Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Which is EXACTLY why we should go for it!"

As much fun as it would be to make an online game, it just isn't a possibility at the moment. In the future, maybe, but, as a team, most of us still can't program properly and neatly. If we can't do that, then we can't tackle one of the most complicated command sets of darkbasic (at least as far as I have observed).

Anyone have any other viewpoints?

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 00:42 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 00:45
Here's what I got so far on my project. I dont know how to handle 3d yet so it was all done in 2d. The concept and gameplay are at least similar.

I hadn't done anything other than the battle aspect so it will skip right into battle after the logo intro.

The media used are not arranged into a folder cause I was being lazy.

Keys:
Arrow keys, Spacebar

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 18:07 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 18:11
Wow, that's pretty Beastly, Ashingada, but see if you can beat this!

[edit]
orry, here's the code:

And yes, I know there aren't any comments.

~QJ

Attachments

iron programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 18:37 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 18:38
Ha, ha-ha!

Do you guys even remember me?
If you do, why did I ever quit?
My band fizzled. I forgot how to program. A hurricane ate me.

I'm kidding about the last one. Just checking your guy's progress. How's it going?

*Edit*
Don't take this as asking to rejoin; I'm just checking on you guys.

mi keety tot mi gramer?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Quirkyjim
Good structure for your codes it's clean and easy to follow dispite not having much REMs. The game itself was suprisingly enjoyable.

I got a severe exception as soon as I'm about to attack a creature, happens everytime I try.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If you do, why did I ever quit?"

Hey, haven't seen you around here in a while! Hows it going.

Sorry guys, I haven't had time to test anything, I have a TON of homework due tomorrow afternoon, so I have been busy with that and work for the last couple days, will get back on the ball soon.

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
im in and i have a firm grasp of bltz3d but are new to darkbasic so if you could help me out a little that would be nice
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 16:27 Edited at: 1st Dec 2008 16:29
im in too. i have a fair bit of knowledge but i admit im a noob.

edit i saw everyone was posting current projects and mine is a text rpg
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 16:55 Edited at: 1st Dec 2008 19:36
Welcome guys, great to have more to paticipate, hope we can all learn alot together. In fact I've learned a great deal since I got in.

If you have something specific you want to know about there are great tutorials on this forum, or just ask.

Everyone is currently doing a personal projects and posting it. We had a 1.5 week worth of time to work on it, it's to better see where your current skill level is and what you are capable of.

If someone is a bit behind we'll help them catch up because working as a team we'll need everyone to at least be near the same skill level or have a good understand of basic coding.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Right now for all the new guys, your project is the one on the main page: make an ANALOGUE clock. Note, this must draw the hands and the face based off of the system time. And of course, if you have trouble, just let us know.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 21:36 Edited at: 1st Dec 2008 21:36
It's quite a tricky challenge for newbies so don't feel bad if you get stuck
Part of being a good programmer is recognising when you are lacking some knowledge you need to solve a problem.

A small program that works is better than a large one that doesn't.

DBC Challenge Rank: Rookie
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 22:11
@Ashingada

Yeah, that problem seems to be coming up on other computers, but not mine: it's really weird. I'll get working on that.

~QJ
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 02:06
Quote: "It's quite a tricky challenge for newbies so don't feel bad if you get stuck
Part of being a good programmer is recognising when you are lacking some knowledge you need to solve a problem."

Being a good speller is checking your posts for spelling errors before you post !

Anyways, I'll try to make a clock, just to refresh my memory since I haven't used Windows in a while.

"I reveal my trap card, GEORGE DUBYA BUSH!
America loses 2000 Life Points! America loses." -Deucalion2
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 02:17
I think he's just British

Quote: "analogue"

~QJ
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol, oops, no I am not British, just hit a wrong key and chose the first spelling in the spell check.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 02:41
Quote: "recognising when you "

Should be 'that', however that is not a spelling error. And what a weird comment to make Sinani.

HEH!
You thought I missed it.
'recognizing"

Now back to the topic at hand.

I download memory.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 02:59 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2008 02:59
@Irojo
how's your tetris project comming, I was looking forwards to your update.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 03:06 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2008 03:09
recognise is the correct spelling thank you very much.
and analogue is spelt correctly too!
and I did mean "when" as in "on the occasions you find yourself lacking in knowledge", using "that" would be a bit like saying "and when you realise you're a dumbass noob..."

