Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 23:10
@Kernunos

Make a program displaying your current skills. This way we can find decent job assignments. Then, as we are in "between projects" period, you have the option to start a new project, that we will do together if we like it.

Time is money. I just ripped you off.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "How can I join? "

Have been hearing that a lot To join, just say you want to and write a small program that will demonstrate your mastery of the language so far. Don't worry if all you can do is the Hello World Program, you will get better. Then just post the program code here.

The idea is that the program will let the next project manager know where your skills are.

That being said, welcome to the team everyone (and whatever happened to Obese?)

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 23:30 Edited at: 15th Jan 2009 23:53
Alright, do you have a suggestion?
Im not very good at dark basic pro yet, language wise.
And also, especially at trigonometry.
Everyone has to start somewhere though

Ok, im gonna make some simple advanced terrain stuff, freshly generated and try to apply a fullscreen shader!
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I did, well, halfly. I could not understand how to get the shader working. I've set the camera effects, loaded it, but could not work out the details to actually get a fullscreen bloom effect.
Another thing I did not worked out was camera strafing.
The "mouse look" routine also, I borrowed from AT Demo, since my trigonometry is dust. The rest, the artwork, everything from the tiniest textures to the mesh is mine.
I sculpted the mesh in L3DT Pro, the texture also generated there, and the detail map I modified it via Genetica 3.0.
I attached the zip file!
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Kernunos:
Will it run in DBC?

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 01:28 Edited at: 16th Jan 2009 01:30
Umm ... nope. I used Dark Basic Pro functions like Advanced Terrains. I dont have Dark Basic Classic.
You guys still code in Dark Basic Classic? Dark Basic Pro is actually free if you consider the DarkGDK.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 06:21 Edited at: 16th Jan 2009 06:23
@Kernunos
I tried your download but it was just a file with 0 bytes. Yes we code in DBC and it is by choice. Aslo to clarify one thing, this is the Dark Basic Classic thread.
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, ok, sorry then. I code in DBPro.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
DBPro is fine to code in, but the problem in this case is that we use DBC. So, if you use DBP, you can participate as long as you keep your code in a DBC compilable state.

Great Quote:
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, what commands should I omit from using?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
We seem to be getting recruits from DBP, you think we should make a Noobs Wanted for the DBP version as well?
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 18:10
That'd be great! I work in DBpro as well so that would be handy, but would it be the same people running it or would you have to find newer people to run it?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 18:14 Edited at: 17th Jan 2009 18:40
For all you new members, could you guys create a forum account at http://darknoobsgames.forumsland.com/

That is kind of our "website". Really, it would be nice to know WHO exactly is on our team,since we got kind of an explosion of interest. That way we can also see if we have enough people to split into DNC and DNP Games (Dark Noobs Classic and Pro, respectively) so that we don't have to worry about the language barrier.

If we did, I think the best way to run it would be 1 main manager and 2 sub managers (or a submanager for whichever language the manager doesn't have). They do the same projects at the same time, just in the different languages.

Great Quote:
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 20:34 Edited at: 17th Jan 2009 20:59
Hmm, both DB versions working on the same project, it'll be hard to keep them in sync. I vote that both versions should work on a seperate project.

[edit]

Actually you know I've been thinking, would we find more members if we move to the newcomers thread instead? We can make both a DBC and DBP thread there.
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 20:59
I manage to keep my code dbc compatible they should too, but a good Idea is that the manager has dbp so that they can have the extra power of dbp and I think all most all dbc code is dbp compatible.

I was here.
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
I got an account on that website. Also posted a message.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 00:56 Edited at: 18th Jan 2009 01:00
Quote: "I got an account on that website. Also posted a message. "

Cool Thanks!

