Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Any DB Classic Users Interested In This?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 09:31
Autoaupdate works well....Downloading 0.1e now

For game/demo music for YOUR PC productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 18:57
Quote: "The error is: Access violation at address 0055FB25 in module 'Editor.exe'. Read of address 00000008"

If no-one else reports the error (which they haven't), either your exe is broke - or your PC is!

I'd download it again, delete everything and unzip the rar file again.

Actually, I think it's about time I created a ReadMe.Txt file to include in the zip...

TDK_Man

Lord Anki
Years of Service
User Offline
Its what happens when you click on the Current Source button.

~ Lord Anki ~
Creator of: Space Defender
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 19:14
I get an error: "'0.1' is not a valid floating point value" when I wanted to check for updates...

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 20:22 Edited at: 28th Aug 2005 20:24
Hint for TDK in case he didn't know this already (it once had caused me lots of headaches before I found out what it was ).
The above error that SvenB reports occurs when you use Delphi library functions like StrToFloat with non-english Windows systems. As most other countries use a comma as decimal seperator.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Version 1.08
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 22:29
Thanks for the heads up on that empty.

That one could have been a problem for me to find as I'm using a Spanish system and it doesn't happen for me - we use commas and full stops back to front here too!

For anyone who doesn't know, it's a strange way, but 10000 in Europe is not 10,000 - like in the UK and USA - but 10.000 which takes a bit of getting used to...

TDK_Man

Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2005 14:01
lol... i wonder if you can put something like being able to put the windows skin. It looks crazy but my XP have Windows blind ^^

True Phantasy
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 00:16
F Is For Frivolous

Was it?

It's a tradition that release f of my software always has something silly in it - and the IDE is of course no exception...

TDK_Man

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 06:34
NICE IDE!! I just got .1f!! I really really like it!!

------------------------
Visit my website of Games!
http://dabip.stonerocket.net
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 20:56
Thanks. Should be better when it's finished!

No-one else have any comments about V0.1f - I expected more than this to be honest lol...

TDK_Man

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 02:23
Well, maybe people have been busy. I really like the chat thing. That way you can find help without leaving the IDE!! The only problem I see with it is while your testing your game it might try to get you to read all the messages then you exit out of your game testing and you are back to the IDE. I"m not sure if it will do this though. When I finally logged in, no one was there.

------------------------
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 02:51
Maybe when a few more users realise it's there, it might get used a bit more.

I've been logged on most of the day and not seen anyone yet. But I can't be logged on at the same time as working on it, so that's why I didn't see you on there.

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 20:42
Just thought of a new option for the IDE - Nesting Error solving.

Instead of just saying 'Nesting Error', it tells you what's missing and what to do to fix it.

Would anyone find this useful?

TDK_Man

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 20:53 Edited at: 31st Aug 2005 20:54
Heck, I would! Sometimes, I forget to add an endif, or I add an extra endif, or it could just be the next a ending. I do that often. So, I think I would find it usefull.

------------------------
nojbox87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 22:40
yes would be good. love it all so far
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 22:57
Maybe add something that it adds the endif, next, until, endwhile, etc.
For you so you won't forget it...

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 23:11
That would be pretty frustrating because it would know where to put it. I might put it at the end of your loop or something like that. I don't think it would be THAT good of an idea But ut telling you that an endif is missing would be good, and what if you never a endif!

------------------------
I'm looking for a new free website host. Email me if you know of a good one without ads! dab_it_pro@yahoo.com
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 02:18
Sven B

That base is already covered - sort of.

If you right click on an empty line of your source code, a pop-up appears with all the available DB loop templates (inc Functions).

When you select one, it opens up a box so if you for example selected For...Next, it asks you for the variable name, the start and end values and inserts the code for you - including the Endif.

No, what I thought was another tool in the Toolbox, (if anyone has seen the Toolbox that is). If you get the standard DB 'Nesting error' you use the tool from the toolbox and it highlights the 'If' without the Endif, or the 'While' without the EndWhile and so on.

Basically it would actually tell you what caused the nesting error.

TDK_Man

thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 02:30 Edited at: 1st Sep 2005 02:36
I'd like it, downloading the new version now. Did you submit anything to the newsletter, that'd cause an uproar And why don't you create a banner or something for you sig.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 03:46
Quote: "Did you submit anything to the newsletter, that'd cause an uproar"

Why so? Sorry I don't understand that...

I've never liked banners - it's not my sort of thing. Your programs should stand up for themselves without banners lol!

TDK_Man

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 07:57
Wow TDK it's really coming along. The chat thing is cool too, but what's this about needing an account?

I'm going to eat you!
nojbox87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 10:45
like that chat thing apart from other people not being on but i only signed up last night though
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 14:46
BearCDP:

It's a free account with Sparta Messenger, (a chat program written by my son) - something you need to be able to talk to other users, (who must also create an account).

