Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK Open Source Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 13:57 Edited at: 4th May 2010 14:02
Quote: "can you explain in simple how is the lua reads from a file? "

I'm using STD ostream file commands to load the script into a character buffer darklua::batch->script with darklua::scriptload(). The script is passed to a lua lua_load and if no errors its executed by lua_pcall with darklua::task::execute().

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2010 07:32 Edited at: 5th May 2010 07:47
nothing ? im sorry if im "pushing" just want to get the work started
already found some problems with 2D drawings using windows 7 but i will pass that somehow.

2D drawing FIXED!!!!
the use of dbLockPixel and dbUnlockPixel was the problem all along , it works great with Windows XP but apprently nor with Vista or windows 7.

photo will come soon
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2010 11:05 Edited at: 5th May 2010 16:54
AEM first shots i will not explain anything you will have to read a few posts back.

let you imagination go wild
-1 minutes of cpu drawing, image or texture of 1024X1024 and its just the beggining.
i will let you think on one thing, think of it as a terrain texture.

Before

After

and Terrain

the most less exprianced Level Creator can build amazing worlds!
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 11:16 Edited at: 5th May 2010 11:29
looks sweet, good luck with it dude

you are using dbDot to draw? if so, well whatever you are using, i think this way would be faster:

So let me explain what's going there, you get the darkGDK's device and store it in device variable:
IDirect3DDevice9* device = dbGetDirect3DDevice ( );
then you declare a variable that we will store the GDK's backbuffer in it
IDirect3DSurface9* surface;
now declare the variable that will hold the locked screen rectangle
D3DLOCKED_RECT Rect;
now the rectangle of the screen to lock
RECT lockRect;
//rect to lock dimensions
lockRect.left = x;
lockRect.top = y;
lockRect.right = x2;
lockRect.bottom = y2;

Now get the backbuffer, and store it in surface variable
device->GetBackBuffer ( 0, 0, D3DBACKBUFFER_TYPE_MONO, &surface );
now lock the backbuffer's (surface) rect, using the dimensions defined above
if ( FAILED ( surface->LockRect ( &Rect, &lockRect, 0 ) ) )
{
surface->Release ( );
return;
}

get a pointer to the screen's pixels
unsigned int *c = (unsigned int*)Rect.pBits;
now we're done, and ready for coloring, you can access an x,y point of the locked rect by using c[x+y*(Rect.Pitch/4)], you can assign it to a D3DXCOLOR_XRGB ( r, g, b ) value.
note that x and y are the x and y of the LOCKED RECTANGLE not the screen
for ( int x = 0; x < 1024; x++ )
{
for ( int y = 0; y < 768; y++ )
{
c[x+y*(Rect.Pitch/4)] = D3DCOLOR_XRGB ( 255, 0, 0 );
}
}

unlock the rectangle
surface->UnlockRect ( );
surface is a COM object, and thus needs to be released to free memory
surface->Release ( );

You can try it out, hope it makes any difference, it's worth a try anyway

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2010 12:13
sure it is man!
i tried lockpixel with DarkGDK and it dosent work.
i think your method will cost about half the time.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2010 12:16
hassan how about wraping directX for DOSP?
so we will have the DarkGDK commands and HasX Engine commands giving DOSP full power!

can you do it?
like you did above , just share with us ?
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 12:17 Edited at: 5th May 2010 12:21
Quote: "i think your method will cost about half the time. "

Hope so, if you have any questions feel free to ask, let me know if it succeeds

well i started on dx10 so, i stopped working on my old hasx engine ( see the new sig )
but i'm going to help if you need anything to be added, if i can ( hopefully )

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 17:52 Edited at: 5th May 2010 17:54
WOW, haliop AEM is looking really nice! In fact, there may be use for it with Channelized Image Map Processing (CHIMP). I'm aware that many desire to wrap up DX, but, it appears that wrapping up DX from the ground up to match the features of DarkGDK is very tall order. We have access to the source perhaps tweaks to the DGDK source could be viable and provide performance increases were desired.

I ran some test on DarkLUA to try to figure out the cause of your

[string "splashscript"] :2: '<eof>' excpected near '<<'

TEST #1 Script

NO ERROR

TEST #2 Script

ERROR

[string "splashscript"]:2: '<eof>' expected near 'end'

TEST #3 Script

ERROR

[string "splashscript"]:1: unexpected symbol near 'char(2)'

Is anyone else have this problem?

JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
Um the only difference I see from your examples is the way the script terminates. So, I ask these questions and hopefully you'll find your problem...

1. What calling convention does lua require to call your own functions?
2. Is it the same as GDK's calling convention?

It's an area to look into, I think...

JTK
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 19:17 Edited at: 5th May 2010 19:28
Quote: "Um the only difference I see from your examples is the way the script terminates. So, I ask these questions and hopefully you'll find your problem...

1. What calling convention does lua require to call your own functions?
2. Is it the same as GDK's calling convention?

It's an area to look into, I think..."

An real-world examples of how functions are bound to Lua can be found in the darklua_bindings.cpp. As I can not duplicate it, I think your missing something on your side.

Did you try modifying the script on your side? If so what where your results. Try commenting out the splashscript code in the main.cpp and see if it will run.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2010 19:43
i have commented out all script files
it ran for about 3 seconds but then an error poped out

Unhandled exception at 0x010be040 in S3GE.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

just pushed the buttons above which do nothing ..

well , let me ask you something else
can you name the:
DarkGDK version / Directx SDK version / Oparating System

mine:
7.4a / Feb 2010 / windows 7 64 bit.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 20:50 Edited at: 5th May 2010 20:51
Quote: "i have commented out all script files"
I just wanted you to try commenting out the splashscript stuff in the main.cpp.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

mine:
DarkGDK version / Directx SDK version / Oparating System
7.4/ Nov 2008/XP

Did you ever get it run, before the last update?

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2010 22:50
the first time it was about fine but it worked
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2010 11:11 Edited at: 6th May 2010 11:18
maybe i should reinstall some features see how that goes
i can always reinstall and then reinstall again .
i will check it altough i dont think there will be any diffrence i cant say it for sure.

actually i dont really want to do it.
Tech how about you upgrade? i think we should be with the latest Directx?

other then that nothing i can really do
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2010 11:27 Edited at: 6th May 2010 11:28
Working without CRUSHING!
hip hip.

ok , i guess the problem was this:

all of the include files given with S3GE, was only in the SVN directory since i couldnot insert them in the original DarkGDK folder.

same with Libraries.
what i did was just Copied them all insde DGDK default dir.
i think the problem was , with DarkGDK.H file which was modified by S3GE and pherhaps crushed with the original ,, so i just replaced it.

so it worked for some time, but now i need to go , so i will put it and i'll try to run agai the lua script, when i'll come back i'll see if there is any error.

p.s
since Hassan is working on DirectX 10 wrapper , i think we should add a feature in the near future to use that 2 .

uncommented Script and it dosent work again
i will try to run it without it.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 14:55 Edited at: 6th May 2010 17:43
Quote: "
what i did was just Copied them all insde DGDK default dir.
i think the problem was , with DarkGDK.H file which was modified by S3GE and pherhaps crushed with the original ,, so i just replaced it."
DarkGDK.h was modified for DarkNet and there have been some other modifications. But since, we are using different version this may present a compatibility issue.

matty and I are going to overall the Project directory structure and consolidate all files associated with DOSP under a single directory. This is planned with the next major update. Its believed that this will eliminate most if not all the SVN issues with DGDK.

Quote: "since Hassan is working on DirectX 10 wrapper , i think we should add a feature in the near future to use that 2."

It is desired we complete the project started with DGDK and DX9 before jumping into DX10 or higher. DX10+ will require both hardware and software upgrades for myself and many others. In my honest opinion, just trying to rewrite a DX9 wrapper to match DGDK's feature set would be project in itself.

I'm certain the fact of not having the latest and greatest is why many have jumped ship on the project. But, I've pounced from one game creation system to another for the last decade. I've learned a few things along the way. One being that you can have all the cool graphic features you want, but, without Art Skill or Artists they're useless. I also learned that without a reputation for building Game Engines and Games with them, I'm useless to Artist.

So to put it blunt, it makes no sense to abandon DGDK when we haven't produced anything with it. I would only consider taking a plunge to upgrade, if a DX10 wrapper provided the equivalent or greater feature set as DGDK. Technically, such a move would render DGDK unnecessary and this would no longer be DGDK project Sounds self-defeating to me.

