Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 22:01
I might be able to help with some music... although in my own opinion I'm not that great...

Check out: http://www.myspace.com/enderleit

... for a couple of samples.

Also I can do some minor coding... I'm pretty clever , but have never really worked on any big projects, so might not be of too much use there...

You can mail me at: dbpro@eleit.dk
Just in case I don't get around to checking the forums.

- enderleit
[href]www.eleit.dk[/href]
kuljot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 09:26
Quote: "
Also I can do some minor coding... I'm pretty clever , but have never really worked on any big projects, so might not be of too much use there...
"

Same here. I will do some sounds though after this project starts moving.

Gateway GT5628 Quad Core Desktop Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core 3072MB RAM / 500GB 7200 SATA II Hard drive DVD RW 18X multi dual NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT ....
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 11:37 Edited at: 9th Aug 2009 11:37
@Tom J With the corrupted I'm thinking more deformed and "Staying alive to be savage, gruesome and brutish" than bloodied and "Staying alive for brains" or the other variation of "staying alive" sung by pubescent singers in their adulthood.

force master
Years of Service
User Offline
If needed I am good at creating huds, and I have been a professional web developer for about 5 years and can provide website programming (PHP, MYSQL, XML...) and design work. I can also do minor modeling work using either c4d or maya.
Potassium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 15:48 Edited at: 10th Aug 2009 15:49
I haven't really worked on any big programming projects and i use Dark GDK, but i think DGDK and DBPro are very similar.

For AI, you could use DarkAI, but that would mean everybody would need to buy it (which means more profite for TGC). Same for Dark Physics.

For bullet detection, you could use projectiles for snipers, rocket launchers, etc...

For machine-gun types (SMG's, AK47's, MP5's, etc...), you could use raycasting, or the pick object() command.

Somebody should get a working prototype up, that may be a good way to illustarte the concept. A prototype can just have some basics such as movement, shooting, different classes, etc...

OpenXDK is a homebrew kit for developing XBOX applications, but it requires a modded XBOX and is much harder then XNA.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 17:18
Quick, everyone buy Dark Game Studio Bonanza so we can use DarkAI and DarkPHYSICS!

Sorry Potassium, we've already decided not to use any non-free plugins.

You should still buy the DGS deal though .

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 17:18
Quote: "For AI, you could use DarkAI"

You have the small problem of me and wickedly kick it with that one. Its my favourite part and wki has also expressed that he wants to do it.

I would love to program with dark physics, and so would all the other programmers. But theres a small problem that it costs money, and the problem of having to create tonnes of workarounds for all the bugs.

Theres also bugs that cant be worked around like "hulk physics" on cars. Meaning when you push a car, the car just flys off at high speed and the object that pushed it is uneffected.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 18:48
Quote: "You have the small problem of me and wickedly kick it with that one. Its my favourite part and wki has also expressed that he wants to do it."

And Monk and BMacZero also expressed an interest. AI is one of those things its far more satisfactory to code yourself and make your own code, not use a plugin and set commands. It also allows flexibility as well.

Ill post the new map when I get the time. Had a full weekend and a two day cricket game tomorrow =S

Monk

I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours.
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 01:53
Quote: "Ill post the new map when I get the time"

Would this be the islands map? Should be good either way. I need to keep up with all this.

Quote: "With the corrupted I'm thinking more deformed and "Staying alive to be savage, gruesome and brutish"

Ok then, fair enough These deformed people sound a bit more interesting now, some of them could actually be angry enough to be on your side you know
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 20:32
i am home now, so i can finish the level editor

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 20:33
I wont be able to work for the next few months. I'm rewriting BlitzTerrain ground up in C++. Hopefully I can gain some speed.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 20:40
Hey, I count that as work .

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 20:54 Edited at: 11th Aug 2009 21:00
Yeah, but its not direct work on OpenFPS. Just a plug-in which will be utilised (I hope anyway).

The current release doesnt support deleting. This is because its based on the original DBPro version. As DBPro doesnt support allocating arrays inside arrays, I had to make 1 big array and chunk it up. but deleting parts of the array cause all the indices above it to fall down.

The main problem is Quadmapping, this is allocated per sector but sectors are allocated to terrains, making them impossible to delete as the indices will screw up.

