Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 18:51
Just say the magic word and its there... btw I know I failed to uphold the music but could I get distribution credits?

if its 3D I wanna do levels

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 23:49
I need to pay more attention to this thread. Well anyways, i'm up for it too if you need me.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 23:50 Edited at: 21st Mar 2012 03:05
I need to pay more attention to this thread. Well anyways, i\'m up for it too if you need me.

Oops lol, double

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
How hard would a bowling game be? Nothing super fancy, just getting the ball to move, maybe curve, and knock down pins. The level of physics is up to you. Some, maybe most, of the physics can be faked with a few angles and some random rotation here and there.

Here's a pretty loose example with no real physics at all. Move the target to the cone and click the left mouse button:

As you can see, it doesn't take much to start to get on track for something like a bowling game and how much accounting you do for weight, and spin, and velocity, and etc. is up to you.

Enjoy your day.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2012 16:02 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2012 03:17
Pretty nice, Latch. As I recall, it was really difficult to get a ball to roll in the direction it was moving (without using EZ Rotate, that is). I remember using the term 'fake physics' with TDK years ago and he didn't like the term very well, but seeing your example, that is exactly what I would call it.

If there would have been enough interest, I was going to make a 3D game that demonstrates basic stuff: positioning, rotation, camera movement, character animation, etc. but I think with you already working out the angle stuff to a decent degree, it might be worth a go to make a bowling game. I wonder if anyone wants to pursue this? I can model some pins, bowling balls and maybe even an animated bowler.

So many games to code.......so little time.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I remember using the term 'fake physics' with TDK years ago and he didn't like the term very well, but seeing your example, that is exactly what I would call it.
"

If the term is displeasing, how about "unphysics"? just kidding. Whatever one would like to call it, it's motion without using physics maths.

Quote: "As I recall, it was really difficult to get a ball to roll in the direction it was moving (without using EZ Rotate, that is). "

It doesn't have to be. DB has a lot of built in stuff you can use as "tricks" to simulate what you need. For example, a nice effect would be to have a shadow under the bowling ball. If you adjust the pivot of a plane and texture it as a shadow, it can be your main object. The y angle is the direction that the shadow moves. Add a ball (sphere) on top of that as a limb. Rotate the ball limb on its X axis and in whatever y direction the shadow turns and moves in, the ball will appear to move and roll in that direction.

So this simple method kills 2 birds with one stone - a shadow, and a rolling ball. Anyway, there are a lot of unphysics and "unmatrix" things one can use.

Want to add spin and curve to the throw? Curvevalue/Curveangle at your service. Add some z axis rotation to the ball limb - voila!

But I don't want to give away too much or the participants (if any) won't have any problems to work out.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2012 15:53 Edited at: 28th Mar 2012 15:54
It's been far too long since the last project. I will lead a new project unless anyone else wants to, in which case I will help.
We haven't done anything 3D yet so I think the bowling idea is a good one. Post any 3D project ideas if you would prefer rather than bowling and we can discuss.
I'll post a notice in the DBP board (I have DBP as well now so no more blind coding!) and we'll see how many people are interested.

Join DNG today! We are a game development team open to all. Visit our Headquarters to learn more.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2012 17:21 Edited at: 28th Mar 2012 17:22
3D YIPPIE FINALLY!!!

while escapekey()
Me = so excited
endwhile

woot woot, ok so ideas... hmm

I like the idea for bowling but I think the code involving the arrays will be of great use so I suppose unless a better idea comes along I am somewhat balanced towards the bowling idea...

EDIT

OBese87 where you get the idea of us replacing you from management is beyond some of us

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps old school Doom type shooter (no looking up and down, enemies are mostly just textured plains, low quality graphics). Shooting could teach raycasting (could use sparky's or work your own stuff which isn't too hard).

Also has some basic physics (falling/collision).

Just a thought. I might pop in and help if I can, but time is a bit short for me these days. Good luck! Glad to see another one of these things starting up.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2012 22:54 Edited at: 1st Apr 2012 22:56
Hi BN2, good to see you are still here.
I made a rotating camera and surrounded by plains just to start up a testing environment, but I noticed a nasty delay with screen refreshing: it looks really ugly when you rotate the camera. Is there a way to fix this or is it just a fact of DB? (Shows how little I use 3D commands!)

I have completely re-written Program Structure: a Brief Guide to Writing Better Code. My writing has improved since I wrote it the first time so I hope it's nicer to read and helps emerging coders jump straight into DNG and start contributing worthy code.

