Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
If you cannot figure out the hands, go for digital and then we can work on the analogue, but I would suggest making an attempt first. I already posted about one method, but there are multiple ways of doing it (some more practical than others), so try coming up with your own method first!

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 06:22
So, about my clock, does it "pass"?
Yes I know I'm in no matter what but can you give me some feedback on the clock, what I need to improve and so please?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@DarkByNight
Oh yes, sorry about that, kinda got caught up in things. Looks good. I like that everything is thoroughly commented, though it might be a bit much. However, too many comments is 6x10^23 times better than too few, so its not too terrible.

I like the options to adjust the style. One way I would probably do it differently, though, is use an array to store the different styles, then use CENTER TEXT to place the text in the same place without weird location errors.

Try adding tick marks all the way around the circle for every minute.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 07:40
Any pointers on how I would place the ticks without needing to do 60 x some weird stuff?
I know plenty of commands, I just don't know quite how to put them together to make something.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
To avoid giving you the actual code, here's some pointers:

The FOR->NEXT command set has an extra option called STEP, so the syntax would be:

What this does is change the increase of the variable (in this case I) by whatever the STEP value is. So this code would only execute 10 times. The benefit is you can use the I value to do some tricks such as (SPOILER ALERT!!!!)

Great Quote:
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 09:33 Edited at: 6th Apr 2011 15:32
So I decided dots were easier than rotating lines so here is my new attempt!

EDIT: I must admit I am 100% excited to get working on this.
I hope obese get's back soon so we can start work!

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 07:57
Was this what you had in mind?

Only, something went wonky with the hour hand, and I can't seem to spot it, it seems to be an hour behind....
Ahh the joys of programming!

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not seeing the hour hand issue, here are a few notes though:

1) It seems like your INK commands are all missing a ",0" at the end. You aren't the first person to be able to get away with it, but to aid in compatibility always make sure to add it in, so that it would look like:

INK RGB(255,255,255),0

2) Your minute ticks are too spaced apart and are shifted a little. To correct the shift, adjust your FOR->NEXT loop from 1-360 to 0-360. The tick spacing can be corrected in your math. Your equations are Radius*cos(2*angle). This ends up only creating half as many dots as necessary (it essentially places every other dot).

Good work though! This week has been kinda crazy for me, so I haven't been able to evaluate the status of Space Invaders yet. If Obese doesn't show up by the weekend, I'll see what I can do.

Great Quote:
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 08:34 Edited at: 7th Apr 2011 08:35
Sweet, that fixed it.
I forgot , 0 at the end of ink, I usually set up an array of possible colors, I'm not used to calling the command seperately from a function.
I have learned so much folrm this challenge alone, can't wait for the possibilities of learning from a new project!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2011 06:24
It's nice that we got a mention in the news letter good work guys!
Now we HAVE to finish it!
The wireless in my new home hasn't been working but randomly started working tonight so I thought I'd post in case it doesn't work tomorrow.

This signature is intentionally left blank.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome back Obese!

I started looking into Space Invaders, and it actually seems kinda almost done in a "No loose ends to tie up" sorta way.

My notes:
No player collision with bullets
Aliens shoot too often (solution: replace the RND(150) command with RND(450))
Aliens do not continue to go to the edge of the screen if the aliens next to them are killed (scrolling occurs when the left and right most aliens from the ORIGINAL set touch the sides).

My official stance here:
It needs to be finished, but new Noobs aren't the one's to do it. Not that they can't (I have definitely been surprised many times since the start of this thing) but because it mostly involves tweeking code that they had no part in writing. Meaning they have to learn TO code, learn THE code, and don't get to start from scratch. I vote take on a new project and Space Invaders can be finished up behind the scenes.

As always, it's your team and your call though.

Great Quote:
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree, we might as well finish it since it's almost done.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Obese and Ashingda
I can begin to work on a new project with DarkByNight, Teh Stone, and MrValentine if you guys want to work on finishing Space Invaders.

@any and all interested parties:
I am opening up delegations for the next project (be it after we finish space invaders or at the same time). Throw out any suggestions you have. Keep them simple and try to keep it something that we can play for free so that we can all have a common reference.

My suggestions:
Asteroids
Tetris
Bust a Move

Great Quote:
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I have started working on Space Invaders again adding sounds and effects, should be done soon.

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
I will be happy to help with anything that you need me for but to be honest i think its a bit late in the day to be joining in on space invaders now.

I think a big collection of arcade games is a good way for this team but i think asteroids is a little to simple for a team game, why not have a bit more ambition : D not sure what to suggest but someone could whack out an asteroids clone in a day... (Sorry BN2)
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
There's actually quite a lot of good stuff in a well done asteroids clone that you can learn. But I'm willing to consider other options as well.

