Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Dumbo & Cool - demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 01:13
Drew, how long has this game been in development?

"people who wear clothing with tech themes for the purpose of gaining a social label are no different than teenagers who wear large sweatpants to look edgy"
-Wikipedia "Nerd"
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 11:50 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2005 21:52
Since December - I moved it to DBP in February. That'd be about 9 months now, which is quite long for me! The Old Remedy 3DS, Dumbo's Adventure and Time Ship all took 3 months a piece.

I'm hoping to squeeze in another full, (freeware) game before Christmas too - 'Oddworld RTS'; so it's going to be a busy year right until the end.

I've got bigger plans for 2006 though, and Dumbo & Cool are already involved. I can't wait to get onto something new, because TBH this project is getting really stale.

Katie Holmes is back!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 20:12
Looking brilliant Drew, Dumbo and Cool too . It ran a bit slow for me, but the framerate seemed consistant.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 80%
Want to try the beta? E-mail me.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 21:31
Benjamin - try going into 'graphical options' in the options screen and turning everything to 'off' or 'hidden' for some serious speed boosts. Level 1 for instance has 667 objects in full mode, but only 195 when the options are all on there lowest setting. Not bed, eh?

Katie Holmes is back!
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
got off the first level, but too dumb to finish the second, havent tried puzzle mode, I agree with the earlier comment about the water, can`t you do something like add a world size transparent plain with some flecks on it or something?, it looks like it isn`t there from some angles, very good work though, it shows what can be done when you put some work into a program.

the average IQ is 100...but the people that took the test where trying to look smart. most people don`t go over 50.
Area 51?, I`m more intrested in what they have in areas 1 to 50
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 18:02
That water problem seems to crop up on ATI machines - sorry, not much I can do about it.

Katie Holmes is back!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 18:47
Quote: "Not bed, eh?"

Not bed at all.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 20:37 Edited at: 24th Aug 2005 20:49
Heh, i love this game...can't believe i didn't see this new demo until now!...i need to check program announcements more often

downloading now...

[edit] crashed when i hit "continue game" got this in a txt
Quote: "[COMMON]
PathToEXE=Crogram FilesDark Basic SoftwareTutorials and old projectsGamesDaCdemoCrashOn_08_24_05.txt
[CEXE]
m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=0
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=733"

was it because i had no game to continue?

[edit2] crashed when i tried new game as well...

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 22:49
That should all be fixed in next weeks 'patch', don't worry Peter_, and thanks for the help!

Katie Holmes is back!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 04:50
I've played the demo twice in a row... very impressive! I would work on the loading screen though, and the health bar felt a bit plain. But those are very small problems, and in general I really liked it. Just curious (you may have already answered this), but will there be a boss level in the end, or will it just be the closing vid?

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 18:33
Thanks Bizar Guy,

Quote: "but will there be a boss level in the end"

No boss, but Dumbo & Cool do meet the game's villain, Lecture, and explosions ensue.

Katie Holmes is back!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 21:20 Edited at: 25th Aug 2005 21:20
Hi everyone

I'm the "Downloaded-Dumbo&Cool-but-forgot-it-was-on-my-D-Drive-Guy".

Well, having played the crap out of the old D&C demos, this one felt most polished. The attention to detail is unlike any other DBP game made. Snowflakes leave small sparks on the ground, red lights cause cool spinning effects, and the particles (especially the characters transformation) is just plain wicked.

My only complaint is I like playing with the super-fast Cool so much, I always groan whenever I have to switch over to Dumbo. She needs like a jetpack ability or something.

And another thing...I...wee!!!

The future is here, and I can't afford it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jake Blues
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 00:45
Hey Drew,

I've been away from the forums for awhile working on my project and I forgot to check up with this. It's awesome. It looks great and feels just like an N64 game. My only complaint is that the character needs to rotate faster.

I like the Katie ads for Dumbo and Cool

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 20:35
Hi Drew,

Sorry for not talkin/replying for ages My main PC got a nasty infection of Zotob.D, and cannot connect to the internet properly.

So I'm stuck with 56k for a while

As for DaC, in-between my huge secret project (which is nearly playable) I'm gonna have an evening of smashing the game to pieces (may include my PC screen if I keep losing ).

Also, although the offer of a free version of the game is tempting, I will have to decline. I know I've contributed a few bugs, but I would feel rather guilty for getting a free game for effectively nothing, since I haven't really helped you squash the crash bugs.

Anyway, smashing [the game] tonght
Report my findings a.s.ap

EDIT: Maybe its just the mystery of game testing, but each and every time I arrange a bit of spare time to test DaC, my Dad ends up ordering in a Pizza for dinner. Weird

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 10:18
Megaton Cat, thanks.

