Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dego - Co-op Action RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the encouraging words Plystire!

Here's of screen of what I've been up too:

I really like how this dungeon turned out, it's probably my favorite level so far.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 22:29 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 22:29
Looking good, it really gives that desert feel.

What are your plans for the future levels? How many will there be?

The one and only,

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What are your plans for the future levels? How many will there be?"

Well the plan is: Forest>Goblin Mines>Desert>Some kind of snow level>Catacombs>Final Dungeon

Plus I want to throw in an extra Battle Arena style dungeon where you can compete in challenges for bonus items.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 17:14 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 17:15
Quote: "Well the plan is: Forest>Goblin Mines>Desert>rainbow snow level>Catacombs>Final Dungeon"

fixed it for ya, Jimpo

AcP2142
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 02:24
That is by far one of the best games ever crated with DarkBASIC that I have seen so far. It is excellent. The classes and customization options are great and combat just feels like it should. This is going to be the next best RPG since Diablo. I love the demo and can't wait until the full version is released. How many man hours would you say you have spent on this so far?

The only thing constant in life is CHANGE.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That is by far one of the best games ever crated with DarkBASIC that I have seen so far. It is excellent. The classes and customization options are great and combat just feels like it should. This is going to be the next best RPG since Diablo. I love the demo and can't wait until the full version is released."

Wow! Glad you enjoyed

Quote: "How many man hours would you say you have spent on this so far?"

Local radio station runs a program where they play an hour of new music each night from 9-10, so I work while listening to that. If I miss a day, I'll usually work 2 hours the next one; so about an hour a day average. According to the created date at the top of the source file, I've been working on this for about 230 days So about 230 hours? Wow... have I really spent that much time? I guess if my game gives more hours of entertainment to all the players than it took from me to make it, it's all worthwhile, right?

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 04:35
Quote: "Local radio station runs a program where they play an hour of new music each night from 9-10, so I work while listening to that."
A good idea.

Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 16:00
Honestly, this has got to be probably the funnest DBP game I've played... Now all I got to do is find someone to play with

Keep up the good work Jimpo!
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 23:43 Edited at: 6th Jul 2009 23:47
Quote: "Honestly, this has got to be probably the funnest DBP game I've played"

Thanks for the support! Glad people continue to enjoy the game

Huge update:
Demo V1.1 release - If you played the previously demo, there is no need to redownload. It's the same demo content-wise, I've just fixed nearly all of the reported bugs and finally got around to adding joystick support. I've also fixed some critical bugs with the 4th necromancer skill and with the way HP regeneration worked. And hopefully, there will be no more trouble loading maps! New download link
New gameplay video up on youtube - It features a couple rooms of one of the new dungeons I've added. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyAGsLyW3sQ
Official website - Now that I have a functional demo, I want more people to have the chance to play. So I've setup a website to, hopefully, get the word out: http://degorpg.blogspot.com/

Right now, I'm focusing on finishing all the content.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 23:06
nice vid, jimpo! was that done in a "god mode" of sorts, or did you really fight through the last minute or so with 1 health

looking forward to playing the updated demo soon (especially the joystick aspect; gamepads ok, right?).

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Nope, no god mode Actually, I thought I was going to die in my own video but the poison ran out just as I reached 1 hp

The update has support for whatever DarkBasic's joystick() commands support. I was going to add in your force feedback code before posting the update, but I decided to wait until I added an option screen to let players turn it on/off.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 09:20
Quote: "an option screen to let players turn it on/off"

mine has the option right on the pad itself (i think "all" force sticks/pads have that?).

btw, nice sig

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Seems obvious that they have the option on the controllers themselves I guess I'll add the option just in case.

Quote: "btw, nice sig"

Thanks, wanted something more than just text! I would have added more characters/links in my sig, but I hit the text limit

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 21:33
Quote: "btw, nice sig"
Agreed, but I prefer the one you made, Virtual Nomad. You are extremely brave and intelligent also.

