Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 21:01
@ Hobgoblin,

Excellent - keep it going.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 21:08
Just an update, though I am still working on this and have no plans to scrap it I am currently under contract to do paid work so have pushed this to the side for now till my time is freed up a little. Cheers to all who have supported me.

http://www.cafepress.com/blackarrowgames
Check out my great stuff here
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 23:26
OK,

Well back to work on this. I have been making steady progress and plan to have a limited Beta in just a few weeks, this brings me to the following.

BETA TESTERS NEEDED

I am in need of four beta testers, all who do so will get a free copy of the game when released, their name in the credits, and an ingame mention of some kind (item, monster whatever).

Testers will be expected to do the following, so if you cannot please do not apply.

1) Run through the game with a fine tooth comb. Be prepared to play through it several times to find anything odd.

2) Fill out a few forms rating everything from gameplay, graphics, storyline etc. Give good feedback concerning areas you see improvement needed.

3) Work through several phases of the Beta development.
Phase 1) limited Beta with shorter gameplay to polish the
engine itself.

Phase 2) Alpha of complete game, testing of the storyline
and expanded gameplay elements.

Phase 3) Beta of the complete game to make sure all the
ducks are in a row and everything is complete.

I am expecting all the testing/ retooling etc to take until mid 2007 so this is a long term commitment to those interested.

Thanks for your consideration, you can post desire to join the beta team here.

Cheers
Hobgoblin Lord

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 19:00
@ Hobgoblin,

I'd be honoured. May help with bugs. Think I'd be best with plot, story line etc...?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 09:22
@Duffer,

Glad to have you aboard, I know you have been a steady poster in this thread so I will be glad to get your input.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 21:20 Edited at: 24th Nov 2006 21:21
Sounds good mate wish i could help but tied up with too many things.

The admiral
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 23:59
Hi Hobgoblin,
im not a regular poster on this board, but ive been following your games progress with interest. I love old school rpgs, and I would love to test and give you feedback
regards
draknir

ps in case i dont respond immediately on this forum ( i check once every few days ) just email me at blinking[dot]halo[at]gmail[dot]com
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 05:08
I dont post my illustration work anymore, I must say your style is great!, whos the inker btw.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 05:27
The inker for the anime style work is Darkside Graphics, Dave Gervais did the UI and the inventory sprites I am using. The rest of the work is mine (except some of the textures). I decided to change the style to get a little less of a cartoony feel and to a style I could do in color (sort of), just moved my warhammer minature painting techniques to digital canvas. Also it keeps from having to keep shelling out to get people to color things.

Quote: "I must say your style is great!, "

I think great must have some other meaning down under, like wrinkle I can do enough to not make myself look like an A$$ and that is about it. I am slow.slow.slow and never happy with my stuff. SOme day pehaps I will get photoshop or illustartor or something better than Graphics Gale (Which I should not slight its great and popped out all of the above )

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 05:34
Hey I'll beta test I've got plenty of time, especially this weekend.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 05:38
Crazy,

Thanks for the offer, nothing is ready at all for this weekend and it will be a few weeks still before I pass out the first round for testing (Alot of things I already know about no reason to have people waste their time checking those)

Draknir I sent you an email.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 01:22
K but I'll still beta test if you need

Programmer Dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 02:19
lookin' schweeet

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 06:25
Crazy, consider yourself added to the list. Space for one more

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 06:38
Hobgoblin, I could beta test. I have nothing to do now since football is over so its all computer time now

Load Programmer "Crazy Programmer",1
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 07:20
OK so crazy makes 4 thanks all who are interested I will get the beta to you asap.

While I was at it thought I would post a screenshot here.
How about the shop interface.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 07:26
Very nice. I cant wait to see the finished product!

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 20:06 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 01:42
http://download.xdrive.com/s/760873969QlynKwiime78yDvn38V&partner=plus

current demo of the game. many of the features are turned off at the moment and this is far from what will be getting BETA tested, but I thought people might like to get a better idea of how the game will run.

controls

title screen just left click the options are not on.

Game WASD or arrow keys move.

LMB selects, equips, unequips, and uses inventory items. also can be used to select options in some areas (text will highlight red).

RMB used to drag items from chests to a character or to drag from one characters inventory to trade to anothers. just drop items onto a charactres mini portrait to give it to him/her.

space key used to exit certain screens like an open chest or character detail view.

combat- only attack, advance, and defend are active. the front three characters may attack. advancing moves a character to the front of the line.

"n" when character detail view is opened this moves that character to the front of the group.

enjoy, comments welcome. thought this might hold you over till after some testing has been done.