What Americans don't appreciate is that English was formed over hundreds of years and is a mix of many languages that have different rules, so some words have different rules for how to spell and pronounce them. If you change it all to follow one set of rules you disregard all of the other languages that went into making English.
I get annoyed with it sometimes but I still think it is better for it.
"For Harry and St. George!" see I can laugh at myself.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Back on topic here:

Quirkyjim:

Interesting. My advice, try putting the stats permanently in the upper right corner or something.

Also, rather than just checking for if the user types "yes" or "no" use lower$ and some extra cases:

IF LOWER$(input$)="yes" or "y" then...
IF LOWER$(input$)="no" or "no" then..

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 21:49
see, the thing is that it gives me an error when I try to use or in anything other and repeat...until loops...

~QJ
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 23:04 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2008 23:16
Why not just:

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work ashingda.

Here are a couple things code wise:

Quote: "
if check = 1 then Dr = 3
if check = 2 then Dr = 2
if check = 3 then Dr = 1
if check = 4 then Dr = 4
if check = 5 then Dr = 0
"

It might be better just to use a select endselect, so that it would look like this:

Just curious though, why didn't you make the values of Dr correspond directly to the values of check? If you did, you could do all of that in 1 line:

Dr=Menu(80,100,8*10,32,"Advance,Retreat,MoveUp,MoveDown,Standby",0)

Other than that, didn't see too much, though the movement ai seems to be a bit buggy (2 guys attacking the general with two openings on the top and bottom but the troops just walk left and right off to the side).

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
What BN2 showed was just an example. When using OR the whole argument has to be typed out again so to use it properly it:

IF LOWER$(input$)="yes" or LOWER$(input$)="y" then...
IF LOWER$(input$)="no" or LOWER$(input$)="n" then...

To shorten that one line up so you can read it if it's too long you can do:

I$ = LOWER$(input$)
IF I$="yes" or I$="y" then...
IF I$="no" or I$="n" then...
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 00:19 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 00:21
A good trick when checking typed input is only to check for unique characters not the entire string; so for a yes/no question you could do this...

(I used upper because I know 65 in ascii is capital A)
You can see how SELECT is useful when messing around with strings like this, it means you don't have to write it all again like in the above. Another advantage is that you can specify a default outcome; so if they don't type Y or N the program will do something instead of staring blankly at you.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 00:22 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 00:27
Quote: "It might be better just to use a select endselect, so that it would look like this:"

Yes I did think of that at one point. Prefrence wise I like the IF..Then command more cause it's easier for me to type and modify. Select..Case does look cleaner but I'm more comfortable with the first. Besides the way it looks are there any other advantages from using Select..Case spec wise?

Quote: "Just curious though, why didn't you make the values of Dr correspond directly to the values of check? If you did, you could do all of that in 1 line:"

It's because the value for Dr is the direction the troops are moving. It's an old habit because I use to use the keyboard scan codes to input for the arrow keys in the NUMlock area. 72=Up 75=Left 78=Right 80=Down and it's just stuck with me to use 1=Up 2=Left 3=Right 4=Down when checking for arrowkeys, I keep this order consistant in all my codings.

The listing in the Menu(function) gives a different value than the direction Dr will recieve. So It will have to be converted manualy and that way it's also open for adjusting.

[edit]

As you can see Check=1 will make Dr=3 and not Dr=1.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The listing in the Menu(function) gives a different value than the direction Dr will recieve. So It will have to be converted manualy and that way it's also open for adjusting. "

You could write menu so that it gives the feedback correctly, or rearrange your menu options (just an idea).

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You could write menu so that it gives the feedback correctly, or rearrange your menu options (just an idea).
"

That's true, but Menu() is supose to be multi purpose function for making any other menus. I can rearange the options withing the menu to:

Standby
MoveUp
Retreat
Advance
MoveDown

But that wont really fit with the game.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 00:44 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 00:46
Quote: "1=Up 2=Left 3=Right 4=Down when checking for arrowkeys, I keep this order consistant in all my codings."

Try using binary numbers for that
Up=1, Right=2, Down=4, Left=8
then add them all together to give an input
in= upkey() + rightkey()*2 + downkey()*4 + leftkey()*8
This allows you to have diagonal movement as every possible input is unique.
If in= 3 the direction is Up and to the Right.
Just a suggestion.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
o.0 That's awsome, I like it very much, will use that from now on.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, didn't even think of that obese. That reminds of a project I was working on a while ago, reading guitar button presses from an xbox 360 guitar hero guitar. The idea was to simplify the random button press system by just choosing a random number, then decoding that into what buttons needed pressing. It was interesting, requiring some logs but it worked (I am sure there was a better way to do it, but I got it to work using some LN math).

