Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK Open Source Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 12:06
Quote: "Well, instead of the demo you have now, with 1 gizmo and 1 object, why don't you put someone on creating a world, where the demo is like a game where you simply walk and by clicking on, I don't know, doors, you activate different parts of the engine. So lets say I got a street, and each stone I step on activates something that shows the power of the engine."
We are building the demo up to that level, as new subsystems/features are added they become part of the demo. I'm currently outlining the structure for the S3GW XML Format for loading World Data. I'm also working on the UI, Scripting, Networking, Modular Entity Construction, Channelized Image Map Processing. There's plenty of coding to be done and we could always use more volunteers.

Quote: "How do i download the sourcecodes of dosp? I cant figure out."
If you don't already have a SourceForge Account it can be obtained https://sourceforge.net/account/registration/ To ease the burden of registration for SVN, I will enroll any Contributor that has joined the project via the DOSP Coordinator just leave a note "ADD ME TO SVN". I'll send you an email with your SVN credentials when completed.

SVN Basics

There are two parts to SVN:

1. SVN Server to store and share files over the internet. It tracks updates to files and who working on them. It sends files and tracking info to Clients.

2. SVN Client you install on your local computer to communicate with SVN Server, storing files in a Windows Directory and displaying the status of the files based on Tracking info.

There are two main Client operations:

Update - this means download the files from the server, and replace any files you did NOT modify with the newer ones from the server.

Commit - this uploads any files you DID modify since your last commit to the server, so everyone else can download the new files. Note: Every time someone commits something new or modified, the revision number goes up. This means you can always know how up to date your files are, from what revision they are at compared to that on the server.

You can view SVN files online via SourceForge http://darkgdkosp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/darkgdkosp/ To communicate with the SVN Server you will need a SVN Client. TortoiseSVN and AnkhSVN (optional) come highly recommended, but, you can also use your own.

TortoiseSVN Setup

1. Download tortoiseSVN from http://tortoisesvn.net/, for free.
2. Install it.
3. Locate and select the Dark GDK Directory and [Right Click]. (DOSP SVN Directory Structure is aligned to that of the Dark GDK Directory)
4. You should now see an option "SVN Checkout".
5a. In "URL of repository", paste this:

5b. In "Checkout directory", paste the path of the Dark GDK directory. Example:
6. You are done!

For anyone who wants to use your own client, here is what you need:

How to use TortoiseSVN

Warning: It is highly recommended that Contributors, [Right Click] and choose Update in the root SVN Directory before starting any work.

The Directory Structure of DOSP is aligned with that of Dark GDKon my local workstation. There may be slight differences in your file structure. SVN will add and update matching files. The "Projects" Directory contains the VC++ Project Trio: S3GE (Engine), S3GEd (Editor), & S3GW (Super 3D Game World: The Game). All associated Libs, Includes, Media etc for the project, etc are filed in the applicable directories. The "Media" Directory will be used as the primary repository for all media assets for Applications and Games developed within the Projects.

You can create Directories and Files like you normally do. A question mark ? overlays their icons. A Directory with this ? means that the Directory itself or some files within it have not been Added for commitment to SVN Server. Files with the ? have not been added. You will need to Add these directories & files in order to commit them to the SVN Server for everyone else to see. In some cases, you may not want to commit the directory/file to this SVN Server, leaving it in this state is harmless but its recommended that it be added to the ignore list (see details below).

To Add Directories and Files, [Right Click] and select TortoiseSVN -> Add. You can select one more directories and files to add at once. Warning: Tortoise will only display file extensions without names, thus its tricky to know what files are being added. I'm not sure if this is bug or a setting I failed to turned on.

Once files have been Added, a plus sign + overlays the icon. If you modify files a exclamation mark ! overlays the icon. Both icons mean the directory/file are ready to be committed. To commit, [Right Click] anywhere in the view and select SVN Commit to update the SVN server. When you commit changes please a short log message so people know what has been committed. This is in the top box when you commit. You will also be prompted for a username and password, this is you sourceforge username and password.