Neodragon, thanks, you can change the character turn speed yourself in the options screen.

David R, Okay - look foward to hearing from you.

Katie Holmes is back!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2005 06:52
This is a truely amazing game. yup. yesssiry. Definitely my favorite DBpro game, and I'll definitely be buying it.

I was also amazed at the amount of attention paid to detail. And am impatient to try new levels.

The quality of this game has made awaiting your others even more frustrating.

Again, This is a great game. I wont be surprised if they add a link to it in the games section.

And there not being a boss level is fine. Meeting the villan andhaving explosions is good on it's own.

It's midnight where I am, and I haven't slept in two days... I consider progaming to be no less than an extremely potent and addicting black hole from which you can never escape, but if it's at all possible, I mean that in a good way. No I don't. I just mean I love making games. Ignore this last part.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2005 11:35
Thanks man, glad you like it.

Katie Holmes is back!
The Cage Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 02:50
Ouch! Here is my favorite DBP game! I do love sounds & musics. My only small regret is the lack of details in the levels (useless objects & other stuffs only for the eyes). If so, it'd be fantastic. At this point, it's "only" REALLY GREAT !

xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 16:11
Excellent game. I like the sounds and music too, and it's very enjoyable to play.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 18:04
Again, thankyou all!

@ The Cage Complex - there is some useless stuff in the later levels, such as puddles that splash when you walk through them and log fires that can set the player on fire, but I'm not too keen on novelty touches in my games. I think it's just wasted development time adding things such as 'shootable glass' etc... unless it serves the gameplay. Sorry, and thansk for the comments!

@ xtom - Great to hear you like it, I've played your Bubble Bobble game before which was very sharp, so it's good to hear your opinion.

Katie Holmes is back!
KYP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 02:30
wow. wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. This is the awesomeist game in the history of the universe. i will buy it. there are only 2 problems:
1: The mini-games run way too slowly.

2: There are not enough levels on that demo! I need more levels.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 15:09
Not to hi-jack the thread...but..

@Xtom- WOW! so you're the one who made bubble bobble! hehe, that was basically the first quality DB game i ever played...and it impressed me greatly...if it wheren't for you i might not be programming now

That was a great game and i spent hours on it so i could beat it

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 19:22
What peter_ said, Xtom. And, great job Drew!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 19:48
OCTOBER 31st IS HERE...

Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought it was August 31st today...

The happenings of tommorow are behind us now
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 22:59
Uh... Look! A distraction!!!! Runs away as fast as he can.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 13:47
I've been busy getting back to where I was because of a recent loss of data, so no updated demo yet, sorry.

Katie Holmes is back!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 18:05
Quote: "2: There are not enough levels on that demo! I need more levels."

It's called a demo for a reason.

The future is here, and I can't afford it.
Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 20:13
Quote: "It's called a demo for a reason."

LOL

For game/demo music for YOUR PC productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 13:50
Sharp. One more bump to push this onto page 3..

Katie Holmes is back!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 13:50 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2005 18:03
[edit] (W00t - Page 3!)

Katie Holmes is back!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 14:51 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2005 14:52
One more bump to make it a triple bump

Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
just to mention this machine has a FX6200 (Nvidia) graphics card, so you can`t get away with blameing ATI for the invisible water issue , very good game, but with my aged and podgey fingers the time trial thingys are way too fast, I can`t even complete the first one

the average IQ is 100...but the people that took the test where trying to look smart. most people don`t go over 50.
Area 51?, I`m more intrested in what they have in areas 1 to 50
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 20:57 Edited at: 4th Sep 2005 21:19
Doesn't happen on my Nvidia. Hmmm...

Thanks for the comments man.

Katie Holmes is back!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 04:44 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 04:46
Don't worry. If it becomes a serious issue, you can just make an updated version and send it to the people who bought the game, and update your demo.

And oh yes...

I understand your situation, but I just had to draw that.

EDIT: He's pionting with his index finger, not his middle one (he in fact only has four fingers)!

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 15:37 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 15:41
Hi Drew (again)

Nothing much on the bug front (which is of course a good thing). I'm still managing to cripple the app quite easily (and make it crash out to a 'crashreport' thing) so hopefully that issue shall be fixed in the full thing+next demo.

Little suggestion; Can you not make ESCAPE exit straight away? It would be great to have a 'pause menu' or something (that gives you the option to quit etc.). Would stop me accidentally leaning on my keyboard and losing my game

Also, the water on my system is sort of invisible. Well, I assume it is There's nothing much there except a load of blue (which is plain and blank). Maybe you could also give us picture of what the water is supposed to look like.

Anyway,......