Ashinda, if you want the decoding method (though I am not exactly sure why) I can get the functions for you.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ashinda, if you want the decoding method (though I am not exactly sure why) I can get the functions for you."

Yes please, sounds intresting and some future or personal project might find a use of it.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 05:05 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 05:08
Here it is. Not super commented, unfortunately. This code itself was just a test program that I later plugged into the main program.

Let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Should we continue on to the next project or wait keep waiting for people?
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 05:41 Edited at: 6th Dec 2008 05:41
I wanted to post Furious Pickaxe, however BN2 doesn't seem to want to.

I thought that would attract loads of people.

Otherwise, we should start.

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I wanted to post Furious Pickaxe, however BN2 doesn't seem to want to."

Yes I do. In fact I have a post ready so I just need to compile the game, zip it, and put it up for download with the post. Been busy with finals and such as of late.

You guys can post your projects and I will take a look at them now. These will help the next manager in determining what kind of jobs you will be assigned for the next project.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
What did we ever decide for the next project?

I vote that we do something and REALLY try to get it done in a month or so. I won't have school so I will be open, so I will be able to manage it again.

BTW I am going to post the program announcement now.

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 23:02
I think we decided on doing a tower defense game.

~QJ
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 23:37
@Ashingada

I was just looking back over your code, and I found one thing. You use a lot of variable = variable + integer. I might recommend using inc to do this.

P.S. If you don't know how to use it, here's a demo:

~QJ
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Right. Before we get started, everyone please post your personal projects or say something about it (I will accept my dog ate my project).

So, brainstorming:

What is involved in the game:

Waypoint AI System-The enemies will all follow the same path

Tower AI-Selecting a target and shooting it until dead, or until it passes out of range.

Score keeping- simple but necessary. Essentially, once a target reaches the end, remove from total lives.

Currency- whatever we choose (dollars, credits, bottlecaps...) you have to be able to GET them and SPEND them. Which means that we will need:

Store/Item management-You must be able to buy items (possibly including upgrades) and place them. Sometimes there are aoe items, such as glue or
spikes, or simple turret types.

Media needed:
Targets+animations-Need animations for when they die

Map-Shouldnt be needed to play the game, just for effect, the enemies should still follow the same routine regardless if we have it or not

Towers+animations-Shooting animations are a must as are the explosion type animations

GUI and Menus

Shop gfx

Things to add if time permits:

Getting hit slows down the target

Different tower types (we will start from 1 and go from there if we have time)

Unlockables/achievements-If they kill X number of enemies, then they are able to purchase the super mega tower or whatever

Let me know if you guys think of anything else! Once we get a good idea of what we are doing, we can start a new thread. Right now we are just brainstorming what will be needed.

Also, for those who are interested, here is the program announcements thread for FP: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=141194&b=5

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 23:55
Okay my wip project that's not working...

Could anyone tell me why it's not working?

~QJ
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright quirkyjim, prepare so smack yourself in the forehead repeatedly.

Quote: "function draw_box(x1,y1,x1,y2,color)"

should be

Quote: "function draw_box(x1,y1,x2,y2,color)"

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 00:06
Oh yeah! Thanks.

~QJ
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 00:18 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 00:24
Fixed and changed to

But it's giving me this:

~QJ

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
What should it be giving you?

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 00:45
something like

~QJ

Attachments

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 00:50
Got it!

~QJ
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 00:53
Okay, final version!

~QJ
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Next time, to stop from triple posting, just use the edit button. Good job, will check it out in a little while when I finish some work.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Quirkyjim
Personaly I'd stay away from using INC/DEC because I find it hard to work with while testing variables back and forth and it's kinda hard to see what's going on IMO.

Another big reason why I stay away from it is because you cannot INC/DEC arrays and it's just my habbit of trying to keep my coding consistant so I won't confuse myself.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 01:42 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 01:43
I'm trying to catch up on all these posts, but here's what I've got so far.
BN2-
You said we should code in enemies getting slowed down in the TD if we have time after, however, I think that should be part of the original code. As in, the enemy get's moved forward based on their speed.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to make the targetting system.
Actually, I think I might have what I need in my recent DBCC entry.

Nice program announcements thread.

I download memory.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 05:45:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 05:45:25