Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 01:37
a lot of projects get stuck midway, However im sure your's will continue. What i was talking about was the representations of enemies, are they going to be full length or cut off at the knees? if your combat section is separate from teh main 3d world, then maybe just single frame full body shots litter the map, and then animated or single frame mid section shots for the combat.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 01:43 Edited at: 18th Mar 2006 01:47
Actually (heh heh) you do not see enemies until they are upon you (kind of a random encounter, or set encounter thing) the 3d view gets replaced by the monsters image and you have the option to Fight or Flee, combat is done by entering your parties options for the turn then text scrolls to show you the outcome of the round. If you have never played Bard's Tale, you can download it at bardstaleonline.com to see what I am talking about.

EDIT I am attaching a screen shot of what I mean

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 07:10
Quote: "Ahem. WHEN this is done. Sorry about that, I am trying really hard to make sure this is completed and "if" throws me back a little. "

like wigget said that alot of projects dont finish so i sayd "if"

[href]www.freewebs.com/edromeproductions[/href]
look there for all my model packs latest updtes and other stuff!
(its not old yet)
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 07:55
understood no harm. no foul. just reinforcing that I will finish this project. even if I am 90 and using dbpro beta 78 on windows 2059 I will finish this project.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 08:24
ahh ok so like the final fantasy style encounters. that is also cool. pixel art rox.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 09:18
Wow just spent 2 hours trying to figure out why an input routine I wrote was not working properly, who knew it was attaching the return stroke as a hidden character. couldn't see it when i was printing it but finally found it with len. SOAB....

Well on the bright side now you can drill the barkeep for information.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 09:39
can you drill the beer wench?

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 09:39
uhh, for information i mean...

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 15:48
now now. Don't go looking for Easter Eggs already
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 12:11
you should build in a quest editor too!

because "The quests make the RPG good!"

(its not old yet)
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 17:57
That is something I kind of have implemented already in my map creation tool. I do need to make a higher level tool set that sets global info though. For quests I want to eventually install a Journal that keeps track of key pieces of information for the player. My first major game using this engine will probably be a 80 hour plus game so I think the journal will be a good idea. I am looking to make the content on the E-10 level.

The Demo: Things are looking good for having this released by april 1. It should have what will basically be the prolouge to the main story. Including a town to explore as well as three dungeon levels (crosses fingers).
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 02:18
Hey; I just got Megaton Cats model pack so I have some new textures to work with, not that i don't like the models they just don't work with my minimal poly idea.

Here is a screen shot with the new textures, it is from my editor so is a full screen image instead of inside the playscreen.

"Lost in an old Jail"

Attachments

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 02:55
that is like 10 kinds of nice.

Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
who drawed this stuff ? i need you to draw stuff for me, i can pay you, but only coke and pizza money, donts expect much, after all we are independet broke developers

really cool drawings dude.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 14:59
@supremacy

I would love to help you but at the moment I am swamped with developing media for my own project. Perhaps when I get a little more time.
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 18:42
Here are some of the previous images now inked as they will appear in the game.

The dark ELf

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 18:42
and the female barbarian

Attachments

Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 19:32
Hehe, for such an amoung I would find time to work as well
The game is looking quite interesting, should be interesting to see how things turn out.

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 20:00
Sorry hobgoblin for the wee hijack but...
JONNY ! where the hell have you been old boy ?...I been trying to email you but I have no Idea which is your current address. Please drop me a line, mucho's been happening by good friend!
Tata

Sorry again Hob

M.I.A is pending
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
do you need help ? 3d models ? codding ? "sound" ? testures ? any stuff ? i would like to be in this project if you guarantee you work on it daily, and if you need help of course, im a very good media developer and i really like this project

+ you draw really good !!!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 20:46 Edited at: 21st Mar 2006 20:51
@supremacy

Yes I work daily (much to the chagrin of my wife) I am keeping a log and working 40+ hours a week on the project. I could use a set of dungeon textures (something dark) I am using 256x256 .bmp with (255,0,255) as my transparent I need to keep them .bmp to ensure transparency. As for models I am using very few most are very low poly (60 or less polygons) they are just for features such as trees, colums, gravestones, Roofs(which I just added). If you did not notice my maps are made from 20x20 plains only (no matrix) this is to keep me from having to A; do a lot of UV work, B;keep the maps realy low poly the focus is on the game story not the graphics. Coding: Not at this time (too many cooks spoil the soup and all), Sounds a few ambients would be good (water dripping, running water, birds etc)

Any media needs to be original or something that is free to use for commercial products without restriction. As for licensed things I did get Megaton Cats Model pack so CHanges to those textures should be fine since I have paid for their use already. Help is appreciated, as I said before I am spending about 75% of my time on media creation which is slowing code progress.