EDIT: Just noticed I have character death turned off, and I forgot to iclude an image so you get a loading screen (the default) in the bar sometimes. I will upload a correct version a little later. sorry. on the bright side you can walk around with a group of dead party members

EDIT2 FILE UPDATED

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 23:51
Nice work with the demo. I can tell this is going to be an addictive game!

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 00:42
I'm gonna upload the fixed version in a few minutes. hmm 23 downloads and 1 comment

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 01:44
ok I have updated the link above to the fixed file. enabled death for the characters and guard, rage, power attack, and hide abilities. Use item during combat and Cast spell are still disabled.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 03:43
'Twas cool... couldn't figure out how to attack I'm dumb

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 04:13
A attacks. the commands are in the () so (A)ttack, (D)efend etc. mouse works too but I have it turned off in combat at the moment till I make sure all the commands I want are in properly

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 08:46
Here is the layout for the wizards spellbook.

Attachments

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 00:34
Where do I look to see how much health the monster has? I may sound noobish but I must just be missing something

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 00:39
Nice work on the spell book. Is it going to have a turning page effect or are you not going to have that many spells?

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 02:01
Quote: "Where do I look to see how much health the monster has? I may sound noobish but I must just be missing something "

You don't, you learn from experince playing the game how tough the monsters are. I wanted to avoid the enemies walking around with signs on their chests that read "Level 1 monster 5 hp kill me!"

Quote: "Nice work on the spell book. Is it going to have a turning page effect or are you not going to have that many spells?"

There will be several pages of spells available, I plan for there to be six spell casting classes and each has up to 15 available spells. You will need to locate the spell and scribe it into your book, some of the spells have a minimum level to cast, others don't, and some (eventually) can be learned by any class.
The other page that is visible is where the spell details will appear when the mouse is over the spells icon.

Anyone else have any comments, got alot of downloads (53 in fact) but not many posts

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 01:51
Well the beta demo is very close to done and I expect I will have it to the testers in about a week. Just doing some of my own testing first before sending it out. Will be posting some new screenshots soon showing more aspects of the game.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 03:26
a screenshot of the spell book active in game, you cant see where the mouse is pointing but you get the idea.

Attachments

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 03:35
Nice work. When your ready for beta test. Im ready!

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 05:11 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2006 05:20
The demo looks very promising! The first time i started it up though, i faced 7 hawks right away nearly killing on of my chars! haha, really cool though.

one thing: the shopkeep doesnt work? i cant seem to buy anything, even though i have silver.

for the rest, it all looks great, i cant wait to test the beta

hm strange, perhaps this is already fixed, and maybe i should have waited to list bugs till the beta , but when i was outside the town, i was attacked by some blackforge dogs, i chose to run, but it forced me to fight. Then after the first volley of blows, it crashed with a 'array out of bounds' error
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 06:06
Quote: "The demo looks very promising! The first time i started it up though, i faced 7 hawks right away nearly killing on of my chars! haha, really cool though."

Glad you liked it. I do have the random frequency set a little high at the moment, mostly because I have not placed any set encounters so I didnt want people walking around for 20 minutes and nothing popping on them. That said even when I have it set to normal I have had times where they came one after the other, and even though its random they love to ambush me the moment I exit the temple after healing.

Quote: "one thing: the shopkeep doesnt work? i cant seem to buy anything, even though i have silver. "

You need to select a character by right clicking on them to buy stuff.

Quote: "hm strange, perhaps this is already fixed, and maybe i should have waited to list bugs till the beta , but when i was outside the town, i was attacked by some blackforge dogs, i chose to run, but it forced me to fight. Then after the first volley of blows, it crashed with a 'array out of bounds' error "

Running is not 100% guaranteed there are times you will not be able to escape the fight. As for they array problem I am unsure what happened, but we can get to that more during the testing.

Thanks for the feedback

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 08:38 Edited at: 6th Dec 2006 08:47
@ Hobgoblin Lord,

Sorry been busy for a week or so. Looking at your posts at the mo...
[edit]
Armoury / Shop interface - nice, would be good if you could perhaps have some sort of icon or image at top on left to indicate it's a shop or better yet the type of shop.... I dont know, perhaps an Anvil?

Spellbook - excellent - if you were looking to add to it, perhaps something on the pages about type of magic? level of magic? type of magic user? always a nice little touch to have spells available in game but unplayable (yet) hashed out - sort of a carrot and stick to the player - draws them in...? perhaps details on right somewhere when select particular spell of mana/spell costs etc?

Generally, could you (do you already?) have it so that if you hold mouse over particular button/icon you get the helpful little box describing in brief what the button/icon does/is?

