Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / henrys models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 09:16
Some games use a form of parallax mapping which is a combination of a normal map with a bump map applied to it.

Aside from the hijack, still great stuff Henry. Do you use pictures to base your textures on? They are very well detailed...still jealous.

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 18:57
Quote: "Do you use pictures to base your textures on?"

yes mate my textures are part handmade & part photo based.from what i can tell most of the latest games use this mix for there textures so i like to try to keep up .

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "my textures are part handmade & part photo based"
When you say photo based do you mean you take part of the texture from your reference image? Like your gun for example, when you textured it, did you put the side view of the gun image into the texture, and the textures you couldn't get from the gun image you made youreself?
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 19:37
yes mate i try to use as much of the reference images as i can ,then i clone areas to use on other parts ,if theres a lot of metal in the texture i try to make a base metal that i can use in areas that i havent got photo textures for ,then i try to blend them together so they match up .

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh sorry when you told me reference images could be used to build textures as well (from the other thread) I thought you ment that use the image to make textures, not use the image in textures. Nice tip, I'll be sure to try it out .
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 20:05
sometimes you can make your texture before you start modeling then use your texture as your reference images, then when the model is finished you can uv map it to the texture .this can really speed things up on simple models.

below are some pics of a model i made using this pipeline.the total time taken was under 1 hour for texture & model.
if you want to try it just save my texture & give it a go .

cheers henry

teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 20:10
All your models look great!
SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
But that doesn't always pay off, does it? I mean the hood of your car model, it stretched out the lighting on the texture to make the model look far too white. That, and the fact that lighting itself can be a problem when applied to a texture, because normally the lighting is done in 3D, right? I see where you going though, like the sword picture I traced my model from: The hilt of the model appears not to have any lighting shines on it, so I could use that, right? Ok, I get it now .
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 01:13
@Henry Ham

Very nice, I actually just downloaded that from FPS Files...

If I was ever given the opportunity to remove all the bad from the world, I wouldn't, because for there to be heroism, compassion and all that is good, there must also be all that is bad.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 13:56
latest model a real quickie for the woodwork comp ,model took about 10 mins texture took about 1 hour.its a bit crappy i know but i decided to enter at the last min so rushed to knock it up.

cheers henry

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 15:18
@henry ham

What would it have been like if you had been trying?

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Spyro0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 17:35
Great Models Henry, I'm just brand new to FPS, and the purchase of your excellent Character Creator Toolkit, really helped me to start to understand about all this uv mapping and stuff, hopfully one day I'll be able to produce the same quality model as you. Keep up the excellent work.

Smarter than the average bear.
SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "its a bit crappy"
I don't think it's crappy at all. In fact, it's pretty good. Just out of curiosity, did you use that "reference image texture" texturing style you told me about, or did you make everything?
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 00:21
no for this one i made the model first then made the texture .the texture is mostly handmade for a change to lol

cheers henry

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
@henry

Would you consider recording some of your work to check your workflow? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Great work...

Check this out: http://donations.com.sapo.pt/
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 01:55
bdgbdg /do you mean video ? if so im not sure how to do it

cheers henry

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Sent an e-mail

Check this out: http://donations.com.sapo.pt/
SK_Designs
Years of Service
User Offline
Nicely done models man... even though they are low poly
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 19:58
bdgbdg / got it mate will take a look

Quote: "Nicely done models man... even though they are low poly "

thanks mate

cheers henry

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
can you make some more tutorials please? your metal texture tutorial is the best i've seen yet!

madninjas.co.nr
mike5424.dragonadopters.com
http://www.blizzardpets.com/register.php?ref=mike5424
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 18:05
Quote: "can you make some more tutorials please?"

sure mate added a basic wood tutorial to my site just for you

http://www.henrysfps.com/id13.html

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 07:28 Edited at: 1st Aug 2009 07:32
Thank you for the tutorials. I notice a common style in your textures is rendering a cloud and then using the sponge tool, and then a some other few effects and lastely the dodge/burn/highlight tool to add some custom effects. Is this a common style for EVERY texture, or just for these specific ones? And just out of curiosity (for I have done this before but am not sure if this is the correc style of doing it) do you use something (like the wood texture) and use it for all the boards of the wooden object? Like you use the same texture over and over again with different dodge and burns on them?
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 13:50
Quote: "Is this a common style for EVERY texture"

not really mate everyone has there own way of doing things they are just 2 basic ways that give a good quick result ,if you were to search the net you would find 1000s of ways to do the same thing.

