Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Community FPS Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 19:33 Edited at: 21st Dec 2005 22:51
Thanks Professor. You forgot:

Grismald - 3D Modeller/Level Design
Alpha Zero Productions - 3D Modeller
Alkaline - Coding
Evil Stick - Modelling and Textures (I think?)
Peter_ - 3D Modelling
Skalex - 3D Modelling
Mitchell - 3D Modelling/Level Design (Though I have never actually received any of his stuff)
Oliver - 3D Modelling
Benjamin - For kindly giving us a free version of his network plugin (Tempest)
Optical r - Music
TheOz - 3D Modelling
IanG - 3D Modelling

This list is compiled from just scrolling through the past posts looking for stuff. Noticably Mitchell made a load of stuff that he never posted, so Mitchell, if you're out there and still willing to help, it'd be really cool if you could send/upload some of your models!

I'm starting to doubt whether we will have enough time to do much more before the proposed deadline. It's a very busy time of year, and I certainly haven't had much time to work on anything. I'm wondering if maybe we should extend the deadline? Maybe to the end of January? That way we can decide a wider range of aims (not just coding), and try to get various people to actually do different jobs. The demo will look very un-finished (not that we were aiming for a very visually impressive demo this time around), but it lacks things like gun animations and decent sounds effects, both of which add a lot to the feel of a game. It's annoying I know, but I have enough to be getting on with at the moment, and I would feel a lot more comfortable with more time.

If everyone still wants to aim for Christmas, I can get a final compilation hopefully, but the website may also be a bit bare.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 19:57
Ouch sorry, i was copying of the list on the site.

I agree with Hamish, Our demo is very unfinnished... We should wait until the end of January. I have a decent mic and a mixer i can use for making sounds, I can get a shotgun pump sound, a bultlever type sound (for sniper rifles).. any other ideas? remember that this is in my house so no shooting guns!!! not sure how they will sound, ill give it a try when i can.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 20:49
Quote: "_Peter"

well if you're going to put the underscore on there, at least put it like so "Peter_"

if i ever get time (HA!) and madder skillz (HA!) then i'll try to make a character for this game before it's done...

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 02:35
Nobody saw my fresh new M9 texture anyway... Proffessor waited for it... now he forgot lol

Skalex - Nobody can ear you scream ... you're on a forum!
The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 04:08
And you also forgot "The Dude Guy" for being himself
Nah, Just kidding.
This is a pretty good game, can't wait until the NEW demo.

Mod Edit: Sig image too big.
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 18:32
Ok heres my 1st real recorded sound effect! Please tell me what you think!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 18:40
Really really great Professor! It sounds so much better than our current hissy sound effects. The only thing is it needs to be in .wav format to load into DBPro. If you could record any more of that quality we'll be well on our way to having a great sounding game. Notably footsteps (maybe on different surfaces) and bullet hits are missing from the game. How did you produce that sound? Did you use a real gun, or something else?

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 19:23
A real gun, but since this is inside my house i cant realy shoot anyguns.

The way i did it was i set up my mic on the micstand, Pluged it into my little mixer and then into my computer, messed with a bunche of levels, then i recorded it onto my computer. And exported it to .mp3

Ok im going to upload all of my sounds (Currently 3).

Attachments

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 00:52
hey guys. iam coding dbc but i can help you with textures
just mail me if youre interested

[/center]
new programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 06:00
i'll do some gun models maybe.
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 12:23
it might be an idea to re-list ll the needed stuff here, so that we don't have to look at the first post, i'm up for a bit of modelling of xmas if i just knew what was needed

amd athlon xp 2600+,1280mb,FX 5200 128mb,200gb,xp pro sp2
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 13:53
Quote: "Really really great Professor! It sounds so much better than our current hissy sound effects. The only thing is it needs to be in .wav format to load into DBPro. If you could record any more of that quality we'll be well on our way to having a great sounding game. Notably footsteps (maybe on different surfaces) and bullet hits are missing from the game. How did you produce that sound? Did you use a real gun, or something else?"

Don't forget that DBPro loads those WAV files in memory, so if you load a bunch of sounds that are of high quality you'll have a huge decrease in fps. I didn't find that out until someone benchmarked my audio plugin against DBPro's built in support.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 19:17
@Jack Well right now i realy could use a tree texture, currently what im using is someones game texture, wich i cant use...

Quote: "Don't forget that DBPro loads those WAV files in memory, so if you load a bunch of sounds that are of high quality you'll have a huge decrease in fps. I didn't find that out until someone benchmarked my audio plugin against DBPro's built in support.
"

Maybe i should now export it as 16 bit instead of a higher one? im not even sure what i'm exporting it as but i think i can lower it.

