Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK Open Source Project

Author
User Banned
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 14:42
so its like if i build a simple text reader/writer

first line Object
second line ID
with somekind of a signature to end line
etc..

so why use XML ?
what its advantages over a normal txt read and write?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 20:32
I think its the easy way in which it can be generated and then parsed, although I'm not sure how that is done, I presume you can get software to aid you create the tags and family hierarchies, is that correct Techlord.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 22:51 Edited at: 24th Apr 2010 22:56
Quote: "what its advantages over a normal txt read and write?"

1. Its readable (and understandable, even by novices) and no more difficult to code than HTML.

2. Any application that can process XML (on any platform) can use your information.

3. Extendable. Create your own tags (or use tags created by others) that use the native language of your application, have the attributes you need, and make sense to other contributors.

4. Its standardized, popular, supported, and plenty of free Parsing Libs and utilities for it. S3GE uses IrrXML. I've already written an importer for MAUI and will spawn others like Scenergy S3GW XML Scene Importer from its source code.

Its a open source engine and using open standards and popular supported data formats broadens accessibility. Game Devs who desire to use S3GE to develop a proprietary engine with specialize data formats are free to do so.

Quote: "I presume you can get software to aid you create the tags and family hierarchies, is that correct Techlord."
You can easily do that XML Parsing Lib when writing your XML importer. One can use recursive function calls or LIFO stacks.

marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Syntax
void dbPickScreen ( int iX, int iY, float fDistance ) "

Also, what are you using for collision, and raycasting?"

Thanks.
I used Sparky's library for collision and raycasting.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 11:12
Quote: "I used Sparky's library for collision and raycasting."

Will it be possible to try it with Fulcrum?
When added to S3GE it would mean setting up everything twice for collision, using more memory than necessary if we used both systems.

marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 11:57 Edited at: 25th Apr 2010 11:59
Quote: "Will it be possible to try it with Fulcrum?
When added to S3GE it would mean setting up everything twice for collision, using more memory than necessary if we used both systems."

Yes..I'll set it up to work with fulcrum. I wont be using Sparky's. I just used Sparky's raycast to get a starting point and end point for the pathfinding.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 12:02
Cool, its getting pretty exciting over here at mattyhalewood studios lol, the next update will be full of awesomeness.
I've got an assignment due in on Tuesday though so it will probably be another week or so before I update.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 11:28 Edited at: 26th Apr 2010 11:50
Quote: "Cool, its getting pretty exciting over here at mattyhalewood studios lol, the next update will be full of awesomeness.
I've got an assignment due in on Tuesday though so it will probably be another week or so before I update."
Speaking of updates, i've made an intermediate commit to the SVN. Its not the official update, but, made to preserve all my recent work due to my computer's ill mannered behavior (crashing). There have been significant changes so its recommended that all contributors update and perform a compile/exe test.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 16:40
i havent updated my SVN folder , can you name the updates
since i dont really have too much time just between brakes and the last thing i want to see is just more code

and matty hows its going with Physics/ Car game?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2010 13:28 Edited at: 28th Apr 2010 06:53
Quote: "i havent updated my SVN folder , can you name the updates
since i dont really have too much time just between brakes and the last thing i want to see is just more code"
Performing a SVN Update is easy and highly reommended. You can view the SVN Repository for recent file revision 74.

NOTES TO SELF

Its time to turn up the development of S3GE and get to the nity grity of 3D graphics & interactivity. This is what folks have been waiting for. Now, I'm asking for input on the Scenergy Format. Scenergy will encompass all the information needed to construct game worlds. Scenergy will be very flexible and suitable for simple puzzles as well as complex RPG adventures.

My current frame of thought is hovering around 3D Game Entities. I'm pondering over a Game Entity system that takes in consideration varied levels of Physics, AI/Pathfinding, Animation, Network Replication/Update, Rendering Optimizations.