There will be local and Directories/Files that you don't desire to commit to SVN server. To omit these Directories/Files highlight them and [Right Click], select TortoiseSVN -> Add to Ignore List.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 12:26 Edited at: 20th Apr 2010 12:42
so , i should upload my models there? or act as a folder client , and you will see the updates once you login?
that is if there is a version update for anything?

edit:
oops i forgot... i know i said it would take 8 hours.. but wait no longer , here it is
low poly about 2750 triangles for the entire model.
so now we actually have v0.2 for the High Poly Model ,and v0.3 for the Low Poly Model.

the low poly dosent look the like the high poly one , its more simple at shape and not so smoothed , but thats how games made so..
how ever , i can always push for another 300 - 500 triangles making it look better.

changes:
each wheel is now as a seperated limb from the Duo, good for physics when you crush the train and each wheel fly another direction..
front wheels are also seperated , and the Gears behind the train is now seperated into 2, one is the main Gear and second is the front wheel connector, giving it the ability to rotate.

fix: ive fixed the Center Points of all Objects , this way no need to offset them in DarkGDK, as they are at the center of the object and not on the side of it .. noticed it only now and fixed it

picture of the new Gears beneath the Train
remmber front wheels are seperated and you need to select them both with the Front wheel connector in order to rotate them all together.

and a picture of the Low Poly Model , you can see the diffrence

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 13:10
Quote: "so , i should upload my models there? or act as a folder client , and you will see the updates once you login? "
If you have acquired the DOSP via SVN, then you could store your media in the project media directory for SVN commits & updates.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 13:20
ok ive left Add me to SVN
and now configuring the program i downloaded.

Fix: on the last post , 0.3 zip file is wrong , here is a fix that will fix the UV texture.

Attachments

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 13:25
i get an error:
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 15:08
Do you have user account control on, I had to turn mine off on my vista machine. Not sure if thats your issue but worth mentioning.
Great work on the model by the way.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 15:26
haliop, your added to SVN. See if that corrects your problem.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 15:45 Edited at: 20th Apr 2010 15:46
Quote: "Yes. A majority of the properties should be accessible from S3GW XML. MAUI XML has a physics tag used for setting 2D/3D physics, I figure Game Entities will follow suit:"

I'm quite new to this but does this look correct(ish):

Each GDK 3D object will have a physics object which will contain all the physics data, physics objects contain shapes the way objects have limbs, am I on the right track with the XML?

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 15:50 Edited at: 20th Apr 2010 15:52
no still got the same problem
i use windows 7 64bit HomeEdition..
what is user control?
btw dont i need to insert Username and Password to the SVN client or soemthing?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 16:46
User account control is something windows has to stop you altering files in certain places on your computer, with vista though, even as the administrator, it sometimes won't allow you to do what you want.
I don't think this is your issue though.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 18:30
hmm so what now?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 18:33
Try and checkout to a new folder on your desktop, see if it makes any difference.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 19:20
yep its working.!!
how do i actually use this?
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 19:36 Edited at: 20th Apr 2010 19:49
something is wrong when i run the S3GE.exe
when i press up or down it quit from the app...

plus when i debug S3GE it gives me the following errors:

it has some more lines about the same...

when i first opened the S3GE.EXE that came with the SVN checkout
the program ran and i could see the Maui gizmos , but when i touched Up or Down it crushed without an error.

after i debug with the errors above
i can press up and down showing Script 1 or Script1 and Script2
only in text nothing really happens, however the Maui gizmos are not found.. i can do the 3D physic test with the spehers but not maui..
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 19:50
btw , where should i upload the 3D models?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 00:09 Edited at: 21st Apr 2010 00:10
Quote: "I'm quite new to this but does this look correct(ish):

<Object ID = "1">
<PhyObject type = "DYNAMIC">
<PhyShape type = "BOX" localPosY = "1.8"/>
<PhyShape type = "SPHERE" radius = "4.0"/>
</PhyObject>
</Object>

Each GDK 3D object will have a physics object which will contain all the physics data, physics objects contain shapes the way objects have limbs, am I on the right track with the XML?"
Yes! You are on the right track. Here's an Example of MAUI XML. Why XML? Because its simple and we have a fast parser for it.

