Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK 2 Official Development Blog

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 01:28
I have seen many-a-pointless-posts on this forum, however that one takes the biscuit...

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 01:37 Edited at: 11th Aug 2015 01:43
@Mr valentine,

please explain how going more toward standars like unity and godot (in its design) would be pointless for AppGameKit to not live only from its fans. Edit:as far as i am aware, i could be using yoyos engine without code and be more productive with it if i were a 2d designer.

Animals
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 01:44
It was more to do with you pointing out, [I WILL NEVER USE THIS BUT I WILL STICK AROUND ANYWAY] at least that is the impression I got from your message... nobody is asking you to stick around... I am tired of someone coming on here and suggesting 'Hey! Go use XYZ'... I would love to see you do the same on the Unreal engine forums... have fun oh and do link us to the thread when you do

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok! I understand. Anyway,just to clearify,i used other engines as exemples to make my point. As said before,i would love and support AppGameKit just like i did with darkBASIC, but it seems to not want to pick the right choises from my point of view.
i didnt mean to put it down, input is input for good or worse.

Animals
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 02:10 Edited at: 11th Aug 2015 02:13
Here let me show you how to say what you meant to say...

Personally I myself [me not you]...

I am moving into C#.NET but only thanks to my experience with DBPro was I able to find the confidence to approach C#.NET... however DBPro will always remain for the foreseeable future my go-to prototyping solution, but AppGameKit may very well take its place at some point, so no rush guys, perfection in a cake* is hard to achieve

Hope that helped

[*Not a Portal reference]

EDIT

ERR Not all games are destined to be 2D, My only reason for being interested in AppGameKit over competition is because I knew at some point AppGameKit would have 3D capabilities, unlike the competition, sorry but having a mind-set of 'I only need 2D' is... I need not say it to be honest...

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 03:54 Edited at: 11th Aug 2015 04:12
I got your point. I guess as a non native english speaker sometimes the words comes different out.

i myself am a supporter of "pick the engine that fit your needs",althought i see the potential in AppGameKit for mobile having the advantage of BASIC,the only human lenguage.
but as you mentioned,is good for prototype and to climb toward higher lenguages,as was your case with DBP,althought my point is,it hasnt to be that way and with 3d,TGC should think about implementing an editor more unity like,something exactly like GODOT. That will atract non programmers as well,increase sales,the community and development. Its all about the right choises. Tiny tools for fast happy bucks isnt a future concept as their other tools show us. One tool to master them all is one,there is no other in this field of BASIC anyway and i am not talking in bringing it at the level of unreal,its not needed for mobile,be it 2d or 3d (mostly) .

I guess i stop here, just wanted to give my point of view.

Animals
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 03:58
Quote: "TGC should think about implementing an editor more unity like. "

Not meaning to poke more fuel but haha, you need to remember Unity 3D likely has ^20 more people working on it compared to TGC, reality is a

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 04:20 Edited at: 11th Aug 2015 04:52
All because tgc failed to make the right choises. They only concentrated in the programmers and left artist aside (althought potential buyer ), more fields,more interested people, a reason why i as a user bought 3d gamestudio back in 2006. This are in fact engines for indi-developers and the main task should be to atract all the fields while making it very simple to archive things. (Like materials,drag and drop over an editor)

I understand their team is very small and the task to translate to basic is big enough. I am thinking more of what would lift up this engine (besides of the failing 3d features)so it dont end like its brother DB,as this isnt about the best mind blowing graphics(we are talking about handy and tablet games),but rather the way it aprouch the tasks to be done and giving designers also a seat,otherwise i dont think this engine will have a bigger,longer future.

anyway,i guess its not the best to flood this thread anymore with my points.

Have a good night

Animals
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
For people who want to plop in 3d assets, assign scripts to assets and just move around a level to test, isn't there GAMEGURU?

AGK is for the CODER who likes to type in code by hand. This is how we used to do games. Not like the kids are doing these days with Unity World editor.

Maybe TGC can build asset editors ON TOP of AGK. but they should always leave the option to code by hand
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 19:21
@bjadams - I agree with you buddy! AppGameKit suits me nicely. I haven't yet taken advantage of all the existing features so don't mind the slow pace of development.