Join DNG today! We are a game development team open to all. Visit our Headquarters to learn more.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't notice too much of an issue, but what I DID see cleared up when I commented out the "SET DISPLAY MODE" line. It looks like you are using a relatively non-standard display mode and DBC might not be a fan of it. In general I stick to 640x480 or 800x600 (classic but they work). I think it only really likes that aspect ratio, too, but I haven't really fully experimented there.

In dbpro, it couldn't resolve the display mode at all and kept flickering, so my guess is that that line is what's causing problems.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 02:45
Hmm I tried that but it didn't make any difference, it looks like the plains are getting cut in half and the bottom half is lagging behind. Maybe I'm just being picky and this is normal. I'm going to continue experimenting so I know what I'm doing. I'm leaning towards the FPS idea because bowling just doesn't sound fun to me. Maybe we could have a firing range with bowling pins as a tribute.

However if we're going to do an FPS we have to get a solid game idea worked out that isn't going to swell up with added features (or at least get a working game finished before expanding the features). I propose we set it on a farm in the USA and have an alien invasion that you must protect the house from! LOL whatever happened to that project Latch and some other guys were working on?

Seriously though I'd like it to have an unique theme but without anything complicated. Just a nice, tidy shooter.

People who want to join the team post here please. I will make a thread for DNG on the DBP boards, we might migrate over there soon but this thread will survive.

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 02:55 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2012 02:57
@Obese-

I'll contribute. I can make some strange artwork in Blender, and I'm pretty good at programming with DarkBASIC Classic, not Pro.

I remember that old project. I think it was stuck somewhere around pathfinding and AI. Wasn't TheComet making a DBC waypoint library? That could really come in handy right now.

As far as general ideas for the game go, I think the original plan works just fine. You're just some person at some old farm house in the middle of nowhere with zombies coming at you from all angles. I think there was also some multiplayer in the works or something.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 03:56
That all sounds very complicated and if it stopped Latch and Neuro (was that the other guy?) in their tracks I think we should aim a little lower. I was thinking of an anti-aircraft gunner style game. So you'd shoot down the planes before they could bomb the city behind you or drop paratroopers, then maybe you could pick off the paratroopers if you're accurate. It's a family-friendly game
We wouldn't have to worry about path-finding AI but it would still be fun and more interesting than target practice.

WARNING: The above comment may contain sarcasm.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 04:01
@Obese-

Okay, now how about building on that idea a little bit? Instead of manning an anti-aircraft gun, you can move around a little bit in a confined area, so it doesn't feel too much like a "minigame". This could be justified by having to dodge the projectiles flying at you.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 12:45
Rarely do I scan these boards but this happened to catch my eye.

Quote: "In dbpro, it couldn't resolve the display mode at all and kept flickering, so my guess is that that line is what's causing problems."

Try adding an extra ,1 to the SET DISPLAY MODE command, so you end up with this:

This turns on VSync (not sure if that's what you want though). I don't know if this works in DBC but it works (for me) in DBP.

Good luck with the project guys!

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I propose we set it on a farm in the USA and have an alien invasion that you must protect the house from! LOL whatever happened to that project Latch and some other guys were working on?"

Quote: "That all sounds very complicated and if it stopped Latch and Neuro (was that the other guy?) in their tracks I think we should aim a little lower."

No Time to Code was the other contributor. We pretty much had everything done. No Time to Code had worked out quite a few nice AI systems and was developing some menu systems. I may have made things drag on a bit because I kept changing the collision (which affected the AI) until I basically created a collision system in a DLL for speed for general static, box, and sphere collision and also a method to handle full polygon collision for animated objects for use with sparkys dll. The original collision system was all DBC and it worked, but we needed to squeeze out a bit more speed. The original intention was to make the whole game 100% DBC code, but without a team, it really didn't matter. It became more of our personal project. We even tinkered with using the Newton physics engine.

Anyway, all the graphics were done except some outside stuff. As it was just the two of us, and real life was taking priority, we worked on it when we could - then life got busier. And since early on, the other participants dropped out and really didn't contribute much of anything, it didn't make sense to keep posting updates and full progress and such.

I went off on a bit of a tangent there! Sorry! Back to DarkNoobs

If you guys look back at how LBFN handled Berzerk for DarkNoobs, that should give you an idea of how to handle your next project. Keep it manageable. And if you commit - then commit.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 17:09
Quote: "Hodgey: This turns on VSync (not sure if that's what you want though). I don't know if this works in DBC but it works (for me) in DBP."

