Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dego - Co-op Action RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 02:41
Quote: "What d'ya think we're for?"

Was wondering the same thing.

By the way, my company's offer to blow air on you still stands.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What d'ya think we're for?"

Got to go through everything to make sure it's at least possible
I did a four player testing session the other day, and I've made a lot of balance changes so the last dungeon is actually beatable and the rarest items can actually be found.

Quote: "By the way, my company's offer to blow air on you still stands."

Yeah, I don't know what that means

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 04:10
It's friday... where's the demo at?

Quote: "Yeah, I don't know what that means"
I guess you'll never find out, because you didn't come through on that demo as you promised.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 04:11
Just checked.. it's only thursday.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 05:35
[/b]

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 20:31
Holy Crap! it's friday! **Mouth Drops**

New Site! Check it out \/
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 22:18 Edited at: 6th Jul 2009 23:48
Dego Demo Released!
Download here!

Features:
4 dungeons, 60 items, and a bucketful of monsters
Play with 3 friends - difficulty and treasure chests scale with player count
Explore dungeons to find bonus quests and secret rooms
Face off against challenging bosses

Can I use my old character?
Yes! In the old Dego Beta "Saves" folder you will find a file for each character and a save of your control config. Just copy and paste these files into the new Dego Demo "Saves" folder. When you first load your character, the save file will be auto-updated to work with the new saved data, included an additional page of character statistics.

Hint:
If a dungeon is too hard, don't keep trying forever. Completing previous dungeons, and the quests inside, can earn a lot of exp and items.

New Feature: Trade with other players!
Make sure to test out this new system! Two players at a time can trade by selecting it from the Shop sub-menu. Three star items are incredibly rare, so if you're playing with greedy friends, trading might be your only option!

What didn't make the demo?
Gamepad support, unlock shop, and a proper title screen

How do I control the game?
While controller support is planned for the final release, it didn't make it in time for the demo. If you want to play multiplayer, you can use a program like GlovePIE, which lets you map gamepad and wiimote buttons to keyboard keys.

All controls can be changed ingame, but default controls for player 1 are: arrow keys, z, x
Pressing "Escape" will forfeit the current dungeon

Additional Credits:

Bugs? Design comments? Gameplay stories?
Tell me what you think!

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 22:50
Been watching this from afar but never got round to downloading it, so I'll play it now
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 00:25
*downloads feverishly*

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 01:35
Downloading now! Can't wait to play it later today

The one and only,

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 01:55
Bug report:

I created a character, and started the Farmland dungeon (first time). Whenthe map loaded, I cannot see my character nor can I move around. The game did not freeze, as I can see the fire moving and I can press Escape to go back to the menu. It always turns out the same no matter how many times I tried to play the dungeon.

The one and only,

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 02:56
I got the same thing as Ply, but only when trying to do multiplayer. It worked great on single player! The goblin level is darn hard though, I still haven't beat it even using my old Level 12 Archer.

Another minor bug - occasionally if I kill an enemy next to a wall or obstacle, their item drop gets stuck in the wall and I can't pick it up.

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 03:22 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 03:33
Downloading now.....

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! SLOW INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Whenthe map loaded, I cannot see my character nor can I move around."

I loaded the first dungeon around 30 times now, in every combination of player numbers, and I can't recreate that bug! You get it every time, BMacZero only gets it in multiplayer, and I've never gotten it.

Let me understand what is going on, does the map load in the top left corner with the burning fire? Does it play the dashing sound effect when you double tap a direction? It seems like the characters aren't being positioned and are starting stuck in the wall at position 0,0

Quote: "Another minor bug - occasionally if I kill an enemy next to a wall or obstacle, their item drop gets stuck in the wall and I can't pick it up."

Yeah, I've seen that a few times myself. I'll add it to my to-do list

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 05:34
oooooooooo
will play as soon as i get my new server setup

Anyone need a free masterserver for their game? Email me
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 05:59
Hum, multiplayer seems to be working now . No idea what changed.