For months I've been hyping Modular Entity Construction Sets and Channelized Image Mapping Processing(CHIMP). For those not familar with MECS/CHIMP, MECS is a 3D parts/connector system for constucting characters, vehicles, etc. CHIMP is texture mapping system that separates textures into channels allowing modification of each channel independently. Its my belief that these systems will give S3GE a powerful content creation and customization systems to significantly ease game development.

It's my desire that S3GE 3D Game Entities use MECS & CHIMP. MECS & CHIMP will require editors to bring the conceptS to reality. The workflow would require 3D parts and textures to be developed in a 3rd Party Editors and then imported and assembled within the S3GEd and exported in variety of formats. To facilitate Content Creation with MECS, an online library of parts and textures will be established.

To flush out my ideas on MECS, I've been researching into the Spore Creature Creator. The Spore Creature Creator is having some influence on the way I want to develop MECS although most of my original design ideas are in place. Spore has an editor for creatures, vehicles and building Entity Classes. MECS will allow the creation of any type of Entity Class. We'll start with Entity Classes that can be commonly found in todays games:

* TerraForms (Terrain + Flora + Sky/Starfield + Celetstrial Body + Fluidbody + Cloud)
* Building & Structure
* Trees & Plants
* Character Head & Body
* Firearm
* Projectile
* Melee Weapon
* Props & Furniture
* Vehicle & Crafts
* Machines
* Items (Single Block with Connectors)

3D Game Entities consist of 3 components: 3D Objects, Collision Objects, and Game Properties.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2010 18:41
One aspect of S3GE's creation I tried to push at the start was developing in stages, I see MECS and CHIMP as prime candidates for 'stage 2' in the development of S3GE. You could probably see both of them as tools to aid media creation, not really integral parts of the engine.

I fear that working on these now is going to delay the process of getting the basic engine up and running, that said, you have been working so hard and achieved so much that its not really for me to say what you should or shouldn't work on .

I would like to think that we are not too far away from maybe making a small test game that incorperates physics/ai/gui and perhaps networking and scripting, I think this should be our goal before we start developing other aspects of the engine/tools.

Last time I tried to run S3GE it was not in a very good state, have all the bugs been fixed?

Anyway, sorry for seeming negative, I am actually feeling really positive and excited about this project and I don't think there are many people who could have put all this together, kudos to you Techlord.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 27th Apr 2010 21:07
i agree with matty.
fixing the bugs now is a good idea
as for if you add more and more plugins or functions , then bug fixing will be harder later on.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 09:16 Edited at: 28th Apr 2010 09:20
Quote: "Last time I tried to run S3GE it was not in a very good state, have all the bugs been fixed?"

Quote: "i agree with matty.
fixing the bugs now is a good idea
as for if you add more and more plugins or functions , then bug fixing will be harder later on. "

So far, S3GE.exe (Rev 74) is not crashing on my workstation and I actively hunt down and exterminate new bugs that pop up with added features and libs. Have you all updated your SVN rev 74? Although all may appear well on my machine, bugs pop up on others, thus, I need contributors to update and run to help me identify the bugs quick as possible.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 10:15
well i cant even debug it
but im sorry i do not have too much time to do that right now.

anyway , on my project that im working on now
im using Sparky for collision and Ray casting (sorry matty but for now i just need simple things and i'm not sure that the pc i will show it on has a physix support...)

from s3ge im using the xBox360 controller however i do not use the
XB360_plugin.h just the XB360c.h and its wonderfull!

ok i really need to get somework done
its due next sunday wish me luck!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 20:08
Errors:

I tried including MikeNet.h to darknet.h but things got worse, let me know if you don't know whats causing it and I will have another look.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 20:10
Haliop - How dare you use Sparkys
Fulcrum is still in beta stage really, plus I have not updated so there is no ray-casting yet, so Sparkys is a good choice, will update as soon as I can.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 22:23 Edited at: 28th Apr 2010 22:32
hey matty,

there is some quirkness with MikeNet that requires it to be called prior to the DarkGDK.h located in the Include directory. Fake1089 commented on it in the main.cpp:
Quote: "this MUST be before DarkGDK.h due to winsock incompatibilites with DarkGDK"

I tried Header Guards everywhere and continued to spit out compile errors. The workaround was to call the MikeNet.h in DarkGDK.h.

