Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dark DynamiX - PhysX Wrapper for DBPro/GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 13:03
Hey Matty how is the project doing? have you sold this to anyone yet? im really interested.

hi
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 14:20
Hi Cetobasilius,

Not for sale yet, although there will be a major update soon, I have been working very hard on this the past couple of weeks.

I am changing the limits on the free version. All features will soon be available on the free version but there will be a time limit(probably 5 minutes) and perhaps an annoying message informing you it's a trial version.

I hope this will allow people to try everything and spot any issues before it goes on sale, while also allowing me to sell a few copies when finished.

Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 17:27
Thats great! cant wait to try it out

hi
McLaine
Years of Service
User Offline
So Matty, this time limit going to apply to what was originally free anyway? Or will I still be able to use basic collision stuff for free?

It's not my fault!
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 18:32
@Matty H

15 minute to 30 minutes would be better

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 19:14
Quote: "So Matty, this time limit going to apply to what was originally free anyway? Or will I still be able to use basic collision stuff for free?
"

Good point. At the moment the time limit will be on everything. I really need people to test all the features before release. After release I may go back to the original plan of basic features for free with no other limits, it depends what people prefer I suppose.

Quote: "15 minute to 30 minutes would be better"

Ha ha, yes it would, but I need to give people some incentive to buy it

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 19:31
@Matty H

incentive you say humm

1. it runs faster than the old Dark Physics
2. it's updated and the Creator is active
3. if the user has a problem they can contact you for help
or for that matter get help
4. if DBP owners make any change's the people who buy it will get to know
it will be fixed to work with the newer version

is that enough incetive to increase the time limit ???

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 03:33 Edited at: 27th Jan 2012 03:48
The incentive is that even if the time limit was 2 hours, that would be the longest game that a developer could make. They would then have to force the user to exit and restart or make sure the singleplayer mode only lasted on average about 15 minutes, so that there was a 1.5 hour buffer for slow players. It would be really really stupid of any developer to use a plugin in a proper game if the plugin only lasted 2 hours.

I 100% guarantee that any developer that wants to use your plugin and who has the money to buy it, will buy it. If they are unable to buy your plugin then they will simply use a different plugin or rewrite their program.

Clonkex

moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 04:09
Looks promising, money waiting.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 04:50
Wow....I just bought Q.U.B.E., Space Pirates And Zombies, inMomentum and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch all in one go....what a spree....

Clonkex

McLaine
Years of Service
User Offline
It's no prob Matty, it's your baby and I would wish every succes your way.

I'm just trying to plan my next course for the space fighter and you naturally recommended Dark DynamiX. But being as I won't need the advanced stuff, and I can't spare any cash I'll have to go with some other alternative if this becomes paid.

Good luck though mate. You deserve to make some earnings so don't change your plans on my account.

It's not my fault!
Inflictive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2012 05:13
Is the paid version coming soon? I'm using dark physics and it's pretty lame the way a lot of features don't work. Luckily I got the bonzana thing so no matter how you look at it, I didn't waste any money. Also the feature of not making the end users download dlls seems pretty k00l.

Also how much would it cost?

no u
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2012 17:09
Thanks for all the good messages.

This is very close to completion now, I will update soon and it will have all the features but time limited. Hopefully people can then test it to see if they can use it in their projects, if not then tell me why not and I'll fix it or add in required feature.

I'm not sure on price yet. I will try to have the update in the next 7-10 days.

moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2012 00:19
Good news indeed

Money waiting, please just don't go over £20 or you will just have to wait a bit longer for it.
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2012 02:32
I'm can't wait for this. Can't wait for a physics engine that works. (sorry Dark Physics, but you did it to yourself)

also I think 20 USD is far. I know I would pay that. even more(though please not )

lol.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2012 03:00
Look. I know from LOTS of experience with buying stuff, that if the price is low, you will DEFINITELY end up with more money then if the price was high. So, for example, if you made the price $20, you might get 100 sales (I think you'll get more then that but this is simply an example), but if you make the price $10, you will most likely get more like 250 sales, meaning you end up with more money overall.

If it were me, I would sell it for $14.99. That was it's a good compromise with the amount of money you receive and the amount a buyer has to pay. Making it $14.99 rather then $15.00 is always a good choice as it never fails to attract an eye much more readily then does the actual price.

Just my opinion, you don't have to listen to me

Clonkex

moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2012 15:22 Edited at: 7th Feb 2012 15:33
I hope this product gets its own section like dark physics.

@Matty H. Dark Imposter, would this product work well for a 2.5D style game and with Dark DynamiX.

Also I've noticed you have added these commands which would be very useful for 2D & 2.5D games.

//-- FREEZE pos/rot
void phyFreezePositionX(int objectID, bool freeze);
void phyFreezePositionY(int objectID, bool freeze);
void phyFreezePositionZ(int objectID, bool freeze);
void phyFreezeRotationX(int objectID, bool freeze);
void phyFreezeRotationY(int objectID, bool freeze);
void phyFreezeRotationZ(int objectID, bool freeze);

Do these command give you a performance boost if the game is 2D.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2012 17:38
Quote: "@Matty H. Dark Imposter, would this product work well for a 2.5D style game and with Dark DynamiX."

