Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Nice program announcements thread."

Ty.

Quote: "You said we should code in enemies getting slowed down in the TD if we have time after"

If we write the code correctly, then it shouldn't be a problem to add it in later, but I think we shouldn't put it in the first build (just get what is necessary, then add it). Just an thought though. Anyone have an opinion?

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 02:24 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 02:39
@Quirkyjim
Good job, I had a look through your codes and put remarks on it about my thoughs.

[edit]

Great job brainstorming BN2, about assignments I believe I can handle most of the picture media and I have an idea about tackleing the Tower AI and Waypoint AI.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, anything else to add? If not, it may be time for a new thread

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 16:39 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 16:44
Yes we should get started, anyone comming here should continue and catch up onto the next DarkNOOB Project thread.

If you havent done so and still wish to you can still post your clock/personal projects here.

Note: For anyone who hasn't read Obese's Tutorial: How To Write Well Presented And Efficient Code, It will be helpful to take a look at it.

Here's the Link
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=138230&b=10
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 21:59
@BN2
Srry about that! I ddn't even realize I was doing that.

Anyways...
I've got a NEW version that is even better!

~QJ
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 22:16 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 22:32
Hey i would like to jion i have my code but it has media is that all right. And i use dbpro.

edit 1: i know its dark basic but this really looked cool and i thought i would ask. Also here is code and exe

edit 2: i didnt put media because its mine and i didnt want to give it away

I was here.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Try using DATA and READ it's shorter and easier on the eye.

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 22:21
@Stefan

Please look at the forum title: DarkBASIC. As to joining, you'll have to ask someone else.

~QJ
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Stefan p
You're welcome to join but if you dont have dbc it might prove to be very hard to cooperate with the rest of the team. I personaly have both and from my understanding of it, the 2 versions aren't 100% compatible with each other codewise. So you can't just copy and paste, or download and test/run and It makes it hard.

Heck, even amoungst us who uses dbc it's still not 100% compatible cause of different machines and specs.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 22:52 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 22:58
@Stefan
Welcome to the team! My only request is that you stay away from the darkbasic pro exclusive commands (we will let you know if some of them come up), since we can't compile them (most of us have dbc only). Just curious, how did you find out about the team? Did you see this post or another?

Interesting program, though I couldn't figure out the controls completely.
As far as the code goes, please indent your code. Here is an example:
Instead of

Make it look like this:

notice how it is easier to see at a glance where the different sections begin and end.

Note 2: Don't forget comments in your code. It had a couple, but none that really explains what everything does, or, better yet, WHY it does what it does. Just keep it in mind as we begin our project that we can't read your mind and we need some help helping you.

That being said, welcome again! I see no problems with you joining, just watch out for the dbp exclusive commands.

Quote: "Note: For anyone who hasn't read Obese's Tutorial: How To Write Well Presented And Efficient Code, It will be helpful to take a look at it."

Definitely, I agree. In fact, everyone: YOU MUST READ IT!! It is very helpful and the advice in there should be implemented into your code, not to mention that we have pretty much already decided that we will be implementing some (if not all) of the things in there for our projects.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright guys, I created the new thread. All discussion for this project should be posted there. As I said in there, lets try to get this done in about a month (by january 5th, giving us 4 weeks).

It might be too soon, but I think it is a reasonable time (hopefully it will stop us from going on a 3 month project again)

Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 14:03
@ Bn2 use arrowkeys to move and shirft to shoot.
also for anyone who wants to see an advanced version here it is.

I was here.
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 14:04 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2009 22:59
by the way the controls are the same;except now there is 2 player. w,a,s,d,controls the second player.

Sorry for double posting

I was here.

Attachments

Jamesb187
Years of Service
User Offline
As requested by BN2, some code that I wrote to demonstrate my skills (or lack thereof!). It's a Space Invaders clone, probably could have been written in a quarter of the lines but that's why I'm joining the DarkNoobs team - to learn how to do this kind of stuff better!

Attachments

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 05:15
Being no master myself, I'm not going to tear it apart, however, a few comments on it:

You seem to know how to do proper format. Excellent. You have alot of Arrays, which shows you understand the concept of that.
And you controlled the enemies movement quite well.

In this noobs opinion, you will be a valuable addition to the team.

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
There are a couple things I take issue with with the code. What irojo said is right though, you do know what you're doing.

I would suggest putting some of the long lists of similar commands (such as load images and setting variables) together in subroutines, just to clear clutter.

Also, this caught my eye:

Whenever you have more than 2-3 nested if-thens (as it appears you have about 10 here) that is usually an indicator that you could do it better.

Without even looking at the code, you could use the SELECT command, which is like nested if's, but cleaner and neater. The syntax is:

Whats cool about the SELECT command, is that at the very end, before the endselect but after the last ENDCASE, you can put a CASE DEFAULT in which you put the commands that will be done should NONE of the other cases be true.

After looking at the code, I realized that it COULD be done in about 5 lines or so. Observe:

And I am sure there is a better way to do that as well. I will get onto checking out your program later tonight, but wanted to give you a couple pointers.

