Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / In/NaGaCreMo 2012!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 10:23
I might have to give up on mine and take some time out. I had to dump a load of code and re-write it and not even properly got half way through the level editor. Its the time taking to get pre-fab 3d models done that's taking so long.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 22:03
Just keep trying!!!

The fastfood zombie killer
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 19:38
Hey Mychal, just added your link to the WIPs bit - I totally forgot about it, sorry!

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 03:24
Awesome, thanks. just got back from playing army for the weekend anyhow. I know there is more people out their with some projects, show some DEDICATION!!!!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 04:51
Argh, it's the 8th already?

I've had no time to work on my project at all. I hit a wall and while I worked around it, it just demotivated me for a couple of days and then I had work the two following days and my next week is pretty swamped...

You know, should we maybe extend NaGaCreMo to 2 months? The end of February would give me ample time to finish at least a demo of my project.

Click to go to my blog!
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 05:44
That certainly would be nice, but no complaining!!! I had to stay in the cold ass dunes for the army on my two days off, and I still managed to make myself a bear trap in blender, MWAHAHAHA

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 17:56 Edited at: 9th Jan 2012 22:48
I'm busy too with work and school. I really can't work on it but off days.

Edit: well I got some good work done on my project. the coder now has three commands to use for his will.

===================================================================
StartDsounds(slots)

Slots>>max amount of dynamic sounds

Description>>Starts Dynamic sounds. must be called before first use
positionlistener(x,y,z)

Description>> Will update the position of the listener. must be called every time the listener moves. so every loop would work.
makeDburst(close,far,maxdist,x#,y#,z#)

close>>The ID number for the sound representing the Dsound up close

far>>The ID number for the sound representing the Dsound far away

maxdist>>the maximum distance the sound can be heard. After the listener is outside this range the sound will fad out

x,x,z>>the cords of the sound

Description>> This will create a dynamic "burst". A burst will not update beyond it's creation and thus will save memory. This can be handy for things like gunshots. The sound will delete itself from it's slot when it is done playing

All I have for now

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/blobby101/bluelarge.png [img]null[/img][/img]
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 18:22
Hey, Mychal B. What's your icon from?

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/blobby101/bluelarge.png [img]null[/img][/img]
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 02:05
Sounds like your off to a good start on your dynamic sound. The icon is from celebrity deathmatch. I used to watch it a ton when I was a little kid when the parents weren't watching

Caution: Now that I watch it...It's pretty messed up, enjoy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yn-fZjoiFI&feature=related[/youtube]

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 21:27
Your right. It is very weird

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 19:45 Edited at: 11th Jan 2012 19:46
How are peoples projects coming? Mine is doing good for now. I cleaned up the code and might be ready to give out a WIP soon ^^

Does any one have a recommended file share site? MrValentine does not like mediafire and I want to use a site every one likes.

Edit>> How do I use an image for my signature?

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq345/today_only/bluelarge.png
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 19:54
you have to surround the link with image tags:

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 20:01
I've always used Filefront for larger files. Though I've not used it for a while (not had anything big enough), so I don't know what it's like these days. But when I used it, I had not problem.

Also, game is going great, I've allowed a couple of distractions over the last couple of days, but the good news is: the battle system is almost complete, just needs tweaks, a complete set of sprites made by me and the enemy AI, which is pretty much done, it just needs implementing.

The battle system takes up a massive portion of code and it's quite a lot, but it's mostly quite tidy, you'll even notice in the code in this screenshot that I've even left notes to remind me which file the particular array is in. You'll also notice that over half of the source files are in a folder called 'Battle Engine'.

The remaining code will be related to the map itself, the inventory system outside of battle and the character menu.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 21:06
Depending on your file sizes I am happy to host...

Hmm...

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 22:07
Mines going terribly slow because I've been back and forth the hospital. I'll finish it but very unlikely before the end of the month. Got some great ideas up my sleave and all the hard work has already been done...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 22:31
@ blobby

K thx ^^

@ Seppuku Arts
Sweet, that's a good way to organize. Can't wait to see your project ^^

@ MrValentine
It will just be my code with a Microsoft Word document

@ WLGfx

dang that sucks dude. I know what it's like. My sis has lupus. So she sees a lot of doctors.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 22:35
Why not just use dropbox then?

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 01:53 Edited at: 12th Jan 2012 01:56
Because I've never heard about it till right now. >.<

Looked it up though and it is really cool! ^^

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 02:09
Currently working a bit on the second level, coming along pretty good so far. I've only got one big problem right now...

player gets bombarded by waves of zombies
in between waves player does objectives
when objective complete play animation for next objective.
save after complete objective

problem: save points

if the player finally gets the first objective done and he nearly dies every wave, then it saves, how could he possibly get through the next waves? each one gets harder

Would it be acceptable for every time he dies start the waves 2 levels behind the last checkpoint?

example:
so say he was on wave 7, completes his object, dies on wave 8. He comes back to life, his progress is still saved, but is on wave 5

does that sound ok?

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 02:36 Edited at: 12th Jan 2012 03:13
Sounds like players might do a lot of cursing. But I do get what your saying. Sounds like it will depend on how long and hard a wave is.

Edit>> Hey when I make a function for my program it does not give me the plus and minus sign that lets you collapse the code in the function. Any one have an idea?

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 03:42
I didn't know that feature existed, that'd be awesome!!! And I think I figured out a option with the save points:

When the player dies:

Continue
Restart

Continue will set you back a couple levels and restart will restart the level. I think that might be acceptable

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 17:01
How is it set up? Like an arcade play until you die or a Left 4 Dead story line?

