Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Community FPS Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 17:59
Ah, the Mac 10 looks cool ingame. I noticed that there's a collision problem on the bridge (but it's only on one side...) and the tall stack of boxes has messed up collision (the boxes are linked when they are shot).

WindowsXP Professional, Pentium 4 DualCore 2.8GHz CPU (64bit), 1gb DDR2 RAM, GeForce 7800GTX, SoundBlaster X-Fi (7.1)

Milkshape 3d, Ultimate Unwrap 3d, CharacterFX, Photoshop CS
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 01:09 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 01:10
hey! the game worked great for me... (unlike the one i tried awhile back )

only problem i found was a missing (or reversed) polygon here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/DarkWing_Duck/missing.jpg

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 01:30 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2006 03:47
looks preety cool

i wish i could make a game like that

well n e way

i finaly textured the stupid smg from a while back, and if u need it ask me

don't mind the green, its surposed to be black or grey with something on it , but i got lazy

Pictures taken of because u weren't surposed 2 c it

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 01:40 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 03:25
I'm stupid

formerly xMik
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 01:42
xMilk, for the 5th time... press space...

Nobody can ear you scream ... you're on a forum!
Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 01:50 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 03:24
didn't read all the posts, sorry

edit:
looking pretty good

edit2:
has this issue been brought up yet?

if so, just ignore this post

formerly xMik
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 03:57 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 17:33
No, not that i know of, I found a very similay bug shooting out of a window. Is it a mesh problem? I could go throuh the level and delete hidden meshes if needed.

The demo looks good though, Lol i like the mac10/11 gun sound, that was ment as a out of ammo sound but it seems to work fine .

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 04:03
are you guys going to come out with a normal demo. i meen one like were you dont have to put everything in the same folder.

Check out my site!(unfinished)
http://www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie/
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 04:05
DB newbie...
are you too lazy to move files into another folder?

Nobody can ear you scream ... you're on a forum!
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 04:07 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 17:33
@Db newbie.

Lol i hope when our offical demo comes out you won't need to do all this nonsence.

Hmm i've seem'ed to forgotten how to make my sig come up, Can any one help? this is what i got:

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 04:16 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 04:16
the partical effects are asome.

[href][/href]

if you click on the pic it is better looking!

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 04:34
what is wrong with this.

[href][/href]

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 04:36
@proffesor you need to add [img]
to the end of your sig. or just go to imageshack and try it.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 12:18
Learn to use the edit button.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Snipa Masta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 16:50
Xmilk, I don't think it has. I was going to bring up this though:

WindowsXP Professional, Pentium 4 DualCore 2.8GHz CPU (64bit), 1gb DDR2 RAM, GeForce 7800GTX, SoundBlaster X-Fi (7.1)

Milkshape 3d, Ultimate Unwrap 3d, CharacterFX, Photoshop CS

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 17:31 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 17:39
Quote: "@proffesor you need to add
to the end of your sig. or just go to imageshack and try it."

DB Newbie, Im not realy sure what you mean..

Edit: Lol ok now it works:

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 17:47
I've got a beautifull silent crash when I start the game .

Quote: "m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=Internal Code:0
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=7549"
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 17:52
when i run it it says loaded all the various functions() about 10later it says entered main loop() then just hangs doing nothing, i left it for 5mins but still noting.

Halowed are the ori.
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 17:57
Did you install it correctly?

1. Download the "BlackoutDeathsTest.rar"

2. Download the updates (BlackOut_EXE_19-2-06.rar, BlackOut_Media_19-2-06.rar)

3. Extract the downloaded files.

4. Go under the Blackout Deaths Test folder.

5. Delete the Media folder inside.

6. Replace it with the updated media folder. (In the BlackOut_Media_19-2-06 rar file)

7. Copy the exe found in "BlackOut_EXE_19-2-06.rar" And copy it into the "FPS Second Build" folder. Click yes when it askes you if you wish to overwright the existing file.

If you've followed my directions it should work.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 17:58 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 18:01
yeah sorry, my ability to read the press space to enter loop skills seem to have failed

[EDIT] ok new prob, im on a japanese computer so the extra key layout is rather different and your current console command apparently isnt on my keyboard, tomorrow ill see if i can run the code and edit it from there.

Halowed are the ori.
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 17:59
Lol Thats funny!

Its ok though.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 18:25 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 21:49
DC - I'll add a new task to the to-do list. Key cofiguration!

All these invisible faces are a mesh problem. If someone could delete them all it would be handy.

Sorry for the divided media files, these are simple the up to date parts of the project, so it's easier to keep them divided, so people don't have to download the media again every time the exe changes slightly. The 'official' demo will be in one file I should think, sorry for the inconvenience.

Math89 - What are your specs? I want to investigate these silent crashes.

