Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Any DB Classic Users Interested In This?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I knew it was in the pre-alpha/alpha stage , that was just the only problem I experienced.

Do we get themes in v1.0A?

Forgive the sig, I'm learning PHP
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 01:36 Edited at: 12th Aug 2005 01:38
Quote: "You really should have this for DBpro also."

Lol - As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it used to be a DBPro IDE!

Back in September 2003, when GuyS stopped supporting the official DBPro IDE, I started writing this IDE and introduced it to the DB community. It received next to no response. It did get a mention in the DB Newsletter though!

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?gf=newsletter_issue_11

The other IDE's seemed to be more popular so I stopped work on mine. Apparently, only one other person besides me was using it.

Just recently, I decided to resurrect it to use for while making my Particle Generator and had to do some work on it to do what I wanted to do.

One of the things I did was take all the DBPro side of things out of it - the reason it suddenly became so buggy! Anyway, back on track now...

New features:

I'm currently fixing multiple window support.

I'm also adding the ability for YOU to add your own commands yourself.

I'm also adding support for 'permanent include files'. In the project, you can add external files to the current project, but this new option will let you define permanent external files which will automatically be included in EVERY project when you create them.

As for skinning, I use the KSDEV ThemeEngine component.

thinkdigital:

Themes in V1.0a? - Yes I promise!

TDK_Man
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 01:39 Edited at: 12th Aug 2005 01:41
Neat. Will it (eventually) have a media browser? It would be a cool feature to like, have a media browser that could copy the selected files to your project directory, or automatically insert their filenames into the code.

EDIT: Didn't see your edit. Thank goodness, I'll love to have themes... Even if it is the alpha stage, you've already got me using this instead of DarkEDIT.

Forgive the sig, I'm learning PHP
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 01:58
thinkdigital:

Try something for me lol!

Open a dba file. Right click in the code window and look at the last entry on the popup menu... What do you have there?

Bet you missed that eh?

TDK_Man
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 04:04
Mr kid:

'Tis Magic!
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 05:19
Wow, I like it. I plan on using it soon also. But I too, think you should have new collision commands since just about everyone is having troubles with them. But I like the little right-click thing and you can insert code. You should have a thing where it gives you a drop down list when you type, like if you type
se
(then it will give you a list of commands starting with se)
set display mode width,height,depth
etc..

Anyways, what are you making this program in? VisualBasic? Probably not but I am interested in what you're making it in. You might of inspired me to make my own (of course it won't be even comparable). IF you did make it VB, I would LOVE (like really like it alot) if you were to make even a basic tutorial on how you did it.

Other wise I really like it!

------------------------
Visit my website of Games!
http://dabip.stonerocket.net
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 12:57
vgames master:

Collision Commands: I'll look into that - sounds interesting!

Quote: "You should have a thing where it gives you a drop down list when you type"

When you unzip the rar file you get two files - the exe and another file. The 'other' file is there for exactly this reason, but I haven't written that part of the program yet.

Quote: "what are you making this program in?"

Delphi. I don't want to upset anyone, but I can't be doing with VB.

If anyone uses DB and wants to try learning a 'Windows' language, then Delphi is the ideal place to start.

I'm using V5 which is an older version, but it does far more than I'll ever need. I don't suggest using any version later than V7 either if you are just trying it out, as versions after V7 have support for all that .Net nonsense built in...

TDK_Man
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 00:03 Edited at: 13th Aug 2005 02:05
Hmm, okay awesome! Soo, delphi.. I'll look in to it. Thanks! What compiler do you use? Just so I could learn it because I looked it up on the web and it looks neat.

------------------------
Garfield rules
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried the editor and I love it! A couple problems I'd like to address:
-Changing the text colors in system options doesn't actually work, but I'm sure you'll address that later.
-When you try to change the integer color, it changes the keywords text color instead.
-The three new commands I've tried using, min, max and compstr, say "no such array dimensioned" when used.
-The help commands on the menu don't always work (but when they do they're really convienient)
Other than that it looks promising! Goodbye, Darkedit! You know what you should do, TDK? When this thing is finished you should send it to the DarkBASIC website.
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 05:56 Edited at: 13th Aug 2005 05:56
Quote: "Open a dba file. Right click in the code window and look at the last entry on the popup menu... What do you have there? "

Eh, oops?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 08:22
vgames master:

Quote: "What compiler do you use?"

Delphi includes the compiler - it's a RAD system. When you run your code, it compiles and actually runs the exe it creates. Apparently, it's one of the fastest compilers of any language, but I'm not that techy to know if that's true or not!