Speaking of the Project, we have yet to solidify what `Game` we are developing for demo purposes. I mentioned a FPS game, but, not what content will constitute said game. It would appear that everyone on the project is eager to get into making a game and that includes myself. The question has always been what kind of game?

In the beginning of the DOSP few had mentioned developing a RPG or RTS with S3GE. The issue of `what game` has always been a problem with collaborative development in such a community like TGC. Everyone has an idea of what THEY want in a game and its most likely not yours. That's why you don't see many team projects and even less that get completed.

To overcome this problem, I elected to develop a multi-genre game that would provide a little something for everyone here in it. I originally proposed the Super 3D Game World. Unfortunately, S3GW would be huge and better suited as a final destiny, not as an interim demo. Thus, I shrunk down the list of features and proposed a FPS Demo.

Why a FPS demo? Only because FPS Games seem to be a standard genre for Engine Demos (and I like FPS Games). But, there are a bazillion FPS demos on TGC and FPS Creator spits out one FPS Demo per minute. So our FPS Demo has to be unique and show off S3GE's performance (physics, networking, etc), system highlights, work-flow (getting content into it) and some Editor Applications.

I NEED GAME IDEAS!!!!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 15:42
I don't see any issues with adding custom DX9 features to S3GE, they can easily be integrated as a plug-in.

cloggys D3D functions plug-in

I have an idea for a FPS, it would need blitz terrain, networking and physics at minimum.
I wont go into too much detail now but I could draw up some plans for everyone, we would need 4-5 people minimum, everyone would have their own department for this game.
Its an idea I have been playing with for a while now and incorperates RTS elements.

Let me know what you think.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2010 16:42
Quote: "It is desired we complete the project started with DGDK and DX9 before jumping into DX10 or higher"

i think i am miss understood.
my idea of directX wraping:

Using Dgdk as it is.
DirectX9 - where DarkGDK lacks of Performance and Quality issues.
DirectX10 - for those who have higer end systems it will posses the ability to have additional features while not! forgeting all DirectX 9 or DarkGDK
DirectX11 - same as above.

Additional Features-
if its better GPU LOD like tessalation which DirectX 11 have
or SoftShadows. this not means we Wrap it entirly , but just use additional features making S3GE much better then Dgdk.

so its like:
Dgdk / DirectX 9 - Core
directX 10,11 - Additional features.

at the end after improving whats already there , we will have better performance.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 16:54 Edited at: 6th May 2010 17:07
yes it's easy to create dx9 plugins for GDK, BUT, problem is that i ( or we ) can't access objects and stuff from within the plugin, for example, we cant get the vertex/index buffers of an object ( ot it's mesh ), and thus, we cannot modify it, same applies to most of GDK stuff

EDIT: after looking at D3DFunc source, it seems that the user can access everything GDK uses, but the documentation doesn't say anything about it

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 17:12
Quote: "yes it's easy to create dx9 plugins for GDK, BUT, problem is that i ( or we ) can't access objects and stuff from within the plugin, for example, we cant get the vertex/index buffers of an object ( ot it's mesh ), and thus, we cannot modify it, same applies to most of GDK stuff"

I do this in my physics plugin:

You can then do whatever you like with the mesh, or have you come across limitations I am not aware of?

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 20:08 Edited at: 6th May 2010 20:10
Quote: "I don't see any issues with adding custom DX9 features to S3GE, they can easily be integrated as a plug-in."
I do not have an issue with additional plug-ins and I'm in favor of mod'ing the DGDK Source (in fact, we could learn much from it). But, I'm not so excited about writing a new DX wrapper.

Quote: "i think i am miss understood.
my idea of directX wraping:

Using Dgdk as it is.
DirectX9 - where DarkGDK lacks of Performance and Quality issues.
DirectX10 - for those who have higer end systems it will posses the ability to have additional features while not! forgeting all DirectX 9 or DarkGDK
DirectX11 - same as above."
I apologize. I did misunderstand you. I would have to upgrade hardware and software to run any DX10 or above and that expense is out of budget at the moment.

Quote: "I have an idea for a FPS, it would need blitz terrain, networking and physics at minimum.
I wont go into too much detail now but I could draw up some plans for everyone, we would need 4-5 people minimum, everyone would have their own department for this game.
Its an idea I have been playing with for a while now and incorperates RTS elements.

