Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 18:04 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 18:07
thanks!

Dared1111, what do you think about the story? BMacZero doesn't think it is that original, and I am not sure. What is your opinion?

this thread is hot! yay!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 18:10 Edited at: 26th Aug 2009 06:42
I had a go at a more thematic banner, how does it look?

EDIT: Not needed here anymore .

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 18:14
looks good!
did you make that in photoshop?
if you did, can you attach it as a .psd file?

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 18:19 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 12:02
I don't think the story would allow us to go through a very wide variety of environments and moods, we can't have a believable story and magically place a weather machine to get an arctic mission.

I have no idea on a replacement story. In fact until now I thought this was a Multiplayer game. Anyway, if it isn't I can adjust the stuff easily, hell, It'd be done by tonight still.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 18:22
Sure

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 18:23 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 18:25
@Dared1111, Could you upload that in a different format? like RTF or something?

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 19:18 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 19:25
Cancelled post. Realised it wasn't attached. Then attachment wasn't a RTF. So see below for a PDF

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure. It's in PDF now. Do note that it's progress of progress, and I may in fact be switching the Fat Man for a different character, one which isn't comic, which would also mean the Piggyback mechanic would need some changing, not that that can't be solved with a sci-fi shield.

I may redo most of it with the earlier mentioned mutation idea.

Attachments

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 19:26
Blackout was an Open Source FPS started a few years ago. It did get pretty far, but then it died. It almost was resurrected, but it failed to resuscitate. Anyway, here are resources for anyone that wants them.

Threads:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=19&t=38828&p=1
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=8&t=41284&p=61
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=8&t=75991&p=7

Resurrected OpenSource FPS Site:

http://blackout.vectramedia.net/index.php

The link to the last known version:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JGSESKEE

Also, feel free to visit the OMMORPG site: Just click on my sig. We have a lot of free resources there you might find useful. You do need to register by sending a PM to myself or Registration.

@Monk:
Quote: "The last post anywhere for this project seems to be mid 07, and I know its 09 now, but I saw this on the DBPro forums and wondered if it is still going.

If it is, I would like to join in and help continue it, if not, then is there a download for as far as it got? Seems a shame for all this work to not get out to people...."

Sadly, no one has really used the site for a very long time. The link I posted above is to the last upload as far as it got. However, it seems I still have Admin access to the site (it may be very limited), but I suppose folks could use it if they wanted to. Let me know. Or you could use the OMMORPG site as well.

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 20:07 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 20:09
Quote: "I don't thin the story would allow us to go through a very wide variety of environments and moods, we can't have a believable story and magically place a weather machine to get an arctic mission.

I have no idea on a replacement story. In fact until now I thought this was a Multiplayer game. Anyway, if it isn't I can adjust the stuff easily, hell, It'd be done by tonight still."
It can still be multiplayer!

look at new attached sig banner...

a bit heavy on the fx?

RiiDii - thanks for those links!

I'll type up the complete document and give more info on storyline/level design. just give me a few hours...

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 20:30
That's cool, I like what you did with the text! I think the people might be blurred a tab much, though.

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 21:39 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 21:39
yeah, I overdid it.
this better?
old:

new:

Attachments

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 22:50
I'll happily involve, I would favour work on the level design, game design and maybe some 2d art/graphics. I don't use DBP anymore so I'll leave the programming to you lot, hehe.

I also have another project to work on, but I can easily balance stuff for now.

Do you mind if I attempt to elaborate on the storyline? I'm a bit cautious not to make the story something that is entirely the work of one person.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 22:53 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 14:50
Newton, I dont think theres a set level for people to enter, just creativity and positivity. Btw, the movement code looks good, but maybe timer movement instead of a sync rate 60 command. Its easier on the cpu.

Riidii, I didnt know that you were involved in Blackout, but thanks for the reply to my old message. Im downloading it now =)
Edit: What plugins does it need? Looking through the code there seems to be a few plugins I need to run it.

