Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Community FPS Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 18:13
@Hawkeye: Good stuff.

@TDP Enterprises: Thanks lol, i was shooting for me but didnt come anywhere close , Lol j/k.

@Hamish: Uhm, Could you send me those concepts? or did you through them away already?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 18:26
Umm, I threw them away, or lost them anyway. Also my scanner is completely broken. The idea was basically to have a water tank somewhere on the map (not one on stilts), and also to have an open warehouse on raised foundations, with a ramp and stairs leading up to the entrance. The rest of the entrance would just be a ledge. I think this level would be better as a water-side installation rather than an off shore rig. I think only two sides should be by the water, and the other two sides should be buildings (though obviously make it interesting, so it doesn't look like an un-natural wall of buildings). Maybe you should be able to go inside the buildings to a certain extent.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 18:33
Hmm, hard to picture lol, oh well ive got an idea of what you want but it probably wont be like yours.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 11:32
ok i extracted all the new stuff to a new folder and it now runs but nothing i change in the key configs works, ive tried scancoes like 2 or whatever which should be number 1 or something even tried using the letters as shown in the other key configs like t or p, none work. also can you enable esc to close the program as its very annoying having lots of windows at the bottom that dont want to close. and how come i never see you on msn anymore?

Halowed are the ori.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 14:00
You'll have to change the call to keyconfig.txt in the config.txt file to Config\keyconfig.txt. Sorry, I didn't test that. Use the command, enableescapekey to enable the escape key, although be warned that Torrey's audio plugin makes the program hang even after you have quit it. I have hardly used msn for over a year now. Personally I can't stand it, I only go on if I have to.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 17:28
Quote: "I have hardly used msn for over a year now. Personally I can't stand it, I only go on if I have to."

Same Here.

Im out of ideas for my level right now, i couldnt find anything that worked with your idea hamish..

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 18:08
so any updates on a demo ?

Pirates of Port Royale:
http://www.popr.gwgaming.net (Temporarily Disabled, We Apologize for the Inconvenience)
Live the life.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 02:47
Hamish - does the audio engine support .ogg? I've done a little testing and I can get a slightly higher quality with what's certainly a lower filesize using that codec. The 128k OGG sounds a lot like a 160k mp3, and it's 200kb smaller

Anyhow, I've totally conquered the flanger in alloy, and have a new, even uberer action piece in the works. Alloy (newer version) / Chemical Drain

Main working points atm:
Writing ambient segment for ChemDrain
Altering the 'b' section on ChemDrain
Figureing out where I saved the ambient seg of Alloy

There's another action piece in the works, just gotta sort out the mix and fiddle with some stuff to make it presentable. Been thinking about doing a epic sounding bit for the big ctf matches - stuff like Onslaught in ut2k4. Main problem with that is finding the right instruments... hmm.

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 05:08
hi yall.....can someone help me make an editor for my engine ?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 20:15 Edited at: 9th Mar 2006 20:16
Prof - Here is a crappy concept. Please don't copy it exactly, because it sucks, but it is my kind of idea for the level. It'd be really cool to see this finished. I may try and come up with some better concepts if I can.

Gil - Heh, the problem with a community project is that the demo's are ready when all the things are available to make the demo. I have somehow screwed up the network code, so I have written a debug module to deal with it (see further on). We also need the fps hand ready with animations. Then a menu is also needed. CPU was dealing with this, but I haven't seen him around for a while. After that all we have to do is generally pull it all together to make it look half decent, and then we have an actual playable demo (not just a tech style demo). I do hope we get a demo ready soon, but it all depends on everyone coming up with stuff (and probably more importantly, having time to come up with stuff).

Hawkeye - Awesome, you just seem to keep improving and improving with these tracks. Just make sure you tell us when you have a finished product to use in-game . The engine does support ogg (or will with a bit of fiddling), so that is good.

Alpha - You're probably asking in the wrong place. Most people here are probably more involved in this project to have much time to help make an editor. Maybe you should ask on a different board, in you're own thread, but with more details of what help you need (on pain of getting flamed). Also, can you possibly upload that arm model? Preferably with a copy that can be read by Blender as well. It would be supremely helpful!