I've started writing the Importer for Scenergy: S3GW XML Scene Format. I'm writing the Scenergy XML Tags & attributes with consideration to High-Level Game Entities:

Director: Light, Camera, Audio
Entity3D: MECS (Mesh Parts & Connectors) & CHIMP (Channelized Texturing, Mapping Shading)
Actors: Entity3D, Character(istics)
Exterior (Terrain)
Interior (Building)
Particles: Pyro, Decals, Flora, Liquids, Lens flares
AI: Solver(s), PathMesh (Navigational Geometry), Triggers, Events

Like MAUI, my plan is to develop the High Level game entities in a manner that Collision Objects (primary) & Displayed Object(secondary) are coupled in way for easy attaching/detaching from one another. Being mindful of rendering and networking performance, some 3D geometry will use special collision and rendering optimizations (ie: Octree Culling for building interiors, Level Of Detail for Terrains and Actors.)

Quote: "something is wrong when i run the S3GE.exe
when i press up or down it quit from the app..."

You will have to compile S3GE on your local machine. If you can successfully compile then run the S3GE.exe stored in the Debug Directory:

Quote: "btw , where should i upload the 3D models?"

Originally, the plane was to store media in the DarkGDK Media Directory:

however, I've reconsidered storing media in the folder because 1) I did not account for non-media data files; 2) I will moving Media and Data to a remote Host Server for Network Transfer to S3GE Server/Client.

I've been temporarily storing media in the appropriate folder located:

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 00:48
Quote: "Yes! You are on the right track. Here's an Example of MAUI XML. Why XML? Because its simple and we have a fast parser for it."

That link just gives me an empty screen, but glad I am understanding it a bit more.

I think we may have talked about this before but what is the reason behind having the S3GE files mixed in with DarkGDK files?
To me, it seems messy and a little confusing, I think it would be better to have a seperate S3GE folder which holds libs, headers, source, dll, media etc, its then more clear what we have added and what came with DarkGDK.
Is it hard to change it now?

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 01:27
Quote: "That link just gives me an empty screen, but glad I am understanding it a bit more."
Dependent on your Web Browser, you may have to right-click view source.

Quote: "what is the reason behind having the S3GE files mixed in with DarkGDK files?"
The original intent was to follow DarkGDK default directory structure. Source specific to S3GE is under
. Some Static Libs/DLLs are used in other projects. I personally prefer to have only one copy of Physx, Box2D, LUA and others Libs on my machine to simplify updates.

However, its never to late to make changes. What are your recommendations.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 06:31
ok , about the 3d Models folder, for now i'll create a Temp 3D Models inside the Media folder, this is for all the ppl who will join us and for updates. (that is until a decision is made for where they should go)

second, i tried to compile S3GE project but i get the following errors:

it seams like some libs are ok , but some have problems
and in the end of compiling i get this msg:
Image Included.

Attachments

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 09:05
Quote: "ok , about the 3d Models folder, for now i'll create a Temp 3D Models inside the Media folder,"
I've already created one located
The asset directory structure will match that of the Host Server Repository. I recommend storing your assets there. This will make life easier when its time to migrate assets to the host server.

Some of the Libs do not have debug libraries, so, running it in Debug will fail. I honestly do not know how to go about fixing it. I just build it. Build -> Build S3GE, then launch S3GE.exe in Debug folder. I'm using a diag class to log info to the clipboard for post debugging purposes. Its crude but it works.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 09:52 Edited at: 21st Apr 2010 09:54
i still think that we need a 3D Model section beside the Asset Section, as that in the Assets we have the 3D Model currently in work with the project,
and 3D Model section, that has all models diffrent versions / textures...

on the other hand.. it dosent really matter is it..
im thinking about the guys who will use S3GE beside us
before imorting their own models, they will want to use existing ones just for the tutorials for example..

so , the Assets is what you actually use
the 3D Models , is or are , the selection of what you can use if you want to.

it dosent really matter..

btw, im thinking about making a maui presentation that can show its features..
where should i start?
second edit: actually im thinking of an App that creates Maui files, so you create your "Hud" or interface and then just load it onto your game.. which is probably what you (tech) had in mind.. just want to check it.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 10:41 Edited at: 21st Apr 2010 10:44
Quote: "btw, im thinking about making a maui presentation that can show its features..
where should i start?
second edit: actually im thinking of an App that creates Maui files, so you create your "Hud" or interface and then just load it onto your game.. which is probably what you (tech) had in mind.. just want to check it. "
I do have an UI editor, examples and help docs planned. The UI Editor is the first of the Super 3D Game Editor Suite that I've planned to build. I will have to update the SVN with my latest updates before any work starts.

