Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
@Darkzombies-

There seemed to be some interest but a team never really materialized. I would love to start one, but I'm going to be pretty busy for the next 6 weeks. If a lot of people want to and there are no other leaders available, I can lead the team, BUT it should be noted that people would need to be pretty self motivated. I would have MAYBE 1 hr every day or two to get online and evaluate things.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 08:42 Edited at: 21st Jun 2012 08:58
@BN2-

I have a busy schedule too. I'm sure you'd love to be the hero and take credit for the whole thing, but in the end the game is just going to be made by one guy. It's not a matter of who does the most work, it's a matter of who does the work.

I predict that Latch will set up a foundation for the game with his amazing libraries and tools, and you will be the one to finish the game, and it will suck, but everyone will like it. I will be left standing on the sidelines, glad I never got heavily involved, but perhaps toting some proof of my participation.

Let's say I can do art stuff. If you want me to make a model or something, or a prefab or level, I can do that, because it's 100% visual. I might even be able to contribute some of my updated collision code using Latch's ColDet wrapper.

And here is a version of it:

Some of the above code is untested, so it may not work, but at least my heart is in the right place.

You're smart, you can figure this out.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 23:21 Edited at: 21st Jun 2012 23:23
I felt there was a lack of enthusiasm and no one could agree on a project idea so I abandoned it. I need dedicated people in my team or I lose interest; not a great character trait for a project manager.

If BN2 runs things I will support the project and give as much code, help and time as I can.

Shh... you're pretty.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I need dedicated people in my team or I lose interest; not a great character trait for a project manager. "

In my experience, the projects are much more member driven than manager driven (just nature of having them do most of the coding, which is the idea). If there aren't dedicated people in the beginning, then in a week or two the only person posting will be the manager saying "Hey guys, how's it going? Hello? Anyone there?"

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 23:11
@BN2-

Well, maybe we need to get to work, then! There is a chance that I will add onto the code I posted later today. Defending a farm from zombies sounds like a great idea.

You should really post your source code.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You should really post your source code. "

I would but:

1) Then I'd be doing all the heavy lifting (which isn't what the team is for)

2) It's really messy. I made it here and there in my free time with no thought to commenting or neatness.

I can post my media (the only one I made myself was the farm but I'm willing to post that). Ultimately, though, if you want to make alone or as a team, just ask questions, it's how you learn. I will answer all of them as soon as I see them in as much detail as I can.

Hint: I ended up using sparky's because it was much faster and more accurate than the native collision detection commands.

The farm model is attached.

Great Quote:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jul 2012 03:45
@BN2- If you post your code, I might be able to adapt it from Sparky's to ColDet, which would make level transitions easier. Where's your team spirit?

Thanks for the level, by the way.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Team spirit might be the wrong thing to appeal to in this case, though I will post my code eventually. Once I get a chance to go through and clean it up. I'm quite busy right now with a number of other projects so I can't make any promises as to when that will happen.

But if you want to get started reverse engineering it, I would suggest first loading up the level that I posted and making the camera able to walk around it.

Great Quote:
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 01:50
@BN2-

I don't understand why people always say they want to "clean up" their code. It's not like someone could die from inhaling the contaminants or something.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
It's messy, illegible, and not something I'm necessarily proud of. It isn't something you want others to try to learn off of or work off of.

Once clean, it's good, but I would rather submit to the community something useful, than something that takes longer to understand than its worth.

Great Quote:
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 03:29 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2012 22:56
EDIT
This was missing a texture - "old_planks.bmp" it's been added to the zip
/EDIT

Here's a re-textured version of the farm with a bit of light mapping. I didn't do any real design changes, added a new barn from the DBC static model folder, and changed the ground a bit using noise to make it ever so slightly bumpy. This isn't a major overhaul it's just an idea for changing the lighting, fog, and texturing. Steer with the mouse, move with the arrow keys.

Enjoy your day.

