Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK Open Source Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 14:06 Edited at: 8th May 2010 14:13
Hassan - Thats super cool, we need that in our game, how do we get it animated? I know there is a tool you can buy from TGC that will animate it for us with all the standard animations.
Character shop
Techlord - you talk about keyframes etc I must admit I don't know anything about this, is it possible to take the animations from the Dark Matter models and use them on other models? If so, is that legal?
There may be some sort of protection on the animations, so they can only be used with that particular model.

Quote: "S3GE is missing a solution for: pathfinding, BlitzTerrain, Particles, Shaders. I have ideas for implemented these systems, but, I also have ginormous amount on my plate at this time."

Is marlou still working on pathfinding?

I have just posted on the blitz terrain thread as I think it needs fixing before we can go any further with it. Also, it supports environment mapping, haliop, you may want to look at this.
Also, when you say shaders, are you thinking about real-time shadows? This is also something we may need to make our game look professional.

Is our game online or ai or both, I would suggest we pick one then implement the other later, I would vote online.

Techlord - You are doing alot, I will look into getting blitz terrain up and running with collision, environment mapping and lighting. Just so you guys know, I too have lots of distractions, the main ones being exams in June, I will plod along until then and then I may be able to do more for dosp.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 15:01
@matty: I can animate it, but i thought you wanted it animated from within the program, without build in animation keys

@tech: i'll fix them once i start working on him

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2010 15:28 Edited at: 8th May 2010 15:29
what we can do is buy one model fully animated and use only its Animation or Bone Setuf.
i have several bone setuf to my disposal but they will need to be animate , i know how to do it in blender but i have never done it , i know how to but never sat on it to master it.

hasan if you send me the model i can animate it also, so we can have 2 diffrent styles of animations at the end.

and character shop is pretty cool we can use it instead as it done most of the work for you.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 15:40
Quote: "hasan if you send me the model i can animate it also, so we can have 2 diffrent styles of animations at the end."

I don't think two people animating the same model is a good use of time and resources, if Hassan wants to animate it then that would be great, if not, then he may let you(haliop) animate it which would also be great. I've never done it but animating a model seems like a huge amount of work so character shop may be the way to go, I would be willing to buy it.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 16:14
the model is not even finished yet, no worries about the animations yet, it's still not even UV mapped

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2010 16:31
thats true matty , its not a good idea for 2 ppl. true.

and about character shop , thats very kind of you matty, but i think you are the only one who will be able to use it and thats cool also cause it will spare us some time , but i dont think TGC will agree to let us all use it , so we need to be clear about it , if you will buy it you will be incharge of animation beside animation inside S3GE.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 17:05 Edited at: 8th May 2010 17:06
Ok so here's the final render, please if there is anything wrong let me know now, before i start UV mapping it, and i cant add/remove geometry after that

@techlord: the parts look kind of right to me, i mean come on, it a robot =p

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2010 18:18
only 1300 poly , that looks awesome and it seems right can u post the model? i'll have a look in blender
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 19:06
sure, attached

Attachments

Login to view attachments
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2010 19:24
NICE! CHECKING IT NOW.

about animations what about Evolutonary Setup for animations?
what are your thoughts about it?

the idea behind it , is to let the CPU choose itself how to walk and how to run according to trail and error made by the cpu using Bones created for the 3D Object, its a bit hard well actually extremly hard , but its well worth it , since it will find the best way for it to walk , run , jump, fall and get back up and stuff , maybe its not the best for a Start Project, but with a system like this , what ever model wether it have 1 or 1000 legs it will run a simulation 100000000000000 times and if the math is right , after about 10,000 times it will walk so smooth it will even get over obstacles and such, then if someone will want to make a game with a human char , he will already have the Evo Bones working altough he will probably need to run it one or two night to get it to smooth according to the new model , if one wants 18 legged something he will have to run it for a few nights about a week or even 2 or more , at the end he will get a superb animation for walking , running , crouching , jumping , obstacles.. and all kind of whatever math we put in and with Lua you will be able to change the scripts. Evo Walk yeah its not for now maybe later in the project.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 21:59 Edited at: 8th May 2010 22:34
Quote: "@techlord: the parts look kind of right to me, i mean come on, it a robot =p"
MechWarr is excellent. I was referring to the style I tried to capture in my 2D illustrations (1 , 2 , 3). Kinda like this (Zone of the Enders), but, more masculine.