Thanks, that's solved the problem. Ah I see VSYNC synchronises DB to the monitor's refresh rate. I wonder if this slows down the program?

Quote: "Instead of manning an anti-aircraft gun, you can move around a little bit in a confined area"

@Fluffy - We could keep things like that in mind for the future but there's a lot to work out and code just for a basic turret shooter so I'd rather we get that done before we move on. We could release the turret game and then use the same engine to build a running-gunning FPS. That's actually a good idea, we could make a series of smaller games that build towards a full-blown FPS. That way even if people get bored and leave before the final project is finished we have some completed games to show for it. So our focus for this game is ballistics.

@Latch - Yeah I was impressed with how LBFN managed that project.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
To simpify things, you could go with a basic space invaders type concept, but in FPS form. You're on the farm with buildings and such and aliens spawn in waves at the edges and make their way along predefined paths. Less path FINDING and more path FOLLOWING.

Without trying it out, my suggestion would be:

Yes, it's incomplete, but it gives a general idea of what I mean. You can ALWAYS add more Chains later (so start with only one node chain, once it works, add one behind the player, then to the left, etc). You can get more complex with nodes at the same point to make aliens bottlneck through areas (though you might want some sort of: make the aliens not step on each other code).

Hmmm now I wish I could participate in this, or work on my own version. It seems fun.

Great Quote:
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 05:19
@Latch-

A new collision system for DBC? I would love a sliding collision system that can handle complex meshes and supports the rescaling/replacement of meshes. Could you post the code/DLLs?

I would also like zzz's great shapekey animation system that he used in SoulHunter. If you could post code for that, that would be great.

I would also like it if you posted to these forums the shooter project that you guys were working on. We could all help. I just don't like the idea of another stupid turret shooter, nor do I like the "DarkNoobs" thing. I'm not a newbie, I've been working with DarkBASIC for a number of years. Years of my mother pinching nerves in my brain with various medications that she would slip into my food. Years of high school BS and just not being smart enough to code that s**t properly. I know that Latch has the ability to power me through all of the crap that would get in my way and provide the code that will make DarkBASIC as good as DBPro or Blender or any of them, but most importantly DarkBASIC is easier to understand, and through all of the brain damage and hard times and the stuff that "real life" throws at you, DarkBASIC should be the easiest 3D game development solution available to any person, ever. The absolute easiest and best.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 06:13
@Fluffy Rabbit

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Though I don't want to throw this thread off track, and I apologize ahead of time if I do, I'll address Fluffy Rabbit's post.

@Fluffy Rabbit
Quote: "...complex meshes and supports the rescaling/replacement of meshes. Could you post the code/DLLs?"

Nah. This is really my own personal trials and experimental stuff.

Quote: "I would also like it if you posted to these forums the shooter project that you guys were working on. We could all help."

That chance existed in the past - only No Time to Code came through.

Quote: "I know that Latch has the ability to power me through all of the crap that would get in my way and provide the code that will make DarkBASIC as good as DBPro or Blender or any of them,"

While I appreciate the praise, I really only know a few tricks here and there. There are some fantastic programmers around these forums and there is a ton of code that addresses a lot of your concerns. Check out the code base. You'll have to dig, but there are some real gems out there.

Quote: "A new collision system for DBC?"

You should check out 29 games polygon collision system that he/she programmed by hand for DBC. He/she even made a demo FPS using it and created their own animated meshes by hand.

collision demo

Mini FPS Game

Quote: " I just don't like the idea of another stupid turret shooter, nor do I like the "DarkNoobs" thing ... and just not being smart enough to code that s**t properly
"

This is where I think you are making a mistake. The whole point of DarkNoobs is to help others code properly. The lesson here is also learning to work with a team and being responsible for the part/role as a team member, one has accepted. The actual project - a shooter, space invaders, turret, whatever - is secondary. The goal is to learn how to program any of it and also to learn how others might tackle situations and problems in ways you may not have thought about.

There are some clever coders that try and help out on this thread or take leadership roles, so there's lot's to learn - as long as everyone can stay focused and committed to the goal(s).

If you want to code, then take this opportunity to learn what you can or contribute as much as you can. The easiest way to benefit from this (in my opinion), is to take orders from the lead, and set out to complete the task you are assigned, to the best of your ability. Don't let your mind jump around to all the things you want changed, or all of the other possibilities. Focus on the task at hand and ask questions along the way if you need to. The lead is supposed to have some idea of the organization and what everybody should be doing. Let the lead run things. You focus on doing your part. If you can't stay focused on a task that is laid out for you, then it's likely you won't ever finish anything on your own when your mind is jumping to every possible scenario.