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 19:59
16bit, some cheap sound cards (I should know) can't even play 24bit sounds on older systems.

16-colour PNGs pwn.
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 21:08
Quote: "16bit, some cheap sound cards (I should know) can't even play 24bit sounds on older systems."

Ouch . Ok 16bit unless i hear different from hamish. Im going to start a library, i dont know how much i can do though. Man footsteps are harder than you would think! 1st off you need the material, then you need to find a place where theres not much background noise then you have to get a good sound... Very hard .
But ill do what i can .

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 22:57
try uding the sounds that came with dbp.......or the demo...i'm not sure.

i'm willing to model more guns so if u need some ask!!

new programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 02:05
gun models for sale?

p.s. thanx for sounds they go gr8 in me new game
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 03:22
There's not *that* much difference between 16 and 24 bit anyways, it's mostly just the pros convincing themselves that they can hear the difference in 24 bits, never mind the fact that cd quality is 16

At any rate, 16bits is plenty for a game, and I'd make sure they were in mono as well

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
new programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 04:01
hey wut were the gun models made in? i've tried everything...
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 07:11 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2006 03:51
hey i just made a new gun, the hk mp7 (pdw) enjoy

its less than 2000 polies

if u want it ask me

Pictures taken of because u weren't surposed 2 c it

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 18:48 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 18:50
@DB newbe, Ok its fine, But ask next time, ask first.. I dont mind you using them but its prolly better if you ask first instead of just telling us your taking them lol.

No hard feelings .

@ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS, Wow nice model! thats realy good! Never heard of the gun but it looks great!. Not sure how many more guns we need though.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2005 01:00
Are you kidding me? You can never have enough guns...

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2005 01:55
Ok lol.

new programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2005 04:09
i meant to say "can i use them?", sorry if it came across as "im taking them with me now!" sorry!!!

and BTW, nice model i'd never use it for commercial tho!! was it made in C4D or 3DS MAX?
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2005 04:46
@DB newbe, Ok thats fine

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2005 06:30
y

Lil Gaming Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2005 17:16
Hi, i was wondering if i could help or be of any use. I am a newbie who is creating a game at the moment. But on the other hand, I am quite good at creating, things, but utter rubbish at coding. If you let me help, contact my yahoo address.

geez
gamerz rule!
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2005 16:31
right - i was board so i came up with this sound effect, its walking on snow, or atleast it is supposed to be, it needs a bit of cleaning up but is okay ish imho - but i've never done sound effects before

the quickly chopped version is attached

Attachments

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2005 16:38
and this is the full unedited version

Attachments

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 17:38
Awesome gun Alpha. We are again in the situation of having no-one to skin these models. Volunteers?

Gamer - We need help with anything from concept art to UV mapping and texturing. We'd prefer it people work to their strengths, as although this is a community project, we have to have some standards, otherwise the end product may look kind of - you know what I mean.

IanG - Sounds ok, but it will definitely need some cleaning up if it is to be used in-game.

Hope everyone had a very merry Christmas. My blood-sugar/-alcohol level are certainly up. I am ripping my hair out at the moment with the code. I messed it up somehow when switching to the updated Tempest plugin. Will post when I get it sorted out.

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 18:09
Quote: "We are again in the situation of having no-one to skin these models. Volunteers?"

Do i have to say it again? I CAN TEXTURE PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING, BUT I CAN'T UV MAP THEM.

Oh and thanks to comment my new M9 Pistol Skin,

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 18:37
Sorry Skalex, I realise. I just meant there was no one able to UV map and texture. Unless someone can UV map, then it is pretty useless you being able to texture (not your fault of course!). As for your new texture, I did look at it but I forgot to comment (there's so much to comment on, sorry). I think the texture is good, but the handle should be a bit less contrasty with the rest of the skin. It seems a bit dark. Also after thinking about it, the text would probably look better inset from the rest of the gun. It also looks a bit bold, an engraving would probably be quite fine. I understand with 512x512 you are limited to how fine you can make it.

I have made several attempts at trying to UV map, texture and animate things, but it's just not my thing, and it takes far too much time for me to do. I think we seriously need a list of jobs. Maybe we should have something on the website to deal with that. A list of jobs with related download and screenshot.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 00:48
Ok heres the model of my level. Im just going to post the level instead of screen shots.

C&c Welcome.