Dared1111, I really like the detail that you've put into the document. When I make games I really should do something like that. I do think that the storyline could give us some scope for variety. 14 Levels is a lot, and I reckon it would be a very good singleplayer campaign. The levels could then also be re-used in multiplayer, but I think that we should concentrate on singleplayer first, then apply that code to multiplayer after.
You could have levels taking out the supply routes, manufacturing plants, research plants, general enemy bases and the bosses tower. That provides a fair bit of variety.
The animal thoughtwave is very nice. Not sure it would quite fit into a modern fps, but we could include animals into the game eg guard dogs for and against the player.

Monk

I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 23:54 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 23:59
Thanks for your thoughts Monk. I'll take them into consideration, I don't want to take away the team's will power by deciding too much.

I couldn't finish tonight, I'll be finishing tomorrow. I got caught up watching Watchmen, excuse my pun which is relevant to the film.

Who watches the Watchmen? I do.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 01:36
Tom J -
Quote: "Do you mind if I attempt to elaborate on the storyline? I'm a bit cautious not to make the story something that is entirely the work of one person. "

Of course! by no means do we have to go with my story, and I would even prefer you changing and refining it.

Dared1111 -

Quote: "Thanks for your thoughts Monk. I'll take them into consideration, I don't want to take away the team's will power by deciding too much."

Take away the team's power? right now you are probably the best part of the team!
Take as long as you want, I just got dark game studio in the mail, so I will finally have cartography shop. sort of a waste, considering I already have dbpro + classic. but it is still a good deal.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 02:28
Quote: "Riidii, I didnt know that you were involved in Blackout, but thanks for the reply to my old message. Im downloading it now =)
Edit: What plugins does it need? Looking through the code there seems to be a few plugins I need to run it."

I wasn't involved in Blackout. I was involved in the attempt to resurrect it. As far as the plugin; I am not sure. Probably Sparky's, but you may need to check through the old threads.

As far as a new project goes, I would be happy to help.

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 05:28
I've been waiting for someone to organize a game like this for a long time. i will gladly do anything you throw at me. i can do Models, effects, sounds, 2d, and landscapes, but what I like the most is adding shaders, animation, and visual detail.(like re-shading models, bloom, particles, shine, ect...)

Coreldraw Graphics suite X3 >>>>> Yes
Darkbasic pro >>>>> Yes
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 05:48
i feel like the banner has a little to much blue in it,This is in No way a replacement! i dont have my favorite image software on this laptop, so i am using paint.net. the aplet isnt working, so see the attached file.

Coreldraw Graphics suite X3 >>>>> Yes
Darkbasic pro >>>>> Yes

Attachments

How is it going
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 10:34
Just curious... what are planning on using to make the levels.
Reason being is that I'm in the process of making a level editor, and although its far from done, I'd like to be part of the project... if I'm needed.
However I am making the editor in dark Gdk.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 12:00 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 14:50
Riidii, I ll have to read the threads because there seems to be an audio plugin im missing...

Just thought id try a banner....
Zaxer Thawl, Yours is good but a bit dark...

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 12:21
Quote: "Just curious... what are planning on using to make the levels."

I think one of the docs said anything that exports to .x ... I would use 3DWS for interior stuff and L3DT for terrain heightmaps; but that is just personal choice.

Does anyone have an object placement editor, so that a level could have all the dynamic stuff loaded in with it?

---

Refined story:
- Changed the quantum bomb, more of a nitpick than anything; but it doesn't sound scientifically like a bioweapon. By any means, feel free to change it back.
- Changed the motive; instead of killing "everyone", their motivation is money, and they will kill whoever doesn't give them any.

A new rogue island nation has suddenly appeared, and with a vial of "antiprotein", a chemical that attacks on a cellular level and kills organisms instantly; and access to a highly accurate "aerosol cannon" - they are in a position to attack any nation with it .

Their demands to the UN, they will fire the antiprotein at whichever developed country pays them the least over the next 2 week period. When two weeks is over the lowest payer will be eliminated, everything and everone in the nation killed.

Several countries are hesistant to spend anything, given both the economic conditions, and their own principles. However all the countries fear that one will stab another in the back at the final minute. So an international force is agreed to head to the island and dismantle the weapon, before the nation are able to fire.