Quote: "the advantage of BASIC,the only human lenguage."
I can think of lots!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
The night coda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 19:33
@Dark_ITheI _Angel your so missing the point of AppGameKit but I think I can see why, your an artist so you have a build in need to see what you are creating and validate it looks like you imagened, who AppGameKit is mostly for is the programmer some one who likes to read code understand why somthing dose what its doing.
So going on from this AppGameKit will never be right for you but that dose not mean you should not put it down I would suggest you team up with someone combine your artistic talents and someones coding skills to not only get somthing artistically wonderful but technically brilliant, then when you maid loads of money come find me and give me some for this golden ticket in game production.
And remember Roam was not built in a day to get somthing that works well and achives what everyone needs it take a long time

coding at night always and forever
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 19:42
Hehe.. I thought "The night coda" was a play on words! That's a very good point though. Play to your abilities. Personally, I'm great at everything (which is why I never have the time to do anything! Lol).

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 11:38
Hi Paul,
On May 18th Scraggle posted some very useful string additions in the Showcase section, not sure if they got missed. These are a must have and should be included in the core commands at the next update or as soon as.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 19:19
An update to the blog has been posted, see the first message in this thread.

Development Director
TGC Team
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 21:22
Interesting, good job thus far! now for the physics!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2015 13:51
New Blog entry posted at the top of the thread. Check it out because there's a great new video showing boned animations working!

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2015 14:45
RickV - Very Nice!

How are you getting along with Character Controllers?

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2015 15:18
Oh man! Great progress-update vid Rick! If you need testers, I'd be happy to volunteer.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2015 20:39
Man, imagine doing a physics sandbox and running in on Oculus Rift with a motion tracking controller.

Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2015 03:37
WOW!
Great progress and it's looking awesome!

I can't wait for it to be available for download (alpha, beta or "it just compiled")

It's late, I'm tired, out of coffee and now I'm wet.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2015 12:17
Is there a list of upcoming new commands anywhere?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2015 10:47
Quote: "(alpha, beta or "it just compiled")"

lol

--------------------

Very nice demo, Rick! Good presentation, good content

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2015 12:37
Paul is away this week. I'll get a list of commands from him when he's back. Same for the Physics.

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2015 16:42
This next update is going to be well worth the wait.

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
AGK Community Tester
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2015 18:16
Quote: "This next update is going to be well worth the wait."

That depends on how long the wait is!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2015 00:07
And how about the Android immersive mode (real fullscreen) in Tier1 ? I know that Paul have tried to do something (change API 19 to 21) but with no real success.

I actually work on CardBoard VR App and i really need fullscreen (and not only for this !). For the moment i use an android app named "GMD Full Screen Immersive Mode" to allow fullscreen for apps that don't support immersive natively.

--------------
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2015 02:36
Quote: "And how about the Android immersive mode"

+1

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2015 02:56
I know how busy these guys must be, however I hope there'll be a few bugfixes in with the next update. There've been a few (some I've posted myself). I'm a little concerned that these bugs which have been identified have now scrolled off the first page of the forum.

Having said that, the new 3D stuff looks amazing!

- James (Wanting to have his cake while eating it too)
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2015 14:16
Quote: "Paul is away this week. I'll get a list of commands from him when he's back. Same for the Physics."

Did the command list get published anywhere?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Sep 2015 21:27
Can we please get word on whether or not AppGameKit will continue to be supported on Linux? And related, can we please get the GetRawKeystate() command sorted on Linux?

It would be really nice if you guys at least let us know what you have planned for AppGameKit on Linux, instead of letting us dangle hopelessly in the thread over here.

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 00:23
The advancements to the 3D support is looking fantastic. I'm really excited about this update.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 01:36
Quote: "Can we please get word on whether or not AppGameKit will continue to be supported on Linux? And related, can we please get the GetRawKeystate() command sorted on Linux?
"

i noticed in the downloads section its at 2.0.14b
is it still broken in there? id say they still plan on supporting it... its come too far to just drop.

www.sheldonscreations.com
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 14:02
Hi, I have posted a new update at the start of this thread.

Linux will still be updated as a platform yes!

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 16:13
My faith in AppGameKit has been restored!

I thought that the new 3D commands would mean that everything else would get overlooked but the new string and tween commands (and fixes) and the new log command are an absolute Godsend!!!

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 16:15
thats allot of new commands!

thanks for the info rick :p

www.sheldonscreations.com
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 16:20
Quote: "Hi, I have posted a new update at the start of this thread."