Attachments

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 04:27
ok, sorry Hamish. I will try to do a better job on the handle, even with a 512x512 texture.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 18:04
*cough* so much for a christmas release... how about my birthday? That's Jan22

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 18:09
Quote: "Sounds ok, but it will definitely need some cleaning up if it is to be used in-game"

well i made it quickly when i was board

as to the uv mapping what needs to be done, as i *might* be able to do some of it, but someone else would have to texture as i'm crap at texturing

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 18:46 Edited at: 30th Dec 2005 18:55
right i looked on the first page and i have managed to uv map the hk_ump - but i don't know what it will look like when textured, the mesh has many parts which over-lap which isn't ideal for a uv map - it also wastes some polys which can't be seenand was made up of several different parts - i've just slamed them all together int to a single part which will prob make it difficult to do any reloading animation, if it needs to be in two seperate meshes (gun and magazine) just say and i can redo the uv map for you

i've exported it in 3ds, x(from two different exporters, the panda one and the quest 3d one), and i've thrown in the max file for it aswell, it's in a rar because the original one was

[edit] if you can post a link to the helgun model i will uv map that aswell, and i might texture it if i have time (as it doesn't need to be accurate like the other guns as it doesn't exist in real life) and i will also uv map the sub machine gun as well if you can throw me the link for it

[2nd edit]someone slap me with a kipper
Quote: "Email me to get models"

could you just email me instead, at image6 *at* gmail *dot* com
or shall i email you?

Attachments

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 22:25
Hawkeye - Did I say Christmas this year? I think the end of January is probably a good date, as I have now got the stupid code fixed.

IanG - Um, not to put you down, but that UV map just looks like you've applied box-mapping and left it like that. A UV-map generally separates each polygon so that it has it's own space on the UV-map. Eg. look at this image I googled:

http://www.qhot.com/share/syloh/3D_modeling/img/_oldman_face_UV.gif

The mesh is unwrapped, like the surface has been un-ravelled and laid flat, it's not just the left, right, front, back, top, and bottom facing polygons. It took me several days to unwrap the M4, and I doubt anyone will actually use the UV map because it is split up into about 15 different textures (I don't care, I just view it as experience gained).

However, if you can unwrap the mesh as described above, it would be a great help to the project!

I will upload the other models soon, don't have time now.

Also, I was finding the hand Peter_ modelled pretty hard to animate, so after several tries I think I have come up with something that animates properly. I will post some screenies once I have managed to get the thumb rigged properly. I really did try to get your hand working properly Peter_, but the verts just seemed to deform all wrongly. If anyone can rig the hand well then we can use it, otherwise I'll let people see what they think of the new hand.

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 02:18 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2006 03:53
hey guys i hate to tell u this but ....................i made another model

Pictures taken of because u weren't surposed 2 c it

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 03:07
Sweet sexy automatic grenade launcher goodnesss!

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 12:17
@hamish: that's where i said i was having the problem, a lot of faces are hidden inside the mesh, so it is difficult to do, the only way i can think of is to clean up the mesh first then have anothter shot at it, but i haven't got enough time atm to clean up that mesh

@alpha: i do hope those are all extrusions and not just different object slapped over the top - some wire views might be good, as to the overall look that gun looks pretty nice

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 18:01
Reminds me of a tommy gun. Looks good though

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 23:14
ya.....it was based on the tommy gun

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 05:25
Ok ive been modeling another player model, let me know what you guys think, Oh and before you comment on the head, i didnt realy make it, i made it in a facegen ap for 3dsmax, I still shaped his face but i realy didnt model it. (Im lazy .)

I have more images uploaded, Please comment. Man if there was a contest for the best games with the least textures, i belive we would win

C&c Welcome.

Attachments

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 18:36 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2006 18:38
Quote: "Man if there was a contest for the best games with the least textures, i belive we would win"

lol... yea... if only i had Ultimate Unwrap3D
well, i got a lot of cash from my family at Christmas, i should buy it, it would help me a lot for my game and i would help a lot the Blackout devloppers, including me.

The character looks good so far Professor! *cough*except teh head*cough*

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 19:37
@Skalex, Lol i know i know i should of modeled it

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 17:33
Ok hamish, no one seems to see any problems so im going just upload it.

C&c Welcome

Attachments

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 22:11
I've got a nice body model for you ( with uv mapping ^^). With the head of your model, it will be perfect. It's actually 1038 polygons (but db say around 700).

Attachments

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 22:12 Edited at: 4th Jan 2006 12:16
A little screen . The texture is very bad but it's a test

[Edit] I'm currently making a new head based on yours ( but a little bit cleaner).

Attachments

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 19:15 Edited at: 4th Jan 2006 19:21
The model looks good, but ouch get him some cloths on!!

Thanks for the model man!

EDIT: Oh hey that gives me an idea, you know how funny it would be if someone was playing looking like that, Hamish, you should make it where if a player is doing horrible than it switches his model to that. Imagen gunning through a map killing all these swat dudes then all the sudden a guy in his skimmies runs out of a building w/ a p90 in his hands. Personaly i think it would very funny, But as always just an idea.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 03:02:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 03:02:27