Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Riker 9 FPS Creator Update

Author
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 19:35
When is the beta release fo rthe save/load???
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 20:00

My daughter came up and is visiting me for the holidays since when I was held captive for 19 months, I didn't get to see her at all. Trying to spend a little time with the family and all. 2006 isn't that far away anyways!

-This...is my boomstick!
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 20:32
Hah!
Easy to say in 2006!
It means something between January 1st 2006 and December 31st 2006!
Can you say any more detailed date?
Even something like in Spring 2006!

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 21:57
Yeap! Before December 31st, 2006!

-This...is my boomstick!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 22:16 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 22:17
Hey, Back in the cave ... cracks whip.

[edit] Also I am still trying to get octree working with my frustum culling but am having no luck. You know af any links to octree programming or theory?

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 22:52 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 22:53
What does, "frustom" mean?

Quote: "since when I was held captive for 19 months"

What do you mean?

Chris: Oh god it feels good to be outta the F**king shoos!
Sterling: I know! It feels good to be outta these cloths too!
Wheelgator is a ricist. What? I swear! He called me a n***r!
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Aliens Chris... Aliens...

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 00:27 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2005 00:33
@LIT:

I will see what I can dig up. There are a couple good books on it, so there has GOT to be references on the net.

https://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/login.php?from=http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19970801/octree.htm

-This...is my boomstick!
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 01:33
"I knew it!"
*pulls out the big guns*
"Surrender you alien scum bags!"
"What, you say you come in peace? Your too ugly to be peaceful."
*Shoots aliens.*

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
[url=ochanicon.gif]
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 03:24
Cellbloc, another thing that can DRAMATICLY increase loading time for testing, building, and playing your game is when FPSC gathers the assets required for scripts. For some reason when you build a game, FPSC atomaticly copies the ENTIRE "scriptbank" and puts it into your new games folder. and whenever you play the game (or test it) it loads EVERY script AND LOADS ALL the stuff required to run the script. So if I had a script that told the game to play a song until the player presses enter, then switch songs, then then when the player presses enter again, it switches songs again, it plays another song, so on so forth, it would load ALL those songs EVERY time I test my game. And when I build the game, it loads it to, then when I play it, again, it taks a LONG time to load. This is a very silly thing for FPSC to be doing. When I looked into this bug, I decided to see how much space, and loading time I could save if I deleted all the uneeded scripts and media. I cleared up like, 150 MB's (I had like, 13 songs it loaded when it didn't even need them. They were in .OGG format too.) and it saved me about five minutes loading time! Thats a long time when your waiting to play a game!
-Sunflash

When FPSC develops enough, lets make a Redwall game!

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 03:27 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2005 03:28
no it doesnt, sunflash, it READS the script that it wants, one at a time.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 07:23
Quote: "no it doesnt, sunflash, it READS the script that it wants, one at a time."

Well, you would know more then me. But when I took out my script that refered o all the songs, and I put it in my own folder, everything loads ALOT faster. It now takes about half a second to load the script stuff

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 10:12
Thx Cellbloc, I believe that is what I was looking for

alex 1337
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 22:32
Can you at least release a beta of the release so we can see the save/load function in progress????
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 22:56
Sure.

-This...is my boomstick!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 23:26
Quote: "Can you at least release a beta of the release so we can see the save/load function in progress????"

Come on, let Cellbloc work in peace. We waited for V1 to come out without begging for a public beta, can't we just wait till Cellbloc gets this finished to look at it? He's a busy guy.

alex 1337
User Banned
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 02:12
@Sunflash-No No No, I understand that he is a busy guy and that he is doing this for the forums out of the greater good of his heart, but I just wanted to see a video or a demo or beta of the progress so far. Thats All.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 06:24
I know, and I didn't mean to sound mad Sorry about that, I just re-read my post, I sounded grumpy. I was just trying to say that, he seems to be very busy. I think we should just let him alone for awhile.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
@Cellbloc: did you read my previous post? If so, have you found a way to "clean up" map getting rid of unwanted objects?
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2005 23:16
Yeap.

-This...is my boomstick!
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 18:12
Ok, I am releasing another "test" version in the next couple of weeks. Not sure if I will start a new thread or not. Either way I will post in this one.

P.S.
Hopefully all media will "disappear" into one file, faster execution of the game itself, and last but not least, faster FPS (don't ask, it all your computer dependent)

Many thanks to Spooky, Lost In Thought, Merranvo and BrainDeadPooPooHead for all your suggestions and code.