Cheers
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 21:02
HobGoblin lord

Do you mind if i place this in my Game Engine library as a "Work In Progress" Engine?

(its not old yet)
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 21:06
I don't mind at all. Is the link to your library the edromeproductions site?
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 21:08
No im currently still prgramming it with Visual Basic.
Check my threath in Geek Culture Forum for details

(its not old yet)
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 21:50
Sorry for this double post:

hobgoblin:
please give me a list of features what it will have and a website for it.

(its not old yet)
optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 14:44
Liking this project very much. Keep it up!

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 15:54 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2006 15:55
Hello All;

Well I spent last night tweaking the character creation process (code wise that is), now I need to make some better media for it. As things stand at the moment there are 12 races and 10 classes to choose from. The character mechanics are very similar to d20 with the exception of spell points. I have male or female in and plan to make some special items that only work for certain genders, classes, and races.

A couple things I am thinking of and would like some input on.

1) Not so much a feature but, I was thinking of adding in a "screenshot hotkey" that will take youtr screenshots, save them as .jpg, and put them in a special folder naming them automatically. I thought this might be good for people doing walkthroughs later, or for them just to show their progress in the game.

2) Making some of the Races "Unlockable", perhaps limiting the initial field to 6 or 7 races and allowing some of them to the player after they complete a certain part of the game.

3) NO CHEAT CODES- Do people really care about these things?

4) Specialty classes- These will be classes that certain other classes have the option to morph into once they reach a certain point. Example "Myrmidon" a class that the fighter can change to after reaching level 12, and with completing a special quest. I was thinking of branching each class into three options The core class, and two hybrid classes. This does mean however I am looking at adding 30 classes to the game. Does that seem like too many?
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 21:04
Hobgoblin lord:

Did you read my post of stuff i need to place it in the library?

(its not old yet)
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 21:35
Silver;

No website as of yet, I am holding off until the engine is complete and bugless and the first game release is 70% done before I start a website. Features, there are many, are they all set in stone yet? No. Mainly it is going to be to develop Turn based, Party Based, RPG's of any genre from fantasy to sci-fi. It is a 2d/3d hybrid designed to run quickly with minimal to no loading time between zones. It is for 1 player only and is designed to focus on story, puzzles, and extended play over being a project where all the work goes into the models and awesome looking levels but the story and game are sub-par at best.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 06:58
OK ill just copy and paste this.

(its not old yet)
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 11:32
I've been silently hovering over this particular thread for a few days now, and I must say that I am excited about what this could be. I'm just wondering, how are the controls for the level editor going to work out in 3D? Also, will the user be able to decide what areas certain monsters will appear randomly?

Keep up the excellent work

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 13:54
Quote: "I'm just wondering, how are the controls for the level editor going to work out in 3D? Also, will the user be able to decide what areas certain monsters will appear randomly?
"

A couple of things here. Since their is mo real "Modeling" going on in the editor it is done in 2d then translates to 3d. As for monsters yes you can choose what can be random where (each map can be set into zones and each zone can have a random monster list all its own or none at all. You can also place specific encounters where you want them. As for the "user" thankfully it is only me right now. I will be releasing games made with the engine first, I will not release the actual rpg creation software until a few things happen.

1) I find out how to have it make independant executables like T3DGM
2) I totally rework/debug/turn inside out, the toolsets. If you have ever used the siege editor you know why I want this to really work well before I even think about a release.
3) I need to compile a really large library of media to properly release this as well and that will take a little time.

PS i should be posting some new character images later today.
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 19:05
As promised here are some of the finished characters.