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 07:16 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 07:18
it was amazing! i loved the blowing up scarecrows helps a lot! never finished first dungeon, i'm on the last half(the rainy part) but had to stop. those 3 headed dogs or whatever they are, are a pain in the butt!

Do you have to have 2 people to do the 2 red switches???? that annoyed me lol.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 16:35 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 16:36
Quote: "i loved the blowing up scarecrows"

Hehe, then you're going to love the third level:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Someone else reported the same error as Plystire, which is still confusing me. It worked fine in the beta, and the code hasn't changed at all. The only thing that comes to mind that I did differently is compress the level data inside the exe. Maybe there is some data loss when uncompressing at startup?

Here's a link to the uncompressed exe. Can someone like Plystire who consistently has the problem copy + paste the new exe over the old one and see if anything changes?

Quote: "Do you have to have 2 people to do the 2 red switches????"

One person can't press both switches by himself, but you can use more than players to hold them down.

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 18:56 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 19:01
The new exe solves the bug for me.. Playing now.

EDIT: Accidentally quit the first dungeon, loaded it again and got the same bug again where you can't see your character. Will reload the exe and see if it's solved.

EDIT2: It was solved when I quit Dego and ran it again. So it must be something to do with a variable.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Diru, can you check if it's atleast loading the player start positions correctly? If it loads and you can't see your character, hold down the ` key. It should display the starting coordinates for player 1.

I'm going out for the day, so hopefully I can solve the problem when I get back!

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 21:03 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 21:39
Im on a different computer now, but I'll see if the error comes up on this one as it could be something to do with the computer, will edit once tested.

Edit1: Old exe didn't work the first time. Restarted it and it worked. Creation on first try and load on second try.

Edit2: Very good game, would like to play more but haven't got time at the mo' had a random glitch where I was attacking a wasp and an orange 4-legged thing and they randomly moved across the map into a hedge, I could still kill them though.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 03:52
Holy crap is that exploding barrels!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

This is sooooo amazing! i love you jimpo! lol

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 11:20 Edited at: 7th Jun 2009 11:21
Quote: "Holy crap is that exploding barrels!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

This is sooooo amazing! i love you jimpo! lol"
Wow. And my company thought that we were obsessed..

To Jimpo: We are willing to blow air on you.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 15:31
Shame, does not work under Wine. "Could not load music at line 7" Is the filename correct with case sensitivy?

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is the filename correct with case sensitivy?"

No, I didn't know something like that would matter for some people
Try renaming these two files:

Quote: "This is sooooo amazing! i love you jimpo! lol"

Thanks!

Quote: "Very good game, would like to play more but haven't got time at the mo' had a random glitch where I was attacking a wasp and an orange 4-legged thing and they randomly moved across the map into a hedge, I could still kill them though."

Glad you got it to work sometimes. Now that you bring up the bug, I think I remember seeing it twice before, months ago. The monsters just kind of randomly flew across the screen and stopped. I never saw it again, so I assumed I changed something that fixed it. It was so completely random, I wouldn't even know the cause

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 00:30 Edited at: 8th Jun 2009 09:22
the main issue i'm having involves collision. in my first sitting with the latest demo i found myself stuck more than once (in places i shouldn't have been able to be, and otherwise) and found some dropped objects un-obtainable since they spawned where i couldn't reach them. and, i think i saw some (smart?) placement code in play as an item slid a few pixels to the right, as well. is it trying to make "itself" reachable?

also, the first time i spoke with the envoy, it kicked me to the main menu. i was able to speak with him later, tho, without issue.

again, my first run with the latest demo, here. will conquer all available soon!

~ Burke the Cluk Collektor

edit: just tried to mask my mis-spelling of envoy (was "enjoy" ).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 01:26
Quote: "No, I didn't know something like that would matter for some people
Try renaming these two files:
+ Code Snippet
Positive01.mid -> positive01.mid
Theme01.mid -> theme01.mid"

Gah, din't work. I guess Wine does not like your game then I think im gonna try run it with Virtual Box.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 06:31
Virtual Nomad is a very good idea.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 06:43
Quote: "Virtual Nomad is a very good idea."

