Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 03:39
Your signature fits this milestone!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 03:44 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 03:47
lol @ shipping chart. Discord to himself

Rainbow Dash is so overused...

TheComet

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 03:49
Quote: "Rainbow Dash is so overused..."

...says the guy with RD as both avatar and sig.

The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's alright with everyone else.
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 04:11
I am very tempted to jump into this Mare-a-thon that is currently at S01E13 with all episodes leading up to S02E25 & E26 tomorrow... screw sleep, I never watched one of those Mare-a-thons and this is my last chance for a while. Well one of those before-a-new-episode-mare-a-thons atleast.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 05:00 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 05:01
Quote: "lol @ shipping chart. Discord to himself "

Quote: "Rainbow Dash is so overused..."

not sure which usage of the word overused is being used... unsure how to interpret that

swis
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 11:41 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 11:41
This is pretty awesome.

Support a charitable indie game project!
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 12:11
As long as its just G1 and not G4... yup that is awesome
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 18:46 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 19:23

This guy is awesome! I love his reviews on the fictions.

Also, this is a really short but awesome fan fic:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/16121/1/Come-With-Me%2C-Listen-to-the-Stars-Breathe-Your-Name/Come-With-Me%2C-Listen-to-the-Stars-Breathe-Your-Name

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 20:51 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 21:12
Oh. my. bucking. Celestia.

That's all I'm gonna say for now, atleast until I've seen the HD version atleast a doze times instead of the low quality livestream... (and it's not even over yet...)

Edit:
Sooo... looks like Xyro's stream-channel got taken down, I hope he still manages to get them up on youtube... otherwise I'll buy these episodes through iTunes i guess. Anyone know how long it takes until they're up on iTunes?
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 23:44 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2018 02:12
[deleted]
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 23:51
This, episode, was, EPIC.

And it was the "unchildiest" episode so far

given, its still childy. But it was.. rough.

anyway - DJ-PON3!!!!

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 00:10
Quote: "anyway - DJ-PON3!!!!"

Oh TheComet agrees.

TheComet

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah DJ-Pony!

_!!!!_
,0~U -Well I do say, its been quite a fancy forum for
__-____TheZachadoodle.________________________________
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 04:56
Best song:
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 05:04 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2012 05:24
Such incredible power in that song. Amazing, just simply amazing indeed.

edit: I actually love how the songs go from typical MLP: FiM songs /BBBFF\ to Disney/movie quality: This day and back to MLP again with Love is in bloom

^^

edit: nvm, actually, love in bloom is pretty much Disney too

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 05:52
I just watched Fight Club for the first time.

Directly after I watched the Canterlot Wedding for the first time.

My head is spinning.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 12:58
OOoooh, Fight club -> Really, really good movie^^

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 17:24 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2012 17:26
That scene when Lyra spoke was like Derpy's scene to me, I was just abouut to drink something and the next moment I'm like "what?! what just happened?!" and totally freaking out xD I mean it was her first line, right? :o
(I don't even quite remember the scene or what she said )

I was on sleep-depriviation yesterday so my mind was pretty slow... after getting a good nights sleep I'm ready to watch the HD version now Multiple times.

And I agree, the songs were epic, and DJ Pon-3 was nice too... In the low quality of the stream I didn't see it, but did she reveal her eyes? o.0 In the flash files of the Hub-site her eyes were like RDs eyes but I think it was just inside the files and she didn't show them... well I'll know it in about 40 minutes anyways.

(Edit: Btw, was I the only one who actually started clapping after the credits after episode 26 started? )
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 21:51
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 22:36 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2012 23:05
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 22:44
*Daniel
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 23:05
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 01:59 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2012 02:02

Oh god it loops... we're all doomed.
Edit: bleh it only loops on youtube itself. I guess you've been spared for now.

Also, I just finished rewatching the episodes a while ago, and I just love those little details they always put in there... like in the beginning when Pinkie does a cartwheel across the picnic-blanket and then Twilight fixes the cake and replaces the teapot. Or when Twi accuses Cadence at the wedding rehearsal, AJ wants to step in, and Twi pushes AJ away with her hat. xD I feel like I missed a lot when watching a horrible livestream while half-asleep

And if the embeded video doesn't already say it: Daniel Ingram and William Anderson and all the others working on the songs and background music really have outdone themselves again, the music in this was more than epic.

