Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dark DynamiX - PhysX Wrapper for DBPro/GDK

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th May 2012 00:53
hmm... never clear is it XD

Inflictive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 04:22 Edited at: 17th May 2012 05:07
Hey you should organize the help file commands into categories...

Also, in the next update the buggy demo code should be provided, just saying, that buggy was 100% more fun to drive then the included vehicle demo o.0

"This plan is so perfect... it's retarded."
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 14:09
Quote: "Hey you should organize the help file commands into categories...

Also, in the next update the buggy demo code should be provided, just saying, that buggy was 100% more fun to drive then the included vehicle demo o.0"

Good ideas, both will be addressed in the next update.

I could not include buggy demo code as there is lots going on that does not have anything to do with physics and it would be hard to learn from it, I will add an advanced vehicle example in next update, I will also post the code as soon as it's finished.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 19:58
Just a quick comment to say Dark Dynamix is working great for me Matty. Even with the variable timing setup, I have crate stacks working quite reliably, and everything feels quite robust.

So far my only suggestion is some of the commands could do with additional info in the help files which details what they require. For example, I set up my character controller and added some crates. I then looked through your examples to figure out how to move them, but couldn't get the blighters to move.

I eventually noticed the command: dynControllerCollectS-Hits(true); which is required for dynControllerS-HitGetData() to return anything. A comment in the help mentioning that needed to be turned on might be handy. Having said that, all the info I needed was in the example, so it isn't a big issue at all. I'm just picking hole for the sake of feedback!

Great stuff. Enjoying using it, and especially looking forward to the update with boned ragdoll support.

Edit: Also these commands are swear words according the language filter, hence the hyphen!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 20:07
Quote: "Edit: Also these commands are swear words according the language filter, hence the hyphen! "

ahh finally my day is complete

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 00:40
Thanks for the feedback Fallout, I will update the docs to make it more clear.

Bone animated ragdolls fully working now, just need to tidy it all up and do the examples/documentation.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 00:46
Mega! Can't wait to implement that "die" button, where my little test character goes limp, conveniently at the top of a really steep staircase with a load of precariously balanced crates at the bottom.

Andrew_Neale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 10:05
Awesome! I'm already absolutely loving this plugin and that will just top it off.

Just as a really quick test, I made a tiny example of a tower of 300 blocks where you can walk around chucking spheres at it. As well as being good childish fun, it ran incredibly smoothly, even with shadow shading on everything. Using Newton, the same demo ground to a bit of a halt, even with shadow shading off. Now I know you're just doing the wrapper and hence half the credit goes to PhysX, but the Dark Physics plugin was poorly executed enough that it was previously not an option. This plugin is already far better and you're still working on it whilst taking active requests! It has also been built so logically that half the time the help files are redundant but when you do need them they are clear and precise.

So I guess to sum up, thanks again!

Previously TEH_CODERER.
Bago
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 13:34 Edited at: 18th May 2012 13:36
@Inflictive Studios

The talk about Nvidia's Destruction, It's called Apex it's not part of physX.

http://developer.nvidia.com/apex

Though most likely not the correct area to post but I do wonder if it can be implemented into Darkbasic Pro.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 14:02
can we integrate Apex then? ito DBPro or GDK...

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2012 01:28
If apex could be integrated that would be absolutely amazing. Drooling over the idea...

DigitalFury

Get Out Alive (Zombie WIP): My latest zombie game I am working on.
s_i
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 00:32 Edited at: 24th May 2012 00:48
Please, help. I have Win7 & NVidia GTX460.
I download "Dynamix v0.3", unzip into "Dynamix v0.3" folder, run "Examples.sln",
right-click the "ragdoll" project in solution explorer and add four .lib files from "Dynamix v0.3\DarkGDK\Lib" folder,
include "DarkDynamix.h" into "Dynamix v0.3\Examples\DarkGDK\Examples\Ragdoll" folder,
start Debugging, see error "LINK : fatal error LNK1104: can not open file ''NxCharacterCHECKED.lib''".
Right-click the "ragdoll" project in solution explorer and add 6 .dll files from "bin" folder -- same error...
Then I put 6 .dll files from "bin" folder into "Dynamix v0.3\Examples\DarkGDK\Examples\Ragdoll\Debug" folder -- same error...
Then I put 6 .dll files from "bin" folder into "Dynamix v0.3\Examples\DarkGDK\Examples\Ragdoll" folder -- same error...
What to do, and how/where include this 6 .dll?
Or, maybe, problem is not in .dll?..
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 13:42
It seems I have missed out that lib for the GDK version. I have attached it to this post, just place it in there with the other libs.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
s_i
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 18:50 Edited at: 24th May 2012 18:52
I include this .lib, but instead of 1 this error I got 8 other errors (LNK2019; LNK2001; fatal error LNK1120: 4 unresolved external elements "__malloc_dbg", "__free_dbg", "__CrtDbgReportW", __calloc_dbg) and 1 warning (use /NODEFAULTLIB:library instead of "LIBCMT"). Sorry, I can not give you the exact text, because it is not in English.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 19:42
I think you need to change the runtime library from 'Multi-threaded debug(/MTd)' to 'Multi-threaded(/MT)'

