Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The MOD Contest

Author
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 22:07
Ply,you made the deadline in the worst time possible,exam times. So if there will be another mod contest over the summer,ill give it a go.

A.K.A. chargerbandit
[href]http://chargedstudios.ultimatefpsc.com/[href]
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 01:39
Well, being as old as I am and having school/exams/homework all year round due to college, it did not occur to me that having exams or school work in general would effect the contest in this manner. I guess I'm just so used to having exams and stuff like that that I've been able to work around them all the time.

Sorry about the deadline timing. It WAS earlier but was extended so as to allow people to work on their entries longer. I'll try to keep exam times in mind for the next time.

The one and only,

Indiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 20:31
Can I be a judge?

32 bit Windows Vista Home Basic, 2 GB RAM, 101 GB Hard Drive ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 128 MB, Pixel Shader 2.0
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 11:05
Hmm. Hockeykid and myself aren't having much luck. We've remade our entry three times because, appartenly, FPS Creator or your mod doesn't support the commands we're trying to set up in our scripts. If we can make the deadline tommorow, we might still be able to sumbit a mediorche game, in hopes to take second place. It's not looking very promising at this point

-Kravenwolf

Success is not final--failure is not eternal.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Sorry to say that I'm having to drop out mainly because my personal time restraints have meant I've only managed to finish one level before the deadline.

Best of luck to all those others who manage to get their entries in on time.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 23:31 Edited at: 9th Jun 2009 23:31
Ply just so you know It may sound like Kravenwolf's saying were dropping out but we aren't.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 00:37
Understandable.

I will remove you from the list, Scene Commander.

Good luck, hockeykid and kravenwolf!

The one and only,

The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 00:38
This is a sad contest. Nobody entered yet.

I want a new computer!
Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 01:13
Quote: "This is a sad contest. Nobody entered yet."

So... The contest is sad because people are actually taking time on their entries in order to create a game that may actually have a chance to win the prize? Or is this because you want to judge and are being impatient?

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 15:57
I want to judge.

I want a new computer!
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 16:27
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaittttttt! Stop! Im entering after all! We still have time today so ill post the game's link in here after im done with it.I wanna be atleast 3rd

A.K.A. chargerbandit
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 19:16 Edited at: 10th Jun 2009 19:18
Lolz; I've stayed up all night working on the level. Now, I'm going to catch 4 hours of sleep, and then I'll use the last 2 hours of the night to finish our entry...and sumbit it by 11:59pm EST It's gonna be close. After that, I think I'll sleep 3 for days T_T

-Kravenwolf

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 19:30
Lol,I have done the full 2 level game today.All the graphics,three times rebuilding,figuring out why textures are missing... got me mad so I just left out the bug with the skybox in level 2,its supposed to be an alien level anyways.Here we go:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152199&b=35

A.K.A. chargerbandit
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 23:20 Edited at: 10th Jun 2009 23:21
Hey Ply, how are we going to divide up to judge.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 00:19
Good luck, everyone. I've added you back on the list, djmaster.

@GERM:

I will forward the judges their appropriate scoring sheets soon. Each judge will score each game and the final scores will be the average of the score given by each judge.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 04:20 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 05:50
Almost done, just finished me extraordinary gameplay mechanism

However, this is turning into more of a tech demo, so no complete story yet

Alright, building.

So, here is a note for when I upload it.

There is an extra control, push "F" to melee with a fireaxe. However, due to this being a beta script, It has a slight issue where it sucks at low framerate. At low rate, the weapon will not come back up, and after attacking you can kind of just run into enemies, and they die when you get a half a seg away. My best attempts to fix thwart me, but it'll get done sometime.

"I can't imagine what this place would have been like if I hadn't found you here." - BJ Hunnicutt
http://s1deadfrontier.net/refer.php?ID=310886&SERVER=s1deadfrontier.net
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 06:24
FPSC has built exactly 10 lightmaps in 1 hour. I don't think I can finish building my entry and upload it in time for the deadline. Oops.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 06:39 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 22:56
Here's our entry (Kravenwolf & Hockeykid):

Edit:
The door in the first room can be opened by walking up to it and pressing ENTER. It costs $1000 to open the door, and access a new area of the map. For some reason, the HUD doesn't appear when you're up to the door

-Kravenwolf

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 07:03 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 07:09
http://www.mediafire.com/?m12nxgmwdyj

Oasis Tech Demo
Meteorite

As I said, due to some techinical difficulties, my entry is a tech demo to show what the final product (figure of speech, free) will be like. It will not be fully released until it is as bug free as possible. Consider this tech demo my entry. Almost done uploading, bout 3 minutes.

Please forgive any lateness, my first build failed, so I had to rebuild. Before I could do that, I had to reboot since the editor stopped working, even after restarting the editor. And then the upload took about 45 minutes. Ouch.