I'm sorry, What? Lol, just a mistake I'm guessing.

I haven't tried the newest demo but when I did play it was good!

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 06:46
Quote: "I'm sorry, What? Lol, just a mistake I'm guessing."
A mistake? No. I don't think so..

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 10:00 Edited at: 8th Jun 2009 10:53
I fixed the problem before coming back to check for any updates (whoops, shoulda stopped by sooner )

The way I fixed it was by going into compatability options for the executable and changing compatability to Windows XP (SP2)

I am running on Vista Home Prem 64-bit, btw.

I am loving the game and since fixing the issue I first had, haven't encountered any other bugs... though i tend to stay away from falls and any other collision objects since I use magic and magic tends to disappear when i stand too close to a wall.

I noticed you did decrease the collision radius for some of the spells, which I'm thankful for, but the larger ones still have the same issue.

I've played up to the second dungeon boss (died when someone distracted me and I ended up eating a fireball lol) with my necromancer and loved every second of it! Earth Rod FTW!!

Going to go play some more now.

The one and only,

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 20:55 Edited at: 8th Jun 2009 20:55
@Virtual Nomad,
I'm going to add in a collision check when an item drops and then reposition accordingly.

The level editor usually auto-sets up the collision, but sometimes when I redraw parts of the map I have to change the collision by hand. Don't know how I missed that whole strip of water in the well!

Quote: "also, the first time i spoke with the envoy, it kicked me to the main menu. i was able to speak with him later, tho, without issue. "

What a weird bug... did it kick you after you bought the blessing?

Quote: "Gah, din't work. I guess Wine does not like your game then"

That's too bad, anything I should do to make sure it's compatible?

Quote: "I am loving the game and since fixing the issue I first had, haven't encountered any other bugs... though i tend to stay away from falls and any other collision objects since I use magic and magic tends to disappear when i stand too close to a wall. "

Glad your enjoying the game Sounds like I need to do a second round of shrinking the collision radius!

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 05:20
Feature Request:

Can you allow us to decide which level of our special skills that will be used?

I like to preserve my skill gauge, and, honestly, the Necromancer's level 4 skill is absolutely useless when you're playing solo.

The one and only,

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 14:24
Quote: "That's too bad, anything I should do to make sure it's compatible?"

Can't think of anything It's ok.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 11:26 Edited at: 10th Jun 2009 11:29
Quote: "Can you allow us to decide which level of our special skills that will be used?"

i would like this, too. how about making each 1/4 of the special bar a clickable button where we can set which special to use.

maybe allow the mouse cursor to show in town or at start and let us choose there then re-hide the mouse when play starts. and, if, say, we choose skill 2, allow the special meter to rise full. then, when used, subtract 2 bars. you get it

edit actually, would prefer choosing 1-4 anytime... just hide the mouse if it's not moving

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 16:19
Or simply use the 1-4 keys to set the special to use. Since it's a four player game and all players are on the same keyboard, the mouse might be a bit inconvinient. You'd have to have four keys in a line for each player.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Feature Request:

Can you allow us to decide which level of our special skills that will be used?"

It would be a useful feature, but it's kinda hard to do. I can't really think of a good way to work it into the controls, and the mouse would be too awkward for multiplayer. Then there are balance issues to think about: why would a necro ever use his 3rd skill when he could just use the energy to summon 3 ghosts at the same time? Normally, the old ghost would be dieing by the time you filled the bar enough to summon a second.

---

One thing I want to know is: how is the game's balance? Has anyone beat it or was it too hard?

The goal was for each dungeon to last 5 levels, so you should be able to beat the second forest by level 10, etc.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 00:31
Quote: "why would a necro ever use his 3rd skill when he could just use the energy to summon 3 ghosts at the same time?"