You find it here:
Project -> Properties -> Configuration properties -> C/C++ -> Code generation

You will sometimes need to do this when using GDK with other libraries, even the standard string libs etc.

s_i
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 20:27 Edited at: 24th May 2012 20:33
Yes, now it works.
But I drop folder "Media" into folder "Examples" for correct ways. I had to put dlls into the folder "debug".
Is there a way to include dll files in the project so that did not have to manually throwing them in the folder "Release" and "debug"?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 20:35
Project -> Properties -> Configuration properties -> Debugging

Then set the 'working directory' to the 'bin' folder, usually something like this "../../../bin".

Do this with all projects and you just keep dll's and media in one place and all projects know where to find them.

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 10:40 Edited at: 29th Jun 2012 11:24
Can someone please explain to me how to use the "dyn get linear velocity" command.

I want to get the Y linear velocity of an object, but I'm not sure if I'm getting it right, what I'm currently using is:

velocityY#=dyn get linear velocity obj,2

Sorry if this is a mega-bump

EDIT: This is how to do it isn't it?, I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier, sorry for this post

-TZK

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 15:22
Yeah, that's right.

Anyone who has the paid version should now be able to download v1.1
It includes an obj-dbo converter app, bone animation ragdolls and lots of new commands and examples.

I think I will revert the free version back to what it was, collision and basic physics without any time limits. Let me know if anyone thinks it is better the way it is now(nearly all features with time limit), thanks.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 07:25
It was far better how it was, because as it is now, it's simply a demo, not a "free version". As it was (without the time limit), it could still be used for basic physics and was actually useful.

Clonkex

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 06:30
I think you should have a demo AND a time limited one.

-TZK

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 06:05
hey I got dynamix. but when I run an example I get a pop up saying it can't find physxloaderchecked.dll. Where can I find it? I updated to the latest dark basic.
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 12:09
@SouthSide Games
Put all the examples in the "bin" folder inside the Dark DynamiX folder, that contains all the required DLL files.

-TZK

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 13:52 Edited at: 6th Jul 2012 13:58
I remember breafly working on a project with matty I wanted to help by providing my Mfc experence. Is there a place in your program that shows more info about your product. This looks like a very cool project. I would also like to know the min specification of this program.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2012 15:51
Hi 3d point in space.

There is lots of info on the Dark Dynamix product page on the TGC site. It also shares the Physics/AI section of the forum where you will find more demos such as vehicles and ragdolls.

Or you can try it out for free by downloading from the first post of this thread, alothough it's not completely up to date yet.

There is no min specification, just do as much as your computer can handle

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 03:39 Edited at: 8th Jul 2012 05:25
matty this is the only error i get when running it looks like fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'NxCharacterCHECKED.lib' this is your demo verson of course I looked at the code though looks like it is readable. and NxCharacterChecked.lib is no where in the lib folder there is a dll though by that name. I did include it in additional directories.
Also I have a ati graphics card my other one broke

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 12:04
Yeah, I need to put that in, sorry.

If you go to page 8 in this thread I have attached it in a post near the bottom of the page.

Andrew_Neale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 22:49
Just came across what seems to be a missing (overload of a) method.
'dyn soft body detach from shape' is listed as having 2 possible parameter lists; 1 with a limb and 1 without. That makes sense seeeing as you can attach to an object or limb via a similar overload. However, the overload for specifying a limb to detach from seems to be missing from the DLL. It isn't causing me issues so there is no massive rush from my point of view but I thought you might like to know.

Previously TEH_CODERER.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 15:56
Thanks Andrew, I have added it to the fix list which you can see in the Physics/AI section.

Andrew_Neale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 16:29
No worries, and sorry, if I find anything else I'll make sure to bring it up in the right board next time.

Previously TEH_CODERER.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 11:37
Hey Andrew_Neale, I like Mass Effect too!

Sorry...had to say it

Clonkex

Andrew_Neale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 13:21
What is Mass Effect? That is actually just where I live...
Its an awesome trilogy, regardless of the ending controversy. I'm on another play through the whole set at the moment to try out the new ending DLC, but that is probably enough thread hijacking for one day. Seemed rude not to reply though.

Previously TEH_CODERER.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2012 22:39
Get the latest free version now, completely up to date(v1.11). Download from the first post in this thread(first and second for GDK users).

I have got rid of the time limit, but advanced features are not available any more. Not sure if anyone is actually using this free version? If you are then say hello, if I know people are using it then it will be kept up to date

For people who have paid for the full version, I have completed v1.11 and will be sending to TGC soon(my email is currently down), it usually takes them a week or two to create the installer depending on how busy they are, I will post in the Physics section of the forum when it is ready to download.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 03:05
Thanks.