-This...is my boomstick!
Building "Riker 9", two steps at a time.
Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Cellbloc, was wondering if you are going to do an open beta or closed beta session? I look forward to your product. Thank you!

Dog
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 19:16
I was going to do a closed beta, then when I posted it as a first come, first served, I got over 85 emails.

So with such a huge demand, I have decided to post "what I have" and fix those before moving onto other things.

-This...is my boomstick!
Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 20:02 Edited at: 27th Dec 2005 20:06
Cellbloc,

Thank you for the reply and many thanks for your hard work. The thread seems to have traveled many paths since the announcement of the Riker 9 project. Would you share with the community what Riker 9 will do for FPSC? Will Riker 9 follow the original path of FPSC for us non Programming type. My boys have really enjoyed working with FPSC and are motivated to expand their knowledge of programming now. I would like to facilitate their excitement with the addition of Riker 9. Please do not allow this request to slow your development down. Thank you for your time.

Dog
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
There are no differences on the editor Dog, therefor what you will see is basically the same in editing terms, only the engine itself is tweaked. As far as I know it's not even possible to mess around with the editor and only the engine code is available.

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 20:10 Edited at: 27th Dec 2005 20:11
Vlad,

Thanks for the information. How will tweaking the engine affect our existing maps or file structure? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
As far as I understand what's been written on the Riker9 threads, the framerate will rise as far as your system allows it. The game itself will not be faster, but a lot more smooth to the eyes of the player.

Depending on what Cellbloc is doing, you may have improvements on what you can do without loosing what you are able to do right now, meaning: your maps will work fine and depending on what's offered you will be able to do more. We will have to wait and see though.

One very important thing is the ability to save and load, as far as I'm concerned the biggest flaw in the actual build and that will be dealt with if I'm not mistaken.

If you ask me, Riker9 is a major improvement on the actual engine build with FPS resolution and save/load feature. But if I read Cellbloc's acknoledgments correctly, more was done to improve, like getting the culling problems solved (slap my wrist if I'm lying Cell )

If you are making your levels and are comitted to do it, you should not stop because of this project though. Even if there are major changes whatever you'll learn with the actual V1 will prove very useful in getting better levels and games when Riker9 is out.

Good Luck.

Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

It's easy to see why Riker 9 is desired so much. Well back to the grindstone. Thanks answering my questions.

Dog
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 22:56
I personally recommend getting your boys into C, C++, and C# as soon as possible. This will prevent lazyness accumilated with other languages, and the C Series is much more powerful then the other junk languages. And is the most supported.

Scripting commands are going to change, some will be added more as. But scripting is an excuse for programming. There isn't much control over the engine via scripts, and they have a way of producing odd results.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Merranvo,

Thank you for the suggestion. I agree with your thought of preventing them from becoming lazy. I also am grateful for FPSC providing and avenue for them to explore the world of programming.

Dog
Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yeap."

Details?
foleypro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 07:38
Hmmm...
Sorry I have to disagree on the Other Languages being rubbish or Trash even tho You didnt use those words...

In Maya,max,Poser,Lightwave,Soft Image,DS,tS,Blender,Wings3D...And Many more Programs you have Scrpting and Python scripting that you can make and use as Plugins/Stand alone Programs...So I just wanted to say that the Languages are only what the Programmer makes it.

Anyway you look at it dont limit their Knowledge to just ONE language let them Branch out and Tackle the NEW stuff it has alot of advantages too.

As Always B3D....www.fnggames.com

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 16:17
If you look at it that way, contort my words. Yes that is what I am saying.

But if you look at it the way it is in context "junk languages" you will see that I am refering to languages that are not worth learning. Take Q-Basic, Wonderful language, runs programs so well. It doesn't matter if you start with QB, you still learn the commands, and you learn ones that you might actually use. Okay, bit on the extream, but you understand. There are many junk languages out there, either obsolute or just oversimplified versions of REAL languages so that the languages power is lost.

But the critical thing about C is how it isn't limited, there is so much you can do with the language rather then simply with what you have. If anything, that makes a language worth while.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
All the scripting languages, simple languages, complex languages, crippled languages, languages on top over other languages have their time and place, depending on what you want to do, but we are hijacking the thread.

V

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 18:29
Hijacking!?!? The only one that does that to the Riker 9 thread is Conjoured Entertainment!

-This...is my boomstick!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 00:35
I'M A HIJACKER. they aint on.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 06:03
STOP GETTING YOUR SIGNATURE ERASED CHRIS B [url=noone]

Merranvo, The Cool One

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Will the ryker 9 have support for toggle view of the hero where you can see the whole backend of the hero as you play?