Nice looking code though, and I look forward to running the program.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 06:00 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 06:07
Quote: "And I am sure there is a better way to do that as well."

Yup you can do that in one line actually.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Good idea ashingda! I knew there was a reason we were keeping you around! J/K

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 06:25 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 07:12
@BN2

@Jamesb
As for your codes, nice work on the game btw, a few things I'd comment on.

1) When using Bitmap you do not need to constantly change it.

You do not need to change bitmap to 1, then change back to 0 befor sync because you will already copy bitmap 1 to 0. After creating the bitmap 1, you can work in that current bitmap entirely without haveing to change to bitmap 0 at all.
So the following changes should also work fine. I just took out the set current bitmap.

2) While using multiple arrays that are similar, for example

You can also use a multi element array to group it together.

This way you can add as many ShieldArray as you wish without typing too much.

3) The same thing goes for Variables that are similar.

This can be something like:

Or
Jamesb187
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 06:45 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 06:48
@ BN2/Irojo
thanks once again for the pointers, all invaluable. When you're learning to code by yourself without input, you come up with a way of doing something and then just keep doing it that way, without considering other, more elegant means of doing it - getting input from you guys really helps me see those other, better ways!

@ Ashingda
Such as that score code, how clever! Thanks And the other tips are greatly appreciated. I hadn't used multi-dim arrays yet as couldn't see how they could be useful - it's obvious now how these should be used.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Jamesb
Oops I looked at the wrong name, stefan's post was right above your's and I mistook. I corrected my last post lol.

But yeah you do have a good grip on arrays, just recently I was using arrays similar to you until I learned of multi-dimension on this forum . The 3d-array dim(x,y,z) is what I mostly use nowadays.
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 22:58
bump

I was here.
iron programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 01:03 Edited at: 4th Jan 2009 01:40
D'you guys need music?

Here's my thread:
Music

And if you guys wanna join my band(for video-game music):
Band

OK

mi keety tot mi gramer?

(My kitty taught me grammer.)
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 01:23
Post on Dark noob project 2

I was here.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright guys, I know the last project isn't done yet. However, for all those who aren't participating, here are your assignments.

Work on a project that you would like to see the team do next. The media doesn't need to be there, just the code. Everything can be in boxes for all I care.

If you are new to the team here is what you should be working on:

The infamous Analog clock. This is just to see how you approach the problem, and a way for the next project manager to figure out where you are in learning.

Ashingda, keep us up to date on the current project so we can know when it is done.

@Obese
Haven't seen you around here for a while. How is the computer hunt going?

@Team
Sorry guys again for dropping out of the last project. I knew I wouldn't have much time in the first place but I didn't want to see the team die. With the next project, I plan on taking a programming role, since I still consider myself a bit of a noob on certain things.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 20:16
Hey

Are there still positions for noobs? Coz im quite happy to accept my lack of skills as noobish...
I know i should have read the thread but 15 pages is a lot so i was wondering how far have you got into your project?,what is it your making?, and is there anything i could possibly help with?

And ill post a clock later either today or tomorrow (i just found this thread and wanted to post first, code later)

Thank you
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Monk
The current project is on the DarkNoob Project 2 thread. It's a Tower Defense game and we are near completion.

Things we still need:

Dialogs - Every now and then have helpful tips pop up in the dialog box. The only dialog we have right now is, "You dont have enough money"
More Towers - Few more would be nice but not necessary.
More Maps - Same as above.

Other Things:

Play testing - Been hearing the game is too easy.
Bug fix
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 22:52
Right well here is my clock, took a while to get the angles working

Hope thats good enough.

How many people have you got working on the game?, can I help? or should I wait for the next project?

Happy to play a game anytime and Id try to give feedback etc
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Good work Monk! If you want a little extra challenge (though not too much of one) you can add in the numbers on the face of the clock. Talk to Ashingda about getting in on the project, as I have resigned from managing it due to time constraints.

Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 21:44
We Could have it tested. Me and Ashingda are working on it and submsson for quirky jim and others, Its in credits here is the link to current project thread.http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=10&t=141261&p=4

I was here.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 19:21 Edited at: 10th Jan 2009 19:23
Hey here's a thought, after every project we can brieftly write about or discuss on what we learned from that project and what we still need to improve on.
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 21:03 Edited at: 10th Jan 2009 21:03
Best Idea for next project. A Fps or a game engine.

I was here.
BRD GaM3S 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys. Dark basic did not work on my computer for the last four months but now I've sorted it. Is it 2 late to join? I'm good at making 2d graphics i suppose.

Space invaders was on of the most simple games, but that doesn't mean to say that it's crap. What? It is? Oh, fine then.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@BRD:
Nope, not too late to join. Talk to ashingda or stefan to find out how you can help in the current project. Otherwise, prepare a short program that will demonstrate your programming skill (even the Hello World program if that is the extent of it). This is just so that we know where you are.

@Stefan:
The way we will be determining the next project is by everyone with an idea creating a game within a time limit then we vote. The winner is the game we will create, with its original creator as the manager. If you want one of those, by all means, work on it and get all you can done on it before we begin the next project (probably not for a while though).

