Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Riker 9 FPS Creator Update

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 21:09
Yeap. So I'm at a sticking point. To get performance, I need this fixed.

-This...is my boomstick!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 22:14
I wish we had the code of how update terrain works in the advanced terrain This would be perfect as it is also tile based.

Paladin Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I can't wait for Riker 9 saving and loading is something I could really use in FPSC games so I can have around 50 maps and not have to restart the game all over again after losing at level 35 and get really angry lol. Best of luck to ya.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 03:58
*Cuhchink cuhchink!* cellblock, if you dont hurry up and give us an update on progress... This minigun should straiten you out.

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
Oswald
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, not sure if this is the right place for it.... but when I start either the editor or a built game, CPU usage immediately goes up to 100% even though I'm not moving or doing anything. Seems that this causes the game to run at extremeley slow framerates and also causes the permanent stuttering, that always stops framerates at all for more than a second.... whenever the cpu usage drops slightly below 100%, the game runs just fine... but that only happens for some miliseconds... what causes the game to stutter so badly. Guess I'm not the only one experiencing this stuttering, that makes moving around a level being pain in the a**... Is there maybe a way for you, as you are recompiling the engine, to figure out how to prevent the engine from using full cpu power all the time for calculating nothing?
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
That happens in a portable computer that I have. In my case it's a graphics card problem, meaning, it's old, it shares memory with the system. All other computers work with it perfectly.

V

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Oswald
Years of Service
User Offline
In my case it happens on all machines I have.... 3 in total... on laptop 2.4 Ghz P4 with ATI Raedon Mobility M7.... okay.. it's not the best graphics card.. but should still work....
Then a normal PC 2.26 Ghz P4 with ATI Raedon 9600xt what should be more than enough for FPSC games... and an AMD Athlon 1800 with a geforce 3.... always the same problem with 100% cpu usage and stuttering game.... the AMD is a clean new install of win XP pro SP 2... so it can not be caused by some other stuff on the machine...
Maybe Cellblock can take a look at this anyway??? 8)
Cause if that could get fixed, too, FPSC would really rule.. and would finally be usable and playable for even more users!
Origin
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that Riker 9 will be the biggest event in the FPSC part of this forum this year!

Keep up the good Work Cellblock!

Regards,
John

I don't wanna fight no union!

FREE SPEECH FOR ALL!! but, not mod's... hahahaha!!!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 22:07
@Cellbloc Studios I am working on frustum culling for limbs in my game engine. If I get it working, I'll post the code. This should help out alot with the FPSC worlds. Unless you already have a version running?

Reuben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 02:15
wait... if its a build thing...
So if you were going to use flashlights and viecles...
Cellbloc, tell me if this is wrong...
you would find maybe a viecle entity and when you built the game(with Riker 9)inthe game, you could drive the viecle around, and with the flashlight entity once you pikup the flashlight it attaches the flashlight to your gun.

plese tell me if i'm wrong.
[center]

P.S. Riker 9 sound great!!!
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 02:59 Edited at: 16th Dec 2005 03:01
@LIT:

Please. Email me at monkeyhumpingelephant [@] cellbloc.com

I'm avoiding the forums till the stupid people leave.

-This...is my boomstick!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 06:36
Are you hinting at me? Cause if ou are I'll stop being a prick.

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
Oswald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 11:21 Edited at: 16th Dec 2005 12:43
Hmmmm... well, ok.... it has been all my fault (not really).
All the time, I thought it was FPSCs fault, that it ran like crap on all my machines. Now I found out, that this is actually caused by some worms/trojans running on my machine, that got not filtered by that whack Norton stuff. Killing those tasks, like ms spool32.exe resulted in FPSC running like a charm. Only thing I dont get is, that these worms/trojans only cause problems when running FPSC!? As soon as I start walking in a game, ms sppol32 (for example) starts to eat up about 50% of cpu power... when running it gets even worse... when I release all buttons and just turn around using the mouse, all cpu power is available to FPSC again.
This happens on all other machines as well... just in conjunction with other worm/trojan-tasks....
So seems, that there is something in the FPSC code, that magically activates those tasks for massive cpu usage, when performing different kind of actions in a game!?
Yeah, I know... I am just one of the "stupid people" Cellblock just mentioned.. but hey... whom else should I address this to... ? (no, TGC is not the answer! )

edited: hehe... and no, ms spool32.exe is no printerspooler (or is it?) Its some stuff that belongs to the Asassin trojan... and hell no, it does not speed up games!
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
All action games use Print Spooler to process polygons. In fact, if we install more printers, the game runs faster.