All the above has made me limit the terrains to 1. Hopefully after this rewrite it should run faster, need less dependencies (better exe size) and allow deleting commands. As C++ can allocate arrays inside arrays.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2009 20:58
okay, i'll keep working on the editor, although I need blitz terrain to finish it off.

this project is not dead, just sleeping...

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess now is the time for people to mention what is missing or should be added to the design, such as mechanics and details I may have overlooked. It'd also be nice if the other designers would provide their 2 cents.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 00:05
Quote: "I guess now is the time for people to mention what is missing or should be added to the design, such as mechanics and details I may have overlooked"

During the game, there's only going to be 3 classes that the people in the game are made up of. That goes for the player and enemies? Then you would have AI humans in missions if required, but they don't have a class. E.g. the ferry mission would have humans in, but the rest of the missions will just be the 3 classes?

How far are we going with the physics? Explosive objects? Interactivity? I'm just curious...

Are we going to have vehicles in this game at all? There is the transport heli at the start, but anything the player can control? If so, we're going to need to knock up some designs and info for those.

Anything else that we haven't covered?

Monk

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 00:31
Quote: "I guess now is the time for people to mention what is missing or should be added to the design, such as mechanics and details I may have overlooked"

One thing, was the Anarchists; because while they got 5 more explosives - or something along that line - they didn't actually have a specific special ability like the bullet shield or invisibility. They came across as too much of an all rounder player IMO. Would it be worth adding something else like a COD style air bomb attack or something?

Also, I assumed there was going to be a sniper class, or is that just something that perhaps one of the existing classes would take on, like the vanishing act doing sniping while being invisible?

Quote: "Are we going to have vehicles in this game at all? There is the transport heli at the start, but anything the player can control? If so, we're going to need to knock up some designs and info for those."

There are many shooters that don't pull of vehicles very well, and I would argue that it makes the gameplay inconsistant, but if you all feel a certain bit needs you to take control of a vehicle, then you can probably get away with it going alright
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 02:06 Edited at: 13th Aug 2009 16:57
Quote: "I guess now is the time for people to mention what is missing or should be added to the design, such as mechanics and details I may have overlooked. It'd also be nice if the other designers would provide their 2 cents. "
definitely! just because tech is not actively being worked on is no excuse to stop designing everything else.

we should definitely add vehicles.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 03:38
Quote: "I want vehicles!!! definitely.
"

That's not a good reason.

No, really. Vehicles are going to be one of the hardest aspects to code if we include them. We're going to need someone who is VERY good at physics to execute them properly, otherwise it will look like crap. Even just having a 4-wheeled vehicle with all the wheels conforming to the terrain in a way that doesn't look ridiculous is going to be a challenge. We have many talented coders showing interest, but this is going to be a major commitment if we want to do it.

I would suggest adding them later if we want to, but I know that isn't a good idea. If vehicles are included, they are going to be a big factor in level design. So, we have to make a commitment now or leave them out.

That said, I think vehicles are really awesome, too .

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 11:25
I'm looking into vehicles for my own game, so I'd be happy to share whatever I find, but I agree, it will have to be programmed properly, any shortcuts will look horrible.

Vehicles do add that extra something to a game though =) If we could fit them in, I'm sure players will enjoy running people over !

Monk

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 12:48
what kinda vehicle, and are you using newton?

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 16:57
Quote: "That's not a good reason.

No, really. Vehicles are going to be one of the hardest aspects to code if we include them. We're going to need someone who is VERY good at physics to execute them properly, otherwise it will look like crap. Even just having a 4-wheeled vehicle with all the wheels conforming to the terrain in a way that doesn't look ridiculous is going to be a challenge. We have many talented coders showing interest, but this is going to be a major commitment if we want to do it.

I would suggest adding them later if we want to, but I know that isn't a good idea. If vehicles are included, they are going to be a big factor in level design. So, we have to make a commitment now or leave them out."
I think we should add vehicles, it will add some fun elements to the game, running over people, jumps, crashing through trees and buildings?
I started some code for handling it, not with newton yet because if you do one thing with newton, everything has to be done with newton to keep game speed up.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 19:37 Edited at: 14th Aug 2009 00:12
Thanks for the input. I'm going to have the new document up tommorrow.

