Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Riker 9 FPS Creator Update

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 05:55 Edited at: 1st Jan 2006 05:55

DoughBoy, Read the manual, and look specifically at the "AltTexture" fields. I am not in a good mood, new years is just 6 minits away.

AND I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY BEER!!!

Merranvo, Teh S \/|03|2 7I<><>I3
Anti-Noob Justice League, what's that?
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 09:08
I mean the ability to have more then 1 texture applied to the same object at the same time. I have some models that have 10 different textures... how are they going to work in FPSC?
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 21:22
Scotty doesnt know!

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 22:08
I think if you let the texture feild be blank it will work. Works for weapons.

HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT
http://www.irwinsoftware.com/ww3
Screenshots on Site! Demo Coming Soon!
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 22:52
When I do that, the model when I test the game is white. Maybe I just have to move the texture images to a certain folder?
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 22:57 Edited at: 1st Jan 2006 22:58
Forgot to add. When I place the entity in the map editor, I can see the different textures. It's when I test the game that the entity is all white.

Edit: Sorry, should of used the edit function (Just realized it was there)
FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't wait for the release of it!

Hey, I am a total noob to DBP, so if you would be kind enough to just help me along. I'm good with FPSC though, just learning DBP now.

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
@cellblock. When Riker9 is ready, do we have to pay for it if we already have FPSC? If we do, I would hate that, because I really NEED a save/load feature and all that other stuff youve put into it sounds so amazing and I would just like to say thank you VERY much for doing this, and I think everyone else agrees with what i am saying here.
Origin
Years of Service
User Offline
Riker 9 = FPSC Revolution!

@ Cellbloc: You're tha man!!

I don't wanna fight no union!

FREE SPEECH FOR ALL!! but, not mod's... hahahaha!!!
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Tom0001 you won't believe it, but it's been asked gazilions of times: Riker 9 will be community free.

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
So, we all get it free, regardless of whether we have purchased FPSC or not? Doesnt that mean...?
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry about the double post-had to ask: Does the same license apply to Riker 9 that is in effect with FPSC?
Gamerboy
Years of Service
User Offline
What date/month/year/century/universe/dimension will it be relaesed on/in?
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 22:11
2006 is the best date I can give you. If you don’t like it, I suggest you purchase DarkBasic Pro and the Enhancement Pack, download the source code and have at it.

As a rule, programmers don't give out dates because then people expect them to meet that date. LOTS of things creep up out of freaking nowhere and stall the program (the death of my step-father one of them), escaping from a 3rd world country, getting divorced, and going back to college to get my 3rd Bachelor degree...

You know life.

I do plan on releasing something this month (don't ask what I am releasing) for people to test/play around with to see if the speed improvements and the save/load thing is working correctly.

@Tom0001:
Since you’re slightly new here, Riker 9 is just a HUGE major enhanced engine with lots of new features. It is NOT the editor, just the game engine. The difference is this. You cannot build anything with Riker 9 BUT when you hit "Build EXE" then Riker 9 will kick in, make it run faster, add new features (that you can access by scripts), etc, etc. Do not ask for a list because this changes for what moods I'm in at the time of coding.

-This...is my boomstick!
Building "Riker 9", two steps at a time.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 22:39
I don't think there will be an update from TGC for FPSC. They will probably just re-write the whole engine. I looked at the source to check out a few things and I don't know what Lee was smoking when he wrote that, but he'll never understand it now that he has been away from it this long. Unless he has a better (possibly commented) version.

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 22:46
Does R9 take effect when you test your level?

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 23:03
Yes, but that is a bad habit. allways BUILD the game.

LIT: Actually, the code is pretty easy to read. Do I have a clue how the engine works as a whole? No, but I can tell what most areas of the code are doing.

I don't like the organization, nor do I like the redundant code, use of : to combind comands, but given a peice of code, I can tell aproxementally what that code is doing. But I can't tell everything. Heck this is 20x larger then my largest code! But I can imagine that people who print it out, and read it line by line, have a better understanding. (Expecally with the better understanding of DBP)

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll be honest. I have the code and I never really looked at it and I consider DBP as easy to read as english with the given exception of 3D maths which is like chinese sometimes, but when it goes this far I find it overwelming.

Of course I don't have the urge to edit the engine, that would make things diferent.

I don't even know why I'm writing this... guess I need some sleep.

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 00:55
Quote: " I consider DBP as easy to read as english with the given exception of 3D maths which is like chinese sometimes"

Oh, ting tong ton ton ting ting ting! Translation? WHATEVER!