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
So my next side-project that I do to keep myself occupied is going to be a clone of the old-school pokemon games (probably using Red as my model because I own it and can reference it). If there are people out there who want to participate in a DarkNOOBS project, I am willing to lead a project to do it. Otherwise I'll just do it on my own anyway, but I think this will be a fun project to work on. It will provide opportunities for:

-Tile Based Movement/Collision detection
-Menu systems
-Database management and modification
-RPG gameplay mechanics

Let me know if you are interested. I will probably be starting within the next few days.

Great Quote:
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
So, no further work on the farm thing?

Just throwing this out there, with the idea of a tower defense sorta thing, what about a tractor that is pulling around a wagon with a gun turret on it? There could be an AI farm hand that drives the tractor around randomly or in circles, and the player has to man the turret.

The monsters drop from the sky and then run towards the house. Blast as many as possible. Maybe there could be a few basic commands that one could issue to the farm hand like go to a specific building since there are 4. So pressing 1,2,3 or 4 might mean that the farm hand drives to or tries to circle around that particular building.

Maybe also, if a certain number of creatures get within a certain distance from the farm or from the house, the tractor driver starts to panic and may not respond to commands readily and starts driving away from the farm. Maybe if that happens, you have to leave the wagon and have to deal with the monsters hand to hand.

Enjoy your day.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " So, no further work on the farm thing?"

Honestly, the farm thing was mostly something to keep me occupied during finals week so that I didn't get burnt out studying. Once I got the fun parts down, I lost interest. I may go back and forth but it didn't seem like people were really interested in the farm attack project anyway.

Since I also just realized that I never got back to you on the farm thing, I do like the retexturing, but it seems like the lightmapping messes up some of the textures (appearing white with blotches instead of textured correctly). Maybe I have a setting changes somewhere?

Great Quote:
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Since I also just realized that I never got back to you on the farm thing, I do like the retexturing, but it seems like the lightmapping messes up some of the textures (appearing white with blotches instead of textured correctly). Maybe I have a setting changes somewhere?"

Oh no... I completely left out one of the key textures! I'll add it to the zip above and post it here as well so you don't have to download the whole thing again. Just put the bitmap in the same folder as the other media.

Quote: "Honestly, the farm thing was mostly something to keep me occupied during finals week so that I didn't get burnt out studying. Once I got the fun parts down, I lost interest. I may go back and forth but it didn't seem like people were really interested in the farm attack project anyway."

Well, if you were so inclined to get a shooting system done where you can see the projectiles/bullets and register a collision regardless of the speed of the bullets, I wouldn't mind coming up with a system to move an object in the manner I described above relating to the tractor.

Enjoy your day.

Attachments

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 01:09
Quote: "Well, if you were so inclined to get a shooting system done where you can see the projectiles/bullets and register a collision regardless of the speed of the bullets..."

That sounds like a job for ColDet!
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That sounds like a job for ColDet! "

Don't really know anything about ColDet, but I would say it seems like a job for Sparky's+DBC commands, to eliminate the need for another plugin (I'm not really a fan of using them at all if I can help it and Sparky's is already being used in this one).

My approach would be:
-Calculate the bullets speed
-Construct a ray from the bullets position with a magnitude of the distance the bullet will move (generally it's speed but some math may be involved)
-Check for the ray colliding
-Position the bullet at the end of the ray. Note that this step can be done second, but if the bullet is going to hit, you can skip this step and just cue the explosion/gunshot effect (So it would be Check->Remove->Explosion/Gunshot effect rather than Position->Check->Remove->Explosion/Gunshot effect). Of course if that last frame is important, its important.

Just an idea. I might give it a try, I've been wanting a programming challenge that ISN'T a big project.

Great Quote:
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2012 01:04 Edited at: 7th Aug 2012 01:11
Quote: "My approach would be..."

Sounds like a good plan. You could probably reduce the math by using MOVE OBJECT and POINT OBJECT. Also, some sort of bullet system to keep track of all the bullets positions, ranges, ammo count, reload time, etc. would be a nice addition. And with only one type of shooting system (assuming the wagon mounted gun) the shooting system doesn't have to be diverse for all kinds of different weapons.