Quote: "Actually you know I've been thinking, would we find more members if we move to the newcomers thread instead? We can make both a DBC and DBP thread there. "

Yes, but it does say in the forum description that it is for DBP, not classic. So if we break into 2 teams here are the options:

1. Work on the same projects but one is in Classic the other in Pro.

2. Work on different projects and essentially be completely separate teams.

3. Maintain one team, but must make it compatible in DBC.

Honestly, I think 3 ideally would be best, however, DBP code CAN become a thorn in our side if we start getting more advanced. Personally, I think 1 is the safest, since I don't want to break the team, I just think that keeping the code separate would be a little safer.

And for the record, I do NOT like option 2, as I really don't think it would help us at all to cut our team apart (but it kinda depends on how many people we have for each language).

[EDIT]
I created 2 groups on the Team forums. One is for DBC users the other for DBP users. This doesn't mean anything as far as where you will be if you split up (if we do) it is just so that I can see how many we have of each so that we can determine the best course of action.

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 16:13
How about tetris?

~QJ
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I really don't think it would help us at all to cut our team apart "

Yes I agreed too.

Quote: "How about tetris?"

That's also a good one to do. Irojo suggested it last time as well.
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
So when is the next project going to start?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Next project will start some time around Feb 21.

Right now is the open projects period, we each make an example of a project we wish to be as the next project. Everyone will vote which one the team will work on and the one who wrote the example will manage it.

BN2 noted that only if you have completed at least one project with this team you cannot take place as manager for a project.
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I dont wanna manage, I just want to learn in a friendly enviroment
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 21:40
I suggest a game engine that can be added on to ill get started.
BTW how full should i make my example becuase any way I think of it, i am making a full engine just for an exaample.

I was here.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
The idea of the "make it first" is this. If the program manager has already created it, it will be easier for him/her to instruct the team on how to make it, and they already know what problems they will face later. I figured this one out on our first project, fortunately I made my own right off the bat then realized how helpful it was.

You can omit opening menus if you want and things like that. What you need though, is functionality. The graphics can be as basic as you want or as complex (personally, I would prefer NO media used, since it makes it easier to just cut and paste). Essentially, you just need to make an example that works, like a prototype. We will make the finished project.

Great Quote:
Quadrazar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 06:29 Edited at: 20th Jan 2009 06:35
Hi,

here is a stormtrooper reporting for duty. Just one question, i'm programming in C++ is that a problem? If so, I can do some graphics to, but I like programming better.

Well I don't want to manage, but i heard somebody propose a turn based strategic game like worms.

I'm especialy good in encrypting english into unreadable chunks of characters.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i'm programming in C++ is that a problem"

That would be a problem, since we all use DarkBASIC here. Can you make DLL's though? I may be showing my ignorance here, but if dll's can be created using C++, then if you can make those, that could give us quite a bit of flexibility.

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 22:26
Well, I'm not sure C++ could really help us out, other than if you can make some KILLER dll's. How about you give us some examples of you work (C++ and media)

Also, if no one else wants to, I'll manage...

~QJ
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Also, if no one else wants to, I'll manage..."

See above. Everyone develops their personal project as an example of the project they think should be done next. We then vote on the one we want to make and the person who made that example manages the creation of the game.

Great Quote:
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 22:51
Dll's....

That would be sweet.
--
I did make a one block tetris before, but I've been thinking about it, and it seems a very secluded sort of project. Secluded as in it has a lot of work needed, but you have to really know the code to make it. As thus, it would be difficult for a group project.

Quadrazar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 03:36 Edited at: 21st Jan 2009 04:15
I'm fairly new to making dll's. Creating one from scratch and not linked to other dll's is no problem. Including DB fuctions in it is
something I need to check out.

media:

http://auvopq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pxiYTAN0kN3a9-b4LFOZlre3HWUu6mVuFRCTcq_t7-bv2vt4xKPbNzJg-bn8w3Wb2D0VZL7q9OjZKg42uexNVjQ/Struisje.jpg.
created from a Japanese airbrush painting;

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
You forgot option 4: Tools Developer for the non DBC coders!

and I explained myself but hit backspace after clicking and lost all of my typing...

I'll hold off on joining this team, but I am looking for one off and on. best wishes!