Alpha Zero - Yes please, send it this way, upload it to the new site preferably, then it'll be immediately accessible to everyone, and not just me. And also, you are making a game like that . By creating all these cool weapons to be used to make the game . Keep up the good work.

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 21:59
AMD Duron 1.80 GHz
512 MB
GeForce FX 5700LE 128 MB

I've got all the files from the last update.
This Games Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 00:21
hi,
i dont know if anyone came across this problem....

click for larger view
I can not remember what I did to make this happen,

hope this helps solve any problems
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 02:06
i'll send it later, i'm adding the scratches n stuff

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 02:26 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2006 02:28
I'm just wondering how the multiplayer side of Black Out is handled. Is the player position/velocity data for each player sent to all clients, or is the actual acceleration of each player calculated on each client computer? I'm not exactly sure if the former method would work correctly with Newton, but with the latter, won't a player's position eventually go out of sync with his position on another client's computer? I may be talking total nonsense here, and there may be a better way of doing multiplayer that Black Out currently uses, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyway, has Black Out's multiplayer functionality been thouroughly tested yet? Thanks in advance

formerly xMik
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 03:13
I'm currently working on a set that actually fits together, here's a couple of snippets -

action 'n blowning stuff up
ninja time

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 03:29
ok last prob i cant install torreys scripting plugin cause i never installed dbp on my pc i just copied the folder from my old pc, so any chance someone can upload the dll?

Halowed are the ori.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 09:02
This Games Guy - If you looked at previous posts, you'd see this has been reported 3 times before, and also I knew it was a problem ages ago, so no problem .

Hawkeye - Will listen to later.

xMilk - Will Explain later.

DC - Take a look on the Wiki for 'plugins'. There is a link to the thread with it in.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 09:39
Quote: "ok last prob i cant install torreys scripting plugin cause i never installed dbp on my pc i just copied the folder from my old pc, so any chance someone can upload the dll?"

I'm fixing this in the newer setup files by providing an install folder selection. It should be another day or two before I have a Blackout version ready, after which I will show it to Hamish for approval before he replaces that buggy old version you guys have.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 13:24 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2006 13:58
@hamish i said i never installed dbp on this pc which means there are no registry value for it thus i cannot inslla the plugin using torreys auto installer, and torrey when you release the newer ver can you also make a manual install ver? otherwise ill be forced to find my dbp disc which is actually upstairs so ya ill just install it.

[edit]ok installed every plugin ran the fpsmain.dba and it kept throwing up errors on lines that i couldent see so i gave up.

Halowed are the ori.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 16:01
Dark Coder - I thought torrey did have a manual install version? Also, what errors did it throw up? I can't do much to help unless I know what the problems are. DBPro isn't very good at picking the right line for each error, the errors are usually about 10-20 lines out, which is a pain, but it does give the code that is causing the error.

You say you ran fpsmain.dba, do you mean you ran fpsmain.dbpro? Because if you just open the main source file, none of the other files will be included, which would be an obvious reason for it failing.

xMilk - The player's position and velocity is sent to all players, by the player, at regular intervals. This way the players won't go out of sync. The multiplayer at the moment is a bit broken as I changed some code to allow large levels to be loaded while connected to a server.

The basic multiplayer code has been tested several times, and I don't believe that any major problems have appeared, though there is still much to be developed in terms of multiplayer functionality. It is also one of the most frustrating and time consuming parts of coding in this project (grrr! stupid multiplayer bugs, I hate them).

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 18:18
right, yeah i meant .dbpro the error i get is "#100007 Variable 'max' name is not valid at line 7006"

Halowed are the ori.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 18:27
That's the same error Benjamin had. It's because it is a function in Matrix1Utility. I changed the code to maximum rather than max. By the way, incase you did the same as Benjamin, the plugin needed to compile is Matrix1Extend, not Matrix1Utility (but then you may have already had that plugin). I have re-uploaded the code if you want to download it. It has a few extra changes as well as that variable change.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 18:59
'could not understand command at line 2933'

i have all the corrent plugins to the best of my knowledge, latest dbp made sure i have matrix1extended made sure i loaded the fpsmain.dbpro did i miss a step?

Halowed are the ori.
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 19:18 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2006 20:05
@Hamish,

Hey ill edit the casbah level, but i cant open .DBO format so if you can convert it to .x or somthing ill go through and edit.

Also let me see what i can do to make the mac10 sound more like a gun and not a capgun .

Edit: Ok ive looked at the mac 10 and i dont think i can realy do anything with it, But i did edit/improve other files

I edited the Springfield and made another footstep (based off the 1st one. See attached files

Attachments

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 01:53
hey guys i have a weapon pickup idea ok here it is on the download thing. maybe it would be better than having a glock as the pickup

and have one for each gun.