DA COdez

I have recently coded a debug module. It works by inputting debug data in real time into an array. Each piece of data has a category, so data can be displayed on screen in categories. I'm thinking debug data should be input for each module in it's own function. Probably PREFIX_Debug(). This could be called from each module's update function. Hopefully this should help with debugging (especially network debugging, damnit).

Here is teh codez:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 01:12
can blender use .max files ? i rigged the arms in max

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 03:41
ofcourse it cant as the max file is mainly rendering/material data.

@hamish, im not sure what you meant by the file things so could you possibly change the 2 config files and upload them? as i added the enable escape key thing and it works althogh the exe doesnt close, and any attempts to add a diff console key doesnt do anything.

Halowed are the ori.
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 05:34
Alright thanks hamish, That helps alot! ill see what i can do .

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 09:58
Alpha - I think COB (Truespace) files are compatable with both, though I've never tried loading one in Blender. I just gather this from googling around.

DC - I meant change the line in Config\config.txt:

parse keyconfig.txt

to

parse Config\keyconfig.txt

As all paths must use the base directory of the Media folder.

Here is the config file (Config\config.txt):

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 04:14
Hamish, about that problem you were having, try the update attached. It seems to work here when trying to join twice(purposely making it fail the first time).

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Download the free version

Attachments

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 05:28
Introducing sword fish, the newest 3d model by A.Z.P.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 06:37
cool gun

<a href="http://www.popr.lukasw.com">Pirates of Port Royale</a>
Live the life of a pirate.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 07:40
ok i played it finally, and its pretty good has its bugs tho 1st time i fell through the whole map :/, and i managed to get a glock to fall through the bridge , and as stated above the strange huge bulletholes and dodgey col meshes, the guns need to have some sort of a reload time, when shooting/moving the crosshairs need to widen, crates should float less and the water should have more friction as anything just falls to the bottom too fast.

needs some sort of a menu as all that console crap is annoying, and console needs a backspace.

Halowed are the ori.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 18:33 Edited at: 12th Mar 2006 18:33
@ Dark Coder

Thanks for your continued efforts to compile the thing, now everyone should have less trouble doing the same.

"1st time i fell through the whole map"

Never happened to me before. It'll probably be a Newton problem. It can't be fixed until the next wrapped update (with continuous collision, to stop small or fast bodies from passing through walls and such).

"i managed to get a glock to fall through the bridge"

Constantly happens to me also, same problem as above.

"strange huge bulletholes and dodgey col meshes"

Yup.

"guns need to have some sort of a reload time"

Can impliment easily, although reload animations are preferably needed also.

"when shooting/moving the crosshairs need to widen"

You mean the guns become less accurate? We can impliment something like that I guess.

"crates should float less"

Getting the buoyancy right is probably the hardest part of Newton. I figured details like that can be fine tuned at any time.

"water should have more friction as anything just falls to the bottom too fast"

Depends what is in it, but ok.

"needs some sort of a menu as all that console crap is annoying"

I agree. Maybe we'd better abandon any hope of CPU coming up with menu code. I'll work on the current code.

"and console needs a backspace"

I await U6.0 (not compiling in any betas as other stuff will probably stop working!).

@ Alpha

Nice work! Although I can't help feeling it should have a barrel of some sort. Anyway, please upload it to the remository, it's much quicker and less hassle than emailing and other things.

@ Ben

Cheers! Will test.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 23:53 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 00:36
Gah, we need to get a demo out. From now on I will be concentrating on the online code, and the menu code (although my electonics project takes priority). Once the code is done, we need at least a few weapons animated, and with one level (casbah) and one character (minkey), we can release a demo, along with a new thread.

ALPHA ZERO - Can you upload a .cob file of your rigged hand, along with any other formats you have?

ANYONE - Can someone unwrap and texture the hand once alpha has uploaded it? We need it for the demo really.

EDIT

Ben - Haven't had time to test yet. Will try tomorrow.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 00:08
So does the plugin work alright for you now?