Let me know what you think."

Excellent. I was thinking along the lines of an FPS w/ RPG and RTS elements. I'm curious as what your idea is. My idea was a cross between a my own Tabletop Mecha RPG Combat Game (TechLordz) and BattleZone (Activision 1998). I had to come up with new name, METALOIDZ(working title).

Like in BattleZone, METALOIDZ pits 3 or more Teams of Mechs against each other in race to dominate a Cyber Battlefield by building bases and conquering the opposing team's bases. To achieve this, the Teams scavenge/mine for a material called "META" in which you craft more powerful armor, weapons, machines, and utilities.

I selected Mechs because the Art Style I had in mind would be in the realm of my possibilities. Basically using rounded geometric shapes for constructing everything - hehe. The RTS elements is in crafting, scavenger bots, sentries, power generators, etc. The RPG Elements are in leveling up to produce better Mech Armor and Weapons.

Anyway, that's what I keep visualizing in my head. I'm not sure what you have in mind for departments, but, I like working on the Weapon Systems in FPS games.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2010 20:48 Edited at: 6th May 2010 20:50
if were talking about mechs and rpg style
i'll go for a transformer type.

so you are a mech right? or a person inside the mech.
so the mech have some cool features like upgrading weapons upgrading armor upgrading Technology like Better Radar or even speed.
but how about

like a Super Upgrade which will let you transform into a 4 wheel Power Mech or even a Helicopter or a Plane
now thats an extreme unique it is like transformer but one that you can really play with and not an action figure.

with that you get another level of the RPG expriance
while now you have a Car Transform upgrade and now you actually have all new kind of weapons and armor features which take the advantage of the normal weapon and armor upgrades but change them a bit to be just right for the vehicle transform.

thats way cooler , think inside the battlefield you see 2 cars roaming towards you and shooting everywhere so you say .. ha thats just a car i can take it , suddenly one turns into extreme powerful mech and the other just jump in the sky turning into a bomber of some kind and bomb your ass to mech garbage land.

and here we have the teaser.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 21:33
There are alot of simularities between our ideas Tech, I too was thinking of three way battles, I just looked at BattleZone andthat is the kind of open world game I would like to make.

The one major difference between our ideas is the mechs, using mechs because of our lack of resources is just the way everyone should think when designing a game, but I don't find the mech idea appealing, I would prefer the usual FPS route.

Some of the darkmatter models are not too bad and they have a number of skins and we can easily change the textures to get our own look.

When you say 'weapons systems' what exactly would this involve for a regular FPS? Would you design and implement the weapons? If so, could you also be in charge of character
animation/movement/controls?

One thing I noticed about BattleZone is they used a terrain that played to their advantage in alot of ways, a baron land which does not need lots of detail and polys. I think we should do the same, I'm thinking either desert/snow/moon locations, we then have pockets of detail and interesting places/bases etc which are pleasing to the eye.

Anyway, I don't like the mech thing but I am part of a team and am willing to do my part regardless.

haliop - That all sounds very involved and very time consuming, I think we could do that if we had more artists/modellers, at the moment we are mostly programmers, good ideas though.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2010 22:03
yeah my idea of transformation does cost alot of time maybe it is not the best for a start game.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 00:11
Got a bit carried away and started experimenting with a look for a potential game. I am not saying this is the look, I am just showing you what I've been playing with.
The main thing I am after is getting decent looking terrain which wont need too many objects to make it look good. Then have little oasis's, camps, bases which (with some decent modelling) will look good.

The building is pretty bad as it has no detail at all, plus I never planned it, I just made it up as I went, which is never a good idea.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 06:06 Edited at: 7th May 2010 06:06
S3GE::MAUI Demo Vid

Featuring 3D Wizmo, Keyboard Widgets, Ghostly (Alpha Fade In/Out) Transition, A DarkNet HTTP (no file display included )

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 10:54
matty , that looks pretty cool best part it have a clean look.
but , i think we need to plan it in a way that the 3 of us will work on areas that can collide good together.

i dont want to be a part of a project where everyone just build and build and then just combine it together and it dosent look good at the end.

i think we should totaly plan and draw , its nice that you show this stuff you made , but i thik we should plan before we begin.