Complete[href]null[/href]

"I can't imagine what this place would have been like if I hadn't found you here." - BJ Hunnicutt
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Also so you know you can buy an axe near the self behind you.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 09:22
So far I have received 3 entries.

Entries will be accepted for a few more hours, then judging will begin.

The one and only,

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Three entrys isnt that much. How about you expand the contest for a week. I have just found a mini game i made a while ago and would like to enter. I want to change the graphics performance slightly and add in some extras (Like Golden Weapons). I have school now but would be able to probably post my entry when i get back. Just give me a day

http://arenas4146.webs.com/
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 10:02 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 10:14
Quote: "Three entrys isnt that much. How about you expand the contest for a week. I have just found a mini game i made a while ago and would like to enter. I want to change the graphics performance slightly and add in some extras (Like Golden Weapons). I have school now but would be able to probably post my entry when i get back. Just give me a day"

I don't think that would be very fair to the other contestants. Hockeykid and myself ended up designing 4 seperate games for this compitition, but had to cancel the first three because either FPSC or the mod would not support our scripts.

Our final entry that was posted a few hours ago in this thread JUST met the deadline. We started working on it last night, and worked through the night to finish it on time(hence the game title, "12 Hours" ) We didn't have time to incorporate the other features, we didn't have time to refine the level layout, or the other things that would have made our entry better.

-Kravenwolf

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 13:05 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 13:51
Well, that garantees me airmod SE then, hey-oh!

Agreed, while mine was like, 6 minutes late, I didnt even have to test to see how the build went

Working with the time I had, I didnt have time to make the effect more noticible, or explain it.

The effects I talk about are
1. Enter a room w/ 3 people- flashbang

2. That special effect just before- due to hallucinations caused by radiation (again, thank lack of storyline as of now for confusion)

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 15:12
Yeah thats true,atleast I get airmod se yaaay! And one of EAI guns

A.K.A. chargerbandit
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
The thing is that at the moment it isnt much of a comp... Its basically ply giving away stuff for free... Im gonna post my entry anyways...

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 19:16
Quote: "The thing is that at the moment it isnt much of a comp... Its basically ply giving away stuff for free... Im gonna post my entry anyways..."

I disagree, those of us that met the deadline are competing against each other for first place. That's a compitition.

-Kravenwolf

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 19:31 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 19:32
Its still a competition who gets 2nd place to get more stuff.Ive also made a list on how it might turn out: 1st-Kravenwolf and hockeykid,2nd-me,3rd-meteorite
Why like this? Well I played all entires and Kravenwolfs and hockeykids is far A+,mine is quite good but meteorites level design isnt that good aswell as some werid parts and bad lighting.But thats just my opinion.And I definately agree with Kravenwolfs post,if you do that im going to refine my level and upload it again after 3 days and say this is not a competition at the moment and enter.

Just one thing,when can I pick my weapon that I get by just giving a valid entry?

A.K.A. chargerbandit
JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 19:39
I made a game, finished ity completely. Then FPSC desides it can't read the .fpm files anymore. You have no idea how ****** I was, no idea FPSC can be so useless at times.

Good luck to the entrants (or winners, as they have undoubtedly won 1st, 2nd or 3rd).

JRH
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just one thing,when can I pick my weapon that I get by just giving a valid entry?"

After it has been scored (because scores over a certian amount get an extra one) and your entry has been deemed, by Ply, to meet all compo criteria.

I remember saying in the Ultimate compo thread that people need not worry about unfair advantages or anything because of Mods being allowed because in any compo the most difficult thing to do is completing your entry on time and finishing the race- so to speak. I'm sure you guys can agree with that. My hat is off to you guys for completing your entries. Best wishes to the entrants!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I made a game, finished ity completely. Then FPSC desides it can't read the .fpm files anymore. You have no idea how ****** I was, no idea FPSC can be so useless at times."

haha, then you have to just rename them to .fpm, because they had lost their value. and then open them up again

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 20:07
Yep Errant you are fully right.Cant wait to get a piece of your new awesome weapons I get one here and one at Ultimate Compo :d

A.K.A. chargerbandit
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 21:57
Same here

Yeah, my game is lacking, constantly hitting walls deterred me from working, being stuck on the same bug is quite discouraging. How did the fireaxe work for you?

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Well im not gonna bother to post my game... The greed here, its meant to be a comp, not a give away... Im gonna continue my work on the FPSC source code for my GCSE project...

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 22:07
The contest will NOT be extended again.

I felt this contest lacked publicity and attention from the start. Very few people had noticed it, even though it had shared a spot on the front page of the boards for so long.

It is your own fault for not entering when you had the chance. The contest started quite a long time ago, giving EVERYONE ample time to complete a measly two levels and working on media/gameplay. Even so, I extended the due date by an entire month, hoping that it would give people more than enough time to complete an entry.

