enough, sir.
Congrats DarkCoder, I bet wherever you are, you are giddy with excitement.

Check out my current WIP. SLIME 09
forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149899&b=8
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 02:07
It's taking so long, because I'm timing the final announcement to be released with the TGC newsletter. You'll get thrid and second place entrys next week, then the winner upon the newsletter release.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 01:59
Just seen this. Downloaded the 10 games included in the Newsletter and tried a couple of them.

Both were very nice and the absence of step by step instructions in both of them just added to the fun.

Hope to try the others later.
Potassium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 20:29 Edited at: 10th Aug 2009 20:29
When's the next competition?

There are 2 ways to develop for the N64:
1. Develop C code with PsyQ SDK and illegal Nintendo libs
2. Develop C code with legal kits, such as the Ground Zero devkit (g0dev.zip)
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2009 04:19
There's no new competition planned at the moment. I'll let you know when there is one. On the community competions board.

Potassium
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright hopefully there's a competition mentioned in the October or November newsletters.

In the meantime, I'll do my school work and try to improve coding skills.

There are 2 ways to develop for the N64:
1. Develop C code with PsyQ SDK and illegal Nintendo libs
2. Develop C code with legal kits, such as the Ground Zero devkit (g0dev.zip)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 05:30:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 05:30:25