and not only artistic stuff,
we should plan the idea before begging
if its from how many levels , what kind of primary and secondary weapons , will there be close or open buildings or both, what will the gui show?

to do this good , i think we should consider finding an online meeting program where we can draw in real time or something we can even make one program , wow, that actually could be implented in S3GE so ppl like us can plan together right on the engine itself.

but plan plan and more plan.

without that , the example looks good.
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 12:16 Edited at: 7th May 2010 12:21
Well, since you are looking for a game idea. Why not make one a bit like dragon age. You begin like in third person and it works like a RPG game, you move with WASD and you click on a target and then it auto attacks. But if you zoom in you enter first person mode where you can acces you ranged weapons and stuff. And when you zoom out you enter third person mode again and if you keep zooming out you enter RTS mode where you can individual command all of you allies and your units that in the other 2 modes were being instructed by a complicated AI. That way you can show most of all the aspects of S3GE and show that it can create FPS's RPG's and RTS's. Just an idea but if you think that it wouldn't be to hard to code. I think it might work.

Isocadia

Edit: and about the directX 10/11 support. Right now I'm playing SC2 and what I like about that is that my videocard doesn't support some features ( shader model 3.0 and higher etc ) and instead of blocking me acces to the game ( like DAO ) they just made lower setting compatible with older video cards. So instead of saying we don't use DirectX 10 because we can't afford the upgrade of our video cards. Just make the people that have DirectX 10 make addons and when you create a game you just say at that option that you reguire directX 10/11 and if you don't have that, select a lower setting. I'm sorry if this was already the idea. But from what I understand you were against DirectX 10/11 addons because most people don't have the hardware to support that. If you did want to add DirectX 10/11 addons and extra's, then ignore this entire post.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 14:33
naa i think we agree that is should be a first person shooter where you need to be fast enough to get a decent kill rather then auto attack which i see as just a retarded idea for games..
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 15:00
Matty, I was hoping we could add a lil touch of artistic style to our demo. I'm personally trying to avoid using anything that resembles FPS Creator. In my opinion, to do so wouldn't be fair to ourselves or S3GE. But, on the other hand, its more work. I'm going to draw up some concept art and post it to give a better picture of what I visualize in my mind's eye. I'm not artist, so be prepared to laugh very hard.

I'm not ruling out the DM models and the game doesnt have to be about mechs. I'm just striving for something that doesnt look like FPS Creator and gives S3GE Demo its own signature. I'm sure we can mod textures to provide a different style.

Darkmatter was in my strategy for assembling the Mechs. For animation, I intended to strip the skeletons and keyframes from the darkmatter models, attaching mech/armor parts. I also had plans to play with some user controlled procedural animation, bvh motion capture animation data, and physics ragdolls/dismemberment. I have played with these in the past and this would be good opportunity to devise a animation strategy.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 15:47
what about a simple story line?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 15:50
Quote: "i think we should totaly plan and draw , its nice that you show this stuff you made , but i thik we should plan before we begin."

haliop - I like this kind of thinking, I agree, we need drawings so we have a look and style, then we need to know what tools we are using so we can all work together on the media.

Quote: "Matty, I was hoping we could add a lil touch of artistic style to our demo. I'm personally trying to avoid using anything that resembles FPS Creator"

Techlord - I don't have FPS Creator and I don't really go into their forums so I will take a look at the style you're trying to avoid. Great that you are doing drawings, look forward to that.

My first concern, when realising that the game may be open world, is that we get a good looking terrain which does not need lots of extra models and details to make it look good.
There are two main things that need addressing imo, before the open world idea gets the go-ahead.
Firstly, the terrain must have culling or LOD or both.
Secondly, we must be able to lightmap the terrain, preferably with a free tool that could then be added to S3GE tools.

If we can't do either of these two things then our game may be slow or ugly or both and I would then opt for something that is not open world.

Any ideas?

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 18:47 Edited at: 7th May 2010 18:59
Quote: "Well, since you are looking for a game idea. Why not make one a bit like dragon age. You begin like in third person and it works like a RPG game, you move with WASD and you click on a target and then it auto attacks. But if you zoom in you enter first person mode where you can acces you ranged weapons and stuff. And when you zoom out you enter third person mode again and if you keep zooming out you enter RTS mode where you can individual command all of you allies and your units that in the other 2 modes were being instructed by a complicated AI. That way you can show most of all the aspects of S3GE and show that it can create FPS's RPG's and RTS's. Just an idea but if you think that it wouldn't be to hard to code. I think it might work."