I don't want to sound like a complete unmentionable, but to everyone who thinks that having exams and whatnot is a good excuse for not completing such a simple entry: I do not sympathize with you in the least. Being a Post-Grad college student in a year-round school, I have essays/papers/homework/tests/quizzes/exams to worry about all the time, yet I still find time to work on my Mod and get things done.

In all honesty, how hard is it to put together a small 2-level game with a bit of finesse, especially when you've been given months to do so?
The only answer I can conceive for this question is: neither this contest nor its entries were given enough attention.

To the three of you who complete an entry (albeit, quitting was given quite a bit of thought on all parts), I am thankful you stayed in, and you will be rewarded for it. Judging will commence soon, but not today. I will hopefully compile a scoring sheet later tonight and send it off to the other judges so that they can begin scoring.

The one and only,

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 22:07
Meteorite: I didnt get to the axe part as I got killed by those cultist or what they are and didnt try again then.

Arenas: I have nothing against you but your opinion about this contest is completely wrong.Thats all what im going to say.

A.K.A. chargerbandit
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 22:08
Quote: "Well im not gonna bother to post my game... The greed here, its meant to be a comp"

You're saying that we're greedy, when you were asking Ply for more time to finish your entry to try to win the compitition yourself? No greed here, just hypocrisy .

-Kravenwolf

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 22:11
Plystire said it all.Amen.

A.K.A. chargerbandit
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 22:16
Indeed. And I have to agree with Kravenwolf on that one, but then again I'm friend swith the guy, so that's not surprising.

A couple tips DJ, my level is probably damned difficult due to the lack of proper testing, I knew where the guys were, so I could exploit them.

You can use the medunit on the wall, it was put there just because I knew this would be overly difficult. Just push enter.

Corner peak, it leaves you position as behind the wall, so enemies can't see you, and will not react after you shoot them. So really, you can kill everyone undected with some skill. I s'ppose I need to fix that for my final release, along with getting autoheal to work.

By the way, how was framerate?

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The only answer I can conceive for this question is: neither this contest nor its entries were given enough attention."

Lack of a sticky may have hurt a little bit but the ratio of pledged entries vs actual entries seems pretty normal from what I've seen over the last few years. General lack of sustained interest and procrastination is usually what leads to most drop-outs. For future reference, I hope contest promoters will give points for WIP threads sort of like how it was for the ill-fated Nvidia compo where you can eran more points the earlier the thread starts. I think seeing how the competition is stacking up helps a lot in driving contestants to work on their entries.
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 22:25
Framerate was very well for me.Maybe more details would be needed in the levels and the first level entrance to second level should have a real detailed door there.The only thing that sucked for me from the start were the werid rooms,like you are dreaming a badly lighted fpsc dream.

A.K.A. chargerbandit
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You're saying that we're greedy, when you were asking Ply for more time to finish your entry to try to win the compitition yourself? No greed here, just hypocrisy ."

For you infomation i already have all of the prises available... part from the special ones, and even then dont have much intrest cause im using Xrmod... I wanted to post a game and see where my skill level is in the comunity...

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 22:38
Quote: "For you infomation i already have all of the prises available... part from the special ones, and even then dont have much intrest cause im using Xrmod... I wanted to post a game and see where my skill level is in the comunity..."

Ok...thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful day

-Kravenwolf

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 22:43
Yeah, I need to tone the yellow lighting down for the lighting

Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "By the way, how was framerate?
"

Framrate was great for me but after a couple swings with the axe it would't work anymore.

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 23:43
Hmmm, I'll look into

The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 15:16
I don't want to be a judge anymore. My GPU is too bad and I can't judge.

I want a new computer!
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 22:20 Edited at: 12th Jun 2009 22:42
I'm not a judge or anything but I checked out the three entries.

Here's what I thought of them...

12hoursentry

area52

Oasis

Technically, I think 12hours was the only entry which met ALL criteria- specifically

Quote: "- The Game's objective must be clear to the player."

because it says what to do on the load screen but as far as I am concerned all three will get the minimum prize from me. If you guys could, please post which weapon(s) you would like from my GCS collection and I will prepare the files while I await scoring and email info from Ply.

Just list like:
#1: choice one for completing an entry.
#2: choice two if enough points are earned.
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 22:36
Yeah, I couldnt dynamically changed skybox, so it looked pretty bad, but the end effect is nice. Hmm, no axe upon death, eh? I will fix that, it shouldnt be hard. I don't think I can do much with loading bugs. Yeah, about the box

My theory- its the clip of the deagle, probably an animation issue, may be related to FOV change.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hmm, no axe upon death, eh?"

Add :plralive=0:state=0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-16 09:55:24
Your offset time is: 2024-10-16 09:55:24