Just remember, anything you think of will be harder than you originally plan on.

Great Quote:
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2011 05:57
I reckon an asteroids clone would be fun, maybe have different enemies as opposed to just rocks and powerups or something?
I really don't know, I'm pretty much up for anything!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2011 03:35
Asteroids is probably the best choice as it has the widest scope for original ideas. You could just start with a ship flying around space and plan the game out from there. I think we should stick to 2D though.

This signature is intentionally left blank.
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2011 11:38 Edited at: 13th Apr 2011 11:39
Okay I vote asteroids in 2D.
How does everyone else feel?
I'm really really itching to get started!
Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah shounds goods let get started

Definately stick to 2D, how are the tasks going to be divided
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I will pull some design documents together today after classes. Expect a thread started within the next 6 hours or so (no promises on that one but that's what I'm shooting for).

In the mean time, play through this version of asteroids a couple of times to get a feel for what we will be imitating.

Great Quote:
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I think asteroids is a boring game.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 13:45 Edited at: 15th May 2011 13:46
Noob Challenge
Here's an interesting simple problem...
Say I wanted a random number, but I want the middle numbers to be more probable than the highs or lows (which is usually the case in a lot of statistics). How would I do that?
Extra points if you can give another solution to make the lowest or highest numbers the most probable.

Your memory has been erased by a mod - Your new name is Brian.
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2011 23:40
Saw this just now so coded something up in 20 min. I'm pretty sure it works. Just enter a NUM to get a random number from 0 to NUM. And select the draw to middle power, - for outwards and + for inwards, 0 for no effect.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2011 02:49 Edited at: 19th May 2011 03:16
@razerx
Nice one!
I can't test this but your middling one should work fine.
Getting random numbers to skew towards the middle is like throwing dice. If you throw multiple dice there are more combinations that will make the middle numbers, while the highest and lowest numbers can only ever be made from one combination, no matter how many dice you throw.

I'm not sure if the division of your numbers lost data or not, because fractions are cut off (forgot the proper word!) instead of rounded, values will get skewed slightly towards the lower end - but like I said I can't test it so I'm not sure if this is a problem.

Your "draw outwards" routine was a bit hard to follow, I edited it to make it easier to read.

There shouldn't be any code inside a FOR loop that isn't executed on every iteration. Checking the value of the counter variable each iteration is a waste of processing time and you should extract the code and place it either before the FOR loop, or make an additional FOR loop just for the special code if there are multiple values on which you wish to execute the code.
If you wanted to do something different when you reached half way through the FOR loop for example, why not cut the FOR loop into two loops?

You can usually get away with having checks like this in a FOR loop, but if you had a FOR loop running into the thousands of iterations, it would make a significant dent in the program's speed. So that's why I'm bullying you into getting out of the habit. Also it makes it easier to read.

Your interpretation of the higher and lower weighted random numbers was interesting because I actually meant for them to be separate functions! No matter, it's still useful.

I did this a few years ago but I can't remember how!
It had something to do with multiplication.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2011 22:36 Edited at: 22nd May 2011 20:58
Hello,
I thought I'd have a go at making some banners. I'm not very experienced with GIMP and these are extremely basic; simplicity was the aim but I'm sure someone with more expertise could whip up something better than mine.
Anyway, these are just a bit of fun and a way to say thanks to those who have stuck around, and those who will stick around in the future.

Copy >>

This banner is for new DNG members.

Copy >>

This is a special banner for members who have worked on multiple DNG projects, wear it with pride!

Copy >>

This banner is reserved for exceptional team members, who have provided continued encouragement, organisation and tutorship to our members,
and remained dedicated to the spirit of DNG. I am thinking of renaming this "Mentor".

Copy >>

This banner is for members who are currently taking the lead role in a DNG project.

t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2011 00:03 Edited at: 23rd May 2011 00:04
thanks for the useful info It was a quick program but it works, I could def remarked a bit more but all the two are is the inwards just averages the NUMs, based on power, to get one most likly the middle. And the outwards just takes the num thats farthest away from the middle num.

Cool banners, will use em

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 20:41 Edited at: 10th Jun 2011 20:54

Hmm, not so sure about those. I'm happy with the new logo though.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 11:22 Edited at: 24th Jul 2011 19:30
I would like to join, if youre still recruiting, that is, i dont have any code to show you, but i can do stuff up to menu's (Text and PNG) Saving, loading, you know.

Been coding about 2 months.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 23:54 Edited at: 24th Jul 2011 19:29
I want to do something challenging. So the next project you guys do, can i have a part?

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 08:19 Edited at: 24th Jul 2011 19:40
Oops, can a mod delete this please?