If you review the MAUI XML Source file you can probably get a feel for how MAUI works. I could also answer questions.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 13:10 Edited at: 21st Apr 2010 15:18
Working out the details of HTTP file tansfer is helping formulate how to manage other high level protocols and messaging. So far DarkNet is proving to be very easy to work with, but most of all extremely fast.

I was able to write basic HTTP handling within a couple hours.
Its not working perfectly but I'm really close. Just have to work out the Request GET/POST var&value pair encoding & Response Header parsing.

When complete, I will integrate HTTP File Transfer Services into all loading functions starting with MAUI. S3GE will be able to pull media & data files directly into the engine locally and remotely. I'm really excited about the network features because this will put us in the position to grow S3GE into a Game Creation System that's Online, instead of just a Online Game Creation System.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 13:32
awesome! thats whats its all about co - op multiplayer game building expriance ... wow. thats actually sound wonderfull..
cant wait!!!

idea: build a game called : Build World Of Warcraft
a massivly multiplayer Game Engine for all
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 13:36
i kind of get the point of the Maui state idea
but something i do not understand.. and i dont want to ask too many questions , i'll sit on it today , but a tutorial would be nice.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 14:22
Quote: "i kind of get the point of the Maui state idea
but something i do not understand.. and i dont want to ask too many questions , i'll sit on it today , but a tutorial would be nice. "
Ask as many questions as want, it will help me figure out what i need write in the help docs.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 17:15 Edited at: 21st Apr 2010 17:19
Quote: " However, its never to late to make changes. What are your recommendations."

Just a standard file structure(attached).

Quote: " I personally prefer to have only one copy of Physx, Box2D, LUA and others Libs on my machine to simplify updates."

You would only have one copy of PhysX etc, but they would be in the S3GE folder.
I find that if things get messy, its sometimes easier to delete all the S3GE stuff and check-it out again, this is difficult when you have DarkGDK in there with it, not only that but if you want to do a project without S3GE you can't just exclude it as its mixed in with the DGDK headers and Libs.
Edit: Oh yeh, people could check-out to any location on their computer, tell visual studio where the libs are etc, and they are up and running, I had trouble checking out to that particular location because of user account control, which I have turned off now just for S3GE.

Attachments

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 17:57
Quote: "'S3GE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\נדב\Desktop\try\Projects\S3GE\S3GE\Debug\lua5.1.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'S3GE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442db5b5\msvcr80.dll'
'S3GE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll'
'S3GE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\נדב\Desktop\try\Projects\S3GE\S3GE\Debug\irrKlang.dll', Binary was not built with debug information."

Are these two dll's the only ones that are giving us problems debugging?
Techlord - have you looked into this issue at all?

To be honest, I don't really know what a dll is for, is it instead of a static lib and if so, what are its advantages. Also, can we get static libs for LUA etc instead?

I don't think I would use S3GE for any large projects without the ability to debug, I know you have implemented a work-around techlord, have you conceded to the fact that there may not be a solution(other than use different scripting etc)?

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 18:02
news:
i have started working on a presentation of XXX thing i have to do.
i might use S3GE for the 3D interactive Presentation using Maui it will be awesome , however this is not something i will post on the web for some good reasons.

this project is extremly important to me , and i have to show it in about a week and a half , so for that time i wont be able to participate as much as the last few days-week, please accept my appology.

p.s
i did not forget about improving the UV texture for the train
and the S3GE Super Hero Mascot.

ty.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 07:59
Quote: "You would only have one copy of PhysX etc, but they would be in the S3GE folder.
I find that if things get messy, its sometimes easier to delete all the S3GE stuff and check-it out again, this is difficult when you have DarkGDK in there with it, not only that but if you want to do a project without S3GE you can't just exclude it as its mixed in with the DGDK headers and Libs.
Edit: Oh yeh, people could check-out to any location on their computer, tell visual studio where the libs are etc, and they are up and running, I had trouble checking out to that particular location because of user account control, which I have turned off now just for S3GE."
I can see value in reorganization. I need to make one more major commit, then we will reorganize.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 08:20
Quote: "Are these two dll's the only ones that are giving us problems debugging?
Techlord - have you looked into this issue at all?

