Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Operation Desert Fallout (Dissertation project) Image heavy!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 22:11
Yeah, basically mine look like the ones on the left too. It's a very simple distance formula, so only looks good with normal turning. Sharp turning or reversing etc. don't work.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 01:15 Edited at: 16th Feb 2006 01:40
Sorry peeps. I over estimated what I could get done. But the arsenal is 60% complete. Here's a cheeky little vid of a tank, AA gun, machine gun jeep, pillbox and rocket truck, venting a bit of frustration at targets and each other. There is no collision yet, so they hit nothing but air, but it's all still looking pretty cool. Check out the vid.

60% of game arsenal (7MB WMV)

Expect an update to this video in the near future. Also, ignore any culling issues at the corner of the screen. I've only just put in the camera zooming code, so need to tweak the culling accordingly.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 01:44
nice video . One suggestion...make the music less prominant .

Pirates of Port Royale:
http://www.popr.gwgaming.net (Temporarily Disabled, We Apologize for the Inconvenience)
Live the life.
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 01:44 Edited at: 16th Feb 2006 01:45
Cool! A bunch of stuff shooting stuff!!!!

lol, posted at the same time

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 03:48
Quote: "One suggestion...make the music less prominant "

well, that's the theme song, and I'm guessing he has yet to make the other music for the game.

Absolutly amazing by the way. Looks and apears to feel very proffetional. I espesialy like how wall the mouse controls seem to work. The aresnal is quite impressive, and very realistic.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 14:05
Thanks for the kind comments guys. Yeah, as Bizar guy said, the music is the intro/menu music, and not in-game music. I thought seeing as this was a demo of the arsenal and not a gameplay demo, an upbeat sound track would be good.

Right, gonna get to work on the rest of the stuff shooting stuff.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 14:14
Man, I never look at the stickies. This is looking like it's shaping up goood. Awesome particle effects. You thought about using Newton/ODE to send stuff flying realistically when you shoot it?

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 14:16
Wow nice vid try freeplaymusic.com for in game music

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 18:02 Edited at: 16th Feb 2006 18:39
<deleted>

video looks nifteh

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 20:23 Edited at: 16th Feb 2006 20:38
Cheers chaps. Here's the updated arsenal vid with everything in it. You dont see too much action from the choppers firing. As before, still no collision, but plenty of action. This never drops below 200FPS (Edit: It says 40FPS in the top left as Frap imposes a limiter when capturing video footage) on my compo, so it's looking good for speed at the moment.

Game Arsenal (No weapon collision) (8.4MB WMV)

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay! Even more stuff shooting stuff
lol, looks awesome!!!

Just one suggestion about the camera: you should be able to x and z rotate it.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 00:35
It'd be cool to be able to fully xrotate the cam, but unfortunately, keeping the view down is what keeps the FPS up. If you could xrotate to see more of the landscape, it'd plummet, so I won't be putting in xrotatation. Sorry.

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 17:03 Edited at: 17th Feb 2006 17:03
Fallout, at least think out side of the box, reset the field of view limits for the camera depending on the xrotation value. Therefor keeping the roughly the same amount of landscape in view including objects.. meaning better FPS

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 18:26
what about fog of war?

[/center]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 20:00
I don't really see a reason to have xrotate. Maybe zoom, but not xrotate.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 20:15
There won't be any x-rotation of the camera I'm afraid guys. The tecnical complexities outway its necessity to my project and the gameplay. I dont think the FOV technique is viable either.

There won't be a fog of war, but there will be line of sight between friendly and enemy units (so you can hide behind buildings).

There's already zooming.

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
this looks really nice... reminds me of C&C...

good luck on the game's completion... i'll be keeping an eye on your progress...

--Mike
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 23:56
I think there should be an xrotate that is bounded by the camera height. That would stop you looking into the horizon which I think is what you're worried about.

I know you think it's a superfluous feature but it really is nice to be able to make it look exactly how you want. It's not the sort of thing people would be playing with the whole time, just set it once to the right angle and then leave it.

I think I might like bird's eye, but I know lots of people who like isometric.

Also do you have to build barracks etc. C&C style or is it more Homeworld?

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 17:09
Fallout how did you do the explosion effects? i'm looking for something similar

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 16:37
I havent readt all of the posts so Im not sure if you're already planning on doing this or not, but I think if you added some dirt marks to the bottoms of all of the buildings they would blend in with the map more. Then again you're probably not too worried about the graphics at this stage yet, just an idea. Looks great though!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 18:45
Thanks for the continued comments and suggestions. They're helping me get everything pinned down.

Here's how units will be distinquished. It does take a small amount of style away from the units, and the troops do look a little like Samurai warriors, but I felt this was the best way for me to implement team separation at this time. Thanks to Van B for the simple yet clever suggestion.

