Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / In/NaGaCreMo 2012!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
That wasn't the problem, I had to test it out myself to make the proper or initial adjustments first. Afterwards others can look over it and locate my blunders.

Overall this has been a lot of fun, I might try taking up this task on a monthly basis.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 07:27
Gotcha, I don't know about you but my load times take about a full minute, which gets really annoying

The fastfood zombie killer
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 07:29 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2012 05:00
Mychal... 3DWS is solely for level and objects / entities design... but not much for interfaces... STYX Flash support maybe?

EDIT

Silly phone and silly eyes...

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "my load times take about a full minute"

WOW that's hellish long! Yeah, mine takes about 5 sec at the most to compile with 1 or 2 sec load time.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 07:43 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2012 07:45
To be honest I'm completely new to decals and overlays. The way I'm putting it into my level is creating a 2d plane, scaling/positioning properly, and then applying the texture. Just didn't seem like that would be to hard to incorporate into 3dws.

Is that considered a decal?

Sorry if my post sounded a little ignorant, but I haven't read very much about them and haven't been able to find to much documentation.

Oh, and key thing is that this is for fixed positioning like blood on the floor or drawing on the walls

@Ashingda Ahahah, yah. It gets slightly frustrating sometimes. It's not to bad though, I made some simple little tools so I can get a lot of the data I need without restarting every time. My compile time takes about 60 seconds...

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 11:54
Good to see everyone's doing fairly well! I've been having some problems with Grim, it's gonna be tight finishing in time! xD

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 14:08
Multisync is giving me so much grief... I can't transfer the map file correctly to all of my clients, and when the players move in-game they jitter around like crazy -.-

TheComet

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 14:54 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2012 14:56
Going pretty well here actually.

To do:
Menus!
Opening
Sprites
Music
Tweaking of clues & Boss fight

A remarkably short list, so I should be set to finish on time. Though I am slightly worried the difficulty of the game might be a little too high, but I guess that's what testing is for.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 20:59
I have not done a lot of new coding but more so clean up. Though I'm happy to say the function can run on it's own with as many Dynamic sounds as your ram can hold! ^^

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 21:04
OK got multisync working in my favour. Take THAT pathetic plugin!! [insert maniacal laughing]

I hope to post an update video soon

Sounds cool southside

TheComet

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Take THAT pathetic plugin!!"

Lol, glad you got it resolved.

Weekend is over things are going to slow down again for the week.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 02:21
I took an extra day off, so coming up ill have thursday, friday, and sunday off

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 05:01
darn it again... hopefully I can do some more work on my project soon and its had a rename... yet another 50 emails to plow through and now theres 25+ new forum threads to sife through...

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 16:44
My project is now almost completed. just need to add a few more commands an then I'm done! ^^

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 17:04
The heat is ON¡

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure I can pull it off with this weekend as well, not much left to do I think!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 18:28 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2012 18:28
Mmmhh, might get a bit tight. I don't think I can add mobs and bosses as requested in this amount of time I have black holes though to make up for it.

TheComet

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 18:34
I did not know you were adding your soul comet XD (slaps knee)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 19:14
Believe it or not...I'm nearly there.

To do:
Inventory Menu
Main Menu Screen
Music
Make Boss Sprite (I can prolly do that this evening)

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 01:41
I'm thinking I'm doing a pretty good job on the demo so far

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 02:14
Turns out I went back to working on WTLD instead of my sidescroller. I'm still not close to even an alpha release, but I'm getting there. Ogre/C++ with just one programmer/artist isn't exactly the fastest way to get things done.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 02:26
sweet Mychal!

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 02:42 Edited at: 24th Jan 2012 06:01
Sounds like a lot of people are close to making the goals they set for themselves. We are game making NINJAS!

Problem: in my game: To hard for people to find objectives, like combos hidden in the level.

Solution: Would it be acceptable to put a floating diamond above the objective? draw the player to it? That might detract from the game experience though. Maybe make a certain sound louder when you get closer to it? What do you guys think?

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 23:09
With everyone storming ahead with their projects and the end almost in sight I can't wait to see what comes out of this. Been wactching all the WIP threads with interest too.

My own project is coming along very slow mainly because I have almost 24/7 headaches and don't get much time to concentrate. Health issues have slowed me down lots lately but I will plow on even after the deadline.

I'm looking at seperating every corridor and room into limbs so that large levels can have occlusion culling added. That will also mean that all the dungeon decorations, pre-fabs and many other things associated with the level can be hidden to give a big FPS boost. Although I've got most of the winapi dialog stuff ready and also some more classes to build into the dungeon engine type thingy, I keep coming up with more ideas and having to re-write some parts. This is turning out to be my little baby...

The best thing that's come out of working on this project is the re-learning some maths. Trig and geometry that I hadn't really done for many years.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 23:20
@ WLGfx

Don't worry if you don't finish it. I'm impressed by your map generating algorithm and would be satisfied even if you just released a version where it's possible to walk around inside them and generate new levels.

Only 6 more days... How is everyone doing? I'm at about 85%.

TheComet

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 00:19 Edited at: 25th Jan 2012 00:24
I've had a change of hart with Dynamic sounds in the fact of creating new ones. As of now when you reach the last slot and the counter resets. if you were to make a new sound and the old one is still playing, it would override it. However people might not want that. So I'm adding a new argument to the creation of Dynamic Sounds. When done commands will look something like this DsMake(close,far,maxdist,obj,doppler,rank)

set doppler to one and the sound will have doppler enabled.