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 12:37
Vlad,

Thats not fair - for a moment there I thought you had the secret formula.

Serves me right for being so inquisitive.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 13:01
Quote: "Are you hinting at me? Cause if ou are I'll stop being a prick."

I think that was more of a "I can get alot more done if people in general leave me alone" kind of post not particularly directed at any one person.

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Vlad,

Thats not fair - for a moment there I thought you had the secret formula.

Serves me right for being so inquisitive."

I got a thing with making jokes with printers, spoolers and buffers since the day I received a phone call from a customer saying he had a virus in a laser printer buffer... and wanted to know how to install an antivirus software... guess where: on the printer.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 13:30
All you have to do to install the antivirus on copiers is make a copy of the cd (track side down). On printers it can be difficult. I would print a binary .img file from the cd. That might do it.

Reuben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 02:56
um... actualy I think Cellbloc was talking about me, but I fofgive him. (if he was talking about me)
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 07:38 Edited at: 30th Dec 2005 20:00
Big Beef.

This has fallen way too far... time for a...

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 13:36
What? Merranvo back?

Although my opinion will change, the fact that I am right will not.
ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 16:57
it seems everyone is crying out for a save/load feature,me included.cant u just release an early beta of riker9 with just this feature....?
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 19:35
Yes, that would be great!

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 20:12
Yeah! That sounds cool!

-This...is my boomstick!
Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 20:29
Arrrr! I'm in for that one!

Although my opinion will change, the fact that I am right will not.
foleypro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 05:41
Hmmm...

Cant wait...

Anything for an update of that magnatude dudes.

As Always B3D....www.fnggames.com

MR elevetor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 19:11
will rikle 9 or whatever it´s called have a better psychic engien?

soon I will make the most biggest game in the world!
Just need to make my skills in coding better...
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
That and a spell checker for riker.

Just kidding mate.

Willy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 00:02
Hi, I'm wondering what will happen when Riker 9 comes out, and then TGC releases their next version?
It would seem that Cellbloc will have to re-integrate his changes with each new TGC version. I suspect this will get old, very quickly...
Have you given any thought to doing a co-op approach with TGC, and let them handle the source and version control?
It usually gets fairly messy when folks try to keep up with divergent versions of the same product...

Willy
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 00:05 Edited at: 21st Dec 2005 00:09
*OR* TGC will use my version for V2....

Remember, I am giving them the code (and basically all the changes they wanted in it anyways)

Back to my cave...

-This...is my boomstick!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 02:40
that sounds good. As long as they took the code and added like, umm, five more features... say stuff like:

1) Physics in MP.
2) Ladders in SP and MP.
3) Bug Fixes
4) Manuel Expansion, like lists of EVERY .FPE command.
5) 25 more commands for .FPI, and 50 new actions!

This would be nice

When FPSC develops enough, lets make a Redwall game!

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 13:49
I don't think new conditions and actions would add too much to FPSC at this stage.

The community has hardly touched the potential of the exisitng ones - merranvo not withstanding.

I agree with the other stuff, especially better documentation of .fpe files.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 16:34
well things like Merrenvo's ONKEY= commands would change the .FPI world as we know it! So I can't believe that

Quote: "new conditions and actions wouldn't add too much to FPSC at this stage"

And I'm sure that if TGC asked, they would get at least 25 new commands. An at least... hmm... probably 30 actions. And the other 20 TGC could come up with. I mean, they're smart people

hax8er productions
Years of Service
User Offline
is this riker 9 thing free amd if u answered it already srry but i got bored bout half way through

yo wats up
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 21:36
Yeah. Free.