For the tractor, I was thinking 4 rings or paths of some sort that are just array positions forming waypoints. Pressing a number (1-4) moves the tractor towards the specific path. Having an invisible cube or something that surrounds the path detects collision with the tractor so we can tell when the tractor has arrived at a specific path from any direction. Then find the closest waypoint on that path to where the tractor is when it collides with the detector and move the tractor to the next way point on that path.

To handle a situation when the tractor is on the opposite side of a building to where a desired path may be, there can be specific ways points on each path that are all exposed to each other without obstructions in between. Only when the tractor has reached these waypoints can it then move towards a different path. So if a number command is issued when the tractor is say, at the back of the barn and you want to drive to the silo, then the tractor will register the request and keep circling the barn until it is on one of the "sweet spots" that is open to the silo's path.

Or, there is another collision zone where the tractor will only move to another path when it's in this zone. That sound easier than keeping track of specific waypoints that are open or closed.

Enjoy your day.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 7th Aug 2012 08:25
That's funny because that jerkoff won't release his source code, so he's the only one who can make any progress on the game. I love this community so much.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 7th Aug 2012 08:31
Fluffy... What? Who?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2012 09:10 Edited at: 7th Aug 2012 09:23
Quote: " That's funny because that jerkoff won't release his source code, so he's the only one who can make any progress on the game. I love this community so much. "

I told you my reasons for not posting my source. I never intended my version to be a community project, I only posted it to try to get people interested in making their own version. If you don't like it, that's fine, but lets keep this civil. There is no need for name calling.

@Latch

I like the changes for the lighting map, cleaver, ghosting the shaded one over the textured one. It does seem that there are some weird blotches though (inside the barn there is a random dark circle, for instance). How did you go about creating the light map?

Great Quote:
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 7th Aug 2012 13:18
@BN2- I never said I didn't like it. Because your prototype is decent, it would only make sense for other people to get involved. They can't do that if you don't let them, and like it or not, this has become a community project.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a simple program (it really is). If you'd like to make one, I'd be glad to help you along with it. I've given you everything I had externally to work with (the map I drew to plan out waypoint locations and spawn points and the 3d map itself). The most complicated part would probably be making the aliens move along the waypoints and getting the gun motion to work.

Heck, let's make a community project out of it.

Great Quote:
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Fluffy Rabbit
Quote: "...because that jerkoff won't release his source code..."

Name calling is inappropriate, unnecessary, and just plain rude. Since BN2 has let it slide, I'll follow suit. However, if you keep up that kind of behavior, you'll be reported to a Mod. And it's BN2's source so he doesn't have to share it with anyone if he doesn't want to.

@BN2
Quote: "It does seem that there are some weird blotches though (inside the barn there is a random dark circle, for instance). How did you go about creating the light map?"

The blotches are because I've textured the entire farm object with a single 256x256 lightmap textures stretched across all of the faces so the resolution is a bit blocky. It can be managed by blurring or blending the texture in Photoshop or the like or a combination of increasing the texture resolution and blurring the image before saving it. Usually, the artifacts are hidden by the other textures on which the light mapped object is over-layed. In the case of the inside of the barn, it's the convergence of shadows from light sources outside and inside the barn. The texture being 256x256 only shows the darkest spot of the convergence.

Like I said previously, I didn't go all out and redesign the farm, I just retextured it and replaced the barn. Redesign wise, I would suggest scaling the whole thing smaller in terms of 3D units. You'll notice now there are some z-battles between polygons going on as you get a certain distance from an object. The fog is used to help hide some of that. A lot of it can be corrected by reducing the scale. Also, I'd suggest remaking the buildings to reduce redundant polygons and build the roofs as separate polygons so they can have eaves or lips dropping over the walls. I'd also have a consistent scale based on human size for the buildings in general including doors, windows and ramps.

I realize you were only putting something together to get done and have a little fun so my suggestions are just suggestions. They really aren't necessary.

