Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 07:16
Thanks Tiresius, added to my new Bug list.

Noel

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 23:54 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 23:55
Thought I would share the dirrection I will be going with the final textures. In an attempt to make the art more cohesive, I am making them a little less detailed and more in the style of my portratits and monster images. Feed back is appreciated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 05:35
All the game art will be like that? So the textures will look more painted/pastel type? I like it!!

By the way, not really a bug but a suggestion:
When typing in a response to ask for info of the barkeep, the typing is very slow, and looks to only register the keypress when the key is lifted up. Just a heads up.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 08:42
@ Hobgoblin,

Like the textures. Been testing latest beta - no probs so far.
Will think about some constructive suggestions now....

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 18:19 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2007 18:19
Good to see approval of the new texture direction. Here is another one from the same set.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 18:01
Looks good.... can see im missing Bards Tale on Amiga

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in DarkEngine
http://yourmmo.wikispaces.com/
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 00:29
OK, A bit since I have posted, so a few updates.

1. Have been working on my final textures for the game.
2. Completed the real storyline and putting together the levels for it.
3. Expect the new Beta to be ready in about a month.
4. Character Creation completed.
5. Refined the engine to speed up load times.
6. More bug crunches.
7. Got some of the tacks for the bard songs. Each track is composed with several versions so that what instrument a bard has actually affects the song.

A Few of the Tunes

Song 3 Plucked

Song 2 Brass

I will keep you all up to date a little more as I close in on the next Beta.

Cheers

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 23:13
I thought this project had died, glad to see it is still going.

Completed the levels already? I was hoping you'd let the elite beta testers build their own dungeon with your toolkit.

Looking forward to the latest version.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 00:20
Quote: "I thought this project had died, glad to see it is still going."

Nah not dead just at a slow point (though I am putting in about 30+ hours a week on it), new media and the sort take forever to create.

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 17:55
sorry if someone already posted this but how much will it cost?
the engine looks awesome so far

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 11:31
Quote: "sorry if someone already posted this but how much will it cost?
the engine looks awesome so far"

Good Question

The first release will be the game Unleashed, I am planning on 14.95, Still hoping to be done by the end of the summer, but I picked up a few summer courses and had to put this aside for a bit as I am doing some contract work that will keep me busy for another 2 months.

As for licensing the engine and my toolkit for others to use, that is another matter. I have 2 possible options and I am still trying to work out the most viable.

1) Have a client program that runs the files created for the engine, kind of a point and click option for the user. This would let them make whatever rpg they want and sell it/do whatever with it, but the client would not be able to be modified. If I do this it will probably be around $40.

2) Provide the user with complete source code for the engine that they can modify as they see fit. They would then be able to create an exectable for their game to again sell/whatever and make major modifications to the code. The only thing they would not be allowed to do would be to distribute the sourcecode or use it to make a program as option 1. I would sell it this way in the neighborhood of $199 I think.

Option 1 seems more likely as I am not sure how many people would have $199 to drop on the engine, but then again option 2 would give developers far more flexibility. Either way it will still be a bit after unleashed comes out, as of right now my toolkits work well, but they do not have a good professional polish to them since they were designed to be functional not pretty and easy to use for the uninitiated.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 22:25
Borth options can be used too.

-Regular Edition
-Developper Edition

just an idea though.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 22:34
Hey Hobgoblin-

You have need for any beta testers with the latest build? I did the first round and I think I helped out somewhat. I'd like to see how the game has progressed so far because I really like BT-style RPGs!

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 11:52
Tiresius you are tops on my list of testers. As soon as I feel it is ready for the next round I will let you know. I have been working on a few other things lately more than this attempting to do other work to help properly fund this project, so it has been slower then I wanted it to be.

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
this looks absolutely fantastic!
keep it up

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2007 17:24
Sounds good I'm looking forward to it! Especially making a party and testing all sorts of scenarios!

By the way, do you have monsters being summoned or joining the party yet?

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2007 20:29
Quote: "By the way, do you have monsters being summoned or joining the party yet?"

Yes and at the same time no. A summoned creature does not appear in the party exactly, each player can actually have a summoned creature and they are referenced under the character that brought it into the world by a "summoned" icon similar to the icons for enhanced strength and whatnot. Some monsters/npc's however can join your party if you have free space.

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 16:22
will this be able to make standalone executables?if so, can you tell me how you got it to do that?

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 17:16
Quote: "will this be able to make standalone executables?if so, can you tell me how you got it to do that?"

It might, and it might not. He already explains it in his 25th Jun 2007 04:31 post... the two options he's thinking of. You would need DBPro and a lot of money to make an EXE if he decides to go that route.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 06:37
Quote: "will this be able to make standalone executables?if so, can you tell me how you got it to do that?"

As it stands now either option could make an executable in a way. I have tried to develop everything to be scripted, thus 1 standard executable could run any game as long as it has the proper scripting files with it. If I use option 1 it would simply copy that executable with a new name and all the associated files into a new folder. Option 2 would be easy since the developer would just need to make the executable on their own. The main problem I have with option 1 is protecting peoples media, I have been looking at ways to actually change the files included in the exe, The Winch did something with this previously as an updater.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 08:49:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 08:49:54