As soon as I get input behaviors in MAUI, I'm going to give a go at a 3D version with interchangeable parts and some weapons.

Haliop Evolutionary Setup is also referred to as Procedural Animation and its a complex subject. I've been talking about this form of animation for some time and have been looking for a free lib that produces it. It has not been easy.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2010 22:20 Edited at: 8th May 2010 22:25
yeah , i found Evolution Creature simulation on youtube , i conntected the author and he sent me a Download Link for it , i ran it for about a month , and it was WOW its unbelivable.
now when i have spoke with the Author , he said he is using the theory of evolution , where the math is on Wikipedia .
i know its hard , but can be achieved.

here is the link so everyone can get the feel of what were talking about:
http://www.stellaralchemy.com/lee/latest.zip

and the site:

http://www.stellaralchemy.com/lee/virtual_creatures.php

some may not find it very intersting , but its fun i dont know why sitting infront of the pc watching some cubes try to move is fun , but its just is
btw, you need to keep your pc open for some nights for it to gain Evolutonary expriance .
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 22:47 Edited at: 8th May 2010 22:53
Haliop,

I checked out Stellar Alchemy. I didn't quite understand it, however, I could visualize that form of animation being very useful for bizarre creatures/monsters assimilated from various body parts/organs/machine parts in a horror action shooter - hehe.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th May 2010 10:11
ohh man let me try to explain what i get from that:

to have the cpu Calculate the best -> Goal / Task / Mission / Objective

lets say you have a ladder, you also have a human type of Evo Creature meaning a body (center of gravity) 2 legs , 2 hands and 1 head where 2 "eyes" are included.

after having the Evo math working , you take that body and you simply ask from the cpu , "take that body and get as higher as possible using the limbs you have which are head , body , hands , legs. good , now do it one gazzilion times.

and thats it.

lets take another example:
you have the same human figure , you have a gun.
first thing first, ask the cpu " hold the gun using Hands Limbs as long as possible while walking" , this for finding the best hand position for the gun.
then ask "hold the gun using Hands Limbs as long as possible while running as fast as you can"
then ask "hold the gun &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& as fast as you can for the longest distance"

these are pretty simple , if you start at XYZ with a velocity of 0.0001 cause you are not a statue...move from this point to the most distant point in one direction while "gun" is at Hand Limbs.

now yeah , the stellar alchemy is not suitable for our current idea , but we can change it thats not a biggy, just need to get the Evolution Theory right by the Math behind it press Debug and run... 10000000000 times to get a good animation, for us this can be pretty good , as we can put one computer who would always run this and just extract the animation from it using Maui Http, so actually each time in one of our future games , the players will dowload a quick animation update and they will notice from time to time , "hi .. i didnt see that before.. wow" and all made by cpu.

still it is very high tech idea and should probably if we choose to do it , we should wait with this its not essential to core.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 10:17
What if all our characters run around like chimps?

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th May 2010 10:32
first its fun to run like a chimp.
second , we just keep the cpu running until getting something like human or better then a normal human.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 11:32
I have been looking into dynamic lighting and shadows using shaders and I have had some success, I can't get it to work with terrain though, couple this with the fact that even static lighting for terrain may need a custom tool I am starting to think we are not ready for an open world game.

Obviously, we could make it open world and not worry about lighting but I would really like to see what DarkGDK/S3GE can do and try to make a really nice looking game.
I'll keep looking into it, but what do you guys think?
Scale the game down slightly and have a better looking game in less time then create some kind of terrain tool later.

We can still have outdoor areas but not vast terrain landscapes, or has anyone else get a solution?