Dark Imposters would work for 2.5D game but whether it is needed or not would depend on your game. If the camera is going to view objects at different angles then Dark Imposters could be useful if the object count is high, otherwise 2D plains would be faster. You could use dark imposters to turn all your 3D media to 2D and then stop updating it saving you CPU, but you would be loading 3D media which never really needs to be 3D which would be a waste. Hope that makes sense

I can confirm that Dark Dynamix, Dark Imposters and Blitz Terrain all work well together, I will have a demo soon to show this.

Freezing the positions/rotations is mainly to be sure your objects stay on your 2D plain, there may be a performance increase, it depends on how PhysX handles it, I have not tested to see.

moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 13:09 Edited at: 11th Feb 2012 10:37
Thanks for your reply there Matty H

This question goes out to anyone
In the Character Controller example on line 129 onGround = collisionFlag && NXCC_COLLISION_DOWN. If someone could explane what the && is and what it does
thanks
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 21:26 Edited at: 10th Feb 2012 21:27
I only just learned about bitwise stuff recently myself. Basically, && is the AND bitwise operator. Look, here is an example:

collisionFlag: 0101
NXCC_COLLISION_DOWN 0100

When the AND thingy is applied, the first 0 on the top row and the first on the bottom are checked, but since they are both zero, the result is 0. The next ones are both 1, so the result is 1. However, the last ones are 1 and 0, so because they are not the same, the result is 0. It's like using the and operator in IF statements.

It's a way of combining several different values into one. In this case, they don't actually combine them, they only separate. To combine the values, you use the bitwise OR operator: ||

Example:

Let me know if I got this wrong. I only sort of understand this stuff.

Clonkex

moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 10:49 Edited at: 11th Feb 2012 11:32
Hi Clonkex Thanks for the explanation any chance of more examples but in DBPro as I have never tried to understand C or C++
Forget the last request not needed now.
I found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operators_in_C_and_C%2B%2B which leads me to ask can most of these Operators be used in DBPro
I would try some out but I'm not on my main PC (waiting for new part) I'm using an old laptop for now
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 11:13
More examples of the use of bitwise operators? Ok. Let me think....I know. Note that the following is not a working example, it simply shows off the use of bitwise stuff.

Once again, tell me if I got it wrong somewhere

Clonkex

moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 11:30
thanks again Clonkex just been reading the link above in my last post
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 16:24
hey what are the diffrent kinda bitwise commands? I know of the basics like less than <. greater than >. and multiply *. but is there a does not equal, and a greater than or does equal?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 22:15
Yes.

--- DBPro ---

Equal To: =
Greater Than: >
Less Than: <
Not Equal To: <>
Greater Than Or Equal To: >=
Less Than Or Equal To: <=
Add: +
Subtract: -
Multiply: *
Divide: /
Mod: MOD
Boolean And: AND
Boolean Or: OR
Boolean Xor: XOR
Boolean Not: NOT
Bitwise LShift: <<
Bitwise RShift: >>
Bitwise And: &&
Bitwise Or: ||
Bitwise Xor: ~~
Bitwise Not: ..

Clonkex

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 01:31
oh cool. thanks! ^^

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 09:03
No problem

Clonkex

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2012 17:40
Just throwing this out there, those bitwise operators are NOT the bitwise operators in other languages.

For example, in C/C++ the '&&' is the boolean 'AND' while '&' is the bitwise 'AND'. Just keep that in mind if you change languages later on.

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2012 13:38
So, when will this go on sale?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2012 17:26
Yeah, sorry for the delay everyone.

I added some particle commands and then I got a little sidetracked.

I am putting together a vehicle demo which will also use particles, the vehicle example will hopefully become a game(WIP coming soon). My vehicle model was an .obj file so I have just wrote another obj-dbo converter, expect to see that soon as I will be sharing with everyone I also started to write a road builder for my game, a lot more still to do on that.

So, I'm not sure when it will go on sale but I will try to update this week and you will have all the features so if you plan on using it for a game you could make a start. Then any issues you come up against will be dealt with before full release.

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2012 18:06
@Matty H: Ok, looking forward to it! Tried Fullcrum, but it had a driver issue on some ATI-powered PC's, so I had to scrape it! From what I saw DarkDynamix works on them.

Gonna wait for your latest update to arrive (had a few problems with this version, mainly crashes when starting the lib).
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2012 21:15
Quote: "(had a few problems with this version, mainly crashes when starting the lib)."

Is there an error message? Does it always happen? Could I see the code this happens with(least code necessary to replicate issue)

The only time it has not worked for me is if I do not have the correct dll's in the right place.

I have only added to this, so any problem you have had may still be there, I am best trying to find out what it is before releasing update which could then include a fix if needed.

moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 02:39 Edited at: 29th Feb 2012 12:50
hi Matty H.