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 00:41
k, i'll upload it.........is there a .cob exporter for 3ds max ?

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 07:02
I love this thread. Keep up the good work everyone.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 20:25
@Hamish, check you mail, i sent you an update on the level.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 16:25
nice to see the project is still coming alogn nicely, i've been burried with school that's why you haven't seen much of me recently you probably won't see me again for another month either but i'll try to keep an eye on this from time to time.

http://ccgi.lochviewwest.plus.com/design1
AMD athlon 64 3000+, 1GB ddr400, abit kv8, 400GB total hdd, ati radeon 9800se 128mb, 2x17" tft(@1280x1024).
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 16:34
This project is pretty good.. I tried out demo and it was great.

There is something funny in picture? Then you gotta try out Moomins In MushroomForest game!
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 16:50
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh theres that picture again its all over the forum ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Check out my site!(unfinished)
http://www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie/
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 16:55
Rightclick -> block images from server. Hit refresh button and voila! No more nightmares.

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 22:39
thx Hawkeye for the very useful information
No dumb images more.

[/center]
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 07:22
Lol.. I deleted that singnature

<DeleteD> by Cloudef
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 07:40
Quote: "although be warned that Torrey's audio plugin makes the program hang even after you have quit it"

You posted that on March 8th, and on March 12th I released v1.51, how is this new version working for the project?

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 02:27
waht ?

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 17:33 Edited at: 20th Mar 2006 17:36
Quote: "Prof - Here is a crappy concept. Please don't copy it exactly, because it sucks, but it is my kind of idea for the level. It'd be really cool to see this finished. I may try and come up with some better concepts if I can."

What are you on? That's a brilliant level, especially for something made in Maya!

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 03:09 Edited at: 21st Mar 2006 03:10
Quick question: Do you have any idea how you plan to fix the fact that you slide down every slope? If you do add friction then A)It will be impossible to climb any stairs (or even climb up any small bump, like from a road to a sidewalk) and B)If you jump into a wall and hold forward you will stick to it in the air because of friction.

I'm also programming a first person shooter and this is one of the biggest issues I'm facing so far...slopes vs stairs, and I'm just looking for ideas.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 04:34
I havent been following along too much with the project other than viewing the demo video and downloading the demo only to be unable to get it work (but I gave up without trying fairly hard, not on purpose Id just forgotten ). Anyways, I was wondering are you gearing this towards online-play or solo-play? The reason I ask is because Ive been developing some A.I routines and I might have some time a week or two from now to possibly attempt to create some functions for this, nothing extremely advanced but a basic outline that allows for addition/customization in later times (Pathfinding, Shooting Enemies, Covering Allies, Hiding if hurt...).

Ofcourse Id need a basic idea of the parameters/conditions youd want the AI to work under, I.E Are they insane kamikazee's that done care about getting killed and just try their hardest to take out the opposing team, or are they more of the human-type, hiding for cover and shooting only when they think they have a chance?

Like I said theres no guarantees but if I have the time Id be happy to create the basic AI engine, assuming Im able to work it all out on the computer.

- RUC'

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 20:33
Unfortunately Prof has now had to leave the project . He has given much to the project with his excellent modelling skills, and hopefully he will come back some day. Cheers Professor!

Megaton - That was mostly Professor's level. I just added some crappy buildings with Wings3D as a concept. He was using 3DS Max I think, not Maya. I will upload the level so that others may complete it if they wish.

Quoth - The only idea I have is to physically stop the player when they go below a certain speed. This would have to be carefully done, and may not even work. Other than that your guess is as good as mine.

Ruccus - Hey hey, if you can that'd be great. At the moment the engine is geared for online play, but with a bit of modification it'd be ready to go with Computer-Controlled players. I'm imagining that the players would have a certain element of stealth about them, but really that's up to everyone else.

The basic things they will need to do are:

- Navigate the levels.
- Look for enemies.
- Shoot enemies (maybe even specific body parts).
- Look for and pick up items.

Also note that the project is using Darkscript by Torrey (like the Lua plugin), so you could take this into account if you want.