And also realize, no one's being paid here, so the commitment level is really low no matter how excited it seems the participants are. The only likely reward is completing the game, and for most, that won't be enough. Still, you can at the very least prove to yourself that you can do your part and don't give up easily.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 17:01
@Latch - Well said.
I'm having trouble getting any interest in this project. Only Mr Valentine and Fluffy have responded so far. I suppose I could start on the basics myself. I'll start planning and dividing the jobs out.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 23:03
Quote: "You should check out 29 games polygon collision system that he/she programmed by hand for DBC."

That would be "he".

I was working on one more DBC maths collision demo and then started to use Sparky's for DBC and came up with a pretty decent FPS collision system. I'll dig them out and post them but it might take a couple of days as I suspect they'll need tidying up. Maybe it'll give some inspiration.

@Obese, good luck with your new project, I'm sure that if you start something and have a plan and a task list a few more people will join in.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 00:27
@29 games-

Why can't you adapt your pure DBC raycasting code instead of Sparky's DLL, so that one can replace old object numbers with the the new objects in each level?
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 02:41 Edited at: 5th Apr 2012 02:44
First off, I take it you looked at my demos and now I hope you understand the comments that I made on your Dark Survival 2 wip thread. Decent collision in DBC is possible.

Quote: "Why can't you adapt your pure DBC raycasting code instead of Sparky's DLL so that one can replace old object numbers with the the new objects in each level?"

There's no reason my code can't be used for different maps but to be honest, the maps I created for the demos were a pain in the bum to produce. It involved lots graph paper and at one point some 2D CAD software to create a scale drawing so I could get all the coordinates. It's not something I'd like to repeat and, before you ask, I don't want to make a level editor either.

The other thing you need to understand is that my maths collision functions don't really work with models you might want to load in. You have to construct the map in a specific way otherwise the functions don't work.

The main reason I did the maths collision was I was interested in at the time and it was good practice for general problem solving and coding (it got me into using function a lot more than I used to). It also taught me a lot about the general methods required for coding collision systems and made understanding and implementing the commands for Sparky's a lot easier. The difficult bit is the resolution of the collision, i.e. what you want to happen once a collision as been detected, and not the detection itself.

Sparky's will always be faster than anything you code natively in DBC or DBP. The ray casting function I creatred (I believe it's that last post of my maths collision thread) was incredibly slow and didn't return a collision point, it just registered that a line passed through the model. However, because of the limited nature of Sparky's dll for DBC you still need to be pretty clever about how you use it to get the desired effect. You also need a bit of cleverness to implement it in DBP. Sparky's dll isn't a cheat, it just deals with the complicated maths.

Like I said, I'll post some more demos and you'll see what I mean about sparky's dll. It would be easier to adapt how I've used sparky's into something like Dark Survival 2, or any other FPS game, as it'll work for any object whether generated in DBC or from external models.

One last thing, I looked at the work you did on Dark Survival 2 and I think you're a capable coder and that you would be a great asset to the DNG team.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 03:25
@29 games-

A million thanks for that last comment. I have been working on Dark Survival 2 for years. It is probably the longest coding project I have done in my life, and possibly one of the longest source files I have ever written.

If you are at all capable of making Sparky's DLL work with the current Dark Survival 2 Engine, it would make the game that much better. Sliding collision? I was never good with collisions. That would be perfect. Sparky's is of course desirable, at least compared to what I was considering. Moving and checking collisions for the player mesh three times would be way too slow, and at current speeds on a typical level, Dark Survival 2 might have ended up dropping below the minimum 45 FPS.

As far as your demos and maps are concerned, I was only talking about the collision system you posted at the bottom of the page. It's really no problem that no intersection point is returned, being that the mesh would just be reset on that axis, although in that case, how would it be any different from using feeler objects? For that matter, why don't you just use feeler objects? Is pure math faster than checking collisions for stretched plain(plane)/triangle objects?

I guess it works well as a proof of concept.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 14:58
why does nobody mention Nuclear Glory? is there anything wrong with it?

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it was a commercial product that many started buying when it first came out, then sparkys dll came out for free so I think Nuclear Glory took a back seat.

I never used it, but I don't think anything is wrong with it. It's just not free.

Enjoy your day.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 03:20
So how does it fair vs SC?

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 08:09
Haha, when did this thread get so popular? I feel like I missed out on something important.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Haha, when did this thread get so popular? I feel like I missed out on something important."

