Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Any DB Classic Users Interested In This?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2005 07:56 Edited at: 21st Aug 2005 01:43
Yes, it's the same one.

At the time, there was very little interest in it, so I shelved it.

I recently started on my Particle Generator and was using Dark Edit and started getting annoyed with the error line number reporting when I started using include files, so I dug out the old code and decided to finish it off.

With plenty of good alternative DBPro IDE's available I thought no-one would want another, so I stripped all the DBP code from it and decided to make it DB Classic only.

Quote: "Can you make the "custom" commands optional?"

Yes they are now. I just finished changing the way it works. Instead of being embedded into the IDE, all the functions now sit in the Commands folder as separate files.

From within the IDE, you can edit or remove them from the list or create your own by pasting your own function into the box, naming the new command and adding a help prompt string.

When you hit OK, a new command file is created in the Commands folder so if you don't want any of the supplied commands you can just take them out.

Likewise for the commands for the in-built Sparky's DLL if you don't want to use them.

TDK_Man

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2005 01:40
Wow, TDK, you're doing GREAT! This ide is turning out to be perfect! Of course right now I'm sure it's nowhere near but soon it will be, I can see it now. TGC will pay you to put your ide in the DBC kit. Hey, who knows, anythings possible!

------------------------
Visit my website of Games!
http://dabip.stonerocket.net
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2005 06:41 Edited at: 21st Aug 2005 06:45
Getting this error and it wont let me run a program because of it.
edit
Nevermind I got it to work

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Garfield rules
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried to update, but when I do... First it says I have the latest version of the IDE, but then it says "New update available:V 0.1c". And it doesn't let me download the new version, because, somehow, even though there's a new update available, the IDE thinks I already have the latest version of it. The screenshots you show say you're using 0.1c, is that the latest version? I'm currently running 1.0a.
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2005 08:32
That part most likely isnt finished yet.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2005 08:40
TDK,

The IDE is looking pretty nice! and great to see your still alive and kicking !

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice!Play Basic (Release V1.088 Out Now)- Play Extreme with Play Basic FX {TBA}
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2005 11:55
hey TDK, i tried it, and it looked cool, but it didnt work, and i kept trying to delete TDK_IDE.INI, but it kept coming back :S

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2005 19:55
Garfield rules:

The update option is working OK, but you are using an old version of the IDE. Read back through the posts in the thread to the last update and you'll see what you've missed.

I am working on V0.1c at the moment which will become V0.1d when I release it.

uwdesign:

Thanks - you too!

Zotoaster:

It will keep coming back - it's supposed to. When the last version was released, the INI file format changed so you had to delete the old one or the IDE errored when you ran it. You only had to delete it once though, then go and put the settings back in System Options in the new version.

With the new INI format, any future changes will NOT require you to delete the INI and put all your details back in again.

If anyone is experiencing problems running the IDE, please check the following:

1. When you unzip the rar, it should create a folder called Commands in the same directory as the IDE exe. If it isn't there, delete everything in the IDE folder and unzip it again making sure you preserve folder names.

2. If you delete the file C:\TDK_IDE.INI then you will have to go back into the IDE's System Options and set all your preferences back up. This only has to be done once - unless you delete the INI file again.

3. V0.1c was the last version released. Any V1.0 version is an old version so if you have one of these, delete EVERYTHING in the IDE directory, delete the file C:\TDK_IDE.INI then download and unzip V0.1c into the same directory. When you run the IDE the first time after that, you will have to set the options back up again.

When the beta version is released, it will have an installer, so you won't have to worry about what goes where.

TDK_Man

Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 10:23
Hi TDK-nicer weather in Tenerife than Doncaster ? J/K
Great IDE this, and it's nice to see stuff coming out for DBC still
(just need some speed enhancements to DBC lol)...

With regards to your IDE, how far off is the rebuilding and rerelease of the DBP one ?
TBH I don't ever recall seeing yours previously and after using Blue/Twilight and also Jabpro it would be nice to try yours.
Keep up the great work !

For game/demo music for YOUR PC productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 16:42
Quote: "nicer weather in Tenerife than Doncaster ?"

Just a little bit I would imagine - but we don't have any horse racing here though lol!

Quote: "how far off is the rebuilding and rerelease of the DBP one ?
"

I've abandoned the DBP support in the IDE - there are enough alternative DBPro IDE's out there already, so I don't think we need another one.

This is going to be DB Classic only.