To be honest, I don't really know what a dll is for, is it instead of a static lib and if so, what are its advantages. Also, can we get static libs for LUA etc instead?

I don't think I would use S3GE for any large projects without the ability to debug, I know you have implemented a work-around techlord, have you conceded to the fact that there may not be a solution(other than use different scripting etc)?"
I haven't looked deeply into the debugging issue as the diag class is meeting my needs. Debug info is not guaranteed with 3rd Party Libs and in some cases it creates issues trying to compile in Debug mode (ie Box2D only compiles correctly without debug info). I'm simply not experienced enough with VC++ IDE to know what options are needed to get Debug to work.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 08:36
maybe we should ask Microsoft Support page , or actually each induvidual 3rd party lib forum.

on another case, Tech is the GUI editor ready for commit?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 10:15 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2010 10:17
Quote: "maybe we should ask Microsoft Support page , or actually each induvidual 3rd party lib forum."
My priorities are to get S3GE Basic FPS Demo ready. The Diag Lib is proving to be very effective and effecient in finding bugs as it's part of the code. Honestly, my plate is full and I'm hoping someone else will pursue it.

Quote: "on another case, Tech is the GUI editor ready for commit?"
No. I'm currently working on networking, and next on the agenda is Scenergy File format and importer. I have no intention of working on S3GEditor Apps until networking is in place. In the interim, one can write maui menus with maui xml and a text editor(thats what I'm doing).

Also note that MAUI currently only has a Label & Button Behavior and needs at least one Textbox Behavior to generate a basic Form Gadget. I'll add new Behaviors and functionality as time permits, but, network http file transfer is on the top of my things to do.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 11:46
ok got you.

im still woring on the presentation.
but i do not have a finished idea for the 3D section ..
k talk to u later.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 23:42
hi,
while working on the presentation , i made a wheel
which looks kindo funny , i spent like 3 minutes on the textures
and .. i dont know why , but its just an awesome texture..

the wheel is a bit of high poly , 144 for one , so its 144 * 4
its not much.. but most wheels usually takes less the 50..
so its triple.

so matty as promised (while wasnt aimed at all about making that promised wheel.. i said to myself, i can use it , but matty will sure use it )
so sorry about the delay. but here it is
and the Texture is extremly easy to undestand so you can change it as you like
here is a picture:

it looks a bit of boxed here , but the X exported Smoothed it out so its better when playing with it.

download attached , tell me if you want me to add it to S3GE , or commit it yourself if decided to do so.

Attachments

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 01:00
Wow, thanks haliop, thats awesome.
Poly wise, something with this amount of detail will be good for monster trucks or anything with large wheels. You should definitely commit this to dosp.

Just to let you know, any vehicle that is set up for Fulcrum is best having the wheels attached but as seperate limbs, although you can add them as limbs yourself in DarkGDK, its just a little more work and I think you need to add them from a mesh meaning you need to then apply the texture manually.

Good work haliop, thanks again.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 02:12 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2010 02:23
That a cool looking wheel Haliop. Imagine Monster Truck Wheels on the Loco Logo (that would be a Loco (Crazy) Loco - lol).

Ran into a snag with DarkNet, and was so close to being done with HTTP File Transfer There's a bug with DarkNet itself, thats chopping off data pulled from a Standard HTTP Server. I made Mike P aware of it, but, he will not be providing a fix until the summer(thats a bummer). I'm looking at every possible workaround within DarkNet and the HTTP Protocol before seeking a another net library.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 09:24
tech , tell him to give you your money back.
thats no way to sell a product..
when im buying a car , i want it with four wheels and a spare
if i get 3 wheels (without the spare) it wont drive right?

get your money back , this is just a small fallback maybe we should look into other Multiplayer Lib.