A few minor details I thought were strange: Why is Luna absent throughout the middle of the episodes? It was nice to see her taking over for Celestia keeping watch. And after the wedding she pops up again saying "Did I miss anything?" Is that some kind of joke? I suppose Luna is a Troll-Princess too... she might've been asleep to miss the fighting (still unlikely) but to completely miss the day of the wedding? ...Yeah right xD
The absence of guards was strange too, with guards crowded and patroling everywhere in the beginning... did Queen Chrysalis take them out or teleport them away aswell?

But yeah this show has it's limitations, both regarding length of the episodes and amount of animated characters they can have in a scene... in the end I'm not complaining about it, it was all perfect how it was

I really loved Queen Chrysalis's Transformation scene too, I like the dark/evil design they created for the antagonists of this episode. I mean, is this still a show for little girls?
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 02:06
Quote: " Is that some kind of joke? "

pretty sure thats exactly what is is... in the end of the day, Luna IS a minor character,and like all other minor characters, she was absent the whole episode.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 09:53
A rant focused on glorifying "MLP FIM" as a way to say Goodbye and thanks for all the ponies untill next season,

So i got around to watching the season finalie which is better than i expected to be.

I always liked nightmare moon more as a villan. Discord in my opinion is certainly an interesting charecter, his goofyness made him seem not very evil, infact, he just seemes like a really bored demigod creature who only wants to have a good laugh. His methods seem to avoid any violence, while he does get his way trough manipulation, again, it dosent seem like the evil kind of manipulation.

Nightmare moon on the other hand, has clear evil motives and the reason behind her motives, (wanting ponies to appreciate the night and getting revenge on celestia for 1000 year inprisonment in tjhe moon)

With the removal of Lauren Faust from the show, and somewhat change of style in season 2 (less adventures and more personal friendship problems) and the problems with the shows limitation of being a show for little girls, i really didnt expect anything being EpiclyAwesome20%CoolerIn10Secondsflat like season 1. I thought it would be mostly girly wedding drama and something not scary will happen that will crash the wedding which will result in some silly non threatening chaotic silliness the kind that you get in shows for little girls.

INSTEAD!,[possible spoilers if you havent watched the 2 part finalie]

Also i really like how the show sometimes resolves conflict in an unexpected and not even glorified way but manages to teach a lesson. Like in Hurricane fluttershy, they didnt break a new record infact they barley even got a minimum, opposite of what most cartoons i watched as a kid would do. So unexpected, dissapointing conflict resolutions like that pop up a lot and for somereason they manage to teach a lesson anyway.

Also Shining Armour strangley riminds me of a charecter from a fanfic. (If anyone read a fanfic called "stories in stone" (really highly reccomend altho at chapter 29 its still far from finished)

(the fanfic assumes the setting before Lunas banishment and focuses on events leading up to Lunas transformation into NMM).