Quote: "do you use something (like the wood texture) and use it for all the boards of the wooden object? Like you use the same texture over and over again with different dodge and burns on them?"

you can its all down to the object you are texturing

cheers henry

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 15:44 Edited at: 24th Aug 2009 00:17
Quote: "sure mate added a basic wood tutorial to my site just for you"

you are THE BEST! (<-- seriously) thank you so much!
[ModEdit] don't stretch your posts out [/ModEdit]

dark basic keywords: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=156401&b=1
my models and textures: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=156401&b=1
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 02:09
latest model old tv set

316 polys 512x512 texture map (all textures handmade in ps )

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "latest model old tv set"
Love it. When you textured it, I noticed that the screen of the TV is round. Did you use a "project from view" type of texture when you made the TV, because the view of the model compared to the view of the texture seams proportional. Or in other words you did you make the UV Map proportional to the texture? I ussually add the seams normally, and then have to rearrange all the vertiecs of the UVMAP so it is proportional, but that is pretty time consuming.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 02:38
my workflow for this model was

1 made the model
2 made the texture
3 uv mapped the model (i highlighted each part of the model & planer mapped it then laid it out on the texture & moved the verts to get it looking right )

cheers henry

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Superb work! Best work I've seen around here in a while

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
Current Project: http://strewnfield.wordpress.com/ (Last updated 06/11/09)
SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " 2 made the texture 3 uv mapped the model "
Really! I guess that's a better way of doing it, sometimes when I unwrap a model even though I use the seams right, but I see how making the texture first, you can just edit the model to look proportional to your texture. Though, if it's not a simple enough model, say a human character, than the UV mapping comes first, right?
Leaning Objects To The Side
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG..Henry, will all of the models above be for sale at the TGC store? i want to buy all..please advise. thanks in advance. you are the best! keep up the Awesome work. your #1 fan. i hope you have a good day.

Cheers,
Tanya.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 11:58
SJH/ on simple models like the tv set its easy to plan your texture map,there arn't many areas to make, its basiclly just a cube so i just workout the basic areas im going to need & make them.i always have max & ps open at the same time ao i can jump backwards & forwards between the two editing & changing things as i need to ,i do test renders regularly to see how its looking.

Quote: "if it's not a simple enough model, say a human character, than the UV mapping comes first, right?"

yeh on more complex models i will uv map it first then render the uv map to a jpeg & drop that into ps to use as a template for building the texture.again i have both programs open at the same time & keep moving between the two editing the uv map if need be & rerendering it after any changes are made.

Quote: "will all of the models above be for sale at the TGC store?"

not sure what im going to do with the models yet ,i may make up a small pack & give them away will have a think about it .

ps i love you to tanya

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 19:07 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2009 19:08
Quote: "yeh on more complex models i will uv map it first then render the uv map to a jpeg & drop that into ps to use as a template for building the texture"
Ok, if it's not asking too much, can I give you a model and a picture of the object I traced, and then you UV Map and texture it? You can keep the model if you want, I just want to know what you would do with a model like mine.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 19:24
Quote: "Ok, if it's not asking too much, can I give you a model and a picture of the object I traced, and then you UV Map and texture it? You can keep the model if you want, I just want to know what you would do with a model like mine. "

sure mate send it over to me & i will have a play with it .max or .3ds is the best formats for me

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 19:33 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2009 19:36
Thanks! The 3ds model is attatched, and the picture I traced is in the last message .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 19:51
im getting errors with the .3ds can you convert it to edit poly then resave it as .3ds & .obj & i will try again.

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 20:04 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2009 20:08
Really? Hmm, edit poly... I have no idea, but let's try it this way, I edited a few things: the obj. http://www.mediafire.com/?dtimduwzgmt and the .3ds http://www.mediafire.com/?tojomu3j50j. If this doesn't work then I'm stumped . It ussually works with other people though, perhaps its just the conversion of blender to 3ds max that is kinda messy.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 00:41
sjh/ ok mate ive got the .obj to work ,had a problem with flipped normals & had to redo some areas of the model but alls good now .

just started a basic unwrap to see how it looks

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 00:46 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2009 00:49
Cool. I really have to familiarize myself with some of the aspects of 3ds max, such as importing a model from blender to 3DS max. Sigh, I have Maya 2008, not 3ds max, so I have no idea what 3ds max's options are about.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 01:18
basic uvs done ,will setup a quick texture tommorrow night

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 01:26 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2009 01:39
Ooh, nice job! If you don't mind, may I see the UV Map with the Diffuse Map when it's done?
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 01:31
sure mate i will post renders here .then when its finished i will email you the final files .

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 01:46 Edited at: 8th Nov 2009 17:22
thank you. And oh yeah, just saying, this model is not accurately made after an M-9 Bayonet, some detail I left off, I just wanted to make a simple knife.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 20:27 Edited at: 5th Aug 2009 20:35
SJH /sorry mate been busy with work so only just found the time to work on your texture .heres what i have so far (about half an hours work )

let me know what you think ?

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 20:40 Edited at: 5th Aug 2009 20:43
Quote: " let me know what you think ? "
Love it! I think either one of us could have smoothed out the handle, maybe, but otherwise love it! Handmade or used picture?
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 21:16
smoothed th grip the texture is handmade with an overlay on the blade

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice . Sigh, I wish I could make that, but in due time, I guess...
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 22:29
Quote: "Nice . Sigh, I wish I could make that, but in due time, I guess"

you did mate its your model ,i just stuck a basic texture on it.

cheers henry

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "you did mate its your model ,i just stuck a basic texture on it. cheers henry"
Yeah that's what I mean, the texture and UV mapping, I suck at that.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 17:25
todays model a basic wheelie bin

cheers henry

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 22:37
Awesome modelling there Mr Ham.

Login to post a reply