@3ds Master - They're just 3 ghosted plains (one pointed at the camera and 2 parellel with the ground) each with an animating explosion texture on them. Then a few smoke particles are generated later (alpha mapped plains with a smoke image on them which scale, and fade out).

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 18:48
Cool thanks fallout looking great still

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 17:29
Here's the alternative to the samurai men. I think this is nice and subtle, so will be the standard. Flag men might still be selectable though for those that like it.

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd personally prefer the rings around the men, reminds me of warrior kings

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 18:51 Edited at: 20th Feb 2006 18:51
Looking sweet Fallout .

Dunno how it would fit with the gameplay, but perhaps the suggestion to use a flag for the group leader (along with the floor icons) would be cool, can't remember who suggested it - but if you could set troops to follow their leader, then the player could just give the leader commands and assign some troops to tag along. I like making massive armies in RTS games, I end up with massive messy armies all over the place because C&C style unit grouping annoys me . If you have an experience system too, you could assign the leader automatically, like select a load of troops and let it designate a leader itself.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 20:24
Damn it! Lost my big old reply to a server glitch. Ok, a quick sum up ..

Deadlines are fast approaching so I dont have time the implement any more cool features or change graphics at all. So for now, all those ideas (and the squad leader with a flag is a nice one) will go on the back burner and might be done as future work. The task ahead of me with path finding and AI is a big one, so I need to get cracking on it.

Once again, thanks for the flag suggestion Van. It was a goodun!

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 23:07
Looking sweet great effect on the military guys

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 05:06
Just from the screenies it looks more fun than AoE, Im drooling already cant wait to see what else you add to it great job Fallout.

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 20:16
wow

I wanna congratulate you on your quick progress with this game. Only a few weeks ago all you had were a collection of models and an idea, but now you have got your self a bona fied great game.

Well done!

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 21:03
Wow, those rings look sweet! Can't wait for this to be done...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 03:32
I said it before and I'll say it again, looks great, one of the best DBP I've ever seen, can't wait for a demo . Your sure to get an A on this project for school .

Pirates of Port Royale:
http://www.popr.gwgaming.net (Temporarily Disabled, We Apologize for the Inconvenience)
Live the life.
Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
If only it work like that. Marks all in the writing. COuse have done somthing to write about.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 15:34
Thanks again guys. Still trying to keep it up to scratch gameplay wise. And Cavex is right - it'll all be in the write-up.

Anyway, I thought I'd upload a demo of my last two days effort. This is the progress so far on the pathfinding process. I'm not using a tilebased system - units are free to move anywhere, and are not restricted to squares. This made using A* a bit tricky, so i've come up with my own combo of raycasting and node networking. It works pretty well and units can tear through the city.

I've not tested speed yet, and there is no collision with trees or other vehicles yet, but so far so good. Uhhh.... the background music was being streamed off an internet radio station as well, so fraps picked it up. I didn't put it in there by choice.

PathFinding (Alpha vid - 2.5MB/WMV)

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 16:01
looks very cool , since your aiming to make a c&c game have you made any of the making buildings and things? that being the main part of the game.

Halowed are the ori.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 16:14 Edited at: 24th Feb 2006 11:13
I'd disagree that that's the main part of the game. I think blowing each other up is! But no, there is no building construction. The reasons being that I can't do everything in the time limit I have (hence the cut down unit count, 1 map etc.), and constructing buildings isn't one of the "technical challenges" that my project is aiming to prove. It's kinda given that, if I can get DB to run with 10 buildings on screen, its kind of irrelevant if they player made them or not (from a technical point of view - not from a playable point of view).

So this will be much more simple than C&C:Generals gameplay wise. It might end up being more fun though ... maybe.

Edit: You can build base defences though.

TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 03:48
very, very nice work

Box World.....WIP coming soon....
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, looking sweet, hope to see a demo soon! I'm a big fan of generals, and you almost have the graphics level captured. Nice particle effects too.

www.badpicsofmatt.tk
www.silver-dawn.net
Essence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 07:46
I didnt read the whole thread, but i'm wondering something

Quote: "• Adopt convincing overall defense and offense strategies"

Does this mean that the enemy is actually learning from his own mistakes? If so, this would be the best A.I. ever made in DB.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 11:19
I don't think I have time to try and make that degree of AI. What I meant by that requirement is the AI should act like it is actually attacking you effectively and should defend effectively too. None of this sending one unit per minute which you easily destroy, or not moving back to the base to defend it when you attack it.

I'll do my best with the AI, but I think it's the sort of thing you need to tweak over a period of time to get it just right. So I'll do what I can do with the amount of time I have.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 05:53 Edited at: 1st Mar 2006 05:54
I think what AI should do in a RTS game...