Bizar guys image is also quite a hard act to follow

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 17:28
Great game, it's smooth and beautiful!

Quote: "Little suggestion; Can you not make ESCAPE exit straight away? It would be great to have a 'pause menu' or something (that gives you the option to quit etc.). Would stop me accidentally leaning on my keyboard and losing my game"

Yes I agree, I'm used to getting a pause menu or something, but must have lost the game at least 4 games by forgetting

Tinnedhead Productions

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 18:26 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 18:44
Bizar Guy, nice drawing man. I'm glad you understand my situtation, too. Alot of stuff on at the moment.

David, thanks for trying. I've patched the problem (I hope), but if my new solution doesn't solve the problem, then I'm stumped. Hmmm..

And what the water should look like. Note the way it fades off. It should be this way 360 degrees round, but I know it's not like this on all cards because some cards suck.

Jrowe: sure thing. I just forgot about a Pause menu. Another reason I have it quit straight away is because on Gametunnel.com, it says one of the main design flaws in games nowadays, is the removal of the Escape key's original function - to Quit, regardless of situation. I'm not sure in what way David was leaning on the keyboard to accidentally press the Escape key, but I'll do something about it regardless for you.

Okay, thanks

Katie Holmes is back!
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 18:53 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 19:14
Looking hot and colourful. It would be interesting to see if this game shares anything with, oh lets say, the abe's oddysee series, as I hear you're a fan. The saving his friends thing is one similarity.

You are not alone.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 19:10 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 19:11
I got rid of you on Myspace Aura, because I suck, but I've just found you again and added you! Sorry about that: I just cleaned out Friend closet because it was in the high 60's for a while. Now I only have people I've actually met in real life or who hang out here.

Anyway: it shares a factory with Abe's Oddysee, slavery themes and a profit hungry villain? When everyone sees the introduction film, I think I'll get sued for copyright infringement Yep, it's very similar.

My next project is an Oddworld Universe based one. Oddworld rules.

Katie Holmes is back!
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 19:13 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 19:14
I got a tad worried by the first words in that reply. But anyway, I reluctantly accept! Or maybe that's automatic... *checks*

You are not alone.
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 19:42
Quote: "but I know it's not like this on all cards because some cards suck."

Suck? You can't be serious right ? I have an Nvidia Geforce 5600FX!

What card do you have?

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 19:44 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 19:45
By suck I mean they just don't agree with the stuff I write for them. You have a good card. Peace.

My card? Ha ha ha.. My card sucks. I don't actually know what it is: it's a GeForce 4800 something? Anyway, it doesn't even do shaders.

Katie Holmes is back!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 16:43
You should buy a new card with some of the money you make from this. Shaders are very usefull. But saying as much, It's simply amazing you could make such a great looking game without them at all.

btw: Where is that screen? It's really cool!

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 18:02
But then those of us with equally (or more) cruddy video cards won't be able to play/buy his future games =P

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 18:50 Edited at: 7th Sep 2005 20:58
Knowing the type of kind chap that Drew is, I'm sure he'd have the ability to turn the shaders off or on.

You are not alone.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 19:02 Edited at: 7th Sep 2005 19:10
A new card? Nah.. I've got access to another computer with shader support, I'll just start using that for games development.

But don't worry Tifu, I'm the tpye of kind chap that would add an option to turn shaders off for people like us, as you know. As Aura knows.

P.S - Bizar Guy; it's from the later part of the game.

Katie Holmes is back!
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 20:59
Bah, me made tpyo.

You are not alone.
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 23:16
Hi Still loving dumbo and cool, and playing it when work stresses me out

I get the water problem too, on my GF FX5200 (ok card) and Rad 9700pro (blindin card) if you spin on the spot the water appears and disappears. I didn't mention this before as this is a common dbpro bug with large ghosted plains.

One way that sometimes fixes it is making the object not respond to factors such as fog, cull, light settings etc. I think its because if you are so far from the middle point of the plain or not facing it it fades it out. I may be wrong, but I know its a common problem with newer graphics cards. I know for a fact it didn't happen on my old GF2. The easiest fix is obviously to replace the single plain with a mesh of several smaller squares (you can make one plain, add others to is as limbs, then make a mesh from the opbject and re-create it in dbpro) but obviously this would increase poly count and slow framerates ever so slightly.

Anyway its not a big problem, personally I like the water looking completely plain, it helps with the cartoony semi cell shaded look.

Cheers, Sam

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 19:02 Edited at: 8th Sep 2005 19:02
Thanks for the advice Sam. I think I created the water effect based on a property of graphics cards that could either be classed as a bug or a feature.. Of course, not all graphics cards have the 'problem'.

Katie Holmes helps out to speed up development.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 17:56:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 17:56:24