Havnt yet downloaded demo - wondering whether i should perhaps wait for the beta instead and take it from there? [3rd edit - in any event link dosnt seem to be working now..]

what about plot / story line etc? will this be sort of in beta in whole / in part or yet to be mathed-in?

[2nd edit]

are classes/professions &/or races fixed yet?

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 10:01
https://download.xdrive.com/s/394905913fK5Iys7lG741XWR4VQ3&partner=plus

The one problem with xdrive I have found is it clears a download link after 7 days, here is a more current link anyway.

in this link spells(most of them anyway) are active. The caster has an insane amount of sp and all the spells in her book and its not checking level so they can be tested. Many spells (particularly damage) do not drain the sp at the moment.

Quote: "Armoury / Shop interface - nice, would be good if you could perhaps have some sort of icon or image at top on left to indicate it's a shop or better yet the type of shop.... I dont know, perhaps an Anvil?"

Interesting thought. I usually try to make it obvious outside what type of shop it is, but truly there are no shop "types" any shop can hold anything and I try to make it obvious somtime with the shops name. I may not have mentioned it before but to sell items you drag the item over the little dollar sign and drop it.

Quote: "Spellbook - excellent - if you were looking to add to it, perhaps something on the pages about type of magic? level of magic? type of magic user? always a nice little touch to have spells available in game but unplayable (yet) hashed out - sort of a carrot and stick to the player - draws them in...? perhaps details on right somewhere when select particular spell of mana/spell costs etc?"

The type of magic is denoted by the icon color
red= Wizard of Destruction
Blue= Wizard of Faith
Green (not shown)= Wizard of summoning
Black (not shown)= Wizard of necromancy

All wizards will be able to learn all the spells from every school, but if it is not your school the minimum caster level will increase by 5(not implemented at moment)

Some schools (Destruction notably) have a much larger spell selection but it will take longer to get to their best spells.

Quote: "Generally, could you (do you already?) have it so that if you hold mouse over particular button/icon you get the helpful little box describing in brief what the button/icon does/is?"

Some things do this already Equipped Items and Spells both do. Items in chests or from monster bodies do not (mostly because even though you see them no actual item exists yet until given to a character.

Items in your inventory give info when selected.

Until next time
Hobgoblin Lord

PS if anyone has not seen my Want to be a monster thread in Geek CUlture check it out.

David G
User Banned
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 17:08
This looks pretty decent, great job.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 21:09
@ Hobgoblin,

All good!

P.S. your new link dosnt work either for download...

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 22:43
ps I just deleted it there was a problem with the file trying to upload again now

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 00:48
http://download.xdrive.com/s/448815855bq2rCReAaqsWCqBG58L&partner=plus

Ok here is the current link, sorry about that.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 05:30
For those that have downloaded the demo, avoid using the power attack option in combat, under certain circumstances it can cause an array out of bounds error.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 18:24
really awesome progress man I cant wait to play the beta with more content
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 00:03
OK the Beta is just about ready, I am just tightening a few things up with some quests and composing the gameplay manual, all should be done by Sunday at the latest (I hope). All Beta Testers please email me so I have the correct address to send a link and some other files to. Thanks all.

Once the Beta begins I think it best to report bugs and other thoughts here so the other testers will know certain bugs to be on the lookout for.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 07:50 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 07:52
OK Beta Testers A link has been sent to you with the current build. I just realised however I forgot to include a Manual So here it is in a sort.

Quote: "Spacekey skips intro

Load game only once you have saved one, It will not cause an error exactly but there is a slight problem with a quest not advancing properly if a non-existant game is loaded.

Map Mode

WASD or arrow keys to move

LMB to select a character with their portrait, bringing up detail view.

Detail View
"n"- send character to front of party
"b"- send character to back of party.
"c" have character cast a spell.
LMB ready, use or equip an Item, click on an equipped item to unequip it.
RMB drag an item to another character or in the shop sell it by dropping it on the sale icon.

Space key exits sub screens.

Changes since last build

Wizards have several sub-classes, the beta includes divine and power. Spells from a school other then a wizards primary school have a minimum level to cast 5 higher than normal.

2-handed weapons now take up both the weapon and shield spot, and apply a 1 1/2 strength bonus to damage.

The last two characters can attack if they have ranged weapons equipped. A character in the first 3 slots can attack with a ranged weapon but suffers a -2 to hit penalty.

If a warrior is leading your party you are less likely to encounter wandering monsters. Other class abilities are not implemented for leading the party. Your leader is the character in the top slot.