The light map was made using an exact duplicate of the farm. There are a few different tools one could use. I think Cartography shop has it built in - I just don't like the scale in Cartography shop. Objects are just too big. You can use any 3D modeling program that supports lights as long as you can bake a texture with the scene lighting. Lightmap maker does a very good job, it just takes a long time to set everything up and texture it. Here's an example for DBC using lightmap maker. The Blender tutorial in the post is a bit dated and I have since changed the way (more or less) I make light maps in blender.

lightmap

I think Guiles is another light mapper I've heard about but never tried. I used Blender for the farm. The concept is similar to the tutorial.

Enjoy your day.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 00:23
Fine, you know what? If everybody's going to keep their projects closed-source and proprietary, so will I. I was working on this really cool animation system, but if people just don't want to share source, then I guess you just don't want to see it.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Fine, you know what? If everybody's going to keep their projects closed-source and proprietary, so will I. I was working on this really cool animation system, but if people just don't want to share source, then I guess you just don't want to see it. "

That's fine. That's your choice. I have posted TONS of source code over the YEARS that I've been here. I did it because I wanted to get tips from others and with the hope that maybe someone less experienced would see it and be able to learn something from it. A good community is one where people can and do share ideas, but not one where they must share ideas.

This thread has gotten off topic enough, so I say we put a pin in this whole thing and just get back to doing what we do: have fun programming and helping others do likewise.

Great Quote:
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 07:31
Of course, BN2. I am all about helping others with their programming and sharing ideas. I am so glad that you feel inclined to help others as well. In that case, I think I'll go ahead and post the code for that animation system now. I think it could help you with your project.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
...moving on

@BN2 or anyone

I've got a tractor model in the works. A wagon or flat bed shouldn't be too hard to whip up. I have a system already designed to place waypoints. So if BN2 has a shooting system in the works, we need a method to drop monsters from the sky outside of the farm, and then make their way towards the house. BN2s demo already had the aliens heading toward the house so that method could be used I assume. Or, just point the creature towards the house, move them. If we're using sparkys, then project a ray in front of them maybe a little further than they would move in a turn, use the bounce vector to see where a ricochet would be, then point the monster towards that position, move them there then point them towards the house etc.

Are we moving forward with this or not?

Enjoy your day.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 20:17 Edited at: 12th Aug 2012 05:22
Quote: "we need a method to drop monsters from the sky outside of the farm, and then make their way towards the house"

Maybe make a space ship that carries between 2 - 6 monsters in it? Perhaps it could have a platform that lowers to the ground and the monsters file out? Once unloaded, the spaceship could move up and out of sight. You could set it up so that the spaceships land at certain points and the monsters move toward different waypoints.

Quote: "
BN2s demo"

EDIT: DL'd the demo and ran it.
I ran your .dba file Latch - really like the lightmap.

I am willing to help out, if needed.

So many games to code.......so little time.

Attachments

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I am willing to help out, if needed."

I'll try setting up the paths for the tractor then. If you want to think about dropping monsters and a respawn system, that would be fine. Going on the tractor pulling a wagon idea, does anyone have any ideas on how to do that? I'm guessing it's just positioning the tractor, then positioning the wagon 1 iteration behind.

Enjoy your day.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 05:34 Edited at: 12th Aug 2012 05:35
I had made a spaceship previously that might work for this game. The texturing is not 100% complete, but it might work for now. Here is a pic:

It would have to be modified to have a platform come down. I guess I could simply land the ship (or have it hover) and create a glowing cylinder effect underneath it and just have the monsters appear in the glowing cylinder.

Also, I made a FN Scar that I would be glad to put into this game if you guys want to include it.

I will work on a system for randomly picking sites to land the ships, moving the ships in / out, creating the glowing cylinder effect and lastly, putting the monsters in place. I didn't see the .x file or textures for the monster in BN2's demo. Are these available? It seems like I have seen that one before. If not I'm sure I can find something to throw in for now.

Attachments

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 06:21
LBFN, those are some impressive graphics! Did you really make that gun model?

Also, I'd suggest baking the coloration on the ship into one texture, for the sake of DarkBASIC.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 07:11 Edited at: 12th Aug 2012 07:12
Quote: "LBFN, those are some impressive graphics! Did you really make that gun model?"