Garfield rules:

Yes, theres's still a fair bit to do yet. Been working a bit on the colours today, but not all finished yet.

This thread's getting a bit on the large size now, so you probably haven't read all the posts, but in a nutshell, the IDE is a work in progress and is a way from being finished. It's just about reaching the stage where I can say that it's an alpha release - in other words not yet good enough to be a beta!

Couldn't find any problem which stopped the new commands from working this end, so try the latest version...

I've also sorted out a problem with the global variables and as promised, the skins are now fully enabled. I've still got a bit of work to do on them yet, so odd bits don't work 100% yet.

Finally I've added a proper INI file system which amongst other things now saves the IDE window size and position when you exit.

*** IMPORTANT ***

As such, YOU MUST DELETE THE FILE C:\TDK_IDE.INI before running the new version. If you don't do this you will get an error when you run it!!!

Here is the working skins version!!!...

http://www.computechtenerife.com/dbceditor.rar

TDK_Man
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Can I link to this thread in my sig?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 19:07
Sure - no problem...

TDK_Man
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 21:16 Edited at: 13th Aug 2005 22:03
Garfield rules
Years of Service
User Offline
I know what was up with the problem I was having. When I was trying the new commands I saved the test file as "Newcommands.dba", not knowing that the program had already come with a file of the same name that was needed for the commands to work. I downloaded the new version, fixing the problem. However, I can't open any files in the new version, just before I open a file an error pops up, saying: ' " is not an integer value ' or something to the effect. Then the DBA file opens up blank, though as long as I don't save it the file remains intact.
kRx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 00:03
TDK: that error i was talking about above seems to happen during some syntax errors, hasnt happened ina while so i think its a rarity. still lovin ur IDE a lot

kR
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 02:44 Edited at: 14th Aug 2005 02:47
But, in the latest version, I can't seem able to load anything.
I get this:

And then it claims to have loaded the file, but there's nothing there.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 04:10
Doh!

That's what you get if you don't do as you are told lol!!

Read the post 7 above this one.

You can't miss it - there's a section at the end which says:

*** IMPORTANT ***

Oops... you did miss it?

TDK_Man
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Um, no TDK, I read the entire post, did that before installing, and it still happened

But then I did it again and it worked. Strange.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 06:36
I'll let you off then lol!

I know I forgot to delete it myself when I ran it with the new INI system installed and got exactly the same error as you...

TDK_Man
Garfield rules
Years of Service
User Offline
I deleted the TDK_IDE ini file before downloading the program, but I'm still getting that error. I tried deleting it again, still get the error. The same " is not an integer value thing.
Garfield rules
Years of Service
User Offline
Never mind my previous post, I got it to work. As it turned out the problem was I hadn't set the various text and screen colors yet, so there were no integers registered in the ini. I would have edited my previous post to tell you that rather than double post (I know double posting is sometimes frowned on, at least on other forums I've been too), but as I'm a neew user my earlier post won't actually appear until a couple hours after I wrote it, so there's no way I can edit it right now. Anyway, isn't there a way you could get the ini file to generate some default values for the text colors and such?
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
TDK, could we maybe have a list of major bugs?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 23:03
Quote: "isn't there a way you could get the ini file to generate some default values for the text colors and such"

That's exactly what the new INI system does. If I add entries to the INI file in new versions of the IDE, they will automatically be created where they don't exist in the existing INI file.

That's why you have to delete the old one as it wasn't in the same format.

In fact I've just added a new entry and it works fine.

Quote: "could we maybe have a list of major bugs?"

Erm... the list would be too long! Lol.

The version I'm using at the moment has had a lot of niggly things fixed that were starting to annoy me. I'll post it a little later.

When the beta version is released, I'll accept bug reports, but at the moment there are just too many. I want the beta release to be one in which I've fixed all the bugs I know about!

TDK_Man
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 08:16 Edited at: 15th Aug 2005 08:20
Just uploaded the latest version - V0.1b. Yes that's right, I finally got around to sorting out the version numbers at long last.

V1.0b will be the official beta version.

Anyone who has broadband should goto Tools...System Options and put a tick in the box next to Broadband Connection and the next time I upload a new version, you should be notified when you run it!

If you don't have broadband, you can go to the same place periodically and click on the Check For Update button. (You only get a message if there is an update btw)...

What's New In This Version:

I seem to have done loads, but nothing really exciting.

First of all, the editing window has been tweaked considerably, so you should find it a lot easier to use. Eg:

Copying/pasting is much easier
Clicking on an empty line puts the cursor at the start of the line
Pressing return at the end of an indented line stays indented
Other things like that...