Fashionably late to the party so all eyes on you as you enter!

Quote: "So how does it fair vs SC?"

I dug up what I believe is an old version (1.5 I think). Taking a guess and a few clues from some old source about how to use, I tried it out.

Mind you, this is a very old version, I think the latest is 3.something, but it was pretty decent. You set up your nonmoving models as your environment. You then move your objects/players around and test sliding collision at a certain radius with a certain gravity. Nuclear Glory then returns where your object/player should end up and then you just position your character there.

You can use the same idea for ray casting because it also returns where there was a hit. I had a lot of trouble with stairs though, and I'm not 100% sure that gravity works if the model goes below (0,0,0). But again, I tested a very old version - maybe it's a demo version- that I found on an old showcase game so I'm willing to bet the newer version of the Nuclear Glory collision dll is much better.

Enjoy your day.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 22:23
thank you as always latch

I suppose I will buy it as I am not so keen on SC for some reason...

[eitherway its good financial income for TGC, come on guys!]

But yeah I intend to use PhysX [DarkDynamix when its released...] for physics effects and graity so I will either suffice with that or also get NG for high speed stuff...

[who knows maybe you can show me the benefits of SC over NG and PhysX... keep in mind my pc games... are for pc only lol]

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "[who knows maybe you can show me the benefits of SC over NG and PhysX... keep in mind my pc games... are for pc only lol]"

Never really used NG (except the test mentioned above) or PhysX so couldn't really say.

After fluffy's plea, it got me to thinking about some tinkering I was doing in the past with Coldet, the open source collision detection library. I decided to take a look at it again and see if I can get an ok port to DBC going. The old code I have is working, but looking at it, it needs some improvement. Coldet has some good stuff it and it's rumored to be super fast so I'm a bit excited to see what might be done with it.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 03:33
I've never used a DLL!

I think I will have to re-brand this turret shooter thing to get some interest. It sounds pretty dull but it could be really cool, I will download some heavy rock music and work on some explosions!

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 10:41 Edited at: 8th Apr 2012 10:44
Getting close to finishing coldet collision for DBC, but I don't understand the license (LGPL) so I don't know how to distribute it. I don't mind distributing the DLL, but I don't want to distribute my source.

Enjoy your day.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 04:38
@Latch-

Don't want to distribute your source? Then are you planning on making a Coldet wrapper in C or something? That would be cool, considering the speed improvements.

As far as LGPL is concerned, I'm pretty sure that some redistribution is allowed. Don't quote me on that though. Very exciting!
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 05:39 Edited at: 11th Apr 2012 05:42
Quote: "Don't want to distribute your source?"

Not really. 3 things - I like keeping some tricks to myself for that magical day when I make that super game (yeah right!), and Coldet is in C++ but I only barley know C so the "in betweens" are kinda messy! And I want to be sure anyone can use my app without having to release their own source if they don't want to - and the LGPL makes it kinda hard to do.

Quote: "Then are you planning on making a Coldet wrapper in C or something?"

Not actually a wrapper, but more of a bridge or interface between DBC and the actual coldet library. If I don't want to distribute my source, I can only dynamically link to the coldet library which means I can't build any code around it, or include or modify any of the original coldet source so I have to call it externally with another dll.

I'm trying to make sure my code isn't GPL'd so that it doesn't force any other projects that use it to be GPL'd. The spirit of GPL is nice, but it does tie one's hands if they want to make proprietary closed source stuff and not have to reinvent the wheel to do so.

Enjoy your day.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 17:33
@Latch-

I agree wholeheartedly with you on the licensing issues. Are you sure that the LGPL restricts a person's ability to redistribute the library with a closed-source app? That would certainly make commercial software very difficult with this great-sounding library.

However, aren't there a ton of GNU GPL-licensed or even MIT-licensed physics libraries out there? I mean, I've heard of Bullet, ODE, and Newton. Surely there's a physics engine that meets the licensing criteria. Plus, a full physics engine sounds cooler than just collisions, even if in the long run it doesn't do a whole lot more. I would hate to distract you from this, though. It was just an idea, since if you're considering writing some kind of interpretation layer for another library due to the licensing concerns, you might as well go for the most ambitious project.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 21:58 Edited at: 11th Apr 2012 21:59
Quote: " Are you sure that the LGPL restricts a person's ability to redistribute the library with a closed-source app? That would certainly make commercial software very difficult with this great-sounding library."