It's no different to Yahoo Messenger or MSM in that respect so others can't log on in your name. If you don't want to use the chat side of things, you don't need to get an account and the option will remain disabled.

Later I will be adding a 'Don't Auto-Sign Me In' option as well as 'Sign Me Out', 'Ignore This Person' and 'Hide Me' in case you are busy and don't want to be bothered.

I thought it would be useful if/when a few more people were using the IDE, if you were stuck on a bit of code, you could quickly ask if anyone knew how to do X or Y and get a quick answer.

If you were a newcomer to programming, it would actually be possible for someone else to see your source window and modify it for you, but I don't think I'll be going that far lol!

nojbox87:

As the odd one or two people using it are in different time zones, you will more often than not find no-one there at the moment. It doesn't mean it's not working though - so long as it says at the bottom that you are logged in as username.

TDK_Man

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 17:35
How can I log in? I did it once. But I closed the program. When I opend it back up, it said I had to log in. I Went into system options and re-typed all my info and hit okay, this time it said, chat disabled. How can I nenable it?

------------------------
I'm looking for a new free website host. Email me if you know of a good one without ads! dab_it_pro@yahoo.com
nojbox87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 23:02
k found some problems and small suggestions.
1) The main problem is that once i have executed my programme a few times it suddely decides that it cant load the dll whereas it could before.
2)sometimes when i click the save icon it just saves and other times it asks me where i want to save it is this supposed 2 happen?
3) Just a very small minor suggestion, when it asks you where u want to save can u make it so that .DBA files are automatically shown so u dont have to go down the drop down to show them every time
thx, and still loving it
nojbox87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 23:43
sorry about being really annoying but after running my programme the IDE totally crashed and i have to end task it
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Well TDK, everybody reads the newsletter, right? DBC users haven't had and IDE this good since... um... Have we ever had an IDE this good? There's always Code Keeper, but it always asked for files that didn't come with it, so I ignored it. And the post title doesn't really shout out "new DBC IDE!"

But if it were in the newsletter (which I am sure many people read), you might get quite a few people interested.

And the banner was just a suggestion, some like them, some don't
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 05:48
CodeKeeper also stopped compiling my code after it got past a few hundred lines

That chat feature is really neat TDK, I don't have much use for it now, but I may go get an account for the hell of it. I love this editor.

I'm going to eat you!
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 14:54
vgames master:

I'll recheck my code for that side of things. I created quite a few new accounts during testing and didn't have any probs but I'll check it again - you never know...

If you are sure you successfully set up a new Sparta account, you should be able to go to System Options, enter your ID name and password then click on OK to exit system options and it should log you in. If not, exit the program and re-run it.

If it still says 'Chat Disabled', open the file C:\TDK_IDE.INI with Notepad and check the lines in the [Chat] section.

If chat is enabled, the first entry should say

Account Created=1

... followed by your username and password.

If it says Account Created=0 then change it to 1 and make sure your username and password are entered like this:

[Chat]
Account Created=1
Account ID=MyUsername
Account PW=MyPassword

When you run it, it should connect. If not, you either didn't create the chat ID or you have the wrong username or password.

I now have a log-in monitoring program which notifies me now when people log on - even when I'm working on the IDE, so if you want to let me know what usernames you've used I can see when you log on to the chat server.

If there are enough of you, we'll have to decide on a time of day where we can all try and log on at the same time and see if it all works!

Please post what time zone you are all in - preferably the hours in front of - or behind - GMT you are so I can chose the best time for a test.

nojbox87:

1) The IDE doesn't use DLL's. Unless you mean your program doesn't load a DLL. If so, the problem can't be anything to do with the IDE as it's not involved in the process at all. (All the IDE does is pass your complete program to the DB compiler and has no other involvement). Sounds like you might not be releasing the dll in your own program when you exit...

2) No. Save uses the current filename and only asks you for a filename if you are saving the file for the first time. I've never seen this happen. Anyone else?

3) This is a small bug in the skin component I'm using and I can't find a way around it atm. I'm waiting on advice from the author of the component.

If I don't hear anything from them by the next release, I'll temporarily stop using it and go back to the default Windows dialogue which works fine - despite looking out of place with no matching skin.

Quote: "after running my programme the IDE totally crashed and i have to end task it"

This may be tied in with your dll problem...

Quote: "the post title doesn't really shout out "new DBC IDE!""

When I think it's good enough for a beta release, I'll start a new thread on the WIP forum with a less cryptic title.

Quote: " CodeKeeper also stopped compiling my code after it got past a few hundred lines"

Hmmm... I've never tested the IDE with huge files. Have you? More importantly, did it work OK?

TDK_Man

nojbox87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 17:06
humm ok thx its just when i used the collision dll in the DB editor it never had a problem ok will check my code then
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 17:26
What I'm saying is that any DLL used in DB is loaded by your DB program and called by your DB program. The IDE isn't involved in any part of the process, so DLL problems can't be down to the IDE.