You have two weeks to bring the world to rest. You have the tech, the money, and the heavy weapons. But do you have enough time?

Let me know what you think of that version.

---

I'm happy with the way the levels have been described, a mix of urban with rural stuff would be nice variety.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 12:32 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 14:51
IMO, I think the word bomb has a bigger effect on people than vial of antiprotein.
Quote: "Changed the quantum bomb, more of a nitpick than anything; but it doesn't sound scientifically like a bioweapon. "
It doesnt have to be abioweapon does it? The atomic bomb wasnt a bioweapon but was one of the more devastating weapons ever.

I like the tag line
Quote: "You have the tech, the money, and the heavy weapons. But do you have enough time?"
I think that sounds awesome. =)

The whole mention of money has me trying to think of a storyline where the player is the baddy...

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 12:36 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 12:37
Quote: "IMO, I think the word bomb has a bigger effect on people than vial of antiprotein."

True, true. Well maybe it could be a bomb then, it's just that a quantum bomb sounds like something deeply rooted in physics, so I just wouldn't expect it to kill organisms.

Quote: "I like the tag line
"You have the tech, the money, and the heavy weapons. But do you have enough time?"
I think that sounds awesome. =)"

Well actually thenerd came up with that, I just liked it too and so kept it in

Quote: "The whole mention of money has me trying to think of a storyline where the player is the baddy...
"

Well I was thinking that the money would be to fund this rogue nation, and turn it into a formidable superpower against the west, or something like that. I suppose the player could be corrupt; but atm the game doesn't seem like one where you are the baddy, since you are part of a team.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
I think we should consider making the player the baddies.

I replaced the Fat Man with The Anarchist and piggybacks with using the Anarchist as a springboard for the Vanishing Act, formerly known as Recon.

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 13:39
Quote: "I think we should consider making the player the baddies."

So would that be for a separate storyline then?
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 13:43 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 14:52
Well then we can decide which storyline we like more.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 13:45 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 13:48
I think for single-player the player should be good, but if we make multiplayer the player could choose good or evil.

Quote: "Just curious... what are planning on using to make the levels.
Reason being is that I'm in the process of making a level editor, and although its far from done, I'd like to be part of the project... if I'm needed.
However I am making the editor in dark Gdk. "

whatever you have! I'm using cartography shop, but if you don't have that anything would do.

For levels, what do people think, should the be set in a city or what I was thinking,the enemy military base hidden deep in the jungle.

Monk, if you want the sig to be a link, i'll save you time:

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 13:51 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 15:02
Quote: "For levels, what do people think, should the be set in a city or what I was thinking,the enemy military base hidden deep in the jungle."

Both, the variety is good and is better than just one place. You could even have an overgrown city as the bosses base that has trees and city structures.

I just had the banner as a pic, but a link is better =)

Edit: So that the link is shorter and lets you add something else to your signature.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
I think we should mix it up a bit.

A bit of city, a bit of the countryside, some snowy mountain base, some dark laboratory, a tad of destroyed village.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 14:43 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 15:02
The countryside can have hills trees, meadows etc lots of animals.
City can have buildings, construction sites, traffic, pedestrians (unless run away), pylons? Could even have some bank robbers etc ,police, the works.
Destroyed village could have a mine shaft that needs to be explored or other hidden passage.
Dark lab could be part of snowy base, breath would show up to make it even harder to see in dark. Sort of a more scary scene.

Monk

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 14:47 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 14:50
Quote: "A bit of city, a bit of the countryside, some snowy mountain base, some dark laboratory, a tad of destroyed village"

that is a good idea, though if we mix it up too much the levels will be inconsistent and random. You could do that by having the player have to fight across the enemy country to get to the base.

anyway, I typed a final quality document, so all I need is for Dared1111 to add his parts of it in when he finishes them.

Attachments

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:13 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 15:03
Quote: "though if we mix it up too much the levels will be inconsistent and random."

3 main locations isnt that bad. Plus, if the storyline is good, it will allow a variety of environments and incorporate it into the gameplay.

Monk

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:30 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 15:32
Quote: "3 main locations isnt that bad. Plus, if the storyline is good, it will allow a variety of environments and incorporate it into the gameplay."