1. Open DarkGDK.h
2. Add #include "MikeNet.h" , above #include "DarkSDK.h".
3. Save

This is what I have my DarkGDK.h looks like:

I forgot to add the modified version DarkGDH.h to the SVN, sorry about that. That has been corrected and I will make another commit to ensure no-one has trouble. Perhaps we can find a fix the MikeNet.h header issue when we reconfigure the directories.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 23:26
I'm rubbish at this kind of thing, I can't understand why we can't just include "darknet.h" before anything, that in turn includes "MikeNet.h" and then "DarkGDK.h", I tried it and it never worked, do you know why?

I'm sure there will be a solution, on that subject, I think we should have a S3GE.h which does all our includes and definitions so that any test project just needs to include this.

By the way, you have been very busy, I am so busy on Fulcrum that I don't really put aside time to try out the stuff you have been working on, I will try to give S3GE a little test drive this weekend.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 00:11
Quote: "I'm rubbish at this kind of thing, I can't understand why we can't just include "darknet.h" before anything, that in turn includes "MikeNet.h" and then "DarkGDK.h", I tried it and it never worked, do you know why?"
Nope! Other Libraries do not have a problem. I feel the issue can be fixed with more advanced header guards, but, we need a pro with the VC++ IDE to help. Did you ever get it to compile?

Quote: "I think we should have a S3GE.h which does all our includes and definitions so that any test project just needs to include this."
Unless one is adding another C++ Lib or modifying the core source code, I honestly do not know if that is needed. Ultimately, the engine source hardcode will be compiled to a single executable (S3GE.exe) and all Content for Applications/Games will be softcode: media, formatted data, and scripts. This is the purpose of Scenergy S3GW format.

Quote: "By the way, you have been very busy, I am so busy on Fulcrum that I don't really put aside time to try out the stuff you have been working on, I will try to give S3GE a little test drive this weekend."

Yes, I'm very busy and highly motivated too. I'm practically jumping between 4 different aspects of the engine and I'm finding this `code hoping` is keeping me from getting burned out. Results are also play a very big part. I feel really good about my results as I just starting working with C++ in Aug 09.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 02:38
Got it to compile but got a few issues.
I need to comment out:

and put the cube back in, otherwise I get an exception from the physics as I don't think anything loaded. Where are these 'assets//'?

Also when I close the window it seems maui::stop is throwing an exception but this could be because of the 'assets//' thing again.

I just get a non rotating cube and nothing else apart from some text at the bottom and I can throw balls at the cube.

Just wondering, do you put error handling in your code? I only ask because I usualy don't but I have done a little with Fulcrum but it needs alot more, I've been working on that tonight.
I presume non of the MAUI stuff is loading for me, if this is the case then maybe a windows message should tell me so.

This is the sort of thing I try to do whenever I create something:

Anyway, let me know about the assets thing and I'll try again tomorrow, laters.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 09:10 Edited at: 29th Apr 2010 12:27
Matty, i appreciate your help in finding these issues. I believe the file restructuring will solve our incompatibilities and make project easier to work in overall. The current problems have been caused by my failure to add files on my local machine to the SVN. The assets is located in:

I need to add the 3D assets and textures to SVN. This kind of problem will be remedied when I move assets to the HTTP Server. With this S3GE is getting a file upload/download system at its core that will pull assets from a remote server. I'm also considering throwing in a placeholder sytem that will use placeholder media if files are missing.