Matty, about the Limbs in GDK .
i guess we have to find a way to retexture the mesh properly
as i imagine you would want to have to ability to costumize your vehicle in game.

on the other hand , we can look at it at another angle.
you could make a model of just the four wheels
so you have the car model
and you have the wheels model
then attaching them will cause much less CPU power to keep them together as you move only 1 XYZ and not 4.. but its just a quick and lame idea.. for something we all have to do , which is Texture manipulations in game.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 11:09 Edited at: 24th Apr 2010 12:48
Quote: "tech , tell him to give you your money back.
thats no way to sell a product..
when im buying a car , i want it with four wheels and a spare
if i get 3 wheels (without the spare) it wont drive right?

get your money back , this is just a small fallback maybe we should look into other Multiplayer Lib."
Mike contributed DarkNet to DOSP free of charge. I would pay him now to fix this problem now. If I'm suffering others are too. I'm looking at RakNet but dont think its licensing terms will allow it to be used in a open source engine. I really dont want to take on coding a custom solution.

Quote: "Matty, about the Limbs in GDK .
i guess we have to find a way to retexture the mesh properly
as i imagine you would want to have to ability to costumize your vehicle in game.

on the other hand , we can look at it at another angle.
then attaching them will cause much less CPU power to keep them together as you move only 1 XYZ and not 4.. but its just a quick and lame idea.. for something we all have to do , which is Texture manipulations in game. "

You guys are thinking ahead! I desire to incorporate Modular Entity Construction + Procedural Entity Transitions to support a built-in Content Creation System within the engine. It is my belief that for most us Indie Game Developers unique content poses the greatest challenge.

Inspired by the Spore Creature Creator, I'm devising a Poor Man's Procedural Content Generation System which takes Modular Entity Construction Sets (hand-made parts), connects them, and uses Procedural Entity Transitions (cpu) to smooth out the rough spots. Procedural Entity Transitions is a term that encompasses a suite of interpolation/extrapolation algorithms that blend animations/physics, textures, meshes/vertices, music rythms, etc. Pulling off the advance features of the Spore Creature Creator is out of my league, but, I think locate algos interpolation/extrapolation algos.

Heres A Technical Paper on Spores Procedural Animation system by Chris Hecker

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 11:23
ok
marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
RakNet is free under the following conditions:
* Gross revenue under 250K
* Must display RakNet logo in your game's splash screen or credits.
* Downloadable distribution
* PC, Mac, or Linux

=]
I have tried my pathfinding and it was working. I have a simple task to do still.
How do i get a 3d location from a mouse click?
Raycasting from a mouse position?
I have done raycasting from the center of the window but not from a mouse click.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 14:29 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2010 14:31
Its hard not to look at RakNet with its extensive list of features and use in commercial products. I'm giving DarkNet one more valant effort to resolve the HTTP issue before jumping ship. I need progress to stay motivated.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 15:52
Quote: "on the other hand , we can look at it at another angle.
then attaching them will cause much less CPU power to keep them together as you move only 1 XYZ and not 4.. but its just a quick and lame idea.. for something we all have to do , which is Texture manipulations in game. "

Not completely following you there, are you saying not to attach them as limbs?
Attaching them as limbs means that they match the car rotation automatically, this method seems to be the easiest way to work.

Quote: "You guys are thinking ahead! I desire to incorporate Modular Entity Construction + Procedural Entity Transitions to support a built-in Content Creation System within the engine. It is my belief that for most us Indie Game Developers unique content poses the greatest challenge."

I don't think we are thinking ahead as we are just working out the best way to get our vehicles and perhaps the logo setup with physics, its pretty basic stuff. What you describe may take a little bit more work and I am ready when you are, how do you see the physics fitting into MECS?

Quote: "I have tried my pathfinding and it was working. I have a simple task to do still.
How do i get a 3d location from a mouse click?
Raycasting from a mouse position?
I have done raycasting from the center of the window but not from a mouse click."

Will this not do what you need?
Quote: "dbPickScreen
This command will calculate a relative 3D coordinate from a 2D screen coordinate. The additional Distance parameter indicates how far into the screen the 3D coordinate is to be calculated. The resulting 3D coordinate is not a world position, but a relative 3D vector from the current camera position. The world coordinate can be obtained by adding the camera position to the resulting vector. The resulting vector is generated internally and can be retrieved using the dbGetPickVector commands.