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
someone answer question?>
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 01:39
I never hardly ever look at parts of code. I look at the whole picture. If I can't understand how all of my code works and works together, I re-write it. I have code I haven't messed with in 2 years (about 6000 lines) and i can go back to it at any time and tell exactly what everything is doing. Yeah it takes me a bit longer to program because I use long variable names but anyone who takes a bit of time can look at it and understand it, if they know how DBP works. I don't see how Lee keeps up with his stuff. No wonder it took years for it, he probably had to spend 30 mins to an hour each day trying to figure out what he done yesterday.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 03:24 Edited at: 5th Jan 2006 03:27
Tom, read Riker9: 101, everything that is known (including my small supplemented codes) is on there.

LIT: I precicly hate long var names, can't stand them. But looking at the whole code at once, that is room for failure.
As you see more of a picture, individual aspects are lost, as you see less of a picture the meaning is lost. (Some miss-quote of some thing)

My point being that you can't take it all in, you have to go step by step. Although problem with FPSC-Game.dba is that you can't tell the beginning from end. Or where things are running. I can only tell you what the subs are doing, it is so much to go though.

But be thankful for lee's comments, the most comments you get out of me is just what the following code is for. Not how it works, not what it does to do it, just what it is for. And at that, I am very broad. ex. Script Commands (that would cover everything in the script's section). Commenting is more like separating code, If I need to get somewhere, I need a place marker, so I don't sort though the code to find it.

(Besides, I have an impeccable memory, right now, I am thinking of something I programed 3 years ago, and given the time, know excatally what the code was. I can pick up most projects that I dump and start working on them, but the biggest things I have to do is unravel the math-e-matics (including for-next [they are mathamatical routiens]))

Merranvo, The Cool One

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 04:54
Quote: "But looking at the whole code at once, that is room for failure.
As you see more of a picture, individual aspects are lost, as you see less of a picture the meaning is lost. (Some miss-quote of some thing)"

That's not exactly what I meant. I read code like I read a book. I always read the table of contents to know the order of the things in the book, then I read the book. If there are no table of contents I still skim over the chapter heads. Its the same with code. I try to skim through to get the order of things first as the order of code is just as important as the code itself. And then I look at the individual parts of the code to make a "whole" code picture. I do the same thing when reading code for helping people. I have to say I find it easier to read the code of most of the people I help than Lee's. No offense to him, I just don't understand his madness coding style

Quote: "Although problem with FPSC-Game.dba is that you can't tell the beginning from end. Or where things are running."

This is exactly what I am complaining about mostly.

Quote: "But be thankful for lee's comments, the most comments you get out of me is just what the following code is for. Not how it works, not what it does to do it, just what it is for."

I am much like you towards comments in my code that is written just for me. But FPSC should have been coded with the mindset that others would be reading it. If you look through some of the code I post on the forum, you'll see I over comment this code as others are supposed to understand it. I also drag code out a bit more when posting it to make it easier to read, and if I drug it out alot I post the shortened code after it once they understand the easier code.

But I am busy ATM with other stuff, once I get time (though Riker9 will probably be done before then) I am going to go through and sort out the FPSC engine and add some stuff. I think it will take me a while though, unless Riker9 has better formatted code and I can just add to it.

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 06:28 Edited at: 5th Jan 2006 06:30
Sounds good! Is this available yet =-p?

I wish I was only 3400 years old...
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 08:23
Much better formatted. LOTS of functions.

-This...is my boomstick!
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 16:11
Sweet.

Some ideas if it helps.
Bone animation for talking, moving hands or mouth in any way would make games feel cooler.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Bone animation for talking, moving hands or mouth in any way would make games feel cooler."

This has nothing to do with the engine mate. It's pure modeling, animation and scripting and I can't recall a reason for not be doable right now, without Riker 9.

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I think Riker 9 should have ladders...
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 18:37
yeah so true. Ladders ruled.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 18:39 Edited at: 5th Jan 2006 18:41
Uh-huh. And I also think it should have water support, along with a default oxygen level bar or something.

EDIT: Also, I think it should have third person camera control. I know it is called FPSC for a reason, but then again, we ALL know this, third-person shooter games would be pretty cool as well.
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 21:10
Nah, maybe a flying camera mode for machinimakers.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Also i really think Riker 9 should have support for enemy character entities able to be set to fight another character entity, as well as you. like german officers fighting undead creatures and you at the same time.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "Bone animation for talking, moving hands or mouth in any way would make games feel cooler."