Thank you; yes I made it. Here is a pic of the wireframe:

Quote: "Also, I'd suggest baking the coloration on the ship into one texture, for the sake of DarkBASIC. "

It is one texture, as I have UV mapped it, but I had previously intended to one day revise it to add more detail. I can make a normal map for it also, but that is after I get done with the details. For now, I am mainly concentrating on coding, adding to Latch's example.

Attachments

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 00:55
I started learning Blender yesterday, will this game require any cucumbers?

Shh... you're pretty.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
A few questions:

1. This'll be DBC right?

2. @BN2 - how attached are you to the farm model as it stands? I'd like to change a couple of things - mainly in terms of proportion and scale - also perhaps some repositioning of the buildings to allow easier passage for the tractor waypoints and for the monsters to move.

3. I'm guessing most people have some sort of LCD display these days. With LCD displays I've noticed an inconsistent rendering of color/contrast/brightness by the monitor itself and as a result of the monitors settings. On my monitor, there is an RGB setting where you set a percentage of those colors. It seems to function as a color saturation/gamma. I keep these at 25% each. That allows me to see shades of blue and gray very distinctly. I also keep an 80 percent brightness and about a 50 percent contrast. That keeps my blacks black. With all this, I notice that what I see in DBC on my monitor is often darker than most default monitor settings and the shadows tend to blend on my display- in a way I consider - "nicely". What are some of your monitor settings? There is often a "warmth" setting usually with values like 9300, 7500, 6500. What are these set to?

4. @BN2 - are you in and are you going to work on a shooting system?

5. @LBFN - The models look nice. Assuming that this'll be the tractor pulling a wagon thing, the gun should be made with the idea of it being mounted on a flatbed trailer thing with 360 degree swivel capability and a pitch capability to maybe (+-)60 degrees. The gun and mount should not be part of the trailer because sizing adjustments to each should be independent until everything in the scene is scaled and proportioned properly. As far as the spaceship, landing or dropping off monsters is up to you. Just allow multiple or simultaneous drop off/landing points. And, I may be changing the farm model a bit. It will still have the same basic structure - the farm itself will be in the same general area - but some of the dimensions may change and the scaling of the world as a whole may be reduced.

I'll see about adding waypoints for monsters. It would reduce the collision checks with sparkys.

Enjoy your day.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
2. @BN2 - how attached are you to the farm model as it stands? I'd like to change a couple of things - mainly in terms of proportion and scale - also perhaps some repositioning of the buildings to allow easier passage for the tractor waypoints and for the monsters to move."

Not at all. I made it in 10 minutes because I needed something to work with. Go to town.

RE: The shooting system, I'll take it.

Do we want it to rely on a "bullet" type object or more math based? One thing I have noticed that has worked in the past is having an object (as low poly as possible) positioned 1 unit in front of the camera and constructing a unit vector (basically a vector that is 1 unit in length and can be multiplied by any distance) that gives the heading of the camera. This can then be used for collision detection (in ray casting), shooting math (no need to set the object's orientation or use MOVE OBJECT+OBJECT POSITION() commands to get the end point of the path).

Just an idea.

Great Quote:
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 22:15 Edited at: 13th Aug 2012 22:28
Hi Latch, in response to your questions:

1. I have been writing code for this in DBC, so yes, as far as I am concerned.

3. I adjusted my monitor's settings, but it only used sliders and did not give an actual value for each setting. I did not see a 'warmth' setting on mine.

5. Thanks. I saw in BN2's demo the player held a pistol, and he had listed several guns on his preliminary map, so I thought it would be needed - nevermind on that. Come to think of it, a while back I made a turret - type gun that is mounted on it's own base, but it is not something that would be mounted on a wagon. If you are set on the wagon idea, I could maybe modify it. Let me know if you would like to see a pic of it.