Thanks for the info Rick, The Future Update is looking HUGE! So many new things / fixes...Yall have been busy! I'm really looking forward to all this for future projects.

The next month is going to be really long...Its going to be like waiting for Christmas.

Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I am so looking forward to the next build!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 18:50
Quote: "* Added commands to create a custom tween with up to 4 float and 4 integer values, and read the values as it is running"

Nice, thank you

Quote: "* Fixed CreateMemblockFromImage not working on render images on Android
* Fixed render images becoming blank on Android when an app is sent to the background"

..and makes my current project publishable

Quote: "static float Log( float a );"

...not to be confused with Log( string s) which is a completely different command!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 19:23
Quote: "Linux will still be updated as a platform yes!"

Y'all just made my day!

I guess the GetRawKeyState bug was just too small of a bug to release a single update/fix for, makes sense. Most everything else about AppGameKit works on Linux except for that little hiccup.

Woo now I can't wait for the next update!

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 21:54
Exciting update! In addition to all the 3D stuff, the string commands look very useful.

Cheers!

James
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 04:19
Wow, freaking awesome!! You guys are doing a brilliant job with AppGameKit! I feel the DBPro era coming back to life

All those string commands remind me of when I first got the Matrix1Utils plugin for DBPro and was amazed at how much simpler my life was.

Great work!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 12:27 Edited at: 13th Sep 2015 12:28
I'm a bit confused by the addition of these two commands:
CompareString
CompareStringIgnoreCase

These three all have an IgnoreCase parameter:
FindStringCount
FindString
FindStringReverse

So why not do the same for CompareString? It seems a bit odd to have an entirely separate command with IgnoreCase in the keyword.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 15:22
Quote: "So why not do the same for CompareString? It seems a bit odd to have an entirely separate command with IgnoreCase in the keyword."

I agree.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 16:01
I actually prefer the command which explicitly includes the ignore case in the command. It more closely matches other languages like Java and .net.

janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 16:15
Great update!

But, (and i'm sorry to say that at this point) I'm missing the Vertex manipulation commands:
Set/GetVertexdataPosition
Set/GetVertexdataNormals
Set/GetVertexdataUV
Or
CreateMeshfromObject
CreateObjectFromMesh

We can add physic based polygon objects to our scene now, but cannot make our own?
I just waited for so long for it, I have to say something
Please make it happen

Using AGKv2 Tier1
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2015 00:39
Quote: "I guess the GetRawKeyState bug was just too small of a bug to release a single update/fix for"

I had a quick look at that but it appears it might be an OS issue, someone reported something similar happening to Java https://github.com/libgdx/libgdx/issues/645, I'll have to wait until I bring the Linux version up to date to confirm.

Quote: "It seems a bit odd to have an entirely separate command with IgnoreCase in the keyword."

I considered having them as one command with a parameter, but I prefer the descriptive command name so you know what you are using, rather than looking at some code and not realising whether it is case sensitive or not without reading the parameter list. The FindString commands got a parameter because there would be too many FindString commands to do it the same way.

Quote: "I'm missing the Vertex manipulation commands"

They're on my list, although I'm thinking of doing everything through memblocks. So you'd use CreateMemblockFromObjectMesh, modify the memblock, and then SetObjectMeshFromMemblock, since changing the vertex data will have to regenerate the entire mesh anyway. Then you can also do CreateObjectFromMeshMemblock to create a new object directly from a mesh memblock.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2015 02:26
Is anything happening with shadows?

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2015 04:24
Quote: "CreateObjectFromMeshMemblock "

Hope memblocks get sorted with a speed increase e.g. CreateImage from Memblock being slow.

Also the issues with render images on Android.

How about a direct use image from memblock for a sprite?

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2015 09:05
Quote: "I considered having them as one command with a parameter, but I prefer the descriptive command name so you know what you are using, rather than looking at some code and not realising whether it is case sensitive or not without reading the parameter list. The FindString commands got a parameter because there would be too many FindString commands to do it the same way."

It's a shame to have a lack of consistency. It would be much better to choose a method and stick to it otherwise we will be constantly trying to remember "is this a command with the ignore case parameter or the ignore case keyword?".

It will be like going back to DBP and all the inconsistencies in that (create/make) being one the jumps to mind.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:14:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:14:15