Context Sensitive Help

I've put the basics in, but it's not perfect. Highlight a keyword - like INK and press F1. A box pops up which tells you what parameters it needs.

If you press F1 without a keyword highlighted or the cursor NOT on a keyword, then the HTML help will be launched.

All the context help messages are now built-in to the IDE, so you can delete that keywords.dat file to. This is why the exe has grown a bit!

Help

I've done some more work on the help system, so now you get what you thought you'd clicked on... more or less!

Removed the Load Project button - couldn't see the point in having that!

Function Folder

Added the ability to have all your #Include files in one place so you don't have to have a copy of those you use regularly in every project folder. You can select the folder, but the rest isn't finished yet.

Permanent External Files

There's a section on the Projects Panel for this option, but it's not finished yet, so forget about it. The idea is to select sets of functions you want to autmatically be added to ALL projects - regardless.

Adding Your Own Commands

Started work on this too. Right click on the extra commands window and select Add New Command. In the window that pops up, enter the command name and in the box below, type in or copy/paste the function to be called when you use the command. Once again, not finished.

This also accounts for the new folder called Commands in the rar. Make sure you preserve folder names when you unzip it...

Can't remember what all the other bugs I've fixed are.

The reason I've released this version with so many things started but not finished is a) it's easier to use with all the editor tweaks and b) I'd like to know your thoughts and opinions about the new 'unfinished' features before I go any further.

Anyway, the download: http://www.computechtenerife.com/dbceditor.rar (1MB)

TDK_Man

thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, wow... This keeps getting better and better... The indent thing was really getting on my nerves.

By the way TDK, in your sig, if you want to make a link with text different from the address, you can go like this:

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 21:33
Sig changed - thanks for that!

Let's see what it looks like...

TDK_Man

thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 22:57
Bwaw! I want it for DBP!

TDK - very pretty and looks terribly functional!

DBP + VC Ent.Studio | Maya, MAX, Soft3D, MilkShape, Character FX | 3.0Ghz P4, IC7G, GF 6800GT (primary) / 3200XP, A7N8x, GF 6600GT (secondary) / 6x dual 2.8Ghz Xeon SuperMicro (renderfarm)
Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2005 01:03
Also, for the sig links you can use 'href' instead of 'url'.

-Xol

thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2005 01:24 Edited at: 16th Aug 2005 01:26
Really? Let me try:

EDIT: Nope, if you want to have text that's different from the URL, you have to use url.

Garfield rules
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a question about the "settings" tab. While the display mode and windows settings in it don't work yet, when they do, will these settings go directly into the DBA file, or the DBP file?
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2005 15:56
Garfield rules:

Very good question!

I've not given it a lot of thought to be honest, but I more or less discarded the idea of putting it into the DBA file because of the problems of checking if the info was already there - and updating it if the settings are changed.

It's already stored in the DBP file for each project - it has to be or you would lose the info each time you loaded a dba file.

My initial thought was to inject it into the start of the file which is passed to the compiler and make sure users know they don't have to enter the information into their dba code.

Do you have any thoughts on how you would like it to be done?

TDK_Man

thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
You could just go like this:

and so on at the top of the DBA file, and then tell the IDE to hide lines beginning with "`!!"

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 02:51 Edited at: 18th Aug 2005 02:52
That's the hard way if you don't mind me saying.

Mainly from the point of what's involved when you change the settings.

The IDE has to go looking for the lines then delete and replace (or edit) them - all a waste of time I've discovered.

I actually decided to experiment last night and it's actually working as I suggested in my last post.

When you Syntax Check/Run/Make Exe/Build Final it simply adds the required lines to the file which is thrown at the compiler.

I don't know if you know this already, but when you make a modification to a DBA file and then run WITHOUT SAVING FIRST, the result is that you see your changes.

This is because your saved DBA file is not passed to the compiler.

Instead, a temporary file made from your current source code is. And, as the IDE creates this temporaray file it can add whatever it wants: global variables, functions for extra commands, and of course display settings.

My question is, would users be bothered about a rule of use which says that you can't manually put display commands in your program?

And, what happens if someone loads your program's source code in another IDE?

Actually, come to think of it, if you use the new commands, you couldn't do that anyway! Lol.

Finally another bit of good news - just received permission to include Sparky's collision dll in the IDE, so I'm adding all the new commands for that at the moment!

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 02:54
BTW - forgot to mention...

If any of you are using it at the moment, do you have the check box ticked so it checks on-line for updates?

I want to test the option when the next update is ready, so I need to know if anyone out there is going to be able to receive the update message when I send it!