True.
what I ment by that was, they should be interesting and different, but they should fit. For example it would not make sense to set it in say, New York City or any densely populated place because although it is immersive, it doesn't really fit. For a city, you would want run down and unfriendly, not shiny and bustling...

now, who are my level editors? I need a list of everyone who is going to make levels and what program they are using.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:35 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 15:03
You could have an introdcution movie where its shiny and bustling, but then a truck full of baddies come along and blow stuff up, so that when you revisit, the place kinda has a history and a reason why it looks so.

Monk

P.s, I dunno if I have time to code, but the programmers should be able to help out with level editing. First of though, I think people need to be told what they will be working on before we all get started.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:36
As long as it isnt too difficult to program.

Will this engine me modular? if so, what modules will need to be made?

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:41 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 15:42
Quote: "P.s, I dunno if I have time to code, but the programmers should be able to help out with level editing. First of though, I think people need to be told what they will be working on before we all get started."

Programmers can be level editors, too. I just wanted a list of who wants to make levels for the design document, and as soon as Dared1111 finishs up his part I'll distribute it and we can begin.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:43 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 15:04
How do you mean modular?
Like moving, shooting, physics etc using different but integratable functions?

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:44 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 15:48
if he means that then probably, that is really the only way. It would be somewhat confusing having 10 people working on the same file at once.
modules I can think of at the moment are:
-collision
-movement
-level loading
-entities/items
-player stat system (health, ammo...)
-ai module
and ill probably think of more...
but don't start coding just yet!

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:48 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 15:52
Thats what I mean. It isnt as straight forward as it seems, but it is by far the best way to do it.

Has anyone here done modular programming before?

Quote: "-collision
-movement
-level loading
-entities/items
-player stat system (health, ammo...)
-ai module"

From experience, this is a better list

-Physics
-Input
-Player
-Effects
-Entities
-AI
-Terrain
-World
-Networking
-Core

etc

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:51 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 15:04
Im trying it in my own fps, which has kinda been put on hold.
I just put all the firing stuff in one function, physics in another, movement in another, enemy in another etc etc. That just seems the logical way for me... Unless its wrong and Ill change it.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:55
I started a game engine, but the modular programming became too much. to change a collision function I had to go in collision.dba, only to find that it was just executing a command from another file, which could not be modified because it would make the shooting engine not work... and on and on and on!

but I think in this project it will work good, because there is more than one person.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:56 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 16:01
Theres no right and wrong way of doing it. I've written about 6 modular engines now (blitzterrain being the only completed one). But their all completely different.

Heres an idea, could I make a list of all the different things in DBPro and people can tick if they can do them or not? This will make it much easier for you to decide who is doing what.

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 16:07
Quote: "now, who are my level editors?"

Sign me up for some of them. 3D world studio, I may also use blender for some of the objects and then import them into 3DWS. I may also use L3DT for terrain heightmaps if that is how you want to load in the terrains.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 16:15 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 15:05
Quote: "but I think in this project it will work good, because there is more than one person."
And everyone will pool their experience to get it to work.

However, weve got to get a set plan together else people will go off at tangents.

Ill wait for the list kaedroho is making and will sign myself up for some of those. But are there any coding standards, ie standard variables across all functions. These have got to be listed first otherwise the function will fail...

On the plus side, Im glad were making progress =)
Monk

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 16:26 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 16:38
Ok. Here's the latest version, will fit in weapons tonight.

If anyone sees anything which contradicts, then please post. I have not proofread.

Edit: Forgot to attach again.

Attachments

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 16:35 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 15:05
Attachment?

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorted now. I forgot to attach again.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 16:44
Ive finnished it, but while I type the ticks and crosses firefox chooses to lock the post box. Its done it twice now .

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 16:55 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 16:57
Dared1111 - you beat me to it! i was writing up a final copy too! did you add that if you are playing single-player, the other classes are still there, but computer controlled?

kaedroho
- if you keep having that problem, put it in a text file in a download...

everyone
- if everyone agrees to Dared's design spec we can start working on designing the technical bits.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 05:30:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 05:30:37