Syntax
void dbPickScreen ( int iX, int iY, float fDistance ) "

Also, what are you using for collision, and raycasting?

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 16:18
Quote: "how do you see the physics fitting into MECS?"

1. Physics Joints --> MECS Connectors.
2. Physics Rigid Bodies (w/o simulation) for Collision --> MECS Parts (Mesh).
3. Particles Fluids, Cloth --> MECS Accessories.

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Uh, TechLord, I don't know if MECS is already finished, but if I made like a shield, what would I use as a connector to attach it at the hand of the wielder?

Isocadia

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 19:04 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2010 19:41
Well, about the models, and mainly their names. I don't think we need to name every model like: train. But have some sort of standard. I cam to think of this because dragon age uses a system like this ( Note is is not really this. I am not on my DAO comp. so I cannot verify ):

hf-ab-up

That would mean something like: human female-armor body-uber plate
That way you can easely find specific models and you have a low chance of duplication. And the name of the model can by used to identify what it is ( you could make it analyse the name of the model so that when it loads it automaticly reads out of the title what race/gender etc it is and this would not have to be defined elsewhere ).

So is there a possibility to implement this kind of structure ( also for textures which marks if its a normal/diffuse/light/reflection map ) to make the organization of models and textures more easy?

Isocadia

Edit: Well, I thought of something like this:
Model: Gender( F/M/N )|Race(H/E/D/)|Type(A/W/B(ody)|Connector(Ha(ir)/Sh(ield)/Pb(Plate Body ) etc )|Name.

So an example:
N|E|B|Ha|Wedding Hair

And the engine would load it as: Neutral, Elf, Body, Hair, Wedding hair.

And with textures:

Mesh( Wedding Hair )|Type( Diffuse/Normal/Specular/Reflection etc )|Name(highlight red)

example: Wedding Hair|D|Shiny Blue, and the engine would read it as:

texture to Wedding hair as a diffuse texture. And the name just to identify it in the editor.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 19:23
i agree , we should have an organized Item shortcuts, and a title inside them ,
and you search or sort items by :
Short Name | Title | Body Part etc..

so our "Asset" browser is not limited in its search feature

Tech , are the Search and Sort will be in XML type?
if everything is based on the XML , so i guess XML has some kind of search and sort features? or should we build one of our own?

more intersting , is to put a Human Figure , and when you click on any of his parts , you get "this is what you can attach to (this)"
making a Search and Sort using the XML body parts (if it works like that) when viewing a model , will be very "Advanced" looking Charcter Customuzation feature.

damn i really need to get some work done, talk to you later.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 02:24 Edited at: 24th Apr 2010 02:50
I have good news. Mike modified DarkNet v1.1.7 so that it can properly download files via HTTP Server! This makes me very excited and a nitro boost for motivation.

Quote: "Uh, TechLord, I don't know if MECS is already finished, but if I made like a shield, what would I use as a connector to attach it at the hand of the wielder?"
I havent started any development on MECS yet. But, according to current spec, you would simply place a 'slot' connector somewhere on the hand skeleton or mesh and 'peg' connector somewhere on the shield.

Quote: "Tech , are the Search and Sort will be in XML type?
if everything is based on the XML , so i guess XML has some kind of search and sort features? or should we build one of our own?"
I apologize Haliop, but, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. XML is just to format data. What ever system you use to parse it would have to possess search/sort features. I may have missed the mark answering your question.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 09:55
i will refine my question , but first i will learn XML
do you have a good website or Document or even a Video Tutorial about what XML is?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 10:25 Edited at: 24th Apr 2010 10:48
Quote: "do you have a good website or Document or even a Video Tutorial about what XML is?"
W3Schools.com XML Tutorial. Thats a very good place to learn more about it. But, I'll give you my take on it.

XML is a method of formatting data. For example, lets say that we created a cube and wanted to save the orientation, color, texture in a file. You could write/save the info in a file like so:

Now to load the file, you open, read and parse the text. You of course have to the write a special parser yourself to use the data. This can require a lot of work.

XML has a standard set of rules which others have written Parsers to read the info and put it where you want it. Using the example of above a XML version could be like so:

<element attribute="value">
</element>

Thats it. XML is just a method to format data with a standard set of rules.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 01:13:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 01:13:23