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 12:37
i think i can write a shader for lighting for the terrain ( or pretty much, for any object, which looks extremely cool, i have made one for my DX10 engine, not sure if i can modify it to work with dx9, as i didnt study shaders for dx9, but well, i dont think there's huge difference.

@ techlord : this is too much for me, i can't made such thing

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th May 2010 12:44
for this demo , we should consider doing simple 3D objects and surfaces for the sake of a good playable game and not going all the way on Art, we just need something good enough so ppl will enjoy while not reducing the effect of "i want this game!"
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 15:07
okay finished unwrapping the UV map, now painting.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 17:51 Edited at: 9th May 2010 17:54
Once again, sorry for double posting; got some progress, sorry for the bad:
1-render
2-texture
3-model

download attached

So do you want it animated?

Attachments

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 21:48
Thats great Hassan, I'm not sure what we are doing about animation. We would probably need alot of animations, I imagine it would be a huge task, although I presume once its done it can be used on all the game models?

I suppose its up to you, it would be great to have it animated so its whether you have the time.

Also, I have got evolved depth shadow shader working on terrain but I'm not sure how to scale it up so you could have one light source(sun) over a huge landscape, maybe thats not how its done, I'm a complete shader noob, if you have any advice Hassan I would very grateful.
I may try out the soft shadows one next, see if I have any more luck.
I know you said you could make one Hassan and it would be great if you could, from what I am learning about shaders though we would probably need an image manipulation tool(CHIMP?) so we could create terrains with ease, is that about right?

I still have doubts that DarkGDK will be fast enough with dynamic shadows, huge landscapes, networking, collision and game logic. I see this game as being a perfect opertunity to see whats possible and what may need to be optimized.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th May 2010 09:41 Edited at: 10th May 2010 09:43
thats why we need a light volume.
Light Volume -

if you walk inside its region you will get high detail shaders
if you walk outside of it , the shaders for that part inside the Light Volume , become fake also knows as fake shadow.

---above is for dynamic shadows to work smooth --

this idea is taken from the Player Point of View and not the entire map, it allows the saders to work at the places the player is in and not on the entire map i still have no clue what so ever how to implent it but its (i think) our only hope with darkGDK.
Quote: "
I still have doubts that DarkGDK will be fast enough with dynamic shadows, huge landscapes, networking, collision and game logic. I see this game as being a perfect opertunity to see whats possible and what may need to be optimized.
"
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2010 14:44
I have started wrapping that shader so its easy to setup and use, I will post it when I finish so you can see what issues I'm having.

I think you are right haliop, we need static lighting on all static objects, but we do need dynamic lighting on our players no matter where they are on the map, getting either of these is a challenge, getting both is going to take alot of testing, trial and error and perhaps help off the shader people(GG, Evolved, dark coder, maybe Hassan).

I get a good looking shadow, but the light source has to be just above your head, that alone may not turn out to be a problem as I imagine you can just keep re-positioning the light to make it seem like its coming from the sun, but what about when there are two dynamically lit objects(characters) on screen at once, would each one need its own light source?

Like I said above, I'm a complete shader noob so I am probably mis-understanding some basic principles, I'll keep going though and post my progress.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2010 15:30 Edited at: 10th May 2010 15:32
okay, i started animating it, i might finish in less than an hour, but dont except perfect animations, im not really good with moving cycle and stuff, so he'd look retarded

so what i'm including:
1- standby
2- run
3- jump
4- attack

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2010 15:45
Quote: "i might finish in less than an hour"

Really, thats great, I'll use him in a little dynamic shadow demo and post a vid or something.

JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
Hassan: that looks great. do you feel like throwing a Captain Ooze together for me? Right now I have a textured cube serving as a stand in... Lol.

JTK
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2010 16:29
what is captain ooze

Well this model already took alot of my time

So..i finished the animations, and now..poof...max exporter is not exporting my animation correctly, everything is messed up..the animations are exported totally wrong, i'm going to ask on the 3d board and see what i can do

JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
Captain Ooze is the star character in my game for the DarkGDK competition thread (a few threads down - I can't link to it right now because I can't see the URL).