Basically this unicorn- Jer'Rahd Kaisur, comes from a family of royal guards/soldiers who at some point becomes the capitan of the royal guard (just like Shining Armor) Who only knows 2 spells, shield and telecanesis but knows them damn well and can manipulate his shield very impressivley (At first i thought Celestia made the shield around canterlot, but if i am not mistaken, Shining Armor made that huge city-wide shield bubble. Jer'rahd at one point cast a shield over a sieged city and basically performed amazing things with his shield like making bridges and stuff.
Jer'rahd also has bad luck with mares some of which betrayed him and taken advantage of him. (JUST LIKE SHINING ARMOR AND THE IMPOSTOR PRINCESS CADENZA infact, its actually very similar to the situation with one of Jer's girlfriends)
Then there is the fact that Jer'rahd advanced in his career very quickly and eventually became the youngest top military general of equestrian military (based on the estimate that Twilight is 18-21yo in human years, I estimate Shining Armor at about 24+/late 20s in human years... maybe) Armor seemes kinda young to land a capitan of the royal guard, Possibly his talent with the shield got him that position.
Then there is the fact that both shining armor and Jer'rahd, were very closley associated with Celestia and Luna. Being the capitan of the royal guard, and getting married apperentley to Celestias niece and having a younger sister- the element of magic, I am guessing thats reason enough to be closley associated with the royalty. Just like Jer'rahd who was a general, a war-hero, one of lunas personal guards and military advisors and was infact one of the original bearers of the element of loyalty. (ok that dosent count due to all fanfics being about element bearers)
Queen Chrysalis when in a form of p.Cadense, screws with Armors mind. Jer'rahd at some point also has his mind screwd with by a female representative of royalty who attempts to flirt with Jer'rahd (thats not the worst that happened to Jer's Brain)
The fact that both Luna and Celestia were present in the royal wedding episode, added to theoverall theme of similarities of shining armor and Jer rahd.
And finally Shining armors cutie mark is a tower shield against a backdrop of magic star symbol. Jer'rahd's cutie mark is a green tower shield (his shield powers are green colord unlike Armors purple magic)
I cant help but suspect that Hasbro used "stories in stone" fanfic Jer'rahd as a template to create Shining Armor. The only difference i can summarize is Jer'rahd badass level is off the scales, He went trough hell multiple times and survived impossible situatons against all odds. This pony has balls of... not even steel, balls of tempered titanium/carbon-duralium alloy or something and nerves of of a similar material.
If you read this fanfic, You will witness the transformation of this pony from how his drill sargent kicked his flank at basic guard training, to slowly becoming the legend of equestria. Unfourtunatley Capitan Shining Armor dosent seem to be as badass as General Jer'rahd Kaisur, but he seemes to be going in the right direction.
so seriosly, guys, read it.

something just occured to me...
What if John Vasquez was made the executive producer/animator/creative director for "my little pony friendship is magic"

For people who might not know, John Vasquez wrote horribly violent comics "johnny the homocidal maniac" and the creative director/ animator and pretty much the main guy in charge of "Invader Zim" Which in my opinion is still the greatest show ever.

MLP is proboly in the top 10 list of best cartoon ever proboly on the same level as Invader Zim which is close to #1. Mlp is also proboly #1 for different reasons.

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 12:46
First we had "Epic cupcake time", then "Epic Pie Time"...

and now "Epic Wub Time"?... Huh.

Granted, it is not a parody of "Epic Meal Time" anymore (well, I guess that's not a bad thing) but it's interesting nontheless. Amazing what kind of content these guys produce (well, I don't expect less from Mr. Andrew Stein aka MandoPony ).
I thought Vinyl's voice was a little bit annoying, but all the other voices were great. The animation and, uh, just the whole thing was pretty great too. (Discord was very close to the show's discord in my opinion. )
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 13:20
I read the grim dark fan fiction Rocket to Insanity. It was extremely short, but well written. I find it funny that the author used the fanfic cupcakes in Rainbow Dash's dreams in order to drive her insane. If you can handle Rainbow Factory, you can easily handle this one.

TheComet

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 14:40
About what i said before:
What if John Vasqez (dude who made Invader Zim and Johny the homosidal maniac) was the animator and creative director for MLP FIM,

Well i am big fan of Vasqez's art style and i ju8st thought it would be fun to draw ponies using his art style.

to get to the point, i am almost finished building a DIY Cintiq project ive been working for the past few days, Currentley i am doing slight modification to the LED flatpanel i have for this thing and if everything goes well i should finish building and calibrating it today. If i dont have any new insparations the first thing i want to draw on it is some ponies in Zim-art style, should be fun.

id show you guys my project but all my cameras now have dead batteries and i am too lazy to transfer pics off a cellphone or webcam, but im definatley gonna show you guys once i am finished.