Mini Icons will show under each character affected by them, I will send a detail picture later to clarify what they may be. But left to right they are Armor, Strength, Dexterity, COnstitution, Bleeding, Poisoned, and Dazed.

You can save the game in the tavern.

This phase of Beta testing is with the pre-built party.

As far as I know all bugs that cause a crash have been eliminated, but hey every programmer thinks that

I will be sending more detailed info ASAP to each of you, for now please post any bugs (especially if they cause a crash) in this thread, along with any comments (good or bad).

For now the first goal is for each of you to play through the demo to its completion (though there is no actual end to it, the end is clearing the caverns), I would like your thoughts on areas that seem to easy or difficult."

Thank You
Noel

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 07:19
A few notes on the current build that are known.

image in the training hall is wrong size, loading a saved game can cause an error when you enter a static encounter so for now don't bother to save. There can be a rare instance where an encounter will give you an array out of bounds if you reduce the last monster to exactly 0 hp. These are all corrected but I am not uploading a new version till next week to correct any other problems that come up. going forward the downloads will be just the exe and updated text files so they will be alot smaller.

Thanks Noel

hotron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 08:57
this looks sweet! i love rpgs especialy the classical type ones!!!!!

Hotron Games
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 19:50 Edited at: 20th Dec 2006 19:53
Thanks Hotron,

Testers, here is an update to fix a few problems. just copy the files over the old ones as notesd in the readme.

Thanks

EDIT: saving and loading will now work fine. Just make sure to save first so you do not load data under the old fileformat.

Attachments

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 21:34
Can I be a tester? I love these old school RPGs and have played most of them. I know you only wanted four but is there room for one more? I can also help with any story elements.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2006 22:36
tiresius, just sent you the link. I think I forgot to add a subject though. Its from modclass56@aol.

With some of the reports back I have some things I am addressing.

1) withdraw showing the retreats text twice.
2) wrong description of the Rejuvination scroll

possible errors that I would like to know if anyone else has come across.

1) armor randomly getting unequipped
2) Dornik's Spectre doing 2700 damage (hey he is a boss)

Suggestions made that I am considering.

1) different color text when a monster hits you
2) removing the surnames from the combat window
3) a sixth character slot
4) hp/sp regeneration in town

thanks for the help so far. If everyone could let me know the system specs they are testing on it would be great.

Noel

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 09:19 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2006 09:20
Hi Noel-

I'll be the first to admit my system is crap. But I'm having some problems with the display. Most likely whatever form of transparency is being used does not jive with my card. I'm pretty sure that one of your earliest demos (just walking around town?) worked just fine, but I might be confusing your project with DevilWhiskey.

Let me just say this game is really cool.

Findings so far:

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 10:24
Ok. Yes that is all stuff that should be transparent, not sure what i can do about that I am using transparent PNG or 255,0,255 for some items still (like around the trees). my early demo did not use transparent png and just color 0 for the transparency that could be the difference.

Those are not benches actually they are the edges of the tower next to the entrance, i just need to cut those walls out.

The spell book will activate for anyone( mainly because all classes will have access to a few spells at some point.) the descriptions for all spells show up even if you do not have them just for any easy reference to the player as to what spells are coming up etc.

the spell description text is arial (I assume you must not have it or your card cannot display 12 point text in the 1024x768 resolution)

yes enemies can attack at any time except when you are in a shop, hey the best time to ambush you is while you are still strapping on your armor

SInce you cannot read the text I understand not knowing why the heal spell was not working. If a spell is not from your school the minimum level to cast it is 5 higher so lvl 6 for the power wizard to cast heal.

2handed info dissapearing confirmed will correct it.

well 2 calls for killing the escape key on priority list.

xp detail request granted

scaling cost under consideration

about your card, do you have trouble with transparency in other games?

Thanks for the info
Noel

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 16:38
Hi Noel-

Do you have anti-aliasing on the text? I remember another game (Age of Empires III) that had blocky black text like that, and I think it went away by turning off anti-aliasing. Just wondering if maybe that is it.

I haven't had any other transparency problems with games I've downloaded for DBpro. Do you just use planes from DBPro (MAKE OBJECT PLAIN) or do you have your own plane you use from a modeler?

What arguments to TEXTURE OBJECT do you use?

I can take one of the PNG textures and try different transparency settings myself and see if any of them work for me. Maybe there's some "xxxx AVAILABLE" command of mine that is "N" when others is "Y" like alpha blending or something?

And I'd like to vote for a 6th character slot, but have it (or all of them) open for monsters or mercenaries to join. I always liked that part of Bard's Tale when monsters could join the party. Allowing them to advance as well would be awesome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 09:57:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 09:57:55