Anyway, I understand if you're busy. I just thought I'd ask...

JTK
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 09:30
Bad News. i've been jinx'd. My Dev PC is down. Its looking like I'm going to be forced to buy a new one

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2010 10:28
ohh man , thats really bad news. i hope you find a way to manage a new workspace soon.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 13:42
Quote: "ohh man , thats really bad news. i hope you find a way to manage a new workspace soon. "
I'm going to try to salvage my old dev box tomorrow as I really dont desire reinstalling all my apps. If I cannot get it to run without crashing, i'm buying a new one this weekend.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 14:36
Good luck Techlord, hope you get it sorted soon.

What do you guys think about another thread for our FPS project, we may get a bit interest/help off people who may not come in here, but I think the main advantage is that the first few posts could be reserved and updated so we can have a clear view of what decisions have been made, pics of art style, media, what people are working on etc.

If you like that idea, we would need to decide whether to post on the WIP board or in here, one advantage of using the WIP board may be able to get a bit of help on art/media creation. Although you always get that one person who says "I dont think you're ready for a WIP thread yet" .

I could do with some guidance on the lighting, its a little strange that we have never really discussed S3GE lighting options.
I suppose I just need to know what you guys think is needed, do we want static shadows? Do we want dynamic lights? Do we want dynamic shadows? Is anyone else looking at these options?

Let me know, thanks.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2010 17:58
no not yet matty. lets get the mechanic work first, then ask for additional media , if we can get 1 v 1 to work online with hassans mech model and some buildings collision ,physics and maui , then we can get ppl to help us with the art and media and even with a trailer and a beta test , but for now i dont see the point , lets keep it to core members and contibuters for now .

i think of it , as if we put it as a WIP with nothing to really show then its not such a good idea , we dont even have the "who vs who" like what armies or good guys bad guys .. we actually have nothing.

we dont have the ideas for the RTS features which i perssonaly think that a Savage like game is incredibly awesome as i played it for some good long time.

lets just wait see what we can think off idea wise , then go for a WIP post.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 18:39
Quote: "we actually have nothing"

Well, we almost have our own physics system in place as well as the GUI and scripting(I think).
I know exactly what you are saying though, people like screen-shots and the names of the opposing factions . My main point was that we need a place to go where we can easily see who is working on what, what needs doing, whats been done, concept art etc.
It does not need to be a WIP but just its own thread somewhere where everything we need to know is in the top post.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 19:18
I'm testing my dev box. I've removed all cards except my wireless NIC. Audio/Video sucks, but, it hasn't crashed yet. The funny thing is, I think its the NIC causing it

About additional threads, this thread is technically a WIP thread and serves as a one stop shop for the project. Yes, we could use more help, but, there are no guarantees another thread will bring that. Also, I don't want the Moderators on our case for spamming.I advertise with a link to the project in my sig.

New contributors will come. They will see the size of this thread, the longevity of the current contributors, and output of our efforts. Until they do, we will have to keep doing what we are doing, at the pace we are doing it. There is no need to rush.

In my very very humble opinion, we have enough contributors to pull it off. Some will have to dive in subjects that they are not familiar with. I've coded practically every sub-system in a game engine except modeling and animation. I'm excited about digging into these subjects.

The bottom line for me is: I'm prepared to take on the development of all the systems if I have too. I hope I don't. But, we have simply come to far to quit now and I'm not starting over.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2010 22:29
no one is quiting .. or.. i dont understand nvm..

ok it is settled, no need for newer post until we have something to show whether its a picture of the main menu or just a sprite humping another sprite lol...... i cant stop lauginhl. ahh

currently im still working on the aem and it seems that i cannot do what i wanted, therefor , im making adjusments.