This reminded me that I need to buy your plugin. I will try out the lite version to see how well it works for what I need. I will attempt to use it primarily for vehicle control.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 08:43
@ MattyH,

Looking to buy the full version soon. Does this have the raycasting to limb (ie. identify limb etc) and ragdoll physics ?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 12:28
The wheel shape is only available in the full version. The LITE version is a complete collision solution with rigid body physics.

It does have raycasting to limb as long as you set the limb up with physics shapes, which is what you do for ragdolls. Check out 'Carnage' to see ragdolls in action, there is also a ragdoll example you can try out in the physics section of the forum.

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

What features are available in the lite version ? I mean what is the difference between the free Lite version and the paid version ?

Does it have breakable ragdolls, blood particles and fluids as shown in the carnage video posted here -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tgc/carnage-live

Does it work with Dark GDk 2.0 RC 4 ?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2013 00:35
Sorry Juggernaut, I forgot about this. I answered your questions in the other thread you posted in the Physics section of the forum.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 13:47
Just on here to say I am now a DDYN Developer I hope this can completely replace DP, as I got so familiar with using DP...

I will try to create videos soon to aid using DDYN and other plugins soon! Any additional writers are welcome

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 12:14 Edited at: 17th Apr 2013 13:34
Hey Matty H,

You should add the Lite version to product page. Several products already do this (AC3D, Character Shop and Action3D) and if people didn't use the forum they wouldn't know the Lite version even existed.

Just a (good) suggestion

EDIT: Another suggestion: In the description for the DYN MAKE * commands (DYN MAKE BOX, DYN MAKE SPHERE, etc.), at the end of this line:

density - The density of the actor, along with its size this will determine how heavy the actor is.

add something like ", in KG/M³" (to type a superscript 3, hold down Alt and type 252, then let go of Alt). It would be helpful to know what unit the density is measured in. Also, you could write an information page on common densities to give users an idea of the ranges of values to use.

Clonkex

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 00:19
When I use Odd job I get an error. I added a photo.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 16:12
When does this happen, on start-up?

Perhaps you need the VC++ runtime on your machine?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 22:36
This seems like a great physics library from what I've seen, just purchased it the other day

However, is there any chance of getting a version of the lib files that have been compiled using Visual Studio 2010? Because as it currently stands it seems I cannot use it in my projects at all due to the available release essentially only being compatible with VC 2008 :/

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 21:16 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2013 21:17
Hmm, interesting. Is the Dark Dynamix library .NET 3.5 based or something? I thought VS2010 was backward compatible.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 21:54 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2013 21:55
Hi Rudolpho,

I did build a VS2010 version once which worked for me but the person I built it for could not get it to work, so I stopped building one.

I will look into this again, if I get it working I can probably confirm you bought it with TGC via your email and then send you a VS2010 lib without waiting for an official update.

@Chris Tate - most libs I use always have a separate VS2010 version, including AGK. So I was always under the impression that 2008 and 2010 are not compatible?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 22:14
@Chris Tate: There are some functions in the VC runtime that have been changed between the releases. As such any static library compiled with a previous version will raise linker errors if it refers to any such changed / removed functions.

@Matty H: That would be nice
I can't see any direct reason why it shouldn't work, you'd probably just have to tweak some things like inclusion order or excluding some standard libraries.
I believe my "purchasing" e-mail is still locked to webmaster [at] squarefantasy [dot] net, which is not the same as the one tied to my e-mail button here on the forums in case it comes to that.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 14:30
I have confirmed your purchase with TGC, unfortunately I do not have a VS2010 build anywhere. It must have been Dark Imposters that someone requested a 2010 lib and I got mixed up.

I will take a look over the weekend, I need to move the whole project over to a new computer.

If I am right there are VS2010 builds for GDK? I will probably need to link to them when I build the Dynamix lib, is that correct? I will presume so, unless anyone tells me different

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 18:34
Thank you for your efforts

Quote: "If I am right there are VS2010 builds for GDK?"

I think there is one somewhere on the forum but it's not official.
What I did was just download the DarkGDK source and recompile it myself using VS2010. I don't reacall there being any issues with this, if there were it was minor things that could be resolved quickly enough (like replacing an include for an outdated header with a new one).
If you prefer I can attach my home-built GDK libraries here as well. I've made some minor changes to it though, mainly its startup routine so that I can get my own code to execute before its wrapped WinMain function (thus allowing me to tell if the user needs to download DirectX before that unfriendly crash that otherwise occurs).

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 19:01
Just took a look, there are official VS2010 libs here:

GDK update, October 2010

I would need to use that one to build the lib in case of any further requests in the future. Do you think that would still be compatible with your own build of GDK?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 19:15
Oh, didn't think of that but now that you point it out I think I've seen that thread before.

Anyway yes, it should most likely work; worst case scenario is I would have to rebuild DGDK with a different DX version. At least I can do that myself so shouldn't be a problem

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:16:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:16:18