I still have the DBP version installer somewhere if you want to have a play, though I can't remember what state it was at when I abandoned it. And sorry... I definitely won't be doing any more work on it.

TDK_Man

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 17:31
How do you make your own commands in your editor. I can't seem to find it...

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 17:47
In V0.1c, the option isn't finished. The last screenshot was from the version I'm working on (which will be V0.1d when I release it).

If you have Additional Commands on the General tab of the project panel, then you should be able to right click on the commands list to bring up a pop-up menu.

As I said, it doesn't fully work - it's just to give you an idea of how the finished thing might work. As it happens, it was changed to how it's shown in the last screenshot anyway.

I should be releasing V0.1d in the next day or so...

TDK_Man

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 18:49
Eyz, you're right. Stupid I didn't thought of that.

I get a "I/O error 123" when I create a new blank DBA project without name. A bug?

Also, is this normal I can't load anything? The "load project" button doesn't do anything and the "load source" button opens a browser but doesn't load the file I want to load...

Maybe it's just because it's unfinished. I don't know very much about these things..

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 20:52
Yes that's right - a lot hasn't been completed yet. Anything that doesn't work is not a bug - it's probably not been written!

On a different subject...

I'm having major problems with error reported line numbers - especially with runtime errors. Can anyone reading this check something out for me please, (DBC only)?

Enter this code in the editor you use, hit F5 and let me know what line number is reported back as being the problem.

For me, DB says the line number the error on is line 10 - the End line. The reported error is correct though - Object does not exist.

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 23:23 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2005 01:23
Version 0.1d has now been uploaded. If you have the option to autocheck for updates turned on, you should be notified when you next run it.

If the Broadband option is turned off, you'll have to go to System Options and click on the Check For Updates button.

What's New:

Adding your own commands should now work OK, but it doesn't yet colour code your new commands in the editor window. Editing existing commands is done as well, but Delete command is not yet implemented.

To add your own command, load the command function into the IDE, highlight it and copy it with Ctrl-C.

Right click on the Additional Commands dropdown box and select Add New Command from the pop-up menu.

Paste the function into the code box, enter a name for the command and enter a help prompt in the last box. Click OK and you can now use the command in the IDE.

Error Line Numbers:

I've done a fair bit of work on this, but it's not been easy. DB doesn't seem to report runtime error line numbers at all. The error message will be correct, but it doesn't have a clue what line number the error occurred, so I'm not sure what the next step is.

Syntax errors are reported correctly, so they aren't a problem.

I have also fixed the 'error in include file' problem so if there's an error in an include file, the IDE automatically calculates the correct line number in the include file and then switches to the include file and displays the correct line.

This only works if you have a single include line though at the moment.

[Edit] Oops - forgot to mention - I also fixed the problem that stopped you openening a plain DBA file from the new project panel too. Haven't had time to test the option out fully yet though!...

TDK_Man

Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 17:57
Still unable to actually load anything from my projects folder yet
Also, I can't get the DB help up...I'm using your IDE version 1.0d in the c:\TDK_IDE folder and my dark basic classic is in D:\DARK BASIC SOFTWARE\DARK BASIC....
(Any chance of a link to the DBPro ide yet btw?)

For game/demo music for YOUR PC productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 19:14
DBPro IDE. TDK is sayin he stopped creating the IDE for pro...

But he's right about the help files. It says it can't find /main.htm...

Great work BTW!

Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 19:18
Quote: " DBPro IDE. TDK is sayin he stopped creating the IDE for pro..."

He did say earlier he might find the old installer for it for me/us to play with

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 19:29
Must've read over it...

Peace

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 20:00
Yep, that IDE looks great.
Did you get my email by the way?

Play Nice! Play Basic! Version 1.08
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 20:03 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2005 20:17
Fash:

Project files are loaded automatically. Just open the .dba file and the project data is loaded automatically and if there isn't a dbp file you will be asked if you want to create one.

I don't have any problems with that. Is yours not working?

empty:

Yes thanks - working on it!

Had quite a few e-mails recently and been so busy with the IDE, haven't had chance to reply to them yet, so apologies for that! Will get around to replying as soon as I can.

BTW - apologies also for screwing up the help system in the last release. I don't know what happened there. Will fix it for V0.1e!

Looking for the old DBPro version of the IDE now. Will upload in a few minutes when I find it.

TDK_Man

Cybershark 5886
Years of Service
User Offline
Your Program looks really neat TDK. I just have one question though, how do you create/edit your own IDE? What kind of program do you use and what elements (in breif overview) are involved?