This has nothing to do with the engine mate. It's pure modeling, animation and scripting and I can't recall a reason for not be doable right now, without Riker 9.
"

Yep I've done it. Moveable jaws ala Half-Life. As a matter of fact any bone structure will work.

Probably the easiest way in Character Studio is to create a ponytail link and rotate it around to the jaw area.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 22:11
Uhh, tom, cb is spending his own time to make this. Requesting additions isn't the same as requesting TGC to add things. But before you even post anything here, Look at Riker: 101, and ASK others if it is already done.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
It hasn't already been done. I did check Riker 9: 101 and there was nothing there about it...`
moogal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 22:59
I've been reading through this forum for a few weeks now, wondering what's happened since the actual FPSC release. Surprise, people want 3rd person cameras and the only reason anyone gives not to have them is the name "FPSC". The aiming problem is solved by a reticule, you don't need to worry about where the gun is pointing relative to the camera any more than you do now. Also, Riddick is an FPS which switches to 3rd person when climbing (maybe some people would want that when ladders are added). I seem to remember QuakeIII having a 3rd person camera at level's end or maybe when you died. The best reason is still machinema and cutscenes. I want to make a game with FPSC really bad, probably even an FPS type game. I think not having any (as in AT ALL) 3rd person camera options is stupid and it has unfortunately kept me from buying the FPSC so far.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, moogal. Well said-very well said. Does anyone actually know if Riker 9 holds the same license as FPSC does?
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
@Tom0001

Unless someone ( Cellbloc or TGC ) says otherwise, this is a substitute for the engine of FPSC, so and since the license applies for the whole product, there's nothing different. It's "just" an engine enhancement for the people here to have more stuff.

Imagine someone delivers a nice texture for one of the models... same thing but for the engine. Well... sort off.

Mezzu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 15:18
so, did i get this rigth...

You are making an uber great patch for FPSC=?
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2006 00:06
This sounds A-W-E-S-O-M-E

What all is done now?

Now you can't call colors violent can you?
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I get the very correct feeling that Riker 9 is a kind of heaven on earth...
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2006 01:36
Thanks. Looking forward to you people bashing my work here in a few days, trying to iron out all the bugs we can!

-This...is my boomstick!
Gamerboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thanks. Looking forward to you people bashing my work here in a few days, trying to iron out all the bugs we can!
"
does this mean riker 9 will be out in a few days!?!?
Zeppelin Fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2006 02:51
excellent...this is sweet...but u should add somehting like....farting sounds lmao

classic rock till I die
Origin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "Thanks. Looking forward to you people bashing my work here in a few days, trying to iron out all the bugs we can!
"
does this mean riker 9 will be out in a few days!?!? "

Yeah, I think so...

WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I don't wanna fight no union!

FREE SPEECH FOR ALL!! but, not mod's... hahahaha!!!
Shadows Back
Years of Service
User Offline

Shadow
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
You know that "few" brings some relativity to the sentence, don't you?

Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2006 18:32
Whoever hosts the downloads gonna max the bw.....

Prepare for some serious traffic!!!

DAB Studios
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2006 21:20
So Others don't have to bash your work later, I will bash it now, saves us time.

OMG!!! I thought Riker 9 would Improve my FPS, I still get 5 FPS and ONLY have 50 enemys in the same room.

*unessicary cursewords* Riker 9 was SUPPOSE to have save, WHERE IS MY SAVE!!! I didn't read the ReadMe, but I ain't gonna read no manual.

I downloaded Riker 9 but when I try to run it, all i get is a black screen.

Where is my Third Person Camera, GIVE ME MY THIRD PERSON CAMERA. GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME like the UNGRATEFUL Child I am.

I put Riker 9 in the FPSC folder, but my precompiled games don't run any differently.

WHY DO I STILL HAVE THIS ERROR? I THOUGHT RIKER 9 WAS AN UBER UPDATE! YOU SHOULD HAVE FIXED ALL THE EDITOR ERRORS.

Wait, Don't download it, it's a trap, no one can possibly do all this work and expect nothing back... It's a VIRUS, a VIRUS I tell you (secretly downloads file). [Okay, bad impersonation]

Mine.
Thank You Cellbloc for all the time and effort you put into this project, I am certain that your name will go into a special place in our hearts and in FPSC History. To Cellbloc, the GUY who DID!

Merranvo, The Cool One

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't... stop... laughing...

You are the cool one!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:49:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:49:33