In the end, any code is appreciated no matter how much.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 21:52
Website has changed address, and it's appearence to a certain extent.

http://blackout.gamersol.co.uk/

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 05:35
nice new site.

visit my site (unfinished)
www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie
Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 22:43
Quote: "If you jump into a wall and hold forward you will stick to it in the air because of friction."

Actually, this will not happen if you handle the player correctly. When off the ground, the player should not be able to apply very much force to move, but when on the ground he should.

As for the stairs, this is a true problem. It would ruin some levels to have ramps intead of stairs. The simple solution is to have two models of the level, a collision model and a visual model, in which the collision model would have ramps.

formerly xMik
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2006 13:36
But then that doubles your poly count, unless Newton lets you do something trickzy.

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
ahm you can just load in the collistion model and pre-set the collistion to it, then delete that model and load in the actual level, that way you shall b still using the same number of poly's. I tried it using sparky's dll works perfect for me.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2006 17:15
Yeah, but that's sparky - newton might object.

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2006 20:40
I'm pretty sure it works - I think I've done it before.

formerly xMik
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 21:02
i think ive done that aswell with newton atleast havent tried with any others.

Halowed are the ori.
Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 04:08
Hello, Its been months since I've been on the forums and I'm wondering if the editor is still being made with the game?

768 DDR pc3200||ATI 9600xt 256mb||330 GB hard drive||Amd XP 3000+
Glog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 15:20
Hi there , still no demo uh ....

there is no leveleditor as i understood , the levels are generated using a script language trough the game

the best way to implement stairs and ladders and things like that would be to do just like in Half life :

simply add those objects
stair1 at the start of the stairs
stair2 at the end of the stairs

then make some code to allow the player to "ride " , jump and fall between stair1 and stair2 without collinding with the mesh stair.

remember , for ALL those kind of problem , check the solution found in commercial games , and SDK packages , those are the best solutions in all ways .

any demo planned ? what is the state of the game now ??

A program is sensed to be a conventional mean to give orders to a computer and not being obscure,weird,and full of traps ,that is closer to magic stuff (Dave Small).
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 19:38
Hey Glog. Unfortunately it is at pretty much the same stage as it was when you were last here. I have been very busy with my college work recently, and being the only coder on the project at the moment, the engine hasn't really progressed much. In fact, it seems to have regressed . I'm having some serious problems with the online code (the main one being that any clients' frame rate slows to 0 and then the exe crashes completely).

Demo is still planned, though I don't know when for. I am trying to find time to look at the code now, but these bugs really are getting to me, and I can only stand so much. I don't know what is happening with the media, as that really isn't my department. As I have been saying, I think the best idea is to start a new thread and try to move everything to the new website. Hopefully that will re-kindle interest in the project and get some more people working on it.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 02:10 Edited at: 4th Apr 2006 02:10
Hamish, when did you notice this problem? On the off chance that it may be being caused by some debug stuff I put in Tempest recently, here it is without it. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=833272

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe) - 71%

Attachments

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 02:24 Edited at: 4th Apr 2006 02:25
Hamish, I don't really know if my coding abilities are up to par for this project, but I am willing to help out with any coding at all. Just let me know what you will need me to work on. In the mean time, I may just try to compile the project.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 13:46 Edited at: 4th Apr 2006 13:55
Ben - It seemed to start when I installed your new plugin. That version doesn't make any difference. I think the problem is with running two of the same project at a time, there seems to be some conflict. If you enter the task manager and set the slow exe to a higher priority, it runs fine, but the other exe slows to an absolute halt. I also measure the time taken to execute TSync. It rises to about 10ms when the program is running slowly. This seems to indicate that it is a problem with the plugin, as the rest of the slowness could be attributed to the other commands.

Milk - It'd be really good to have some help. Once I get the current code working I'll upload it. Various things need doing. The menu is one of them, then various other things, like specialised particle effects, water splash for example, mm0zct uploaded some code for that), spawn effects for players and weapons, the project is quite sparse visually at the moment basically.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:28:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:28:35