I have made some progress on coding the ships using your example code as a base. There are five ships that appear every 2 - 7 seconds in random locations around the farm. The ships descend to hover just above the ground and a green beam (ghosted cylinder) comes from under the ship to the ground. The beam rotates on the Y axis while it is in place and 2 - 6 monsters are placed on the earth in the beam. The ships then move upward out of sight. The monsters turn toward the waypoint (I just picked a spot on the map right now) and start moving toward it. The ships keep coming as long as there are 50 or less monsters in place. I grabbed an in-game pic:

Attachments

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 23:33 Edited at: 14th Aug 2012 02:48
@BN2
Whatever works. If you have a handle on what to do that'll be great. I'd like to see the projectiles moving instead of invisible bullet speed resulting from a full distance ray cast. It adds a visual element and also allows for missing an object that moves out of the line of fire.

Keep in mind a few things:
1. We want to be sure the bullet can return a collision if at one iteration it is in front of an object and the next iteration it is behind the object without having ever touched the object.

2. A collision point returned would also be good for any special effects - sparks, blood, splinters, smoke, etc.

3. We need the object number of specific objects collided with, returned

4. If using sparkys, animated object's polygons are not updated. There are a couple of remedies:

A:
a1. Run through all of the frames of an animation for an object
a2. For each frame, create a mesh and then an object of that pose
a3. Store each of these objects as a sparkys collision object
a4. Delete the DBC pose objects and meshes
a5. When running the animation in game, based on the current frame, detect collision with the specific pose object

B: Similar to A - but less accurate - should be a little faster than A
b1. Run through all of the frames of an animation for an object
b2. For each from, create a mesh and then a memblock.
b3. Using the memblock vertices for a specific pose/frame, find the extremes (the high and low X Y and Z coordinates)
b4. Using the extremes, construct a bounding box or bounding sphere/ellipsoid and save as an object
b5. Delete the meshes and pose objects
b6. Set up the bounding entities as collidable polygon objects in sparkys
b7. Delete the bounding DBC entities
b8. When running the animation in game, based on the current frame, detect collision with the specific bounding collision object

C: Less accurate than B but should be even faster
c1. Create a sphere or box that is the size of the torso of a monster.
c2. Position it centered on the torso.
c3. Set this box or sphere up as polygon collision in sparkys

D: Very accurate but complex
d1. Build separate bounding boxes for each limb of an entity.
d2. Setup each bounding box for collision in sparkys
d3. Delete the DBC bounding objects
d4. During the animation, query the limb positions and rotations. Set each bounding limb to it's corresponding transformation of the actual entity limb
d5. Snag - DBC doesn't return the Z angle of a limb. It's a bug or it was never programmed in. You can get the z angles different ways. One way is to take the animation keys out of the direct X file of the object and program a method to convert the keys to euler rotations for each limb/frame . Another way might be to point an object from a parents limb pivot/position towards a particular childs position and get the angles returned. For example, placing an object at the upper arm and pointing it towards the lower arm then using that objects z angle. The best way would probably be to program an animation system that uses the direct x file to calculate the rotations. If only the limb z angle were returned... Anyway, to keep things simpler, we porbably shouldn't use method D.

As I mentioned deleting the bounding objects used to set up collision with sparkys, we would need a function in sparkys to handle the transofrmations without having to use the DBC object orientations as reference. A variation of the updateObjectDBC() function could look like this:

Enjoy your day.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@LBFN
I didn't mean for you to change your monitor. I wanted to get an idea of peoples monitor setting because I think mine is likely more customized. I would adjust mine so that I could design shadows and lighting that may be more generic.

And I like how your ship looks "beaming" down a couple of nasties!

Enjoy your day.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2012 00:23 Edited at: 19th Aug 2012 07:00
Quote: "I didn't mean for you to change your monitor."

I just tweaked it a little bit and things actually show up better.

How are we going to combine all of our code? It seems that we need to come to a consensus.

Glad you like the beaming down idea. I will see if I can make a texture that works a little better for the beam.

Is the model / texture of the monster in BN2's demo available?

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Is the model / texture of the monster in BN2's demo available?"

I got it from the TGC newsletter from a LONG time ago (Dec. 2003).