Wil have it have more poly support? im assuming it well since the framerate will be higher...

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 16:27 Edited at: 29th Dec 2005 16:28
The framerate will be independent of the actual hardcoded one given some engine changes. I think something as been done regarding culling and limbs in the code therefor the polycount is on screen and not the whole map, hopefully, only Cellbloc can say exactly what's going on.

But bottom line is that it won't directly support a higher poly count but it will surely do that indirectly.

Never read anything about a 3rd person view support so I think that toogling views hasn't been considered. It would need to support the whole view of a character opposite to the weapon we have now and support animation for what the hero would be doing, so beats me what will happen, but I don't think I've ever read anything about it in this project.

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 16:30 Edited at: 29th Dec 2005 16:31
vlad if i can get 100 percent camera control, to toggle back and forth from first to third point of view i can get a character in there... at firstyou would just see a floating gun... but if you model the gun to BE the character holding it... then it will work.. i know it

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
hell somebody here said they got 90 percent camera control by attaching something to a skull, thats a start at least...

damn i wish i remember who that was cause, cause maybe they could help

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 16:38 Edited at: 29th Dec 2005 16:42
That would be Merranvo. I asked him for a cup of coffee and he did his magic even if I was only kidding.

Your idea is not too bad, but I can't see how you would make the calcs to shoot an enemy when you fire for example. If you put a character as a model, you will still be shooting from your 1st person perspective point, hence the intersects would probably fail or at the very least look very odd.

You could make the 3rd person view be the model you say behind our 1st person view, but you would have to make it hover in a circular motion when your first person turns around and that's too much complicated math for FPSC scripting... I think... oh Merranvo...

So, you would really be controling two PoVs thus making the whole idea of shooting the baddies useless or odd looking.

EDIT: Let me add a little bit here. The only way I see this working is to have a full body model holding guns and the engine making his part, taking the camera back and up or forward and down to allow 3rd or 1st person... and all the animation mambojambo, but that's a diferent aspect involving movement, being shot, picking the coffee Merranvo will bring me etc.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 19:33 Edited at: 29th Dec 2005 19:50
It is camera control, not camera placement. You can move the plr around and as long as FPS is high, he can't do anything about it.
I want to add another script command...

Makes the Scenes Better

While I am at it...

of course, this addition, I have no clue where it should go. But I think it might work.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 03:04
Nope. No plans on 3rd person view (hence why it is called a First Person Shooter Creator).

A lot of it has to do with collision detection as well as selecting what your character looks like. I don't have code to the editor (not that I'm willing to share that info) and would not even know where to begin with that.

-This...is my boomstick!
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 05:16
TGC KNOWS that once they release the game code, anyone who understands it could make the base editor.

Cellblock, by collision detection, you are refering to camera collision? Yeah, I can imagine how that could get annoying, you can't allow the camera to go though walls, yet as it is not a physics object you need to preform more math to propperly reposition it. I would think.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 07:02 Edited at: 30th Dec 2005 07:02
Exactly Merranvo. I actually had a 3rd person view of it working, but if you got into a corner, the camera clipped through the wall and since the walls are double sided, I could not see myself. Quite annoying.

-This...is my boomstick!
foleypro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 09:03
Yes and you have Collision on...?
And is there a way to go from Face to Vertice collision..?
If there is then couldnt you set a NULL object up within the walls that would act as the anchor point for the camera to link too and follow a certain Path around the Meshes..?

As Always B3D....www.fnggames.com

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 22:47 Edited at: 30th Dec 2005 23:17
Oh, and Cellbloc, does that flash light thing work? Except for the fact it runs off of the weapon's light (which means the instant you fire it goes off.) So mabey you can set it as 0 and create a new light object. Just asking. But It looks like light 0 is used with the sky... And it looks like the light won't follow once activated.

Mabey Now...

Merranvo, The Cool One

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 22:57
Not sure why I am posting this exactly - just as a matter of interest I guess.

When I was Beta testing I asked for consideration for an additional feature "attach to object" (great for torches and many other situations) to be added to FPSC - this was well recieved by Lee who could see many advantages of such a feature/function and at the time it was added to the active list of things to be developed I do believe.

Anyway that was long ago before V1 and things passed us all by and now who knows what if anything will ever be added by TGC.

Just thought I would pass some more useless info to you.

Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 07:01
With R9, will be we able to use more then 1 texture on an entity?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:51:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:51:29