Instead of timer, or group size based attacks, perhaps have the computer AI select a location of player or enemy AI structures and calculate the average group strength required to defeat it, and then build up an army equivalent and then some to the necessary amount, and attack.

I suppose this could work basically by having the computer select the nearest static defense, (such as a turret) and then within a decent sized radius, (the center being the original enemy unit chosen to be attacked) the AI could calculate how many tanks or troops necessary to defeat that radius of units/structures, and then attack when the AI army is large enough if it is strategic at that time.

I think that would be cool to see.

BTW, this game is looking sweet. I love C&C Generals, and you are getting pretty close graphics wise. Keep it up!

www.badpicsofmatt.tk
www.silver-dawn.net
Diablo 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Agent Dink, while that is a great idea for RTS AI, it would prove to be too difficult for some players. Maybe have that kind of AI for advanced players, but some people, myself included, who are new to CnC would find it too difficult...

@ Fallout

One word...

WOW!

This game looks fantastic! I love the graphics and the effects and Pathfinding AI! Hopefully I'll be able to code something as advanced as this... Time will tell eh? lol

"Why do I look at you and see myself? You look like my father, but you can't be. He died! Just who the hell are you?"
"I know this sounds crazy, but I'm you!"
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 20:20
@Agent Dink - Good ideas mate. I'll definitely think about them when I get onto the AI. Something a little more human, like that, would definitely improve it. I just need to sit down and plan out all the objectives of the AI.

@RooMilne - Thanks man. And it won't be too hard, I assure you. With a bit of practice, you should be able to crack whatever AI I throw in there.

Anyway, just thought I'd update the pathfinding vid from the alpha. This now includes a more rigorous algorithm, a partial hud (click where the tank goes) and trees are no longer drive-thru-able.

Path Finding Update (2.5MB WMV)

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, if I ever make an RTS, which I'd love to someday, I'm gonna try to implement something like that. I think that RTS AI is very lacking in most games.

www.badpicsofmatt.tk
www.silver-dawn.net
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 00:42

that tree tipping effect is that ez rotate in action as it reminds me of the code that ron helped me out with?
i also have it in my game.
really nice pathfinding my own suck in comparison as i use an tile based one.
cheers
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 01:10
Looking great! The way it runs over the trees is pretty cool.

Just one suggestion, could you try and make it drive on the road if it happens to be going in that sort of direction? I don't know how much extra coding that might be for you, never having made a rts myself, but that's the one thing that bugs me each time I watch one of the path finding vids.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 13:28
@Cliff

Nah, it's a cheeky system using fix object pivot. The trees only ever x and y rotate. When it figures out which way they want to fall (say 30 degrees on the yaxis), it rotates the tree the opposite direction (-30), then fix object pivot. Then rotates back 30 degrees. The tree is now at 30 degrees on the y-axis, but appears to be facing 0 degrees as it was before. Now you can just xrotate it and it'll fall in that direction.

@Bizar Guy

I agree to an extent. It'd be cool if the tank drove down the road, but if I put in code like that, then it might cause problems when many units are moving in one direction. I'll have to code in more checking to see who's on the road and who's driving round it etc. Maybe a potential addition if I get time.

Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
What next Fallout?
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 18:41
At the moment, I'm doing the cool stuff .... blowing sh*t up! Just made a new particle system called the Debris system. It works in a similar way to the particle system but is completely separate. It makes use of preloaded primitives of wheels, metal panels and charred metal pieces which are thrown into the air and bounce around when things blow up. Tanks blow up quite well. Gonna work on the rest. Also working on weapons finally damaging their targets and thus triggering explosions when they die.

Looking cool. Demo in a bit probably.

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 19:49
Jalous here... pathfinding Hmmm i wish i knew how to create such pathfinding system. How did you figured it out?

.::Studying game design at the moment::.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 20:23
thats why you are such an more talented coder then me.
i nead the nice guys like ron and rich that have bin forced by an annoying and wacky swede to help out.
i dont know how much code that is neaded for your tree tipping effect but i have 2 gosubs.
something like this.

i cant take that much credit of this code as its rons handy work.
i can only say that he gives good support to his products and an really nice guy.
and i must say you get alot more rotation power with ez rotate and its extremelly low cost.
my main recomendation to you for this plugin is mostly speed and the eaze for you to make separate turn maneouvers for each unit without having to use dummy objects.
i could delete about 150 dummy objects after getting ezrotate.
oops when i read wath i have typed so do i sound like an ez rotate commercial.
ron told me that he was going to put up the tree hitting code on the forums so they should be here somewhere-
cheers
and damit fallout this looks like an real contender,i yust want some running code to try out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 16:11:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 16:11:11