Quote: "Also, I assumed there was going to be a sniper class, or is that just something that perhaps one of the existing classes would take on, like the vanishing act doing sniping while being invisible?"

Yes, that's the idea. Allow core ideas, and allow players to do that how they please. I'll likely make the Anarchist's special ability to be something to encourage sniping. Otherwise there's no reason an Anarchist would snipe. Maybe it'll be something that enables movement. Something balanced, like a grappling hook or a portable glider.

Edit: Grappling hook is in document now.
My physics section probably won't be very detailed, it likely won't include terms of scalars or vectors. I'll have to make that better in September when I take AS level Physics.

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 02:56
Quote: "Edit: Grappling hook is in document now."

Grappling hook sounds good, could prove to be very strategic
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 03:01
and good for hitting people on the head!

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok here's the new version.
I've added the physics to 4.4, along with a new 4.3.
The grappling mechanic is explained in the Anarchist's section, along with a slight mention that it is useful for supporting the rest of the team in the Team mechanics section.

I haven't added a vehicle section yet, as I'm not sure if the team is in consensus.

Next version I'll mention the orders systems and what happens to the AI in certain circumstances, such as when the player grapples.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 12:56 Edited at: 14th Aug 2009 12:56
Quote: "Grappling/Vanish Act
While not a directly helping the team, grappling allows the anarchist to"

You didn't quite finish that paragraph.. (end of 2.3) but its alright because you elaborated later on anyway.

Quote: "My physics section probably won't be very detailed, it likely won't include terms of scalars or vectors. I'll have to make that better in September when I take AS level Physics."

My school didn't cover that at AS, but you may at A2. Is it set that we're going to use Newton? or is that just a suggestion?

I like that design document, its a lot more in depth than the previous ones. Nice work.

I'm just curious, but how many people working on this are students? I am, and I just had an idea that could work if everyone else was.

Monk

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 13:24
Meeee I'm going into upper 6th this september.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 15:09
I'm starting Sixth form next year!

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 16:18
Soo, there is actually no code within this project but just a pdf?

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 16:47 Edited at: 14th Aug 2009 16:47
code isn't everything, you know. but yes, there is code. I just finished my polygon collision module, and kaedroho is working on terrain.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 16:54
@CuCuMBeR
We're being very careful to plan this fully before any code is written - I believe that's what killed the last community project or two.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 17:48
Once we get started, i would imagine we'd have too much code, so its good to make sure we get everything sorted first.

The reason I asked above, IGF
but thats a big IF its good enough by that point, and IF everyone happens to be a student. It would be ace if we were...

Monk

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 17:54 Edited at: 14th Aug 2009 17:56
I am a student, but I wouldn't be able to enter or go, for reasons I don't want to explain...
It would be awesome if we won, though...

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 17:55
That would be cool...but let's not get in over our heads, we haven't even written a line of code yet

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 18:10

yes we have!

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 18:46
and you got 10 pages already.
Well, good luck.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 18:54
I did say IF, and its annual so theres always next year =) lol
Glad to see the coding is coming on

Monk

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
IGF is open to all independent game developers, so we are eligible. The only thing that really stands in the way is that entry fee.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 19:51
The student entry is free.

Im still working on the driving stuff, im just having odd crashes with my pc =(

Monk

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 20:56
I wrote some code for it a while ago. I think its on page 4 or 5.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Monk, is that Student or Game Student?

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 22:22
"student", as in high school or college.

mitch793
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, sorry i havent posted in a while, ive been a bit busy.
If im still needed, im working on some more models.
Any requests?

If you can't find it, code it yourself!
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 23:44
can you do characters?

mitch793
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunately, no.
Sorry.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 00:00
ok, how about another gun, or maybe some rubble scenery?

mitch793
Years of Service
User Offline
Okey Dokey. Incidentally, i was just working on an SMG.

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 00:17
Wow. This project sounds great! I'd love to lend a hand. At the moment I'm learning DBPro, but I've designed Models, levels and music for a few years.

Best of Luck With This!
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 01:41 Edited at: 15th Aug 2009 01:41
once my level editor is finished, you can do some levels!

what kind of modelling can you do? guns are being handled by bmaczero and mitch, can you do characters?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 09:04:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 09:04:50