The orc barbarian

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 19:06
The human male barbarian

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 19:06
The Human male ranger

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 19:06 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2006 19:09
and the female human ranger.

I am working out the next group of characters now and will post some sketeches then finals eventually

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 21:18
Looks nice!

(can you make an import feature to import textures,characters,custom classes)

(its not old yet)
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 23:03
Textures: Yes

Characters: That depends on the character format, if you mean from a game created with this to another one absolutely. from bards tale Yes, from diablo II yes, as for other formats i have not dug through the save files to figure out how to convert them yet. Neverwinter and Pool of radiance are my next tasks for import.

Custom Classes: There will be a feature in the main toolset that lets you pick and click a classess features and name it whatever. as for new special abilities for custom classes that I have not tackled but i doubt it would be very easy. I will probably make a large list of special features to add to the classes when they are designed.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2006 06:43
Cool!

(its not old yet)
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 16:36
Hey all, just an update. Have most of the data files for equipment, monsters, and maps in for the demo. Looking good for on time release.

Questions: I have posted a few but it seems no one replies to them so I guess I just won't ask anyone for input as to what they would like to see from this project. I just thought a little outside input might make this better
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 17:07
What did you asked then?

i think i looked over them

(its not old yet)
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 17:58
I think one of them was in regards to the boss in the first demo.

common people are walking in line.
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 10:31
Quote: "
A couple things I am thinking of and would like some input on.

1) Not so much a feature but, I was thinking of adding in a "screenshot hotkey" that will take youtr screenshots, save them as .jpg, and put them in a special folder naming them automatically. I thought this might be good for people doing walkthroughs later, or for them just to show their progress in the game.

2) Making some of the Races "Unlockable", perhaps limiting the initial field to 6 or 7 races and allowing some of them to the player after they complete a certain part of the game.

3) NO CHEAT CODES- Do people really care about these things?

4) Specialty classes- These will be classes that certain other classes have the option to morph into once they reach a certain point. Example "Myrmidon" a class that the fighter can change to after reaching level 12, and with completing a special quest. I was thinking of branching each class into three options The core class, and two hybrid classes. This does mean however I am looking at adding 30 classes to the game. Does that seem like too many?
"

Some of the questions I asked

Not saying this to be mean or anything, I just thought perhaps people were not interested in providing input
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 20:06
1) COOL!

2)COOL!

3)Well thats kinda good!

4)Cool!

Can you also make things like in main meny you can "Buy" Classes?

(its not old yet)
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 01:55
Hobgoblin

I'm interested in this project, in fact it's one of the few (out of 2-3) that I'm keeping track of on a regular basis. I didn't really comment on the features because they're pretty standard, or have been done before. They're all good ideas.

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to get enemies to join you, or summoned, etc. and fill up empty slots in the party. I always found it fun to have a party with some non-humanoid characters to play. If you could get these non-standard characters to have cool options/abilities and level up with experience... that would be something unique. I have a design for a top-down RPG (like old Ultimas) which heavily uses non-standard characters in your party. Anyway just my 2 cents. I hope you get this project to a demo stage soon, I'd like to see how combat goes and the inventory system. Those two can make or break an RPG.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 18:07
well I have a few spells that do this. some are various summons that bring a creature into your party, and some are a charm like spell that will cause a monster (maybe) tto join your party. I actually fleshed out the Character Type so that both monsters and PC's use the same type for this reason. One of the things I am working on is the monsters AI as the player maty summon them but cannot control their exact actions in combat.
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 01:32
Well hopefully tommorow is the day for the demo (crosses fingers) I have pretty much everything in place but have noticed a few bugs 1 primarily when you enter the 4th combat (whether random or fixed) that is causing the game to crash. I have no idea why this is happening since it just closes without giving me an error. I am scouring the code and hope to find the problem soon. Debug mode stinks this is one of the few places where I prefer c++ better. As is you will notice that some graphics, notably some of the character portraits and monsters have placeholder graphics until i develop the proper media for them.
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 01:42
almost forgot I have a few more character portrait sketches here. I need to make some minor changes like the male druids shield arm and the bow legged look of the female otherwise they are about ready to be inked.

The male

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 01:43
femal druid

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service