Do you remember saying " Also, if you are using this then feel free to keep pestering me to progress as sometimes I need a bit of a push"

So how are things progressing
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 16:25
Hi moreVD,

Good news, the next release is complete, I am just finishing off the examples. There will be 10 examples with more to follow at a later date.

I would say I will be posting update tomorrow night at the latest

Here are the commands which will now all be available in free/trial version.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 17:02
what will be in the paid version?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 17:08
At the moment the free/trial version has all features of the paid version but time limited to 5 minutes. Also, the free version is debug version only, release version will be a little faster.

I wanted people to be able to test out the more advanced features before release.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 19:57
Great stuff Matty H!

With the final (paid version) if you could have something about identifying limbs with raycast from 2d coords of mouse on screen (?) that would be great (* and save me from some nightmare code)...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 21:37
Quote: "Great stuff Matty H!

With the final (paid version) if you could have something about identifying limbs with raycast from 2d coords of mouse on screen (?) that would be great (* and save me from some nightmare code)... "

Yes, check out the 'DYN PICK' command. It is used in the soft body example. The 'PICK' commands are still a little light, I will add more commands to query the raycast and do an example, including returning a limb number.

I am updating soon, I will post back when done.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 22:02
Excellent! Can't wait to buy this.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 22:30
v0.3 attached to the first post. The executable examples are attached to the second post(file too big).

This has every currently implemented command. Let me know if you have any issues, I have included 10 examples which sounds a lot but it's really not, more to come soon.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 08:43
@Matty H

the cloth example did not tear when shot at

saying that every things worked perfectly

well the driving demo was a bit nauseating to look at

one fix would be nice not to have to include the

dll's in the project folder

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 11:40
Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been in bed sick for almost 4 days

Thanks for testing this out for me Resourceful, I can always count on you for some good feedback

I will check out the cloth example, perhaps I included the wrong one.

The driving demo is not great but its purpose is to introduce the wheel shape and how it works in the simplest way possible, there will be more advanced vehicle examples to come.

Not sure how to deal with moving the dlls, they have to be in the root directory, I did look at it once for someone but could not find a solution. When I released model-2-sprite I just created an entry point program which only purpose was to execute the actual program which was sitting somewhere else with all the dlls etc, it just kept things tidy, so I understand the concern.

Being sick has put me behind with my college work so I may have to release this next month now as I am going on holiday in two weeks which has not left me much time.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 15:03
@Matty H

sorry to hear about you being sick

I've had 2 colds in the past that lasted a month so I understand
so I know what you have been going though , at least your better now ;o)

I tried to get the program to load them into memory before every thing else

from what I can tell enough I have not gotten into the c++ stuff

"DarkDynamix_TIME_LIMITED.dll" dose not have the commands built in so it needs
the info from them and even with pointing in the DBP example to such the
answer is still no

I help ware I can

ahh ok it go's as it go's

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 19:55
Loving your work here Matty. I'm looking at physics for Carnage. I really need solid rag doll support, and running your exe demo, it's looking like you've got rag dolls working nicely. So get the full version finished!!!

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 23:04
I can't wait ^^

FYI I have money set aside for this ^^
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 16:09
@Fallout - Ragdolls do work but models set up for bone animations don't work without tinkering with the model. For a limb to work dark basic must recognise it as a limb, a simple test is to hide the limb, if it hides then I'm pretty certain that the model will work for Ragdolls.

I implemented Ragdolls very early on and will be taking another look at them after release to try to include bone animated models without messing.

@Southside Games - It's pretty much finished, just adding a few commands that slipped through the net and creating more examples.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 16:15
@Matty - There always seem to be a few workarounds needed. If you suss it out, then that'd be great, but otherwise I'd be prepared to add hidden dummy objects and all that kind of thing. I reckon I'll be getting onto physics in maybe a months time, so I'll see where Dynamix is then.

Either way, it's still good work.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 20:34
@ MattyH,

Great stuff.

Will the release (paid for) version have raycasting to limb / vertex commands?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 20:53
Hi Duffer,

We already have the command DYN RAYCAST HIT GET LIMB(). You can currently set limbs up as convex meshes and maybe triangle meshes.

I am planning on some sort of vertex solution, what is it you need to do? It may influence the way it gets implemented to suit your needs better.

My current thoughts are that you create a set of small boxes/spheres, enough to match the vertex count of your object/limb. I would then maybe add a command to sync these shapes to the vertex positions at any given time and perhaps add a special raycast command to cast against these shapes only and return vertex ID, does that sound about right?

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 21:06
I was envisioning maybe being able to move the 2d mouse cursor to whatever x,y 2d coords (regardless of position and direction of active camera) and somehow get the limb in directed 3d line back from 2d coords (if you see what I mean).

With vertices, same again but it would be great to accurately id the object/limb vertex - thinking you could use this in an object modeller to push in/pull out individual vertices etc? Not the most obvious use of this plugin i grant you but it would still be damn useful...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:47:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:47:47