Quote: "I just get a non rotating cube and nothing else apart from some text at the bottom and I can throw balls at the cube."
You're missing the maui menu which has a button to rotate the cube and few other buttons for network tests. I reviewed previous notes from the forum. We had some issues with *.maui file in Feb with Rev 71. Your solution was Posted: 24th Feb 2010 10:48

Quote: "
Changed: + Code Snippet

To: + Code Snippet

Got the bouncing sprites now, its really fun although as you know it does break. Wonder why I had to make that change and you guys never, maybe a setting it different on my visual studio.
"

Quote: "Just wondering, do you put error handling in your code?"
I have very little at the moment. I'm also guilty of NOT performing any stress testing for missing files. I've been in need Trapping for MAUI Syntax Checking and DarkLUA Script loading for sometime now. Darknet has its own Error Trapping. Thanks to your code snippet:
I'm going to immediately start writing Error Trapping System in the Diag Class.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 12:15
Tech i want you to create me a Task
the Task is:

Automate Enviorment Mapping.
we all know , the Grass sound when walking on it
and we all know this feature is well known in computer gaming
as it makes some things easier and faster to calculate.

a year ago ive worked on something like it just without the sound
the idea of it was :

i take a color and do some manipulation to that color
now i will not tell you whats it about but you will sure like it so its kind of a suprize

however i do not know how to implent sound on "Areas" but i guess it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

so next week i will start working on a little something to demonstrate what i mean. wheter you already have something in mind for such a thing or not , i will show you a very simple Algorithem that will take our "Detail" level to the next gen.

cheers.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 12:35
Quote: "Tech i want you to create me a Task
the Task is:

Automate Enviorment Mapping.
we all know , the Grass sound when walking on it
and we all know this feature is well known in computer gaming
as it makes some things easier and faster to calculate."

Haliop, I'm sorry, but, I don't understand exactly. However, it sounds interesting. DOSP Coordinator Task#0000035 created for you.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 15:39
Yeh, I had to point it to the debug folder, why do we have assets in there, shouldn't they be in the S3GE folder?
I think I may have asked that before, not sure.
Also, I needed to tell it where to find Box2D headers and source.

But now, it opens the window and then the program exits immediately, I don't get to see anything, no errors, just exits.
I will have another look at it later when I get time, it may be something I done yesterday when I was hunting down exceptions.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 16:03
i think there is a program called
team viewer
if we get it
we can connect to other computer and setup with givven permissions some things , so tech can "fix" whats wrong in matty VS2008
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 17:31 Edited at: 29th Apr 2010 17:37
Quote: "Yeh, I had to point it to the debug folder, why do we have assets in there, shouldn't they be in the S3GE folder?"
The asset directory structure will match that of the Host Server Repository. I recommend storing your assets there. This will make life easier when its time to migrate assets to the host server.
Also, I needed to tell it where to find Box2D headers and source."
I haven't touched Box2D libs and setup since Rev 70. It was working for you earlier. What was your S3GE Properties --> Configuration Properties --> General --> Additional Include Directories setup for?

Quote: "But now, it opens the window and then the program exits immediately, I don't get to see anything, no errors, just exits.
I will have another look at it later when I get time, it may be something I done yesterday when I was hunting down exceptions."
Damn! Its not supposed to be this hard We may have to expedite the directory restructure to fix this sooner than later.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 21:31
This causes the program to exit:

Although yesterday I had it running without commenting this out but that was when it could not find the assets, there is still a slight chance I have broke it somehow messing around with other things.

With that commented out everything seems fine, how are you loading stuff while the program is running? And what are you loading, is it the button media? I was under the impression that DarkGDK was not thread safe.

I think you have the project settings set up to find Box2D in Debug only, you can change it to all configurations.

Seems more stable this time, I will try leaving it running for a while to be sure and get back to you, good work Tech

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 23:03
You need
for S3GE to update a new scheduled task for the splashscreen. It's most likely another case of missing files. But, the lack of no error checking is complicating the issue. I'm working on that now.

Quote: "With that commented out everything seems fine, how are you loading stuff while the program is running? And what are you loading, is it the button media? I was under the impression that DarkGDK was not thread safe."
The button media is loaded by MAUI and its state-driven NOT threaded. There's only one button that uses a bmp, the others are generated internally with drawing commands (maui::theme).

I think you have the project settings set up to find Box2D in Debug only, you can change it to all configurations."
Another IDE feature I haven't completely figured out. You're teaching me stuff. Fixed.

