Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Animeblood and Cap'in Colorblind Present: Urbia Rising

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 20:58 Edited at: 6th May 2005 21:06
Quote: "For instance you would be walking into a black backdrop and then suddenly the city would appear like a glitch"

that code i mentioned is what i use for active objects only, play something like GTA3, people disappear after reaching a certain distance but the scenery and cars dont cause they arent animated objects.

animated objects decrease FPS greatly, so hide them whenever possible...

and, whilst im posting, could you post a screenshot of what youve got done so far?

im actually amazed that the FPS has dropped so low... whats the stats of your computer? cause my game can have up to 32 animated characters and 1000 static objects like buildings onscreen at once, with an FPS of 50...

:p
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I've got a Celeron D 3.25, Radeon 9200 40GB hardrive, etc...

What's odd is there is a ton more object objects in my RPG snippet and that runs at 60 fps the only thing that causes the drop here is checking for collision between the world and objects if I remove that there is a great change in speed but the npcs fall through the ground...

Psycho Gary
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 20:15 Edited at: 7th May 2005 20:15
what are you using to test for collision? cause i use plain old DBpro collision and it runs super fast...

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 23:49
He's using NGC, the reason why his collision is going so slow is probably because he doesnt hide things behind the main charecter. Oh yea animeblood jumping and collision are 100% done for rush, so id be glad to add them into Uriba. No bugs

http://img96.exs.cx/img96/2382/sasa.gif
around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh okay, thanks. I'm going to try and hide the stuff behind the player and see how much of a boost I get from that. Gokz if your on later can you send me the new jumping and collision?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Just thought I'd post up saying that this hasn't died and next week you prepare for a plethora of new things I've just been trying to make a small puzzle game for the compo.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 06:34
fair enough

http://seppukuarts.dbspot.com
Ronin is back on production yey!!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 06:52
Hope your puzzle game's a sucess.

Currently working on BlockMan Remix
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, the concept is simple but I won't give it away...

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 11:11 Edited at: 15th May 2005 11:13
Just thought I'd post up some info on features.
Since the Cap'in has left I have alot more freedom with what I want to do, so this game will have some unique features for story telling and the like, can't tell you them as they aren't ready to be told. Also if you really want to know the thematic style of this game think of a cross between:

Ghost in the Shell
The Godfather
Kung-Fu Movies in General (Rumble in the Bronx thought because of it's setting)
The Matrix
Sin City

-----------------------

I hope to have some screens up on Friday, I'm impleementing the HDR, the camera hiding, and finishng up huds and I plan to get the collision and jumping off of Zedane/Gokz. I also plan to add ai and have a little trailer.
-----------------------
Also I hope to try and find Cinema 4D cheap over the summer and buy it and begin the visual aspect when I finish the engine, I hope for this game to have a very unique art direction and style, like GTA and the upcoming Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects (A Suprise that the games coming from EA, it doesnt look like a game they'd make, soon we'll be seeing quirky titles like Billy Bob The Bean where you have to roll stuff around in a city. )

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 19:39
Cinema 4D for cheap, you would have to be lucky, I was because some guy had the CE version on a disc free with a magazine, other than that the cheapest I've found is £400 which is the standard version of 9 with a discount.
If you want a cheap version email maxon.net and ask them to see if they have an old version you could buy cheaply, I'm sure they have some unwanted versions laying at the back of their warehouse or something.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
That is what I planned to do, but thanks for trying to help SEppuku.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 23:15
oh right fair enough

Captain Colorblind
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Animeblood, i hope everything goes well

I'm a Red Sox fan, don't hate me for it. If you say anything bad, trust me you dont want to know what will happen.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 06:46
Hey Anime Blood, can you put more pops ups on your site please? I don't think 15 is enough!

-This...is my boomstick!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 14:51
Quote: "well all the best projects are loners, COB, Urbia, Ronin, It goes to show that one man teams are the best (well ronin doesn't say much, because it isn't progressing)"

what about "Pirates of Port Royale" ? Although its not a one man team .

Well, cant wait for some more screens, good luck with the game Anime Blood !