TDK_Man

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 03:06 Edited at: 18th Aug 2005 03:10
UUuhh, I have the same problem and I don't have anything but the few files in the download of the latest version doesn't work. Here is the image of what is in the folder :

The editor looks exactly like thinkdigital's (except I'm using blue xp theme). Also, I've tried closing and changing the theme and now it won't let me save the theme because of the error.

------------------------
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 03:57
Hmm... something strange is going on here. Let me take a look.

Might be something to do with the new routines for changing the skin.

I'll try changing it myself and see if I can recreate the error.

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 05:17
That was very odd!

I deleted the INI file myself and it was fine so I kept repeating and on about the fourth delete, I got the error.

Tracked it down to the INI reading routine and for some very strange reason if it found an entry missing (which it would if there was no INI file), it just refused to read the default value.

I deleted the values and typed them back in - exactly as they were and it started working again.

Anyway, the next time you run the IDE, you should be told about the new version. If not, go online and click on the Check Update button.

TDK_Man

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 08:32
For the display settings, you could just have a checkbox next to the text field that says "Use this display mode". Then if you want to have fun being lazy and just putting a display mode in the project settings you can do that, or if you're all leet and such you can ignore that feature.

I'm going to eat you!
Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 13:54
The contex sesetive help should be in a small box beside your cursor (much as if you hover your cursor over the start button)

Don't look at my sig!
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 17:55
BearCDP:

Good idea - option added!

Link102:

Yes, that's the intention, but it's not playing ball lol! The help that is in it at the moment is just a temporary measure but is better than nothing I guess.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 20:40
how about an option to delete any unused media in the current folder..

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 21:26
Another error, what does this mean?

Also, How does the download thing work? I clicked it and my firewall went hey editor is escaping and I clicked allow but It did nothing. Does that mean I have the latest version?

------------------------
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 00:30
Zotoaster:

You mean the program scans and compares what media is there with what is loaded in the program, or just a button so you can select what you want to delete manually?

vgames master:

What were you doing when you got that error? It basically means it's trying to write something to a window which isn't there - for example if it's been closed. You shouldn't ever see that error, but then again, what errors should be seen lol.

Try to cause the error again and if you can, please let me know what you did.

Quote: "I clicked allow but It did nothing. Does that mean I have the latest version?"

Yes. As the IDE will check automatically when you run it (if the option is turned on), you don't want a box popping up every time to tell you there's no update. So, it only pops up if there is an update - otherwise you get nothing.

If anyone gets errors and you want to post them here, I don't mind, but you will need to tell me exactly what you were doing when the error occured to give me a fighting chance of fixing them.

TDK_Man

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 01:48
Okay, the Cannot focus a disalbed orinvisible error shows up when I choose to make a new file. So I click the little sheet of paper once (choose spurce and blank file). The little paper button should be pressed down still. Then I click on it again and it gave me the error above. When I choose a new project it doesn't do this. Also, what does I/O error mean? After I make a new source, it gives me the error
Quote: "I/O Error: 123"

What's happening there?

------------------------
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 08:13
Ah OK - sorry, not all options are enabled in the new project panel.

Remember, this isn't a beta release - it isn't really quite good enough to be an alpha one yet either as there's so much unfinished.

Lots will go wrong when you use it, just remember I didn't say it was all working - far from it.

It was only released for people to have a play and let me know what they thought about it.

TDK_Man

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 08:53
So is part of the
Quote: "Remember, this isn't a beta release - it isn't really quite good enough to be an alpha one yet either as there's so much unfinished.
"
the add your own commands thing? I Tried adding one and it didn't show up, then I clicked add, and there was all the stuff I just typed in. Although I think I remember you saying somewhere that that part wasn't finished either you just wanted us to see if we could use it. Not sure though.

------------------------
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 20:08
No that's not done either.

I just wanted comments on how the idea was implemented. Have done a bit more work on it since then though...

TDK_Man

waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2005 05:41
TDK
I like how you IDE is progressing.
Just curious though, Is this the same IDE
that tried to offer editing for DBC and DBPro
at the same time? That was the one I most wanted,
but it vanished about the same time as Rob's came out.
Can you make the "custom" commands optional?
So, if I want to use my own collision system,
I don't have that extra stuff. To make mine fast,
I devided my map up by zones, so all models outside of
the zones are hidden, and only objects in the same zone
are tested for collision.... sorry for the excess info there

My game is pushing 5000 lines and I'm just not ready to alpha-test
it yet. Maybe when I reach a slow point, I'll do a backup and then
give your IDE a wack or two. I still need to do some .dll's for it.
My slow point won't be until next sunday. but I am watching this.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-13 11:53:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-13 11:53:50