Loved the website Jimpo, and I was holding my breath during that latest video! It looked like you were using cheats! I doubt I'll ever be that good, but for now, rainbow snow is enough.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 22:30 Edited at: 10th Jul 2009 22:45
Quote: "You are extremely brave and intelligent "

i fear virtually nothing and know virtually everything! heh.

no, i like jimpo's sig because it invokes thought and wonder. ie, viewer - "what's this little, horned being with attitude all about?". makes me want to click it, which is precise and to the point, and more than a simple "hey! click me!" sig. good stuff

add:
@jimpo, i haven't played with the updated joystick commands but prior versions were a little tricky, especially regarding force feedback. specifically, while usb sticks/pads are "plug and play", DBPro didn't update availability/capability on it's own when sticks/pads were plugged in/out consistently WHILE the program was already running, without a manual refresh. so, to ensure their presence and force/no force functionality, it's best practice to include the options (and turn on/off flags/checks in your controls routines) to avoid crashes, as you've already planned. and, note, the checklist commands (ie, PERFORM CHECKLIST FOR CONTROL DEVICES) are serious system hogs, so use sparingly. you probably already know this but it's worth mentioning

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 04:21
You should be leading those game development teams. I have yet to test the newest download, but this game is amazing. Multiplayer support, loads of items, *sigh*. It's brilliant.

Time is money. I just ripped you off.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, thanks Irojo! That's quite a compliment

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 04:11
Whoa, You almost died! Nice vid, This game is awsome......

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 04:49 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2009 08:27
this is a neat little project, keep going at it..

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's the latest Dego update copied from the dev blog.

Introducing the Ice Temple

The Ice Temple is a multi-part side quest. This is the grandest, most adventurous quest to date - featuring an entire bonus dungeon designed solely for this challenge.

Players team up with five archeologist to excavate the old Ice Temple.

What you'll find is a massive raid featuring extra large monster groups, extra large treasure spawns, and rare, bonus items designed only for this quest.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 22:53
WHOA. Looks..........long. Gotta play thhis wit my other two friends.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 03:54 Edited at: 24th Jul 2009 04:01
Wow! This is really cool.

Suggestions
* Ability to shoot/hit diagonally- if the wasps can do it, why can't you?
* I was a necromancer. When hitting (button A), you move forward. This is cool, but the screen scrolls jerkily - basically it jumps forward in one frame. Would be nice if it was smoother.
* some kind of tutorial or just a readme would be nice. For instance i wasn't really sure what the second bar under the lifebar did.
* it seemed that i could go down the well, but later when i retryed the level, i couldn't. Is this a bug?
* in the shop there didn't seem to be a preview when buying clothes and stuff. It's nice to see what you're buying, and it gives encouragement to save up for it. A actual "shop" using the game engine would be sweet, maybe where you could try stuff on, or try weapons out before you buy. Or maybe part of the fun in buying stuff is not knowing.

Stuff that was awesome
* graphics are super
* seems solid. no crashes. a wasp got stuck inside a bush once but i still killed him. Otherwise no drama at all.
* everything is pretty intuitive - even though i had no instructions and don't play this kind of game usually, i managed to suss it all out quite easily, which was pleasantly surprising given how complex the menus and that are
* there are tonnes of options!
* it's great that your game is saved. It's also great that it seems any work you do in the game is "progress" - so there's no reason to want to save then go back , so the autosave is perfect.
* love the exploding scarecrows. Really satisfying because they cause a lot of damage to enemies, and i felt like i was being a bit skillful.
* pleasant change of scenery when you go down a hole. plenty of graphical variety.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 21:59 Edited at: 24th Jul 2009 22:01
Quote: "WHOA. Looks..........long. Gotta play thhis wit my other two friends."

The game is definitely funner multiplayer. New tactics open up and you find a lot more items, giving you the chance to trade for what you want.

@Dr Tank - thanks for in depth feedback!

Quote: "* Ability to shoot/hit diagonally- if the wasps can do it, why can't you?"

I never even thought of that! I'll try and test it and see how the game plays.
Quote: "* I was a necromancer. When hitting (button A), you move forward. This is cool, but the screen scrolls jerkily - basically it jumps forward in one frame. Would be nice if it was smoother."

I'll look at smoothing it. The camera does make a huge jump when someone dies in multiplayer.
Quote: "* some kind of tutorial or just a readme would be nice. For instance i wasn't really sure what the second bar under the lifebar did."

There's actually a sign by the camp in the first dungeon that explains what the second bar is and how to use it. But I'm definitely going to write a proper readme for the final release.
Quote: "* it seemed that i could go down the well, but later when i retryed the level, i couldn't. Is this a bug?"