Video games…they take you places unreachable, unfeasible. Putting you in the book...putting you in the movie...putting you in a world, that before could only be imagined. expage.com/piratesmainpage.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 19:12
Pirates is a best projects, but I didn't mention it because it isn't a 1 man team lol

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 23:33 Edited at: 21st May 2005 23:49
I don't get teh pop-ups cus of firefox.

But my site will be switching to DBSpot in July so they'll leave soon.
Anyways once I get this object hiding perfect I'll post some screens...

This shot only shows the new hud layout and the fog effect but I'm also working on the hudung of objects but nwo I'm not getting a huge increase like I was a while back where it went from 30 to 70 which is odd. And I haven't changed the code at all.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 00:41
cool

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. Here's a new screenie ::
Andreas is walking down a hill of the city of Urbia.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 08:47
looks very nice . I especially like that map overhead feature.

Video games…they take you places unreachable, unfeasible. Putting you in the book...putting you in the movie...putting you in a world, that before could only be imagined. expage.com/piratesmainpage.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 09:04
Anime, hmmmm I found a possible solution to C4D for cheap, yes I will post email you da link when I've got my Copy, its C4D XL 6 (but they named it CE+ 6, but its exactly the same, nothing differant except the name and price) its £79, I got the link on the CD of my demo disc with Cinema 4D CE 6 on, so I'm not sure if this is an upgrade or actual prog so I'll email them.

The reason I won't post it now is because there is a LIMITED STOCK, and well if I post it before I get mine then it may become sold out, it may sound selfish.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Combat: The Highlight of Urbia

What peripheral is used for combat?
I'm coding the combat for Urbia to be used by the mouse as is Camera control, this idea was just thought of while thinking of how to fit in a user controlled camera.
How does combat work?
The left mouse button will allow the player to perform attack 1 while the right mouse button will allow for attack 2. When in combat the player has to lock on to a traget by pressing the tab button to select one, this will the change the function of the mouse move which is usually used to control the camera. If one of the mouse buttons is pressed and while being pressed the mouse is moved in a certain direction then the player will initate a certain kind of combo. This will be done by making the models of characters have specific limbs for each part of their body used in combat that needs to shift depending on the mouse.

Anyways thanks for the comment Gil. Seppuku, well we already talked about that now haven't we.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 18:27
I know Anime but this was posted before you were on msn, I just decided to tell you on msn anyways to save you from the terrible effort of coming here lol

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I know.

Anyways thanks to the help in my thread about rotating a camera around an object I'm currently adding that into the game.'

Anyone have some thoughts on combat?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2005 06:23
Quote: "Anyone have some thoughts on combat?"

Quote: "The left mouse button will allow the player to perform attack 1 while the right mouse button will allow for attack 2"

Yeah, i think thatll be the best way to do it, thats how im doing it in "Pirates of Port Royale" .

Quote: "When in combat the player has to lock on to a traget by pressing the tab button to select one, this will the change the function of the mouse move which is usually used to control the camera"

No offense...im just not sure on this. . Does this mean u wont be able to move while in combat? And i dont know about the tab thing. I dont quite get what you mean, im not sure u should have to press tab to be able to attack something .

Anyways, sounds good, hope ur not offended by my comments

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Tab locks on to an enemy or npc so you can really perform combat you could run up to them and just press the buttons but it would only to simple kicks and punches no combos, it's a simple targeting mechanic many games have. And the mouse move is to alter the camera perspective you can still move around in combat.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Last night before I fell asleep I came up with an idea. The game won't be 3rd person anymore. It's going to be 1st person, it will make controlling easier and make the experiance much more unique, especially as at it's heart it's a platforemer. I hope this doesn't disapoint anyone.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 08:05

oh well, I can cope!

Currently working on BlockMan Remix
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
It will still play the same way if that's peoples concerns I've made it that way since I worked on it a bit this morning it's just a different view.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 21:47
you fell asleep and came up with a good idea?