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2011 20:06
Hi DZ, sorry I'm very busy at the moment and haven't had time to do any coding.
When I get back to it I'll let you know. BN2 is running an Asteroids project at the moment, I don't know how that is going but the thread is on this board, ask him if you want to work on that project.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, post on the Asteroids thread, I'm sure it's only partway down the page. Honestly I've needed people to work on it (it never really got off the ground) so if you're still interested, that's awesome. I would have posted a reply before, but I've been pretty busy the last couple weeks with my new job (hooray for paychecks again!).

Thanks for the interest!

Great Quote:
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 22:49 Edited at: 7th Aug 2011 23:06
People really dont like talking on this thread lol. But anyways, I've been trying to get started on a project thats unique and catches attention, but I never know how/where to start, and I have some games that can influence it, but I still haven't thought much about how to make it unique, more than most games. I dont even have much of what I expect out of it, I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I'm not one of those people that rushes through and just wants to be famous, I just want to be noticed, and make something that everyone likes. If anyone has any ideas or ways to make this a fun game, tell me.

I really don't like working alone, I just never so well when I do. So I am asking for help, I haven't started at all with the project.
I am mainly figuring out what to do on it, I can only really do 2D games, mainly cause I really suck at modeling. So if anyone wants to help me with some ideas or some code to help me start that would be nice.

-Darkzombies

-------------------SIG---------------------------------

Lilwereboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Is this thread still alive? If so, would i be able to join, I need some help learning to code

Shhhhhhh..... I'm eatin a cheeeeZzzburger
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 20:37
I'm really not in any position to start running a project at the moment. Sorry guys, there are some big things I need to sort out first.

In the meantime, post any code you are having problems with here or in the main board and I'll be happy to take a look at it, the others around here are very helpful too and will help you out.

If you like I could even set some coding challenges.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 20:56 Edited at: 9th Aug 2011 21:02
@lilwereboy Me and you can do something simple to help you learn, or find some other project to work on, my motto is: "Even big projects, have little jobs. And they all make a difference."

@OBese87 It's ok, I was just asking for an idea and maybe some code to help start out, I'll just work with lil on something.

And for anyone who is good with music, can you make the attached music loop seamlessly?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 00:06
I actually got a good idea for the project, but can i have something i can use for the Dark Noobs intro screen? I'll just make a placeholder for now.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Is this thread still alive? If so, would i be able to join, I need some help learning to code "

Hey, Lilwereboy. It's not dead, but not alive, per se. Think of it as hibernating. Neither Obese nor I have time to manage a project right now and there hasn't been anyone else to step up to the plate. I'll probably be free in a month or so when work ends and school begins again.

I may start a project up before then, so keep your eye on this thread, though it's hard to do a project without a good handful of people (2 could work, but it really depends). I'll see what I can do, but no promises.

Great Quote:
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 05:26
Hey BN2, I'm gonna help lil, I don't really have much to do right now.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Hey BN2, I'm gonna help lil, I don't really have much to do right now."

That's cool, like I said I can't quite manage a project just yet. Maybe in the next few weeks if I can rearrange things, but no promises.

Great Quote:
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 08:37
Is it weird I check this everyday lol?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Darkzombies

Not at all, so do I

As it stands, I am thinking about starting a Bust A Move clone project. If that sounds good to you guys, then I will get started on some preliminary work and (hopefully) be ready to start by next week.

Great Quote:
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 08:59
Bust A Move? Don't think I've played that before, plus I'm not much a clone person. I think making up new ideas is more fun.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 10:19
Gonna go to bed soon, I guess I can help with whatever you decide to do.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
The reason we do clones is because there are:

1) Examples that we can look at (it helps to have an example when you are making something for the first time)

2) We don't have to get caught up on things like: gameplay mechanics, story, plot, etc.... We can just focus on how to do the things and have fun adding our own twists to it.

3) It's much easier for the project manager to work with (it's easier to stay 2 steps ahead of everyone else when you have a well defined end goal).

As much as I enjoy making up new things, we lack the man power to be able to do that effectively and, honestly, we would probably still end up reinventing the wheel.

Great Quote:
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 07:20
Ok. So are we going to do it? I just feel if you put the work into making up the idea and storyline and other stuff, there's a less chance it will end up not being finished. But I'll help with anything. Nothing else to do lol.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But I'll help with anything."

Well that's good to hear. I want at least 2 people for the project. Lilwereboy are you still lurking about?

Great Quote:
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 07:59
I havent seen lilwereboy since he posted lol.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 10:19 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 10:29
Hey, do you happen to know anything else than darkbasic? Like HTML or CSS or Flash or LUA/INI?

I know all of those to an extent.

Just wondering, also, want to make a website or something?

(Actually XHTML but theres no real difference)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 23:06:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 23:06:08