Because I play solo and the necro's 4th skill doesn't summon ANYTHING. (Probably because I have no dead allies to turn into undead demons) Also, I sometimes prefer to use the 1st level summon because the thing moves around faster and has an easier time getting to certain opponents.

Also, what about the paladin? There would be instances where I would want shields instead of healing/resurrecting people.

Quote: "I can't really think of a good way to work it into the controls"

How about adding a third button, which would toggle through the different skill levels for usage? Then have a little arrow above your skill gauge showing which skill level (or gauge bubble) will be used.

The one and only,

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 01:55
As for balance, maybe if the player has say, the 3rd skill, but it would be useless in that case, they can use the 1st skill instead - it still empties their bar just as it would if they had used the 3rd skill, but a different skill is used. I agree selection would be hard, though.

Quote: "One thing I want to know is: how is the game's balance? Has anyone beat it or was it too hard?"

I beat it with my level 17 archer.

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 17:15
Quote: "I beat it with my level 17 archer.
"

AAAAHHHH! i can't get past the rainy forest..... lol but i'm not great at it anyway. my only problem is that sometimes i will kill only one enemy of the like 5 on the screen and another 5 will pop up. which when they are like the 3 headed dogs it makes it reallly! hard to beat lol

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Because I play solo and the necro's 4th skill doesn't summon ANYTHING. (Probably because I have no dead allies to turn into undead demons) Also, I sometimes prefer to use the 1st level summon because the thing moves around faster and has an easier time getting to certain opponents."

I think you misunderstood what I said; if I allowed the player to choose which skill they use and a necro filled his bar 3/4 of the way, summoning 3 weak minions at the same time would always be better than summoning 1 strong minion, making the skill useless.

Quote: "As for balance, maybe if the player has say, the 3rd skill, but it would be useless in that case, they can use the 1st skill instead - it still empties their bar just as it would if they had used the 3rd skill, but a different skill is used."

I like this idea! It would let players choose the skill without letting them spam the lower level skills.

As for controls, here's what I have in mind:
-Plystire's suggestion of a third button to toggle which skill is used
-Press a third button plus the corresponding direction key to select which skill is used
-When you hold down A+B to use your skill, an arrow scrolls through the possible skills; let go when it is over the skill you want to use
-A quick fix: If it's single player and res skill is used, automatically use the skill below it and leave a bar of energy left

Quote: "I beat it with my level 17 archer."

Sounds about right, that's the same level my test char beat the demo

Quote: "AAAAHHHH! i can't get past the rainy forest....."

What level were you? I wanted some challenging areas later on, but I didn't want players stuck on the first area! When I can place down 3 headed dogs with the click of the mouse, I sometimes get carried away

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 21:51
Looks great as I've come to expect, can't try the demo out right now by evil OS constrictions but I'll dig up a way to play this as soon as possible!

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 00:44
Only a level 6, that's probably why lol

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 13:37
Quote: "-Press a third button plus the corresponding direction key to select which skill is used"

This one has my vote.

The one and only,

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 01:31 Edited at: 16th Jun 2009 01:32
Quote: "When you hold down A+B to use your skill, an arrow scrolls through the possible skills; let go when it is over the skill you want to use"

This one has my vote.

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 15:34
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Anyone need a free masterserver hosting for their game? Email me
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 08:41
I tend to use my skills in the midst of battle, and I think having to hold the keys down would make you very vulnerable to an attack.

The one and only,

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I took a break after releasing the demo, but now it's back to work!

I've fixed up nearly all of the demo bugs reported and added a few new items that should have been there. I'm working on putting together the next area, which should be done soon. I've got all the monsters ready and the dungeon designed, I just need to set up all the spawn points and NPCs.

I really want to finish this project soon! I've already worked on it much longer than I wanted.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 08:58
I would love to see it completed. You've worked very hard on it so far and it deserves to be completed. You've done a great job, too, so I hope you can keep it up long enough to get it done!

"Never give up! Never surrender!!"

The one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 21:30:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 21:30:55