for now my aim is to get 2 things :
1. high textures
currently what you see on the AEM thread , the texture is 1024x1024 on the entire terrain , that will never look as close to a high texture, so ,im working on a SeamLess plugin, then what i can do is to have like 2 or 3 textures of the same grass just with a bit of random diffrence , each tex is 1024x1024, then when i implent them on the terrain or the RGB-Green , i will rotate them and whatever , so the stamps and brushes remain but on higher levels of detail then using the stamped texture as a new stamp to texture the terrain meaning 1024x1024 of nature randomness is now a brush or a stamp to use on large surfaces keeping the high detail and everything.
2. auto model placment, i have an idea how to do it but i want to finish the first subject first to its highest .
the auto model placment will work like the stamps just with models, like grass and rocks and just rubbish to make it look like a real enviorment.
now , i have thought about procedual algorithems , but i honestly dont like them cause it just repeats all the time im more for the extreme random.

new ideas i have came out with today:
if i have something like AEM which i only need to color regions right?
so i can hve the same map once with a jungle theme and second with a desert theme, does this sound awesome or what!!!!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2010 22:39
i have just got a return feedback about the seamless using a matrix and matrix manipulation then saving the view from the camera will make it work! hip hip , im super excited cause i do realise what an awesomness Aem can bring us! think when its done or about done , you have a full level whatsoever type of level and objects and everything and it will just paint it all after you the "programmer" or "User" using S3GE interface , declara what is this color and what is that color , then pressing AEM -Start, after a few minutes you just have like the best algorithem for Art in the 3D game department!
can i get a hip hip?!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 23:22
Is AEM going to integrate with Blitz-Terrain?
Also, I'm still waiting for feedback off you guys on what we should do about lighting, I'm currently doing a few shader tutorials, they make your game look amazing but they can eat into your frame rate, I suppose I'm looking for the right balance between shadows and speed.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2010 23:34
AEM eventually will integrate with everything that is a 3d object / terrain / matrix , so yeah Blitz is always on my mind i never forget it, i cant get it to work on my pc but i know that eventually i will use it .
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 23:51
Hey guys, Great work you're all doing here!

Quote: "I'm still waiting for feedback off you guys on what we should do about lighting"

I once tried to implement dynamic shadows using Shadow Mapping shaders.
Maybe you will find these thread useful:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=156086&b=22
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=158961&b=22

Just wanted to give a little input

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2010 00:17
ty pauli , always a plesure.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 00:53
Wow pauli, thats good stuff. I just wrapped mista wilsons version of the depth shadow a few days ago, I find I can't scale it up to work over large areas with good quality shadows, did you have this problem?

Also, I too would like to have a directional light, apparently it should be quicker too as someone said in one of your threads, did you have any luck with that?

One last question, would you say those shaders could be used in a FPS game and still leave enough CPU left for collision, networking, sound and game logic, presumimg you have a high-spec PC?

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 01:07
Quote: "I can't scale it up to work over large areas with good quality shadows"

Yes, that seems to be an obvious problem with Shadow Mapping (remember - just one way to achieve dynamic shadows).
I think I will do some work on my own shader, maybe I can modify it to get directional lights (like the sun).

Quote: "apparently it should be quicker too"

True, because directional light basically works like one light vector ('beam') that is all over the scene, so there is less calculating going on. Unfortunatly I haven't finished that yet.

Quote: "would you say those shaders could be used in a FPS game and still leave enough CPU left for collision, networking, sound and game logic, presumimg you have a high-spec PC?"

I'd say yes. My selfmade shader is a very basic Shadow Mapping shader with no additional optimizations what so ever. So it runs pretty fast. And the good thing about Shadow Mapping is that it basically doesn't matter how many polygons 'cast' the shadow (well, the light-camera 'casts' the shadow on whatever is in view).
But as I said, my shader is still very ugly compared to Evolveds.
My intention was to get as much performance as possible first,
so it should leave enough CPU power to do physics and other stuff.

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 01:30
Quote: "Just wanted to give a little input"
Sincere Thanks for your input _Pauli_

Quote: "Also, I'm still waiting for feedback off you guys on what we should do about lighting, I'm currently doing a few shader tutorials, they make your game look amazing but they can eat into your frame rate, I suppose I'm looking for the right balance between shadows and speed."
Can we use Pauli's shadowmapping technique? I'm using the onboard vid card and cannot properly test Pauli's ShadowMapping demo In fact, all gfx are running sluggish.