Well,...ok maybe that's 3 questions but... they're all related!
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
I missed 1.0c completely, lol Had to get myself a new account, been noob slapped, decided to use the old one until somebody got rid of it, I was worried about other things...

Downloading 1.0d now
Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 11:16
@TDK....
No, still not working...open project doesn't do anything...
open source will give me the option to pick my source, but when I try loading it nothing is displayed on the screen....
(maybe there's some other framework I need to download/install?)

Also if I click on a dark basic source file and select "open with" then browse to the editor location the editor doesn't show in the programs section either...

Any ideas ?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 11:44
Cybershark 5886:

You can use any programming language so long as it creates compiled exe's. I use Delphi (Pascal), though you could use C++ or I hate to say this, but even VB. You also need to be able to access the Windows API, so it's not the easiest thing to do if you are new to programming. I've been practicing for over 25 years!

Fash:

Like I said last time, "Project files are loaded automatically. Just open the .dba file and the project data is loaded automatically and if there isn't a dbp file you will be asked if you want to create one."

Unless you are trying to confuse me lol! You did say:

Quote: "open project doesn't do anything"

Where's that button then?! AFAIK, there isn't a Load Project button!

Ahhh... hang on a minute... are you by any chance using the obsolete options on the menu?? OK, I've not done anything to the menu items since before I converted it from being a DBPro IDE. I'll fix that for the next release.

For now, please don't use the menu - just the buttons that run across the top of the screen!

Quote: "Also if I click on a dark basic source file and select "open with" then browse to the editor location the editor doesn't show in the programs section either..."

That only appears when a program is finished and is installed with a proper installer, (which it will eventually). You don't get that if you just unzip a rar file.

Methinks you have joined the thread late in the game and not read all the posts. Am I right or am I right?

Way back in the thread, I have mentioned on numerous occasions that this IDE was in the VERY early stages and was only half working. It's not even alpha stage ready, never mind beta stage.

It was only released for people to have a play with and suggest additions or things to change before I did much of the coding.

It's nowhere near fully functional yet, so bear that in mind while you are playing with it - there's every chance it could throw a fit and completely zap your source code. Only work with a backup of your DBA files - I cannot be held responsible if it grinds any of your work into a milky pulp! Which it is capable of I can assure you!

TDK_Man

Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 14:18
Quote: "Methinks you have joined the thread late in the game and not read all the posts. Am I right or am I right? "

Cor blimey guvner, you've tumbled me !
Teach me to jump in on page 2
Will continue playing and testing and not speak without reading fully first (DOH!)
Cheers mate

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 14:31
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 15:08
I don't get the loading thing...

I can't load ANYTHING. Not even autoloading or the loading button at the top (not in the menu)...

Maybe because I only unzipped it?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 16:41
Have you set the settings in the System Options - one of the few things that does work on the menu lol!

Most of the common problems people have been having have been covered in earlier threads, (like deleting the old INI file and checking that you have the correct files/folders etc), so have a quick scan back though them if you are still having problems.

All I can say is that I've had no problems loading .DBA files in the last four or five releases.

TDK_Man

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 04:40
Fash - don't forget that there's the browse button in the Open With dialog .

TDK, I did the runtime error reporting test (don't know if you're still working on it, but whatevah), and the CLI came up and told me the error was at line 12 (and of course, same thing in DBCompile.log), and then the status bar in your ide said the error was at line 9.

I'm going to eat you!
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 13:23
I filled everything in the system options and I deleted the .ini file and refilled everything in the system options. And I'm still not able to load anything.
If I click on the "open DBA source file" button on top, I get a browser window, but it doesn't load anything...

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 14:04
BearCDP

Yes, there will always be a difference between what the CLI says and what the IDE says because a) the CLI isn't always correct and b) the program it runs/compiles isn't the same as what you see in the IDE - extra code is added like screen mode, extra commands, Include files etc.

The important thing is that it should highlight the line with the error on it when you arrive back at the IDE. And, unlike other IDE's, I've tried to make this work even if the error is in the Include file - it should switch the code window to the Include file and highlight the faulty line. Not that easy!

So, I guess that I've not totally solved that one yet...

As there are so many permutations, it's been difficult to create a function that does this correctly on every occasion.

It all depends on whether the error is compile-time or run-time (because DB.exe gets one right and one wrong), how many include files have been added and how many extra lines the IDE has inserted - and where!