Poof Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Techlord,

Is it okay to ask you some questions on Box2d on this thread or should I open another thread?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 01:48
Quote: "Hey Techlord,

Is it okay to ask you some questions on Box2d on this thread or should I open another thread?"
How can I help?

Poof Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 02:21 Edited at: 30th Apr 2010 02:23
Well I was wondering if you have tried to implement the B2ContanctListener in your project? I need it to be able to know certain game logic things IE if my player touches a specific item or object. I have looked at the documentation on box2d and they don't really have much on how to implement it. I have tried some basic code that runs but I'm a little confused on how to know when a specific object is touching another specific object. In my search for the answer I came across some code for the Contanct listener which looks like this:

Now to use in main I do something like this:

I guess I'm just confused on what I should put in the function Add in the contact listener to be able know if a specific object is touching another specific object.

I guess in the end I would want to be able to have a bIsColliding check in my base Gameobject class which uses the contact listener to check if it is colliding with another specified object.

Sorry if the question is a little confusing its kind of hard to explain.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 03:01
I have yet to implement B2ContactListener or Contact Filtering. I do intend to revisit this feature later. Currently, I'm using Box2D for simulation and a math collisions (distant formula) for `Hit` detection. You may also want to look at `sensors` shapes. If you pursue development with a contact listener, I would be interested in your results. Sorry I cannot be of more help at this time.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 16:30
Poof Master - I'm pretty sure you need to make your own class which inherits from the contact listener class, you then over-ride the beginContact(), endContact() functions with your own code of what should happen in these events.

I have just implemented something very similar with PhysX and from doing a quick search it seems Box2D is done the same way.

Obviously there must be a way to get data about what objects are involved in the contact so you can handle it any way you desire, Box2D will hold all this data and you need to retrieve it somehow, I could show you how I do that with PhysX but it probably wont help much.

I may look into it more if I get time and get back to you.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 16:41
Techlord's Scenergy XML S3GW World Format Worksheet

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 16:44
thats really, really impressive, good work there techlord, its nice to see the project going well

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 16:56
Quote: "thats really, really impressive, good work there techlord, its nice to see the project going well "
Thanks Hassan, although I'm not sure what parts your talking about. I'm jumping all over the place.

1. Found a solution to a Sprite problem that was giving me grief. Now I'm implementing MAUI Transitions.

2. Prep for Scenergy. Written the skeleton for XML Importer based on MAUI XML Importer. Will be adding a new loading class that will provide several loading and streaming options.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 2nd May 2010 12:12 Edited at: 2nd May 2010 12:27
yo
i cant seem to debug S3GE , ive updated SVN just a few sec ago
i had to copy BitmapSDK to the old DarkGDK / Include folder
and everything compiles great

but when i Debug it
i get
debuggin information for "s3ge.exe" not found bla bla bla.. again same as last one , what can i do to fix it? since it build up the prject with no errors.. i cant understand why it dosent work ...
\

edit:
changed Generate Debug Info inside Linker -> debugging to Yes /Debug

but when it runs , i get
Assets/Data/Logic/splashscript could not be loaded...
and bam crush

hmmmmmmm

2nd edit:
changed
Assets/Data/Logic/splashscript
to
Debug.. yeah i should have rad the older posts

changed the Debug to NO in linker - > debugging

but now i get another problem
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 2nd May 2010 12:34
ok im waiting for some answers about the problems i have
i want to get started on Enviorment Mapping i belive we all will benefith from it since i have a special idea for it that will make our lives super easier but still get high detail terrains textures which will include like if you walk on grass you will hear a grass sound dou if we use the BlitzzTerrain later on we would be able to use that i think it have enviorment mapping so i'll add only the Automated Texture maker for it to get high detail textures with just a few clicks.
Poof Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm pretty sure you need to make your own class which inherits from the contact listener class, you then over-ride the beginContact(), endContact() functions with your own code of what should happen in these events."