The source in the IDE code window is passed to the compiler and from that moment, the IDE isn't involved until you exit your program and drop back into the IDE.

I can't think of any possible way that any function of the IDE could affect dll use in your program at all..

However, please let me know if your code is OK and it works fine in the DB editor and Dark Edit but not in this IDE. If you can supply a bit of example code to show the problem, that would be a great help too. I have the dll already.

TDK_Man

thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
True. Looks great TDK!
Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 21:10
Hey TDK, this is getting better all the time...
Got the help files up occasionally as well (not all the time though which was strange)...
Managed to get the chat up too, but I was all alone (sob)....

Still having problems loading some source, but not all so I'm not sure why that is.....I'll keep trying though

Keep up the great work !!!

For game/demo music for YOUR PC productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 21:14

Is one of the examples I couldn't load into the editor.....(one of the darkmatter enhancement demos)

nojbox87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 00:33
humm i have had no problems with the help it works perfectly for me everytime. but it still crashes every now and then after running a programme. very stange and no obviouse pattern
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 01:21
I've just discovered (and fixed) a bug which stopped the loading of some dba files.

If the filename is called say MyProgram.dba it will load fine.

If the file is called MyProgram.DBA it will not. Silly error, but the IDE won't load files where the dba extension is in upper case.

For now, use explorer to rename the file from .DBA to .dba and those files will load.

As I said, that will be fixed for the next release.

TDK_Man

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 04:12
Okay, I guess I'll have to try this again. Oh by the way, I used the same username as on the forum : vgamesmaster. So yah. I'm really liking your IDE. Would you say its ready to be used for our everyday projects yet? Or no? I'm getting tired of using the plain old DB editor. Oh wait, I'm using it already as my default. Not sure if I should though.

------------------------
Cybershark 5886
Years of Service
User Offline
TDK posted: You can use any programming language so long as it creates compiled exe's. I use Delphi (Pascal), though you could use C++ or I hate to say this, but even VB. You also need to be able to access the Windows API, so it's not the easiest thing to do if you are new to programming. I've been practicing for over 25 years!

Well, I've heard that VB makes accessing the API very easy. Or so Microsoft would like to brag with their new .NET framework. Plus you don't have to write tons of code to create an object while VB uses Classes to automatically instanciate objects in it's IDE. I guess I'll find out eventually though, I'm taking an introductory class on VB.NET. Other than VB, QBasic, and DarkBasic I know no other programming languages. So what do I know? :p

Thanks for the info.
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 13:07
Hehe, that explains why I couldn't load my dba files in your editor. (One of the previous posts I posted)

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 13:08
Ooh, chat bug ::

[Insert extremely witty comment here] :: Add me to MSN if you like, but don't expect any big favours [unless you like VB6]. ... IDK!!
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 13:09
It should be OK, but I can't 100% guarantee it.

You should still only use it on backups of your files unless you don't mind losing the code you are working on...

I'm not going to give it the all-clear just yet...

TDK_Man

nojbox87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 13:11
the chat bug did the opposit my end his name came up twice
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 17:48
Hey, you couldn't optimize the syntax-hilighting function a bit, could you?

With my 400 line code file, (on average about 3 words the syntax hilighter hilights per line) it's impossible to type smoothly, I'm guessing due to the fact that the entire file is being re-scanned for every letter.

Would it be possible to only re-hilight the current line when typing?

(Btw, it hilights the file no matter whether I turn 'Syntax Hilighting' on or off in the Options.)

[Insert extremely witty comment here] :: Add me to MSN if you like, but don't expect any big favours [unless you like VB6]. ... IDK!!
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 18:08
Quote: " the chat bug did the opposit my end his name came up twice"

That's fixed now.

Quote: "you couldn't optimize the syntax-hilighting function a bit, could you?"

Yes - it's just enabled with all the defaults atm, so on large files it will be a bit slow. Will look at speeding it up for the next release.

TDK_Man

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 18:49
Really nice, my extremely better then me companion
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 19:51
Indeed, it's the best editor out there for DBC at the moment, especially with development actively continuing...

Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 20:22
Quote: "For now, use explorer to rename the file from .DBA to .dba and those files will load."

Yep, works fine on those other DBA files now

Nice one TDK, look forward to the next release...

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 02:24
Okay, I haven't has any problem loading my files but thanks for the heads up!

------------------------
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 03:52
Just adding this post to make a new page as without it, when you click on 'last page' the forum screws up and says the thread is empty!

TDK_Man

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 15:41
Ha. I have my settings set to 13 posts per page, and 46 threads per page on the main forum screen...

Part of the 'Emergency Response Noob Shooting Team' :: Feel free to add me to MSN, but don't expect any big favours [unless you like VB6]. ... I pwn small creatures.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 14:22:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 14:22:18