-This...is my boomstick!
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 22:28
Hmm, good point cell-block. V2 MAY be your engine...

include this in your End-User Licence Agreement

You may not sell this code, compiled or otherwise, as part of game creation software. Unless exclusive license is provided.

P.S.
add godmode=1 to the ini file. (if I read right)

[url=ochanicon.gif]
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 22:52
Cellbloc,
I'm not sure if you said so or not, but does Riker 9 have a Credits system? Something for when you click a button that says "credits" it will take you to a page that has words scrolling up or something.

It would be neat if you could choose from several word effects (words scrolling up, star wars credits thing, words fading in then out etc.) but that's not needed. We would need credit buttons, and you would need to edit the "titlepage" fields in the "build game" process under the "Level Settings" tab.
It might not be worth it, considering that ypur close to releasing Riker 9, but I just thought I'd bring it up bevause I recently found a way to make a movie play when you clicked a button, and when the movie was finished, it would take you back to the title page.

Another problem with the level settings thing is that when you click the "Edit" button on any of the page things (Globl Sripts, Title Page Game Over, Game Complete) and you get to where you can edit the fields, then you click a field (any field) and change the text, then without clicking anything else, click the "preview" button and there won''t be any difference. Then when you exit the preview, you'll see that the field you "edited" went back to it's first state and didn't change. The same thing happens if you click "ok" to, which is REALLY messed up. To fix this, as you probably know, you have to click in a differnt field then the one you just edited before you tes or save the settings otherwise it won't save.

One more thing that I think lots of people are in agreement, and will save TGC some time, is making more video formats. Currently, to the extent of my knowledge, only .AVI is compatable with FPSC, but LOTS of people use .WMV/.WMA/.MPG and other video formats. It would be nice to at least have .WMA and .WMV.
Somthing that I would like to see is animated .GIF files to be allowed in the storyzone.
anyways, I gotta go, talk to you later.
-Sunflash

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 23:25
I do believe I already submitted a source to allow the rest of the DBP allowed codes, And I do believe that CB said that he had a similar thing implemented. But you can't implement any other formats without paying to use them.

CB can't edit the Editors code, so your second paragraph isn't do able.

[url=ochanicon.gif]
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 06:36 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 06:36
Video : AVI was the worst available choice anyone could ever have made for a video format for FPSC.

WMV and WMA should be the first choice for any games made in the indie games world as they copyright free file formats, are readily playable on any Windows machine which accounts for by far the greatest number of PC machines of any one kind across the globe and you can use compression or not to achieve any quality you like.

Its just the best choice all factors considered.

Its a complex subject - certainly a choice as with all things would be helpful to users. TGC did with video as they did with FPSC in general and give users no choice making it as restrictive as it could be.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 07:33
.WMV is also considerably (okay, majorly) smaller than .AVI. A .WMV can be like 5MB for a 1 minute video, as opposed to 30MB for a 10 second video (I know this from experience, I actually had to take the cutscenes out of my downloadable demo because 30MB was just too much).

"I hate erecting my tree, my whole family always wants to join in and all the balls fall around the place." - Zotoaster Merry Christmas!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 08:43 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 08:51
Exactly - frame for frame .WMV can be equal to AVI in quality but smaller in file size.

I have a demo to get done that because of FPSC inclusion of massive amounts of unwanted and unremovable data in the Game compile folder is already too big so unecessary file sizes for AVI are not needed. FPSC gives us enough problems in that area.

I dont think many want to download a half gig demo?

You can compress AVI of course but its compression qualities/file size ratio are not as good as .WMV which is a more modern format overall. If file sizes are a concern and they are, then .WMV is best.

I tried to get suggest .WMV and WMA formats for use when EA was around and the story zone was on the cards but no one wanted to know.

I'm not quite sure why FPSC should not be able to call the Windows Media Player in the background so that any format it supports could be used by FPSC - that would offer numerous format options that would please many. Thats what I suggested as other engines use that method of options successfully and it seems like a sensible solution to suit a wide range of user options - though I presume TGC have some reason for its media format limitations I just cant think what they might be.

Ah well its just another live with it issue. I think I'll need to ship any game on two DVD's.