Hey sorry for such a late response but pretty much what you said I finally go to work. I mean right now it just prints something to the screen but thats the start I was looking for.

Basically where ever you are creating you bodies you can add a line in like this:

So then in my Add or in the updated Box2d BeginContact() I can check specific userdata's. As of right now all my objects derive from GameObject so it will always come out to be true but I'm sure you get the point.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2010 14:16
Haliop - As your train model is not in the project yet it will crash if you use that as the object, I changed mine back to the cube and it worked.

Techlord is putting in some error handling so we have more idea when something goes wrong.

poof master - cool, I have all my collision objects in a map <int, shape>, then each shape has its own ID number which you can add to the user data. Good luck.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 3rd May 2010 16:56
ohh ok changed and compiled
then i got the maui prblem and fixed

ran it and got a new error :
[string "splashscript"] :2: '<eof>' excpected near '<<'

i have no clue , i looked at the splashscript file:

i dont see any problem with that also i have no idea whats the maui "how to fix" stuff..
any thoughts?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 01:57
Hi haliop, whats your SVN Rev? The latest is 77.

[string "splashscript"] :2: '<eof>' excpected near '<<'

I've never seen that type of error before. But, the snippet you pasted has the wrong type of parenthesis at the end '(' should be ')'

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2010 11:41 Edited at: 4th May 2010 11:51
yeah i know , its in the wrong way just becouse i have a hebrew edition of windows, so sometimes it does that cause hebrew is
right to left languge while english is left to right, i should have mentioned it.

and i have revision 77 already.

as far as i understand its something to do with the
EOF or end of file reading from the lua point of view.

is this right?
return 0 is the end of the script file?
should it be like a </script> or soemthing?

edit: btw , is <list> like a <vector> since i see the iritators..
and what does -> pop do?
just looking at the resource manager .
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 12:18
Quote: "Haliop - As your train model is not in the project yet it will crash if you use that as the object, I changed mine back to the cube and it worked."
Should be in there as of Rev 77.

Haliop, I'm not getting that error. Its the first script called and there isnt much code to it, so, its difficult to determine whats causing this for you. I'm Googl'ing for answers and I'm gonna have to to try to break it on my side to duplicate. Has S3GE worked at any time for you?

Quote: "edit: btw , is <list> like a <vector> since i see the iritators..
and what does -> pop do?
just looking at the resource manager . "
Yes.

The Resource Managers use LIFO stacks to manage DGDK Object integer IDs that are recycled. Pop() pops an ID off the stack. Push() pushes an ID back on the stack for later use. Its a really easy and efficient way to manage (recycled) IDs.

Could you explain more detail on your `Enviorment Mapping` system. I have an idea of what Environmental Mapping is when it comes to texturing objects to reflect the environment, but, im sure you mean something different.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2010 12:51
no it has nothing to do with reflect or reflection as they are shaders attributes if that what you meant.

Enviorment Mapping is an Area Based such as a Volume Brush like in Unreal Engine or Radiant engine where you want something to calculate inside a spechific area altough you actually use it on the whole map or level , you dont want it to be calculated on places that the player cant reach , for exampl
Light.

if you light the entire map , the entire map will get real time shadows , but you dont really want it cause it cost much more GPU and CPU , Enviorment Mapping , gives you the Light Calculation that you want but only where you want , so the ordinary player sees everything light and have a nice shadow , but where he cant reach and cant see , no need for shadows maybe fake shadows but not real time shadows. thats just an example of lights.

so , my idea is to take this "Regions" or "Areas" and manipulate them in such a way so you'll get:

UV mapping for a spechifc object where you can paint on induvidual faces
now the UV mapping will be automated , and i have just the trick to do it Automated so you can understand it and paint it outside or inside the S3GE editor.

so actually im not talking only about EM , im talking about a brand new concept for gaming or even the entire Multimedia Industry.
lets do an Example of the entire idea:
you just built a terrain
you just added some objects like buildings and cars
all made inside S3GE using CSG oparations which can be found inside DarkGDK (uv calculations also can be found they are just undocumented and we can always use Directx for better and faster access)

ok , so we have a nice terrain with nice buildings built with S3GE Editor.