It's random whether you can go down wells/holes. For other dungeons, the entrance to secret rooms are always in the same location, but they are harder to find.
Quote: "* in the shop there didn't seem to be a preview when buying clothes and stuff. It's nice to see what you're buying, and it gives encouragement to save up for it. A actual "shop" using the game engine would be sweet, maybe where you could try stuff on, or try weapons out before you buy. Or maybe part of the fun in buying stuff is not knowing."

My intention was for the shop to be random to give people a chance to try out outfits they never would have considered buying. But your suggestion of an ingame shop is filling my head with ideas! Don't be alarmed if one of the latter dungeons has a shop in one of the side rooms.

Quote: "* everything is pretty intuitive - even though i had no instructions and don't play this kind of game usually, i managed to suss it all out quite easily, which was pleasantly surprising given how complex the menus and that are"

This is something I'm glad to hear. Because this is a multiplayer game and some of the people I wanted to play this with aren't the best gamers, I wanted to make everything very pickup-and-play, easy to get into.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dego time you change the name?

madninjas.co.nr
mike5424.dragonadopters.com
http://www.blizzardpets.com/register.php?ref=mike5424
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 20:43
Awesome stuff. I really like this game.

Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 16:36 Edited at: 7th Aug 2009 16:38
Excellent!

Up until now, I've been the only DBPro 2D game developer I know (nearly all of my productions have been in 2D). I am happy to find another who enjoys the format.

You have made an excellent game, Jimpo; I've just managed to pull away from it after playing continuously for three hours... I have a level seven warrior and a level eight mage! My mage managed to take out the dragon at the end of dungeon 2 relatively easily by ducking in and out of cover, but my warrior has real trouble taking the dragon on. I've yet to play multiplayer - are there plans to introduce net play or are you sticking with same-computer multi?

I haven't started the goblin mine yet, as I'm not high enough level to survive there, but I'll play through it later on. I'm very impressed with the game as it stands (though I'd really like the ability to use a skill lower than the one I've achieved). You've done some great work here, and I'd really like to see a finished product.

I haven't encountered any crashes, just the two bugs that have commonly been reported here (bees getting stuck in walls and magic/wall collision making it hard to shoot through obstacles).

I like the oldschool feel of the game in general. You've done a great job. Keep up the fantastic work!

[EDIT]: One question... What does the four leaf clover condition do?
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 10:34
Damn, it sounds so much fun xD reminds me of Crystal Chronicles (It sucked single player, but was amazing otherwise.)

Well it certainly does not work under Wine, Jimpo when this game is done, would you like to me port it for Linux? And maybe some other plats (Pandora handheld) using Irrlicht. I could also add Network support if its tile based game. (Tile based multiplayering is lot simpler than any other)

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 10:39
Double post.. Forget about what i said above (I could still port it native tho xD)

But with latest Wine it works! (Wine is such fast moving project..)

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dego time you change the name?"

I don't really have anything to change the name too, and it's pretty late in development. If I make another game, I'll definitely google search the name.

Thanks for the comments Agent and Inspire!

Quote: "My mage managed to take out the dragon at the end of dungeon 2 relatively easily by ducking in and out of cover, but my warrior has real trouble taking the dragon on."

Melee characters require much more dodging, so I've tweak them slightly to be stronger.

Quote: "though I'd really like the ability to use a skill lower than the one I've achieved"

On the to-do list

Quote: "One question... What does the four leaf clover condition do? "

The clover makes the next set of chests spawn as a tier above the current dungeon. Each area in the game has its own chest graphic and item list, and if you're lucky enough to find a four leaf clover, you can find a really strong item compared to what you would normally find at your level.

Quote: "But with latest Wine it works! (Wine is such fast moving project..)"

Good to hear

@ comments about net play - I don't currently have any plans.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 03:18
How about Dehgo, or Degoh or something?

Time is money. I just ripped you off.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2009 21:22 Edited at: 29th Aug 2009 21:23
Quote: "How about Dehgo, or Degoh or something?"

I'll probably have to do something like that.