For thouse interested in how to build a DIY cintiq, the concept is simple:
Get an intuos tablet (i have an intuos 4L) take off the plastic case, Find a suatable monitor panel thin enough for the stylus to detecttthe sensor board trough, (i am using a 15.6" LED screen from my laptop running off a stationary monitor board that works with the same type of flat panel, and the rest is just calibrating in case the screen isnt the same size/ratio as the sensor board. The hardest part is finding the right monitor that works well with your setup and dosent cause a lot of electromagnetic interfearence that causes the stylus to go crazy, Aso you will need to strip the monitor panel in order to flip the LCD driver board outwards since its the main cause of interfearence unless you use an flourecent tube backlighting in which case, the inverter and the lamp also may cause interfearence.

Also there is a good chance of breaking the screen in the process. I already broke 3 lol.

Google DIY Cintiq for more info, there is tons of it, with luck you cam make one thats just as good as the real $4000 cintiq since real cintiqes work off of this actual concept and are actually based on the same intuos 4/5 sensor boards. Either way building one yourself will cost you 1/3 of the price of the real one. With all the money i spent buing different flatpanels for testing (some have terrible colors, others cause too much ELM interfearence, 3 of them i broke and i have 3 more spare ones that i used for testing, I spent more money than i should have and its still less than a half the price of the real one.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 00:27
Guys, I've done it... I have begun reading Fallout Equestria. See you in a thousand years! lol

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 00:46 Edited at: 24th Apr 2012 01:27
Make sure to read Project Horizons too, and then End of Ponies, and Ponies make war and Upheaval: Breaking Point! I dunno how long these are but whenever I check EQDs Story update posts they're in there with new chapter or something... also you should read Shipping & Handling, and The Games We Play and "the spiderses" ... okay maybe not that one. (it's a silly trollfic written by the author blindly smashing his hands against the keys he wanted to press or something... well, the story obviously is bigger and 8.)

Edit: Bleh now I posted this silly nonsensical post here, and everytime I do that right after posting I have something more important I want to contribute to this thread... and then I have to throw it into an edit.

So as everyone knows the Staccato WIP is still pretty much untouched from what I posted earlier, somehow I'm never in the mood to work on it... somehow I started thinking about another "little" project and started doing some traditional art sketches/doodles on real paper instead of digital experimentation
So I just started planning things, iterating through several tiny doodles, improving the anatomy... and then I thought... why are all of these ponies only 4-5cm big. So I grabbed my sketchpad and I didn't even have much time at that moment, but I just thought... okay I'll do a big version of this now. No matter how crappy it'll look.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69014538/Foto0233.jpg
Sooo... for 10-20 minutes of sketching basically (I refined some details right now and it's still just a rough sketch... but it's not too bad, I hope? With so little time having gone into this I feel the urge to buy a pack of cheap markers and just "finish" this thing with markers or something
(Also, if you're wondering what's going on... I still need the other Mane 6 for that. Also if you're thinking something dirty, then you are a bad person. >.< But anyways this was supposed to be small. I guess I'm getting sidetracked Meh, atleast I'm back to sketching so yayzorz for that.)

... long post is kinda long? ... by the way PAGAN I totally wanna see your DIY Cintiq *completely unrelated*
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 04:50

crappy pic, the only working webcam at the moment is on the laptop to which my DIY is hooked up to, and on top of all, the laptop which took the pic of the thing, is also half taken apart and the screen keepf falling out so it was hard to take the pic. Also the DIY cintiqs screen is also not really attached to the sensor board, so i had to make sure that dosent fall out either.

btw anyone know any good softwware that lets you force custom resolutions to monitors, because the screen isnt the same aspect ratio as the sensors, so i either have to calibrate it blindly to the sensor, to see how close i can get This just ends up with edges of my monitor not being able to be acessed with the stylus, but what would make my job a lot easier is if i could force it to display on a custom resolution smaller than the actual scree so parts that arent affected by the monitor will simply be black fields on the monitors edges. less confusion and annoyance that way, and calibrating would be a lot easier as well

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 20:55
ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshOHMYGOSH!! Vinyl Scratch talks in this video! I know it's fan made, but whatever! ^-^

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 21:25 Edited at: 24th Apr 2012 22:52
That's so ooooold
Also she spoke in that "Epic wub time" video i posted earlier as well...