Here is the link to the ZIP with the alien in it.

http://files.thegamecreators.com/newsletter/TGCChristmasPresentBIG.zip

Great Quote:
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "How are we going to combine all of our code? It seems that we need to come to a consensus."

Oh no, logistics! I was hoping that this whole thing could be knocked out in a few days without having to broach any real concerns! I know that's impossible.

Well, you don't have to stick to my demo code. That was set up just to display the farm. Though I would like the fog setting to remain with the lighting. I think that works - but that's all stuff we can finalize later.

So basically we need at least 1 universal structure/subroutine/function that loads in the environment, sets up the lighting and any other generic scene elements like sync rate, autocam, hide mouse, resolution - so that everyone that works on anything gets the same basic farm display.

I want a target sync rate of 35 fps. While we can code and design in a manner that can yield a higher fps, at the end of the day I'd like to be able to set this to 35, and the game runs just as was planned. I'd like to avoid timer game speed management as I believe it adds more over-head than helps timing. Coding for 35 FPS and managing a poly count of around 20,000 to 30,000 should be doable on most computers that have been made within the last 10 years. I prefer a resolution of 800,600,32 as the detail is "good enough." However, we can add the functionality of choosing a resolution as long as we manage any fonts or screen size dependent graphics.

As far as submitting code, I say we enclose the code in functions. It's possible to write an entire working application within a single function. Subroutines can even be included these functions. If global variables are needed, they can be added as arrays. Let's included a subroutine that can be called from initialization that stores any declared arrays needed (for functions or otherwise). Something like:

Having one place for global arrays with descriptions of their use may be helpful.

Similarly, we can create subroutines for any variables that are used in the main code and subroutines. We can also include a subroutine that stores object, bitmaps, images, and memblock numbers that may be used. If these are all in one place, then anyone accessing the code looks here to add or to make sure they don't use an already used object or image number etc.

So, any code we submit, if it can be stand alone, it should be included as it's own function. So for ship movement and placing monsters for example, that could probably be summed up in a couple of functions.

The monster that BN2 used comes from Dark Matter 1 if you have it. Dark Matter 1 was offered for free for use with DarkBASIC Classic back in 2007 or maybe 2008. It's also included as an example with the DarkBASIC CD so I don't think there would be a problem posting it here:

Enjoy your day.

Attachments

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2012 04:19 Edited at: 26th Sep 2012 17:59
Quote: "Well, you don't have to stick to my demo code."

Too late. I started with it as a base. I saw you used subroutines in it, so I followed suit. I typically only use functions with DBC when they are simple calls, as having to create arrays for every variable is a pain in my view. I can re-write the code to your specs, but I wanted you guys to take a look at it to see if this is something that will work or if it can be improved upon.

You will need the attached media added to the media that has already been provided in order to run it.

Notes: The aliens are not animated, they simply sit at idle and move. No collision. W and S keys are used to move ahead / backward instead of the arrow keys. Mouse is still used to look around. Code does not check if the monsters actually reach the waypoint, they just keep going.

It is a little rough, but I can always tidy it up later.

EDIT: Thanks BN2 for the alien monster link. I knew I had seen that somewhere before.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@LBFN
You move faster than me! It's going to take me about 3 days to redo the farm and add the waypoints for the tractor.

I'll take a look at your code within that time as well. It may be helpful if the code was commented more - but I know it's just a draft. The new farm will be layed out very similarly to BN2s original version. There will be some adjustments - perhaps a couple of tress, and a corral that may block some directions. There may also be new open directions to the alien's paths. So your code may change due to the environment.

In regards to your turret, it may not be exactly what I envisioned. But, your rifle may still be useful. Do you mind using it for this? I wouldn't mind taking a look at it and possibly changing it a bit to see how it would work on a trailer or wagon, if you would attach it as an X, 3DS, LWO, or OBJ file. But if you don't want to use it for this, that's ok. I was thinking of modifying one of the mounted weapons included with Deled CE anyway if need be - though they are a bit high in the polygon department.