You can redistribute stuff all you want, it's just in most cases, you have to cover your own software under the same license and distribute your source as well. There's a real gray area on how you can release your own binaries without releasing the source or covering it under the same license. It's possible, but the debate about it rages on. I think I'm doing it right, and if not, I'll adjust to compliance.

Quote: "However, aren't there a ton of GNU GPL-licensed or even MIT-licensed physics libraries out there? I mean, I've heard of Bullet, ODE, and Newton."

Dude, that's a lot of work! Coldet has only like 5 to 10 functions and I'm just picking up where I left off with it from 3 or 4 years ago. It's nice and compact and works pretty well - I've been basically done with my dll for a couple of days now! Just tightening up a few screws and also trying to come up with some examples on how to use it (and the 20 or so other functions I included!)

There are other collision libraries out there (but I already know how to use coldet) I just don't know if I want to learn them and then make them DBC compatible.

Enjoy your day.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 12th Apr 2012 00:05
@Latch-

So you are human after all! Well, it is excellent news that you are almost at the point of releasing it. I really don't have much to say except that I'm looking forward to being able to use sliding collisions on complex polygon objects and switch between meshes on the fly. This would enable a game level to be just a series of 3D models, and the ability to shoot at animated objects.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@all

Sorry for interrupting the flow. I think the projects that were on the table were:

1. Maybe Bowling
2. A turret type 3D shooter

Enjoy your day.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I was bored and worked out some stuff during a boring Fluids Lecture. Here is a VERY crude concept map with waypoints and spawn points. You don't have to use it, I probably will once I'm done with my current project since talk of it got me excited.

Think of the idea as a castle defense/space invaders feel. The ultimate goal is to defend the house from wave after wave of aliens/monsters/zombies/hippies. Ammo is in the crate by the house. Different weapons (if added) would be added to different houses (the further you wander out for supplies, the better stuff you find, but it means leaving the house unprotected). I got lazy and decided that the farm would be protected by a mountain range/impenetrable fence or something from 2 sides (more like 1.5 since one waypoint gets to the right side but still).

Also at the bottom is a VERY crude chart of different weapon traits. Each trait is rated from 1-5 where 1 is bad (slow, inaccurate, low ammo capacity, etc) and 5 is good.

Again, these are all just SUGGESTIONS. Talking about it before got me excited, and if my current project weren't a paying one I would totally be on board. Feel free to use any of this or disregard it entirely. Have Fun!

Great Quote:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2012 10:03
So.. If we're gonna do this, someone let me know lol, I haven't done anything in awhile lol

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 1st May 2012 21:19
I can make maps if we're using Coldet or Sparky's. Coldet sure would be a nice DLL to be used with DBC. By the way, the Dark Survival 2 Engine is already MIT licensed, and provides a lot of code that would be a great start to a first person shooter. Once the DBC Coldet wrapper is released, I'll add sliding collision and support for collision meshes. The reason I'm so keen on this idea is that it's a lot easier to model a map in a 3D program than to type in a 50 line script for each level.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 09:31 Edited at: 6th Jun 2012 09:32
Hey guys. So I got a bit bored and decided to start on the project that was talked about (at least, my take on it, since the final concept was never fully decided on). I wanted to post it here to hopefully encourage people to try their hand at it.

The only external thing it uses is Sparky's, since the native DBC collision commands were killing my framerates. It is feeling less and less like space invaders, though, so I might remove the spawn point that's on the left side of the house (the one with the ramp and the grey box).

Currently all you have is a semi auto pistol, but there is architecture for more types of guns. Use W to move forward, S to move back, and the mouse to turn left and right. Left click to shoot your gun. The crosshair is pretty terrible, but I haven't made a better one yet, so bear with.

Great Quote:

Attachments

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Not bad, BN2. Just a note, one has to put the DBCcollision.dll file in the same directory as the spaceinvaders.exe or they will get a runtime error 190 - "the dll was not loaded".

The crosshairs... oh the crosshairs...

Enjoy your day.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 06:14 Edited at: 12th Jun 2012 06:17
Oh good call on the dll.

And yeah, the crosshairs were a product of bad judgement cause by sleep deprivation. They will be replaced sooner or later. This was mostly a project to keep me active during my final exams.

*EDIT* I've attached DBCcollision.dll Place it in the same folder as the exe if you want to try the program.

Great Quote:

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 03:13
Oh cool, so.. are we going to do any team projects? I really need to catch up -.-

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 04:18
@Darkzombies-

If so, somebody needs to post the code to his or her work in progress.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:27:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:27:11