Oh and I bought some cheap markers today and am trying to do something decent with those... (24 markers for 5€... I think it can't get any cheaper ) The colors are pretty flashy/bright/neon/whatever and don't blend well but I noticed that if you dip them into water to dilute the color it looks much better for light things like Twilight's coat etc... I might post something later today. :3

Edit #1:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69014538/Foto0234.jpg
First try at "inking" the lineart with a cheap marker xD Hard to do fine lines with those, but I just sketched the same thing as I posted earlier in half the size as a "prototype" to see how this would look,later I'll do this properly for the A3 one. (Also this thing looks more and more "saucy", as EQD would call it, by the minute I swear the concept behind it is something entirely different... for instance she's not lying on her back but supposed to be falling downwards while catching herself in one of those magical shield aura thingies... just to prove this wasn't supposed to be dirty )
I'm leaning towards doing the lineart in black entirely, but maybe I'll test the colored outlines (like the shows style) too. But first lets see how coloring goes. :3
Oh and the upper sheet of paper is where I tested different color blends and how to smooth out the colors with water etc. trying to imagine how the color combos would look in the final product...
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 00:42
Quote: "Also she spoke in that "Epic wub time" video i posted earlier as well..."

How in the name of Celestia did I manage to miss that? Oh nothin, it's just MAH BASE CANNON!!!

Das picture du gemalt c'est pretty awesome. The hips are a bit out of proportion. Saucy or not, it has potential!

I'm at page 67 of 2038. So far the story is enjoyable.

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 00:51
Quote: "Das picture du gemalt c'est pretty awesome. The hips are a bit out of proportion. Saucy or not, it has potential! "

Danke dir very much xD
And no sauce was harmed during the prduction of this picture.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69014538/Foto0238_3.jpg

Here's the final "first test" version. I tried to correct the colors in GIMP as they were washed out in the picture, for some reason her iris color has gone missing
It's tricky to get right amount of water into the markers without soaking the paper so much that it starts to rip/peel off... I feel like this 'technique' I used (made up) is very weird
On the right side are the four colors I used. (Upper three are her mane colours, lower one is her main colour (oh god the pun. It hurts.) which I mixed into the other three at places...)

I think for a first time of using markers (and water ) it's not too bad.
~RedFlames
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 00:55
Yeah, the hips are definitely too big. Apart from that it's nice, good job!

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 01:59
Yeah I just copied that from the other version in a matter of minutes, it wasn't supposed to look perfect. I see what you mean though. I hope it doesn't look off in the A3 version too? (I posted that earlier, this one. I'm just asking because I sometimes fail to see my own mistakes... But after that photo was taken I actually made her belly/backside a little thiner too, while adding the frazzled mane and small details.)
Oh and danke again of course
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 05:28 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2018 02:13
[deleted]
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 00:35

by *kanatyanka

Tons and tons of Queen Chrysalis artworks everywhere...

@Zach:
Quote: "Post the funniest picture reaction when you saw it here"

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 01:22 Edited at: 26th Apr 2012 01:22

swis

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 01:33 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2018 02:13
[deleted]
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 02:03 Edited at: 26th Apr 2012 02:07
It IS very disturbing Did you expect any other reactions?

But what really puzzles me is how you managed to take such a blurry photo... the EXIF data or whatever you call those with the camera model in it (on dA) looks like it's a pretty expensive cam and still it looks worse than my cellphone...

[ninja-insta-edit] aka P.S.:
By the way I started 'inking' (pseudo-inking? crappy-marker-inking?) the A3 lineart of Twily and am trying hard not to go "oh my gosh oh my gosh I'm gonna ruin it with one wrong motion "... Also, I guess I'll scan the black lineart and color it digitally, I don't trust those markers to be very smooth on this large scale, and it might be a pain in the flank in general to color this with crappy markers
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 02:12 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2018 02:14
[deleted]
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 03:04 Edited at: 26th Apr 2012 03:06
Quote: "I thought someone would say it looks cute... I've seen pictures on Deviant Art where two ponies kiss like mine and for some reason mine is different and disturbing."