Sven B:

Well, you have me baffled. I, or no-one else has had this problem.

You say you get the browser window but it doesn't load anything. To confirm, do you mean the browser window doesn't load anything (no dba files appear), or dba files appear but when you select one and hit OK, the IDE doesn't load them?

I'd ask what version you are using, but it wouldn't matter as no previous version has ever failed to load a .DBA file like you are describing. V0.1d is the current one anyway.

This IDE should load ANY dba file that DarkEdit can load, so in theory, anything this one cannot load, DarkEdit shouldn't be able to either so you could try that.

Also, create a new project, give it a name, save it and then close it. Can you load it back in again after?

TDK_Man

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 14:43
The second: If I click OK, the editor doesn't load them.

I tried to create a new source file. I saved it in the default DBC folder (Though I did get an I-O error), and when I tried to open it, it worked! . But this was also the only thing that loaded... The rest of the projects I made with the default DBC editor, didn't load...

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 15:14
In that case, I don't have a clue what to suggest.

I'm curious as to why you get an I/O error when you create a new project though. Creating a new project, you just enter the project name and the directory with that name is created automatically, (so it shouldn't already exist), and a new projectname.dba file is created inside it.

Anyone else have this problem - or seen it?

TDK_Man

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 15:16
Nono, I get an error when I create and then "save it as". And click yes with "set primary project" or somthing... (I get I/O error 105)

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 08:33
Don't use Save As.. then - just Save and I'll take a look at the Save As.. routines when I get chance.

TDK_Man

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 08:50
So TDK when is the new version gonna be here? Oh and when will the help function be finished?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 21:14
Should have the next version out this weekend.

TDK_Man

nojbox87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 21:29
i have a similar problem but i get error messages regually and the help doesnt work :S however i have only read page 1 and this page of this post so i may have missed the solution. i get a message like '" is not a valid integer value'every time i try to do anything
nojbox87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 21:34
oh yes found the solution. should really read all of this first before complaining. sry
Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 21:49
Quote: " Fash - don't forget that there's the browse button in the Open With dialog"
I know, tried it and found the exe but it won't default to it.

Actually I've managed to open most of my dba files that are stored in the project directory I specify in settings. The ones I've been trying but don't seem to load are the examples that come with darkmatter/db enhanced-they just don't load up at all, even if I move the folders from it's directory to the main myproj folder...
Crazy stuff !

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 22:52
Don't worry, we'll sort out all the problems eventually.

Once I get the beta version finished and released, you can tell me about all the strange things that are happening to you and I'll work through them.

Thanks for putting up with it in the meantime though!

TDK_Man

Garfield rules
Years of Service
User Offline
Just downloaded 0.1d, and this IDE is just getting better and better. But for some reason I can't get the help options to work, it says something like it can't find the file path or something, but that doesn't make sense because the 0.1c found the help files just fine, and 0.1d is in the exact same folder the older one was in, the DarkBasic folder. I do like being able to skip from label to label by simply clicking on their names in the list, it makes working on large source codes easier (and faster).
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 10:53
Maybe you can add the option for the link to the help files in the option menu?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 20:03 Edited at: 27th Aug 2005 20:04
Garfield rules

Yes sorry about that, I did something stupid which fixed one problem and caused half a dozen others. The help files were one of the things that I didn't check before 0.1d went out. Sh*t happens...

Hopefully, 0.1e will sort quite a few things out which have been mentioned recently...

Sven:

That shouldn't be necessary as the help files are always in the same place. Nope, this one is down to the idiot who's writing the IDE I'm afraid...

TDK_Man

Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 21:09
Quote: " Should have the next version out this weekend."

'tis the weekend mate
Any new build to play with ?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 22:18
Yes - working on it as I speak!

V0.1e should be released this evening (Sat night).

* Fixed the help
* Tidied up most of the menu entries
* Many bugs squished

I've also started a bug list text file, so when the new version is posted, you can start letting me have your bugs to add to it...

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 02:21
Was anyone notified??

TDK_Man

Lord Anki
Years of Service
User Offline
TDK,

I don't know if this has been reported or not but it says that i am using the latest version of the IDE.

The error is: Access violation at address 0055FB25 in module 'Editor.exe'. Read of address 00000008

Great IDE though. Also how do I add another source file into the project?

~ Lord Anki ~
Creator of: Space Defender
Lord Anki
Years of Service
User Offline
I was.

~ Lord Anki ~
Creator of: Space Defender

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-13 13:48:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-13 13:48:45