I hate it when it happens, I've come up with awesome openings to stories and poetry(not la dee da poetry, decent stuff), but when I wake up I've forgotten them

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 22:20
I had a go at a 1st person platformer before and it was pretty cool and it made jumps easier to estimate.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.tk
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
It was before I fell asleep.

Psycho Gary
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 00:45
cant it have a 1st/3rd person alternation? im doing that for COB, you press backspace to change between first and third person... but its up to you if you can be bothered to do that, dont listen to me, im stupid

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 01:59
i agree with psycho, I hate first person games, so you could switch like in splinter cell, that was cool

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
First off Splinter Cell was only 3rd person.

I might try to do that in the end but for now I'll focus on 1st person once the engine is complete I'll try to add in a 3rd person mode.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 05:57
splinter cell was in both, you could stay in first whilst moving then go into a sort of first when shooting or when you need to a closer look.
Like on Urbia the first person would be for when you need to look closer at things or shoot (or punch up, can't believe I forgot the plot lol)

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
However Splinter Cell unless you used the optic cable to look under doors it was still 3rd person partially 1st is still actually 3rd person.

Anyways I was a bit tired and wrote something comepltetly wrong cus of my mono and turned it into a sick joke.

Urbia will still be 3rd person.

Yeah I'm pretty cruel.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 07:18
cruel? I can show you cruel, but TGC might get the police, so best not lol

Coal Chamber, System of a down, Devil Driver, Chimaira, Trivium, Nine Inch nails all rock!!!!!!!!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Haha. Maybe you'll get some new screens on the weekend.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 18:47
fair enough, can't wait, have you started on the character models yet or are you focusing on the programming first then replacing the boxes with characters?

Coal Chamber, System of a down, Devil Driver, Chimaira, Trivium, Nine Inch nails all rock!!!!!!!!WIP-Ronin, The Downward Spiral, Ketsueki, Kiyamoto
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Programming First, Media Second.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 23:05
cool, for ronin its seems its the opposite lol

Coal Chamber, System of a down, Devil Driver, Chimaira, Trivium, Nine Inch nails all rock!!!!!!!!WIP-Ronin, The Downward Spiral, Ketsueki, Kiyamoto
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 11:05
If your programming with boxes, wouldn't that pose a problem once you've implemented character animation?

It's M-E-G-A-T-O-N. NOT MEGATRON.
DON'T MAKE ME GET THE RABBIT.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 18:07
well I'd say the only problem would be setting up the animations but that wouldn't be too hard for him, I'd say it could bring up more problems if he's using the collisions of the main object as polgons rather than one of those collision boxes, I'd say doing it like that makes sense

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 07:38 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2005 07:39
Woot!I've music in the bag, my dad went to CompUSA this weekend and found Magix Audio and Midi Studio for free!And he's going again this weekend and he said he'll see if they still have a free copy of Music Maker and get me that as well.

Anyways this project has not died.

I'm going to add some AI to good npcs where they just move and if they're x or z position is lets say 200 greater than before then they rotate and go in another direction. Of course this won't be the final ai system, the final one will be much more advanced. I'll also make an array with 5 different messages and one will be called on randomly when you interact with npcs.

Screens later!

Also:I
I've tested collision with an actual model and it worked just fine, exactly as it did with box so no worries on that front.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 07:59
sweet, but nothing beats garage band tho lol, but I guess you'll need an I-Mac for that

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah and I don't have the omney to buy one of those. All though I reaaaaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyyy want garage band.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 23:19
Garageband is nice, thats what I am going to use for ronin, but I will have to do a lot of MP3's in it before I burn em to CD so I take up a lot of space.

Macs rule!! Oops soz did that get out. Personally the thing that would make me make me trash my PC and buy a mac is if....

Dark Basic Pro was released on Mac and a few of my other programs because I can get the same version of Cinema 4D I got for the mac for £79 and we've got photoshop CS for the Mac (which is better than my currnet version)

Assuminh Dark Basic Pro was released on mac I reckon most people on this forum would make the switch.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Long time no post.

I'm taking a break from Urbia until mid July unfortuantly.

But when that time comes, huge progress will be made.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 01:33:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 01:33:57