Attachments

Glog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 10:25
hi there , got a bad new , i got somekind of grave health problem , i'm tired all the time and i got to focus myself on my studies right now

so i can't participate to this project anymore

i'll post all the things i finished tonight
- woman model
- grenade launcher texture and mesh
- swat fully rigged and skinned

you guys can easily animate things with blender because everybody can have it and learn how to animate.
who was the person that wanted to rig the hand ? i'd appreciate it
i'll keep an eye to this project and maybe i will be able to help more in june!

A program is sensed to be a conventional mean to give orders to a computer and not being obscure,weird,and full of traps ,that is closer to magic stuff (Dave Small).
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 21:24
dark coder - I don't know what part of the code it is. Compile the project again, tell me what line it says is the problem, and copy the entire error message from the editor. Also it'd be good if you could upload the FullSourceDump.dba from the DBPro directory 'TEMP'. That way I can look at the line in question, and the code surrounding it.

Prof - Nice! The mac11 (not 10 apparently) sound is only temporary, I think I found it in the DBPro media folder. The noise is nicely taken off of the sniper sound (I think it will fit with the large sniper better, the springfield looks like it would make a quieter sound). That new footstep sound is a lot better than the last one too!

DBNewbie - Next time, rar (www.rarlabs.com) the exe, the rar'd exe is 2.4 megs rather than 7.4. But ok, I was wondering whether to have floating type pickups, in fact I posted on the website forum asking everyones opinions, but only one person responded. Maybe we should go for a floating style pickup, that can also be shot and moves across the floor?

Glog - Sorry to hear you're not so well, obviously take the rest you need, and concentrate on exams. Thanks very much for all the help you've already given, I'm looking forward to seeing the stuff you've produced. I will try and learn animation in Blender, I was going to anyway. Hope you get well soon, and I do hope you come back in the future (when you're feeling better of course ).

Essence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 21:55
OMG!!

This is the best WIP Project i've seen!
Keep up the good work!

@Hamish McHaggis: I'm currently working on a 'Descent' style-game. Do you bother if i use that ConfigParser thingy that you guys use in this project? I'll use my own commands and stuff though.
If you're ok with it, i'll put the name (of the guy that wrote it) in the credits... Still not sure who actually wrote it...

First DifNiX -> now EvaX.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 23:44
i cant look at the full code dump cause it doesnt compile.

when i compiled this time i got "parameter for 'cam_setposX' do not match float at line 221"

Halowed are the ori.
Essence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 00:28
there should be a temp.dba file, thats all the sources together right? try to compile that one

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 03:05
Quote: "i cant look at the full code dump cause it doesnt compile."

Halowed are the ori.
Essence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 04:28
Nah, i see what you mean, but you think i'm stupid

When you download the archive of the sourcefiles from the website, there is a file called "temp.dba" in it... It's in the same map as all the other .dba files.

Open that one, and compile it.
So DONT try and search for that thingy that dbpro creates.

Dark Angel_1246
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 07:23
I’m having a similar problem when trying to compile the code, as dark coder does/did.

During compiling I get an error message saying "could not understand command at line 2933" this occurs in the material.dba at line 415,(errormessage "Cannot find materials file") I tried excluding this line and I get the error "could not determine parameter type............" at line 432 in the material.dba file.

I have all the dlls installed at directed, I’ve got the media folder in the correct location, and so on. I downloaded the exe. File and placed it in the black out code folder and ran it, and it played fine not a single problem. P.S very impressive.

got any ideas about why this is occuring.

Dark_angel
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 08:16
yeah srry thought you meant the full cource dump :p.

anyways i tried to run the code and got the same error as stated there ^, so i commented out that line and another error message line, then it finally compiled then i got an error @line 1808 says sprite doesnt exist, how can you people get away with making code like this

Halowed are the ori.
Essence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 14:05
@dark angel1246 : be sure to put newton.dll in the same directory as the sourcecode. And be sure that youve got the latest netwton physics wrapper installed.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 14:08
i have

Halowed are the ori.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 17:51
http://www.gamersol.co.uk/BlackOut/Website/index.php?option=com_jd-wiki&Itemid=35&id=download_blackout:download_project_files

New code uploaded. It turns out that I left some commands in that are part of Blue GUI (I use them for easy testing), so I took them out. It also appears that you lot use the default editor, but not the latest version (the one that supports line concantation with '_'), so I have tried to find any lines using concantation and merged them (making them ridiculously long I might add). I then took the bgui dll out of the plugins folder, changed the concantation symbol to ~, and successfully compiled in the default editor. I now can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to compile (I don't think I am using any more plugins I haven't listed).

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 19:40
"Could not determine parameter type of 'audio exist(x)' at line 917"

I'm running u5.9, what about you? Might be a problem there if you're using an older version like 5.7.

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 00:32:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 00:32:30