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 14:47
Well if you want @ brd you can make a program post so we see were you are then we'll tell you what you can do. Were almost done go to this link to see the project [href]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=10&t=141261&p=4
[/href]

I was here.
Foolony
Years of Service
User Offline
This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but i'm having trouble using my images in my games. I've been doing blitz plus for awhile but am brand new to DarkBasic. So if anyone can tell me how to upload images into my game that would be great
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 19:21 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 19:21
The commands are Load Image and Paste Image. Type these into the editor, place the cursor on them and press F1 to see help.
Foolony
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, i know how to load images. But whenever i try to load an bitmap i made it says file has not been found. Is there a certain folder i have to save the bitmap in?
arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
im a noob to darkbasic with a firm grasp of blitz3d can i help
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2009 14:05
@ arbiter chewbacca hybrid make an example program that shows you skillz in DB

I was here.
Foolony
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay so i made a basic matrix. Now how do i load an object onto it. Everytime i load and position the object either the matrix or the object doesnt appear. !!HELP!!
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 14:52 Edited at: 15th Jan 2009 14:56
@arbiter
Anyone's welcome to help, but note that these are projects for noobs wanting to learn/improve in DarkBasic.

@Foolony
If you haven't checked this out, it should help you alot.
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t01/3d_tutorial_index

@Everyone
The Project2 Tower Defense is now finnished. All that's left is playtesting and bug fixes.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Roger that. Then in that case I open up the free project period. Lets put this one a little longer though.

Deadline: Feb. 21

Everyone who has an idea for what the next project should be needs to make it and post it here by then. We will then vote on the one we want to do the most and the creator will manage the creation of the game

I will draw the line and say that new members (new noobs?) can't manage the next project. Sorry. Once you get one under your belt, you can manage.

BTW good job ashingda. I will check it out tonight when I get off work. From the comments on the thread it should be pretty cool. Don't forget to host it and post it on the forums in the archive section.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 18:55 Edited at: 15th Jan 2009 19:07
We dont have an archive section in the DarkNOOBGames forum, I have the zip hosted and made a thread in the Current Project linking the latest version.

For the next project, as we have more new members I think it's a good idea to lower the project level so we can focus more on the basics such as organization, legibility and efficiency of coding.

My suggestion for the next project is a Pac Man game, will summit the experimental codes later.

@BN2
I think the deadline is too long this time but what ever works.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I just sorta spitballed the deadline at about a month, but that hit Valentines day, which I imagine isn't the most helpful date, so I put an extra week in. If you have a better idea, shout it out.

Pac Man could work. I do agree though, we should hold back a little more and focus on the basics.

Great Quote:
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys still recruiting?
I am currently struggling with the lack of documentation and am looking to strike out solo or even with a team on indie games industry.
DarkBasic seriously lacks in documentation, so my take is that a team is better.
I've got Dark Shader, DB Pro, and L3DT Pro (the most awsome terrain generation tool honestly). I hope the team is serious though. PM me if interested!
Foolony
Years of Service
User Offline
K. Thanks for the help Ashingda 27.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 21:52 Edited at: 15th Jan 2009 22:21
@BN2
Ohh yeah that's right, makes sense. I don't keep track of these events very well.

@Kernunos
We're still noobs here, and my though is if you're serious as a noob you wanna complete as many projects as you can to gain the needed experience. The way I see it, this team is created for people like us to do just that because it's easier to start and complete as a team than solo. We are always recruiting, although it's not really for our benifit but for the recruit themselves.

Since the project is done I wana take some time and reflect about some of the things that was learned or improved on.

I was never really any good with math aside from the simple +-*/ operators. I improved a great deal while working on the tower AI such as finding distance or trajectory and learned other ways how to use them.

- While checking collision I'll normally use a CheckArea() function to check a boxed area. But if you use a Distance check, you'll check an area in a radius.

My method of checking for Collision improved. I had to learn how to better manipulate the memblock for this project and it worked wonderfully. This project used 2 memblocks for collision checks, one for the Path so we cannot place towers on it and the other was for the towers so we do not overlap the towers.

I atempted a Priority routine with the towers, as you may have knotice. If you place a tower on the map then place another just above it, the 2nd tower apears on back or is drawn behind the first tower. Although this works, it was slow and archaic. I later improved upon it demonstrated on another post I made recently about Paste Priority. The reason I use this method is because DB sprites are slow.

Lastly I learned how to better work multiple sound effects near the end, it was actually quite simple and displaying menus became easier.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 22:33 Edited at: 16th Jan 2009 17:09
Sounds like you had fun Ashingda
A suggestion for the next project, how about making a demo or application instead of a game, as that would test different skills.
@ Ashingda, i cant code as well as you but i can do A level maths sort of stuff so maybe i could help the team in that way in the next project, unless someone else is better (very likely) in which case i can just generally help out.

Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Great, sounds fun Ashingda.
Seems you guys are serious AND fun.
How can I join?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 07:38:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 07:38:59