Enjoy your day.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2012 07:08 Edited at: 26th Sep 2012 18:00
Latch, I am on vacation this week and wanted to spend some of it coding, as I normally am time-challenged.

I expected it would be necessary to revamp the waypoints. Once you get done with re-doing the map, I plan to create some new waypoints. I am thinking of developing a system that when the spaceship lands at each place there will only be certain waypoints that the monsters can go to. Once they reach a waypoint within the system, a pseudo-AI system could pick which waypoint to go to next.

I would be glad to let the Scar be used for this game. If by chance you decide to go with guns, I have a very cool AKS-74u that I am pretty pleased with.

For anyone else out there that might download the Scar for something else, I would like to be credited if you use it.

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 14th Aug 2012 09:18
I am IN.

I managed to compile the different resources together so I could test out the latest source version. But why stop there? I then made a few minor changes here and there, like fixing the z-fighting issues on the map and adding in Latch's automatic screen resolution code. Then, amazingly, I implemented Latch's Coldet library as I plan to implement it in Dark Survival 2, giving the player sliding collisions.

Rather than holding out until I got it just how I like it, I decided to give you guys the latest demo as it is in a work-in-progress state so that you can find the time to change it. There are a few obvious changes that need to be made, such as organizing files into directories, adding sound, and adding in ray collisions for the strangely arousing aliens. It's all downhill from here, since Coldet is now a part of the project. It's a perfect replacement for Sparky's that is faster, more flexible, and maintained by a member of this project (Latch).

Attachments

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 01:45 Edited at: 17th Aug 2012 02:56
I'll try and get that map done by tonight. If not, I'll submit a place-holder environment with objects/primatives set to scale along with the tractor waypoint system by tomorrow. At least that way, progress should be able to move forward.

Quote: "I implemented Latch's Coldet library..."

We may have to wait on the collision method until the shooting system is in place.

@All: the Coldet collision library is a fairly complete library that not only has ray casting but polygon to polygon collision detection and a bunch of other features. I don't think it's any more difficult to use than sparky's. If you haven't, you may want to take a look at it here:

coldet

Whatever the method of collision detection, here are some things to think about:
* bullets to environment
* bullets to creatures
* creature to tractor
* creature to environment
* player to tractor
* player to creature
* player to environment
* creature attack player
* creature attack tractor
* player attack creature (maybe hand to hand if not on trailer)

And just for the record, all collision could be done without any DLLs. The fastest DBC collision is Static collision. In my tests it's as fast as DLLs in most cases. The second fastest which is almost as fast is making object collision boxes around moving objects without setting the rotation flag. So use

MAKE OBJECT COLLISION BOX
and not
SET OBJECT COLLISION TO BOXES

It would just be a bit more difficult to get the collision point.

I ran fluffy's code including LBFNs and it seems to work fine. The concept is sound. The collision works. The space crafts land and beam down the monsters. So, concept-wise, it's more than half-way done.

Enjoy your day.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 02:17
Ran Fluffy's code and many times it will say that it cannot load the dbcwithcoldet dll. It would normally run the first time, but after that you could try it 10 times (or more) and get the loading error before it would run again. It did run at a solid 35 FPS and the collision was very good, but that error problem would need to be resolved, otherwise it is not even worth considering.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 02:21 Edited at: 17th Aug 2012 02:45
I ran fluffys code several times and it worked without error each time.

at line 57 where this code is:

try sticking in a WAIT 50 after the load dll:

Don't really know why it wouldn't load unless you moved it to a different directory.

Enjoy your day.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 02:56 Edited at: 17th Aug 2012 05:23
Even with a wait 50, it still errors on loading the dll. It normally works the first time, but not so after that. I have it all in the same directory and it does work sometimes.

EDIT: I deleted all of Fluffy's files and re-downloaded it with the same result. However, the included .exe works every time.

POST EDIT: If I run it using the DBC Classic editor (uggh), it works every time, but if I use DarkEDIT, it fails to load the dll.

POST POST EDIT: Reset DarkEDIT and now it works fine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 08:26:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 08:26:51