they all are just plain objects materail , grey or white or maybe red or blue..

with AEM
we can select an object,select AEM.
a little window or menu (Maui gizmo) will open up with the following or something like features:
1. Automate using ### Images or Textures if you like Image ids
2. Manual using the same as above where you can actually paint right on the UV map of a Selected Face or Adjusent Faces of that object.
3. Automate Normal MApping using what you have just painted or textured
4. Manual Normal same as above
5. Automate Random Mapping , which will give two identical objects which were painted using (1) to get just a bit of a random oparation so they will look diffrent.

the list of tools go on and on and on
6. Paint using RGB colors

now , there are some problems with it , the first too much UV data will cost a lot of GPU memory or Ram..
so it will all be algorithems , that you just "see" the diffrence beside have an Image to load up.

its a huge idea and huge concept, but i have already done some of it before when used WinXP and my terrains looked really awesome and i painted them for about 2 minutes , and Tech i tell you , you never saw anything that good looking in jsut 2 minutes of Pure RGB coloring.

now , since we already have the RGB coloring as region and we just manipulating them using the AEM , this means , that we actually can have an Enviorment Mapping solution against FPS drops.

so if we look from +900 Y with a 90 X angle , top view.
we can calculate where a player is standing
so if the player is on a "Green" spot and green is Grass , is player walking? if yes , playsound WalkOnGrass or just GrassShuffling
and again lets talk about the Light
if player is on "Green" then a hugh part of that area is now "Shaded" with high detail , so the player have the feeling like damn this is some nice lighting..

but wait thats not all more to come
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2010 12:59
i continute this for not reaching the text limit in one post
-------------------------------------------------------------

lets go back to AEM for mass Models like Grass and Trees.. or Bushes.

if this Spot is Green, randomly shuffle between GrassModels
insert GrassModel of the selected Random Shuffle , put model on ground rotate it a bit so it would face nicley.
now repeat it 300000 times, use LOD or Paging (thats from S3GE CORE)
and in less then 10 minutes you have:

a Terrain , fully textured or fully randomly textured giving a vibe of a Nature like randomness.
you have shadown calculation just for where the player is walking and everything else needed to be shadowed from that player point of view , is fake shadows.. much less CPU or GPU
with it , you have a fully Random Models like Rocks and wood and grass and bushes and trees..

now since they are models , you can add , delete , scale.. like every other 3D Modeling app or render or gdk

in the end , an unexprianced Modeler or a Level Maker can have fully textured modeled with EM for sound and light and Trigger Zones in just 10 minutes.
and still and i reapet , and still have it all with a High Detail feel.

if you do not undestand anything , pls ask anything.

lets do another example and will take Matty's car game ,
i wont repeat what i have just said , but take Matty's terrain for the car game and put AEM pulgin on top of it.
what will you get?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 13:07 Edited at: 4th May 2010 13:13
Haliop, AEM sounds really advanced and I have to admit some of it is going over my head lol. I'm all for systems that will put S3GE above sub-par.

I've search online for answers to the <eof> script problem. The most popular answer states you need to put a "end" in the end of the file. I have yet to test this. We need to fix your script problem, so you can get started on AEM as soon as possible.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2010 13:11 Edited at: 4th May 2010 13:11
yeah..
dude this will put us way above any other open source game kits.
lets just hope they wont read this but since its an open source no need to hide it .

it will just make everything easier, a good map will still need the "human" touch but it will make a lot of work for us so we can continue prototying , which is the most valubale in any game kit
that is rapid prototyping.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2010 13:25
can you explain in simple how is the lua reads from a file?
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2010 13:44 Edited at: 4th May 2010 13:47
from what i see on the lau pages and forums
lua uses an end sign after the return.
if there is no end then this problem appears
but since its working on your side.. i cant say i understand any of this...

edit: attached a picture of the error msg

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 05:47:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 05:47:25