I've been posting all the updates on the game's blog, so just so you don't think this game is dead, here is a summary:
9/14 dungeons complete
Over 100 items finished
Changed confuse condition and added special graphic to confuse and freeze
20-50% FPS boost
Improvement to melee characters
New item abilities and NPC scripting events

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 03:31

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 12:53
Quote: "How about Dehgo, or Degoh or something?"

Quote: "I'll probably have to do something like that."

Oh I hardly think anyone will confuse your game for some kind of racist hate propoganda. Dego is fine, it's coming along great. Been lurking the thread since it first appeared.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 02:56
Hey Jimpo, I just gotta ask, how are you doing the characters? like, maybe a better question would be how are you doing the whole.....custom thing? I'm dangorusly curious as to how......

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 17:58
:-o

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey Jimpo, I just gotta ask, how are you doing the characters? like, maybe a better question would be how are you doing the whole.....custom thing? I'm dangorusly curious as to how......"

You didn't need two new topics to ask that question. The players are actually 8 sprites placed on top of each other.

Crypton33
Years of Service
User Offline
When i start lvl 2 (Sprite Forest) i get error:
"Could not load music at line 14578".
Crypton33
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for help -.-
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I hate how members on post approval don't bump the topics to let people know of replies

Hopefully what I suggested on the blog will work. You are obviously able to load the previous music, but dungeon 2 has the first MP3 file. I don't know why it loads the MIDI music fine but gives an error for MP3s.

As for an update for everyone else, it will still be two months at best before I can finish Dego. The final bit of a project always takes the most time, and I want to make sure the last dungeons really give a great close to the game.

I'm considering a second demo and want to know what you guys think. It will keep people's interest and hopefully bring in some new players. But there are a lot of problems too. It will showcase more than half the game's dungeons, making the final the release not as special. And in the existing dungeons, there is some unfinished material I haven't gotten around to.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2009 17:17
How about a new video?

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I've begun working on the Catacombs, Dego's penultimate dungeon. This level features the strongest, most unique enemies so far and has the most drastic graphic change between dungeons 1 and 2. Just what is buried in the depths of the Catacombs?

Be careful, skeletons and zombies are looking to add your corpse to the unkempt piles. And keep a close eye out, who knows what else haunts these narrow halls.

Explore the crypts and the burial mounds. Just watch out for traps!

Think your character is strong? Face off against the deadly vampires, capable of sucking the health right out of you and then transforming into a bat to make their quick escape.

The game is nearly complete, so I've decided against a new demo and will just wait until I can release the finished product. But I still plan on releasing a trailer video shortly before the game is completed.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 23:07
looking good, jimpo. i gotta get my paladin back into training!

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 04:52
My archer(lvl. 11! YAY!) smells blood. Looks Awsome, Jim.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't seem to play

my player doesn't appear and if im playing with someone else it only works 1/5 times

---
Mike5424
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 21:22
Wow! i can NOT wait!

New Site! Check it out \/
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can't seem to play

my player doesn't appear and if im playing with someone else it only works 1/5 times"

This is an old problem that several people had. It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure this has been fixed since the demo. The final version should work.

@everyone, I took a nice break from this game, but now it's back to work! The longer you wait to finish a project, the harder it becomes, and this is a project I'm committed to finishing.

t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2009 03:48 Edited at: 4th Nov 2009 03:50
[NM]
Someone may have asked this already, but where did you get the images for the game? It looks great and in the far, far away future I would like to make a 2d RPG.
[/NM]

Wait... NM I think I just stumbled apon it-RPG maker.

Razerx
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
The game looks great man, awsome work. I ran the demo for a bit, it was fun.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2009 06:16 Edited at: 9th Nov 2009 06:17
Quote: "The game looks great man, awsome work. I ran the demo for a bit, it was fun. "

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the demo! The full version should be much better

---

While working on a new set of items, I realized I have many more graphics for melee weapons than I do for range and magic weapons.

So if anyone has some free time and would like to make a weapon, I am gladly accepted additional graphics! For anyone interested, I have attached the base sprite for bows and staffs. Any weapons should follow the 3-tile animation format and be positioned in roughly the same spot as the base weapons. Each animation cell is 64*64.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2009 16:05 Edited at: 9th Nov 2009 17:06
Well that's good that you mentioned it, I was about to ask . I'm a fan of 2d games and you're a great inspiration.

[edit]
Here's some bows I made using your base model.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 22:21:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 22:21:07