Okay.. hmm... I have a few thoughts about that, and will try to write that down in an understandable way hopefully (sometimes I have different things that come to mind and find it hard to seperate and describe them so that others will understand it Doing it in english instead of german doesn't help either )
First of all, you said you expected it to be cute; with two ponies kissing and all. I think there's a fine line between a cute, romantic picture that might even include an innocent kiss, and something that easily upsets people or creeps them out. Especially when the picture is about a romantic scene, because the affection between the characters should be visible and it shouldn't be shown too directly; take for example my Staccato work-in-progress - sorry I couldn't think of another example right now so excuse me for taking my own silly artwork for that - from the way CG had written the ending scene it was cute and affectionate, with the way Vinyl seems to be very innocent/naive about love etc. and it ends with a simple kiss as the last line. I deliberately chose not to depict the kiss itself in my artwork, but the moment leading up to it, to leave the kissing part to the imagination of the viewer. (I'm not even implying that I succeeded with any of it. Just how I see it, might be seen differently by different people.) And the other reason why these pics need to be handled with caution/care... these are artworks for the show MLP:FiM. A kids show about happy ponies. Of course 'we' as an adult (or adolecent) fanbase natural put these characters, to which we built an emotional bond because of how they're depicted in the show, into emotional contexts like love and sexuality (because these are strong emotions and can get that kind of... 'response' from the viewers, with the emotions etc.) but if it's done incorrectly an innocent 'shipfic' will become a 'clopfic' and an innocent pic will become 'rule 34'... which both are disturbing to most people, I think.
But I'm getting comletely off-topic here With the pic you posted, there's not really much to see in it, it's very hard to tell what's going on. But even the deviations title and it's implication is very strange to me. "Rarity's new boyfriend". We had that somewhere before, didn't we? I still think it's very weird to say the least that you think of yourself or your OC/ponysona as Rarity's boyfriend, because she is a fictional character from a TV show (which also ties in with what I mentioned above). Obviously people grow attached to characters if they're immersed in a fictional medium and genuinely like the character. But some people seem to take it a step further and start pretending/daydreaming that the character actually is their 'special somepony'. (I'm not really talking about you here even, or judging you. No offense. But I've seen others do exactly this on the german brony forum... I still think it's a bit creepy in general)
Okay and the last thing: Your art. You need to work on that. This might sound harsh, and I am very sorry, but I want to help you here. Your proportions and anatomy and all the important things to make the artwork resemble the style of the show, or look 'pleasant' in general - it has lots of mistakes in it. Obviously noone is expecting you to master the style of MLP right away, I'm still struggling with the look of certain things as well for example. This is where practice and technique come into play. (or atleast what I know about that. I'm an amateur artist myself )
Number one: you can't draw something if you have no idea what it looks like, or how to actually draw it. This is why it's important to look at other's artworks and the style of the show itself, and analyse it. Take notice of how things are proportioned, how the lines are curved in certain situations, how the body/face/etc. is constructed. Does the line width play a role in how it looks? Do the colors, shading, etc. influence the look in a certain way? Is there an underlying anatomy that dictates the look, as to not make it look inconsistent, random, weird? It's a good idea to break the proportions down into simple shapes, for example: A pony's body is the size of two heads next to each other, and the legs are the height of one head. You'll have to find out what works and what doesnt. Since I started thinking about those things and trying them myself, I do this all the time, when reading Webcomics and looking at Pony art It's very interesting to see how different artists work, once you actually start thinking about it. You could also try to mimick them or copy a certain style, and see where that goes. The possibilities are endless here. But this post is already awfully long and I have no idea where all this came from I think I just ecploded. Twice. Or something...

http://mlp-atg-alumni.deviantart.com/gallery/31073417
This gallery has lots of helpful tutorials and guides on pony anatomy and all the different aspects of drawing ponies. They helped me a lot to get started, even if my sketches looked horrible at first anyways. Sometimes that makes you want to quit, because you think "aww I'm NEVER honna be abkle to do this!". But that's only true if you give up trying. ... Okay that kinda sounds like stupid advice. But I see you're not overly critical of your art, I think. Though you should atleast look at it from far away, or close up and say "Okay, which parts of this look wrong? Where can this be improved?" Some people say mirroring the image helps you see the flaws better (or maybe that was about composition? I think it's helpful either way, to look at your own work more objectively)
There are intersting guides and tutorials about shading and how to balnce your colors, pick your palette so that it looks nice etc. ... but I still have to learn that myself so I can't say much about that

Phew. I guess that wraps up everything I had on my mind. I hope this helps you understand how others look at this (or just me) and how you can impove your art Good luck with your next project! I'm looking forward to see what you think of my advice and if it is of any use to you.