It's 3D. Honestly, we could implement several perspectives: 3rd Person, Top-Down, Isometric. Unlike other perspectives, FPS games usually require an additional camera/model rigging for detail and I would design the game with this as primary consideration. BATTLEZONE is a First Person RTS game, so the possibilities in First Person are endless, but, I dont have any issues with adding other perspectives as secondary.

Quote: "to do this good , i think we should consider finding an online meeting program where we can draw in real time or something we can even make one program , wow, that actually could be implented in S3GE so ppl like us can plan together right on the engine itself."

Version control, Collaborative World Building, other multi-user features, were all highly desired features for S3GE/S3GEd/S3GW (which is why getting networking in the engine core asap was a top priority). DarkNet is in there, and if we can all get SVN version to work for everyone, you will witness its power & freedom it gives S3GE.

Until we flush these features out or develop S3GEd applications, I will use MSN Messenger, it has a whiteboard. Coordinating a meeting time would be a challenge. Even if we are unable to meet, we can use YouTube for illustrations, voice recording, videos, etc to convey ideas, design, etc.

Quote: "Firstly, the terrain must have culling or LOD or both.
Secondly, we must be able to lightmap the terrain, preferably with a free tool that could then be added to S3GE tools."
I was under the impression we were using BlitzTerrain for terrain generation and AEM for texturing. May have to use 3rd tools for lightmapping until we devise a built in solution. In my honest opinion, Terrains are easier to implement than other more complex models and animation. You would not believe how hard it is to find a weapon animation tutorial online.

WIP: I'm adding Textbox Behavior to MAUI this weekend. This should bring MAUI to a operational state for building apps. Yay!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 19:36
Quote: "I was under the impression we were using BlitzTerrain for terrain generation and AEM for texturing. May have to use 3rd tools for lightmapping until we devise a built in solution. In my honest opinion, Terrains are easier to implement than other more complex models and animation. You would not believe how hard it is to find a weapon animation tutorial online."

O.K, we need to add BlitzTerrain to S3GE and then someone needs to give it a good testing, with collision. I should have done this already but I have not got around to it, kaedroho said he would provide special functions for setting up collision with Fulcrum, this suggests we may have problems with it until we get this function.

I have looked into lightmapping for S3GE using Fulcrum raycasting, its very involved and we would probably need someone working on it, maybe we should advertise
We may need a lightmapping solution before we start or our maps are going to look sub-par. I can lightmap terrain in 3DWS but there are issues, I will go into them if you want to persue that route.

Also AEM is very early in its development, that is a huge task in its-self.

With the amount of work involved, I think we should consider 3rd person to get the game up and running and then 1st person later, also, if there are no solutions to our open-world issues then I also think we should consider non-open world. There are a couple of free world builders with lightmapping(not terrain), mapscape is one, although it hung up on me a couple of times, there is another but I cant think of the name right now.

I think we should address these issues and do some tool testing to find a combination of tools we know will do the job for us.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 19:58
i have actually worked before with Call Of Duty 4 Radiant, and i built wonderful maps altough not as big as open world maps but good enough for multi-player, and if im correct we can use Radiant to export BSP and load it up in Dgdk, altough i dont know if i can make AEM work in it.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 20:38
Quote: "i have actually worked before with Call Of Duty 4 Radiant, and i built wonderful maps altough not as big as open world maps but good enough for multi-player, and if im correct we can use Radiant to export BSP and load it up in Dgdk, altough i dont know if i can make AEM work in it. "

I am not familiar with radient, I have not used BSP either, does anyone use this format for DarkGDK, does it work?