We may have to resort to some old school techniques such as texture baking and spot shadow decal under entities. Or get clever with particles (You can do a lot with particles - hehe). But to answer you question matty, my current rule of thumb is game mechanics over eye-candy. It would be great to have dynamic light/shadow, but, if we can live without them or find a cheap solution, I'm all for it.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2010 02:20
Quote: "But to answer you question matty, my current rule of thumb is game mechanics over eye-candy. It would be great to have dynamic light/shadow, but, if we can live without them or find a cheap solution, I'm all for it.
"

same here! game mechanic are most important i always try to explain it to ppl , but most ppl just like how it looks and not how it feels.
Faker1089
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 03:45
Well, I've been kinda watching how this project has been going, but when I went to boot camp I was afraid of coming back to something and not knowing where it was going and in a sense that's the case now. If there is anything that needs to be done with any of the plugins that are finished that I've done (minus the networking stuff) then let me know. I'll try to help out where I can but it might take some time for me to get something up.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 15:35
@Pauli - Thanks for all the info, I will try your version of that shader later, I'm pretty sure the version I have is too slow, although it is pretty.

Quote: " But to answer you question matty, my current rule of thumb is game mechanics over eye-candy"

Of course, don't get me wrong, game mechanics are more important.
I am looking into lighting simply because no-one else has mentioned it. I would say its quite important for us to manage resources for any game we make, I would say we need to know how many players we can have on-screen or on the server, how many polys or LOD levels they should have, how much CPU we have for AI or dynamic physics/lighting etc.

Techlord, you mention texture-baking and spot-shadows, how do we implement these? We could do with a range of lighting solutions, not just for the game but for S3GE.

@Faker - Good to have you back, we need all the help we can get, we have decided to put a FPS project together to test S3GE, I'm sure there's a job for you.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2010 18:51
there is the simpliest shadow tech in the book.

wether its a terrain or an object, one thecnic is to put another one of the same kind on top of that with an alpha transperent channel and actually paint the areas or disable the alpha on these areas which are shadowed, this gives an authentic look, i think this is texture - baking but im not sure, so how does it work?

terrain example:
you have the terrain finished with textures and everything , then you position the "light source" somwhere on the XYZ of the 3D World Space, then you calculate the light source ray from 0,0,0, to the end of the terrain , and when the light ray hits something it checks to see "what is after that?" if the after that is still terrain just with a low altitude or an object lower from the ray block spot , then a new "Plain" for objects but can actually be a new Terrain for terrains or even a matrix , this object will be the "After that" using the alpha we disable that alpha with a simple 1x1 texture of black or just a color actually , but we dont disable alpha completly just by precentage , then at the end you get a fake shadow which is simply a true shadow for the light source but not for the Dynamic Lighting ingame.

it may sound hard / simple , its a good solution and if we will use Blitz with a decent shader it should be no problem.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2010 22:07 Edited at: 12th May 2010 22:11
AEM little bit of progress there.
paint directly on a 3D object by Van B.

so now , that i can paint any clean RGB color i can transform it later on to a radom selected texture to attached to that color.
im thinking about 3 kind of textures on each color, meaning a simple grass can come in 3 forms i just hope that it will do the seamless ok , if not there is no way im using super high texutres cause then we will have a major fps drop considering we need
a few alpha blend textures for each terrain or segments and atleast one more for the normal map, if we want a specular we would need another.. at the end AEM wasnt as i planed , as it will still be extremly awesome using random created textures from stamps and even can randomize it again and again each time you enter the level so that could be awesome.

ok im taking a break for now , will continue later on.
matty whats up with Fulcrum ?
Tech whats going on with the computer ?
Hassan whats going on with the Mech animation?

p.s (edit)
here is the seamless code Van B gave me yesterday

and image files attached.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 23:49:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 23:49:20