~RedFlames
[author's note: honestly, what the heck just happened I wrote a coherent, long essay about art or something. I must be going insane now. Or maybe I finally gained superpowers Also if something totally stupid happened in this post, let me know. I'm gonna read it tomorrow and see how much of it makes sense... ;[i][/i]) ]

*looks at the actual post*
RedFlames uses Wall Of Text! It's super effective! Seriously I need to add more paragraphs or something >.>
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 05:11 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2018 02:14
[deleted]
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 16:35
Quote: "I don't know what to say and I'm having a hard time understanding. I'm glad it was a bit more of a constructive criticism though. That is what I prefer either a joke or constructive negative criticism over random bashing negative criticism.
"

Yeah, I'm sorry about that I see now how I talked about something more general and not really about your picture. Don't worry, it wasn't meant to be directed all at you; I'm sorry if I made it look like your pic is some kind of horrible r34 pic, because obviously it's not.

Quote: "
To me it sounds like you think my artwork may bring about something people would masturbate to and that it breaks the fine line of a children's show.
"

That's not really what I was saying. It was more about the different kinds of artworks in 'that' area, and how other's might see these; not about your artwork. As I said, other than the kissing part there's not much more visible in your pic, so I'd say it's highly unlikely that people would clop to it.

Quote: "I mean look at the artwork of CoffeeGrunt he has pictures of him and his boyfriend kissing and the shading and the eyes don't match up with the show. "

The difference is that they are two actual people having an actual relationship and the artworks show their respective ponysonas. Taking your poysona, and saying that is you, and then having it make out with Rarity is something entirely different, and it's weird to others I think.

Quote: "Why isn't that artwork treated the same as cute as he would have his? "

I don't get what you're trying to say here.

Quote: "
Might be because its personal, but I mean come on? Also did you note that in the season finale Twilight's brother kisses Cadence on the lips? "

Yeah, so what? That was an innocent kiss between two fictional characters who just got married. Nothing wrong with that...

Quote: "I mean my OC is basically a thing I've planned to put on the show after seeing Rarity dump Princess Celestia's nephew.
"

Okay, so this is what I'm curious about. Is your OC meant to be your ponysona, meant to be you as a pony, or is he meant to be a fictional character/OC? Because to me that is two very different things.

Quote: "Well I just drew the heads from a game and I thought it would not matter if I just drew anything on it."

I'm sorry I was so harsh about your art. I was just trying to write something constructive and helpful, so you can improve your art. Because I think the reactions you might get and maybe already got are sometimes worse than what I said. But if you keep practicing and understand what you have to improve you'll learn what looks weird and what doesn't. Just try not to get pulled down by criticism, which is not easy if you put a lot of work into something; and ignore those who are overly critical or insulting. But if they're offering advice, try not to just hate them for that, but try to see what they're talking about and if you can improve on that the next time.

And I'd still like to see your next sketch. Just start with a simple pony and do some small sketches to test how different poses look, and then make a final sketch... and please take a decent photo so we can actually see something

Good luck and keep drawing,
~RedFlames
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 20:19
Quote: "To me it sounds like you think my artwork may bring about something people would masturbate to and that it breaks the fine line of a children's show. "

nope, I just dont like pairings, and OC pairings i dislike even more, just my opinion

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 21:15
I'm buying a kindle so I can read fan fics. :3

Page 100 is reached! I have read 5% of Fallout Equestria, and so far it is awesome!

TheComet

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 00:34 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2018 02:14
[deleted]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 12:01:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 12:01:13