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 17:46 Edited at: 12th Jan 2012 17:48
Hmm. So I've not touched the startings of my project since like the 5th because I've been studying C# extensively. I've been learning how to develop for Xbox, PC and Windows Phone 7. Does anyone have a Windows Phone? Maybe I'll make an app for it with Silverlight and XNA.

The more I play with C#, the more I love it. It's really not that much more complicated than DBP. You just have a LOT more options and things you can do! For example, in C#, if you want something to happen when the user presses a key combination (something I could never get working in DBP), all you have to do is this....

Gotta love it!

Click to go to my blog!
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 18:34
I have no phone

As for the story line, the waves wont stop until you find all of the objectives. The longer the player takes to do everything, the harder it gets. But this is just the format for the first level. Once the player finds all of the objectives they can advance to the next level, which just so happens to be a zombie sneak level

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 19:18
cool dude. I hope to make a game for da xbox some day ^^

mmm. Maybe what you should do is give the player two options. One would be to move back a few points like you said, but keep all the cool weapons he found, and the second would be stay were he is, but drop them.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 19:32
The problem with staying where he is is that its going to be even harder now + you don't have new weapons! That is a interesting idea though, give/take to affect the outcome

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 20:01
true.... mmmm. What ever it is you should make each one have an advantage.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Awesome, thanks. just got back from playing army for the weekend anyhow. I know there is more people out their with some projects, show some DEDICATION!!!!"

Lol not that there's no progress, just haven't post it up yet.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 21:30
Keep up the work everybody!!!

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 21:53
Almost done with a wip! ^^

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 23:05
Well I've got good news and bad news. good news is I have a functioning demo and all! bad news is I want to present it in a cool(not a box in blue space) but I don't have the time to code it right now. That will have to wait. But I think you guys will really like it! ^^

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 03:47
No Fair Im not even close

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 19:54 Edited at: 14th Jan 2012 21:09

lol ^^

Remember that I'm writing a a function, not a game. so I don't have to worry about making it look good. Can't wait to see your project! ^^

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 02:36
It has a unlikely release date of.....drumrolll.......2017!!!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 02:51
Hi all... I will hopefully be announcing the release of ... tadaaadana FTP APPLOAD hopefully by tomorrow night GMT timezone time... had a weeks delay for various reasons but finally started work on the website and I should be able to show it you tomorrow as well as... I plan to give out a sample ftp account which expires by the 22nd of feb... for free usage as the account will close hehe so might as well let free users who give it a try soon a chance to try it before they get their own ftp space if they do not already have it...

A lot to say but hope you guys are progressing well... I read every post hehe

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 03:24
Why aren't my zombies trying to eat me on level 3

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, speaking of release dates I'll be releasing my NaGaCreMo WIP tomorrow the 15...

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 05:58
WEll aren't all ya all fancy. At least my level three zombies are trying to eat me now

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 12:49
Looks like everyone is making good progress... I've only just got the corridors generated and about to start on making rooms. If I carry on at the speed I was last night I might get somewhere.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 14:41 Edited at: 15th Jan 2012 18:01
Game lobby works now over LAN, now I need to get the game working.

[edit] video

TheComet

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 23:25
@ WLGfx Good luck man! ^^

@ Mychal B lol, sorry bro can't wait to see zombies though

@ TheComet

Nice, can't wait to see some game play

Well, I've made some good work on my project. Added a whole new feature! I programed the function to include doppler effect (the thing you hear when a car drives by). Also added a new set of commands for radio stuff. What that means is you can set up points of interference in a area. If the listener enters the range wail a radio is playing, it will get static interference depending on how close/far you are. still trying to get a demo together though.

Command list so far...

All I have for now

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 00:32
Just got to a point were I'm making it both PGDK and DGDK compatible with hardly any change. So a lot of research through old forums threads has helped me out. Especially with object creation. Ain't got a game yet but I will in the end... (This ain't one of then easily done in a couple of days projects I've picked :-( )

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 01:38
Off work?

At computer?

Monster energy drink?

TIME TO PROGRAM!!!!!!

I'm not gonna make a demo video for the game because I have way to much trouble trying to record it at a reasonable framerate. I'm just gonna put up a actual demo

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
just got mine up the other day, really hoping to finish it in the next week or two.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=193446&b=8

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 17:30
I won't be getting what I originally wanted done, I've been focusing more on Mystic-Mod, so I'm changing my entry (or whatever you want to call it) to getting version 1.0.5 of the mod done and out.

reauirentem
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 18:21 Edited at: 18th Jan 2012 18:24
And to think this could have been called INGAMAMO! (International Game Making Month) You have to say it like an African tribal chief
I will attempt to make something that is a small part of a project I've been thinking about for a long time.

I, OBese87, pledge to do a thing in the first 30 days of 2012.

Oh it's a basic planet colony management simulator thing-a-majig.

Join DNG today! We are a game development team open to all. Visit our Headquarters to learn more.
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 19:54
Ok then! Good luck in such a short time frame! I'll update the lists for both of you.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 05:51
Currently working on a ingame tool that will allow me to efficiently position/scale/rotate my level overlays. Good fun.

How's it going for everybody

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I just got done testing out the troop types, took about a whole week just to do this >_< now got about 10 days left, I'll probably make it. Unlike you I did not have much fun with the tester cap on, but since that's done it should be alot better. Back to programming!

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 06:59
It's surprising how hard it can be to get people to test things out for you...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 07:37:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 07:37:58