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 09:08
You would think this would be one of the simpler things to fix.

What formats does DBPro spport?

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 09:11
Quote: "I'm not quite sure why FPSC should not be able to call the Windows Media Player in the background"

That would be really cool!
Then you can have mp3 music and anything in your games.
.WAV files sound too lame! You can't have over one minute long sound file in youe game 'cause of that .WAV!
.WMV and .WMA videos are better too.

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 09:46
Windows Media Player does not support MP3 by default as far as I am aware - partly because its not a license free format which one reason why I guess TGC limited FPSC to what it uses.

Skulker
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a lurking FPSC noob... but I just have to respond to this.

MP3 is about the most open and widely used music format around - I'm staggered that anyone can argue anything else. WMP has never refused to play it, in my experience.

WMV & WMA are both proprietory Microsoft formats - I've yet to see either of them used in any games I've purchased (though I wouldn't be surprised if MS games all use them). I personally hate WMV for anything other than the odd clip, because they aren't widely supported by hardware beyond the Windows PC.

AVI is a container rather than a format. Divx & Xvid are 2 popular forms of AVI, but there are many others.

WAV is an uncompressed audio file. Changing to MP3 or WMA will simply reduce the size of the file, not improve the quality. That said, I'd agree that it's surprising if WAV is all FPSC supports, as it does seem an obvious limitation.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 16:20
Yes, Window Media Player can "play" the MP3 but cannot "encode" an MP3.

Still working on a way to get the "crap" out of your media folder. Basically if you add something to the level, then remove it, it still thinks it is there, and therefore will copy the file.

I have a theory but it seems to only work when the moon is blue and full, and I had 13.8 Mountain Dews in me...

-This...is my boomstick!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 17:11 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 17:15
Quote: "MP3 is about the most open and widely used music format around"

That may be true regarding audio fornmats overall to include all kinds of music. Not necessarily the case when it comes to game music or sounds though. Anyway thats nothing at all to do with the point. No one suggested MP3 might not be the most popular or wisdespread used audio format overall.

People are misinterpreting what I say again.

The point being MP3 and some other media formats mentioned here are not coyright free and I very much doubt TGC will ever consider using them quite rightly so.

Few commercial indie enginene developers would suggest their engines support these or recommend users of their software using them its just getting into deep water to be avoided at all costs by TGC and I am sure it will be. FPSC users can always use the .ogg format for audio - if you want small use .ogg for the time being.

Video is another issue as theres not much choice currently so you have to use AVI or AVI.

If you had any choice in media formats as far as I am concerned you use whatever you like - what do I care what you do with your game?

I would not know if the current WM player supports MP3 by default as I have always downloaded new codecs as they become available and would not consider using MP3 for any game I made anyway so dont concern myself with it.

Thats all on this one from me as its just going over old ground - you can debate till the cows come home and still have to use the options we have now which arnt going to change any time soon.

Back on topic thank you Cellblock for working on that media folder stuff - you are a good man.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 17:54 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 17:56
Quote: "Still working on a way to get the "crap" out of your media folder. Basically if you add something to the level, then remove it, it still thinks it is there, and therefore will copy the file."

Maybe FPSC is looking if the "object" (entity, prefab, etc.) is in the user's library -regardless whether it is also in the map or it has been deleted from it.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
That idea has crossed my mind before Pulsar, but if the game is only compiled and therefor objects created atthat time, doesn't make much sense, although the problem lies around what you just said probably.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 18:33 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 18:47
AFAIK, maybe I am wrong since I was not dealing closely with the source code, the game-engine remains "constant" for every map -it is not built again when you click build game- so objects may then be dinamically generated from the map files at runtime -when you play the game.

Edit: so, if the game-exe lists all of the objects in the library and based on this list dinamically creates them at runtime, one workaround could be to also look in the map before creating it.

"ObjectX in list? Yes, count number of ObjectX in map. Greater than zero? Create ObjectX. Else continue with next object" (sorry for this pseudo-code).

Perhaps in the next version of FPSC this could be added so as to avoid to execute this verification process at playtime (a "clean up current map" option).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:14:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:14:45