Set rank to one and The sound cannot be overwritten and must be removed ether by the sound playing out,, or in the event of a looped Dynamic sound must be deleted using DsDelete(slot).

I also added behind the scenes code in updates. if an object is deleted that a dynamic sound was attached too it will delete the sound as well. saving you from doing it. I also coded it to clone sounds. this way if you have something like a car crashing, you won't get that "skip" as the sound restarts. It also means you just have to load reference sounds just once and Prevent DS from playing around with the same sound

I'd say I'm about 90%. Just add the rank thing And a few more commands and I'm done

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 01:40
If a sound needs to fade out then just deleting it when you're deleting an object would cut it short. Will you be needing to fix that if you come across it?

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 01:59
I'm quickly whipping something up in DBP. Just a quick editor showcasing an easier way to develop levels for "RoboCubez" like I was planning on. Although the more I tinker with the idea, I'm not sure how I could put puzzles into the editor and still have the actiony/adventure feel of a casual platformer. Hmm, I really need to sit down with pen and paper and figure this out.

In the meantime, the editor will just be a quick demo showcasing, as I said, an easier way to make the levels. It's not worthy of a WIP thread so I'm not making one.

Click to go to my blog!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 03:28
I too am sitting on the 80-90% placement... I have redesigned the logo... web-site and for the time being designed a kill off mechanism to kill off old versions and request the user to return to the website to download the latest edition... this is temporary as I am still trying to get used to Smart Packer Pro...

I have a request for a mod to change the name of my WIP please...

Also if Blobby 101 if I could ask you to adjust my project title too

I am keeping the name change a surprise for the moment

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 05:31 Edited at: 25th Jan 2012 05:32
I feel I'm at about 85%, work days dont give me much time. Should wrap it up in the weekends. I made alot of adjustments since last demo release.

[Edit] Hey Blobby you haven't add my WIP to the list.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 17:51 Edited at: 25th Jan 2012 18:27
NaGaCreMo 2012: Goal Reached. (warning, contains bad language) Hopefully nobody finds any bugs or mistakes on my part.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 18:11
Well done, Sepp! Our first winner Filefront is telling me that the download is unavailable though?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 18:22
Odd, it's been ages since I've used FileFront, so I don't know why it's unavailable.

Alternative download in my thread.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 18:50
Quote: "Odd, it's been ages since I've used FileFront, so I don't know why it's unavailable."

FileFront and a few other sites have disabled file sharing because of what happened with MegaUpload.

"I am a game making juggalo so ha"
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 22:00
Guess you should not steal media then sucks for us though.

@ WLGfx

If I understand correctly your saying the sound should fade out?

I thought about that, but I figured that if someone deletes an object then they are done with it and it's already played it's dieing animation. Not to mention like say an alien dies you would have started playing the dieing sound anyways, covering it up.

@blobby

There's gana be winners!? D: if I knew that I would have rushed for the gold! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo.......

lol

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 22:07
Yeah broken my heart now lol... I was technically finished on sunday night...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 22:29 Edited at: 25th Jan 2012 22:30
I think he means winner in the sense if you hit the finish line you're a winner.

Like in NaNoWriMo anybody who hits 50,000 words is a winner.

[edit] Posted at same time

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 22:29
Nonono, you win if you complete it Anyone who finishes is a winner, like NaNoWriMo.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 23:13
lol ^^

It's weird that even though all you have to do is finish everyone is still not going to win

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 01:12 Edited at: 26th Jan 2012 01:12
Well, I'm almost on track to finishing the 3d model of the generated level. I've added an extra to the algorithm which allows the rooms to have 'doorways' assigned to the data which can be also used maybe within a game.

Just got to fix my edge sorting code, then UV map the walls so the texture will appear perfect as in my V3 of the algorithm. Once that's done then it's just throwing in the 1st stage of the dialog to edit the basic map data settings.

So that means I'll have at least something finished soon...

Here's a preview of the 3d model from above, incomplete as of yet, but it gives an idea (approx 20 bytes of data to setup):

Each room and corridor will eventually have their own seperate textures and decorations.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 01:39
Hey I notice the bar for the window is very windows 95. care to tell the class?

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 01:46 Edited at: 26th Jan 2012 01:47
lol... It's just saved out as an 8 bit png file from paint.net and I forget to set the dither on the image...

I'm on Windows XP with the classic view... (Need as much speed on this laptop)

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 03:33
@Sepukku:

I can't run Abeyance because I don't have an NVidia Card with PhysX. This makes me cry tears of sadness!

Click to go to my blog!
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 05:47
Same here

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 08:30 Edited at: 26th Jan 2012 08:31
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/physx-9.11.1107-driver-uk.html

this is all you need guys... it falls back to software [CPU] mode if you do not have the hardware...

EDIT

Blobby can you change my project title to APPLOAD. drop the FTP bit...
And can a mod please change my thread title too¿ please

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 11:00
I'm running Intel GMA so you don't need an nVidia card with PhysX, the actual PhysX drivers you need aren't easy to find, so I'll prolly provide a link on my website...just like the one DrV has posted right there.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 11:02
Hmm... Dr... ^^

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 19:34
Ashingda, i've added your WIP to the list now! Sorry about leaving it so long, I missed the link at the time!

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
No prob and thanks Blobby.

The weekends are here, heck yes THE GAME IS ON! Going to wrap this thing up or respawn trying.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 15:55
Im going to rush my final I have to skip implementing a free tester account though and setup the free app to just use their own accounts...

Can a mod please rename my thread for me¿...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 10:59:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 10:59:56