Signed
------
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 17:43
@BN2
Well my computer fund is finally big enough but I just got layed off work so I'm holding back for a while, im gonna steal my mums old pc so I have something at least (its only a couple of years old).

@Everyone who wants to join
it is never too late to join just show us what you've got, or show BN2 for the moment

Goke of the day: [Q]What's a coders' favourite part of an orchestra?
[A]The strings.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Long time no see OBese! Sorry to hear about the job, good luck finding a new one though.

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 21:53
Hmm... what to make?

Maybe I'll continue on MONSTER FIGHT!

~QJ
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Yo Obese it's been a while.

I was playing pac man the other day, gotta say I didn't really enjoy playing it, I might reconsider picking that one as the next project.

Monster Fight seems interesting. Maybe we can do a Zelda type game.
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2009 21:54
Hmm.. Zelda...

I don't know if Zelda was a spur-of-the-moment thing, but remember that monster fight is like one of tyhe text monster fight games.

~QJ
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok here's my zelda entry. I think it's much easier with media but ohh well.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think it's much easier with media but ohh well.
"

Media is fine, its just that no media would be my preference, since it can be copied and pasted, with no downloading req.

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 17:15
we'll call it...

"The Adventures of the Weird Circly Bug-Eyed Boy!"

*applause*

~QJ
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 02:06
Hello again newbians,
I got my job back by sticking it to the man woop!
So the plan is I "steal" my moms old pc and get hooked up to the internet, then I can finally actually work on a project with the team I created!

Haven't had a chance to play the tower defence game but it looks cool, even better than furious pickaxe!

I like the idea of a zelda-esque game, it wouldn't be too hard to make a basic free-roaming game. Moving maps and all sorts to get your heads around but it would be a fun project, and a good chance to be creative too. So no calling it the "The Legend of Zeldi"

I'm glad to see that my idea is really taking off but I also feel a little guilty that I've played such a minor role in its success. Thanks to everyone for all your hard work, especially BN2 - for overseeing production of both games, but also to all those who have contributed to the team, coders and advisers alike.
Every post you make and every line of code you write ensures the survival of this "league of coders", together we create the opportunity for coders, musicians and artists to contribute to projects that far surpass what any of us could achieve alone.
With our every success we grow as individuals, and as a team, our influence expands and more members join. To maintain this development - for ourselves and our successors - we must remember the philosophy of the team; that anyone can contribute in some way regardless of their ability.

Dr. Martin Luth... ehem I mean OBese87

Goke of the day: [Q]What's a coders' favourite part of an orchestra?
[A]The strings.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad to hear the good news Obese. You sure know how to pick your words you always bring a smile to my face . But just to clarify, there's no calling it "The Legend of Zeldo" too right?
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 17:10
How about "adleZ fo dnegeL ehT"?

~QJ
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Obese:
Glad to have you back, and congrats on everything working out alright! However, to give credit where it is due, Ashingda did most of the running of the second project. I started out, but had to drop out due to time limitations.

@Quirkyjim
loL. eno taht ekil I.

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 19:41
.ouY knahT

~QJ
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 20:02 Edited at: 29th Jan 2009 20:04
LOL I hope this dont keep up, it's funny but it's also painful for the eye.

[edit]

Yo guys I'm learning how to write dlls for dbc, I got a few working and as I'm improving it might become useful for our projects.
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 20:05
!seY

*cough*

I mean, um, YES!

~QJ
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2009 00:33
Quote: " even better than furious pickaxe!"

I never liked you....

You are right.

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2009 21:04
I know, TD looks almost ... past decade ... you know?

~QJ
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2009 22:09 Edited at: 1st Feb 2009 22:12
I say we do a tanks game here it is.
All it needs is ai, better media, more weapons some unigue boss ideas and it is set. controls are arrow keys and shift and ctrl to shoot.

I was here.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2009 23:22 Edited at: 1st Feb 2009 23:23
Stefan you have to attach your media with the project if you want to have a stand alone exe.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 23:48:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 23:48:10