We need to figure all this out so S3GE has a solution to any of these issues, if there is no solution then we can make our own solution.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 21:29
yeah DarkGDK can read BSP as a World Entity, check out the samples.

by the way , i have a very simple idea for a FPS which will take very little time to create if you think about the art style.

and its kind of cute and may apply for a large community.

the idea is , everything is box.. just everything. here is what i mean:

MrBox
front - cool looking hat i say!

back - he has a little green bag with an antena

and .. well every box has a puppy
Box Pup

ok , so this idea is not the most high detailed one with super 3D polygons , its simple its cute and it has an antena so its all good right ?

now think of an entire world that everything is boxed or box like there for we are gaining speed cause no major fps drops since no complex meshes.

i think its a cool idea. seeing boxes running and shooting and falling down a mountain with bump collision its super funny.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 21:48
i don't know, i might make something like that, techlord, havn't modeled anything in a while now, but i'll see what i can do

by the way, rigging is done with programming, or i have to rig it?

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 22:01 Edited at: 7th May 2010 22:03
Quote: "by the way, rigging is done with programming, or i have to rig it?"
I had planned to use DarkMatter model skeleton and keyframes along with manual procedural and physics animation. I have yet to play with any of this, but, I would assume parts would connect easier if connection joints were pre positioned in a 3rd party tool. This may require some testing.

For the art style I visualize mesh welding at the joint seams is not required. Parts are held together by a META 'energy force' glue - hehe.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 22:03
thats an awesome mech!
altough when you said mechs i thought more like
Mech - Warrior
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 22:16
Quote: "thats an awesome mech!
altough when you said mechs i thought more like
Mech - Warrior "
Thanks. My mecha concepts are Japanese Anime/Manga inspired by Guyver, Gundam, RoboTech, and many others.

I figured I could throw some geometric shapes in blender and pull the vertices in various directions to create odd parts. Using the Symmetric/Mirror technique to create center parts {head/neck,chest plate, abs} and right/left assemblies {arms, legs, wings} (Spore Creature Creature uses a similar method). From within the engine smooth, texture, shade, attach 3D parts and apply animation keyframes. DGDK has plenty of built in 3D object functions to simplify the process.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 22:19
I love the box-world idea, and I love the humanoid mechs, I was thinking you meant big mechanical robots.
I think we should consider both directions, haliops look is certainly original, could be funny and would be fast, meaning our code would not have to be as optimized.
Though people would take the engine more seriously with the mecs.
We stil have the option for my humans also.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 23:00
Quote: "For the art style I visualize mesh welding at the joint seams is not required. Parts are held together by a META 'energy force' glue - hehe."

alright, that makes it alot easier =)

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 11:42 Edited at: 8th May 2010 11:43
Sorry for double posting, got some news

all parts are far apart from each others, as requested
still need some improvements tho.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 12:13
Quote: "yeah DarkGDK can read BSP as a World Entity, check out the samples. by the way , i have a very simple idea for a FPS which will take very little time to create if you think about the art style. and its kind of cute and may apply for a large community. the idea is , everything is box.. just everything."

Something Like ROBLOX and BlockLand? I can visualize a game of that sort, but, a FPS is a bit foggy to see.

Quote: "I love the box-world idea, and I love the humanoid mechs, I was thinking you meant big mechanical robots.
I think we should consider both directions, haliops look is certainly original, could be funny and would be fast, meaning our code would not have to be as optimized.
Though people would take the engine more seriously with the mecs.
We stil have the option for my humans also."

I can easily see attaching Mecha-like Armor Plating/Shielding to Human models and using them in-game. In fact, thats part of prototype testing. Blocks are involved too, such as procedurally fashioning a Mech together using DGDK primitives. I have a funny feeling all of these will be in the game in some form of fashion (easter eggs, secret characters?).

I'm really excited about getting to work on the game, but, there are several core sub systems missing from S3GE to produce a decent demo. S3GE is missing a solution for: pathfinding, BlitzTerrain, Particles, Shaders. I have ideas for implemented these systems, but, I also have ginormous amount on my plate at this time. I have to put Scenergy Importer on hold until we figure out some this stuff.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2010 12:28
hasan that looks incredible
and you sat on it less then a day?!
damn man thats some good skills.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 13:15 Edited at: 8th May 2010 13:23
no actually, i was asleep the whole time, it took 2-3 hours, 1300 polys
well im stopping for a while now, i have alot of reading to do, need to get volume shadow mapping working today on my engine

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 13:34
There is a particular Mecha style I like, and in this style I noticed the porportions of body parts to be freakishly exaggerated:
Small:Heads|Abs/Waist
Short:Thighs
Large:Chest|Shoulders|Wings
Long:ForeArms/Calves

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 08:12:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 08:12:39