Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Woohoo looks like TGC started to think about new IDE. hyrichter keep it up.

AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c, DBPro 6.5
http://www.myspace.com/producerolby
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 13:09 Edited at: 11th Mar 2007 13:11
I tried Codesurge for a while and stuck with it for a couple of weeks but there are features in BlueIDE that are not in Codesurge and I miss them, so I have gone back to BlueIDE ... sorry

I keep checking back here to see if any of the features have been implimented but sadly not. I would prefer to use Codesurge because there are also features of Codesurge that I prefer (F3 to find the next search item being an obvious one that springs to mind).

I have mentioned my requests before but just as a reminder here they are again:

Line Selecting - Clicking in the Line number bar should highlight all of the line (Including Carriage return). Triple clicking in a line should select all of the line except carriage return.

Auto Indent - Type in the start of a loop, any loop (For/Do/While/If etc.) and hit return and the cursor should auto indent. When you close a loop (Endif/Next/Loop etc.) the closing statement should be automatically aligned with the opening statement.

Intellisense - Also needs to be in a status bar. The Status bar should also cover the parameters for user functions as well as known commands.

Help window - Remember the position and size last used. I use a twin monitor setup and like to have a full screen help window open on the second screen. It works until I close the help window. When I open it again it is full screen but on the same screen as codesurge covering my work.

Function folding - Would be nice to see it. I missed it when I moved to BlueIDE. I would love to have it back.

Auto open - When you open CodeSurge it woudl be nice if it automatically opened the previously edited code - Not in any way essential but it's a nice feature of BlueIDE.

If the first three options were implimented then I could happily uninstall BlueIDE. The last three options are just 'bells & whistles' and in no way essential but they would be nice to have.

... and finally. There seems to be a couple of small display errors. Certainly nothing major but you might want to take a look:

Uppercase D followed by a comma causes some truncation.

As does 'rgb(' but oddly not if it is in a comment.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 15:53
What font are you using? I have the latest version, and I dont get that with either D, or rgb()

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 16:50
Courier New
Size 10

Nabil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 07:42 Edited at: 12th Mar 2007 07:45
...waiting for an update... .-)

can you give us an update on the progress you have done so far?
would be cool.

have some new ideas:
ctrl+LMB on function name : jump to the line the function is defined at.
ctrl+LMB on type name: jump to the line the type is defined at.
ctrl+LMB on an include name: open the file the include specifies.

...like in delphi. allows very fast code navigation.

-Nabil/BananaAcid- The Banana has you...?!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 04:10
Sorry I haven't done much in way of an update yet. Too many things going on which I'd rather not discuss here.

Thanks for all your suggestions and bug reports, though. I want to work on this more, but life just gets in the way.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 07:32
The latest version of CodeSurge doesn't work for me at all where as the last version did.

None of the menu options do anything...AT ALL... lol

Dang...

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 07:57
Also when I said better graphics, I didn't mean 10 pass motion blur on the text as you scroll, with parallax mapping coupled with volumetric shadows under the cursor, I mean things like making the IDE more slimline, as while I've said this before the Image shortcuts(which are already graphics!) are totally useless for me, I've never used those buttons ever while using Code Surge, if I did that I must have fallen asleep at my PC and accidentally clicked it, at lest an option to remove it would be nice, because I like having an extra 2 lines of code.

Furthermore, while you already have the fancy sliding out toolbars? for Project manager and stuff when you fold them to the side, I find that rather annoying, because if I let my mouse stroll then those expand, having some sort of maximize / minimize button would be a lot better, and you could maybe group them all into the one sidebar, where you can expand and contract each of the sections. That would be the best option I think, also some sort of shortcut key to open this sidebar would be nice, because I like shortcuts and I'd rather not wait for it to expand out(which is also an unnecessary effect).

There needs to be an option to move the intellisense like in the default IDE it's at the bottom, because I find it quite annoying when editing multiple lines only to not be able to see the one below it due to the annoying yellow bar, and no I don't want to disable it.

Also I noticed what I assume is a very annoying bug, for example when I write the line "If Screen Width() = 1" and select a char within either 'Screen' or 'Width' and hit F1, or wonder where my intellisense is, I realise that it's only looking at the command "If".

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 09:20
Quote: "Also I noticed what I assume is a very annoying bug, for example when I write the line "If Screen Width() = 1" and select a char within either 'Screen' or 'Width' and hit F1, or wonder where my intellisense is, I realise that it's only looking at the command "If"."

I've noticed this too.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Nabil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 10:10
i am also for this expand-on-click feature.

there is a family life and such on the dark-side of basic? uh i knew i forgot something.

... real life - just the colordepth and resulution are higher.

Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 11:43
Quote: "Also I noticed what I assume is a very annoying bug, for example when I write the line "If Screen Width() = 1" and select a char within either 'Screen' or 'Width' and hit F1, or wonder where my intellisense is, I realise that it's only looking at the command "If"."

Yeah i got this too, its so annoying to have to delete the if or move the end of my code down a line just to see what my command does.

Also i pasted the DarkPhysics keywords file into it and it took a while to paste into it and scrolling up and down is REALLY slow.

Other than that, i'm happy

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 14:31 Edited at: 18th Mar 2007 15:01
Another bug report...

Trying to select 'editor preferences' when no project is open causes an access violation.

[edit]

Also, what's the difference between auto indent and smart tabs?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Smilodon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 01:41
Marking a part of a line which is so long, that the end ob the line above and below are not visible in the screen, is extremly hard.

If I doubleclick on "buildingNr" in code like this:

the comma after buildingNr is also marked. Which should not be.

(Auf Deutsch wär das alles einfacher )
Nabil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 00:19
to the above post. this is a general error.

dbl+click on a word marks anything to the next space, but should be corrected to mark to the next non number/letter. i have posted it before more detailed.
yes, its quite annoying, well i guess a lot of ppl are waiting to have those beta-errors fixed.

unfortunatly i dont see any progress made...

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 18:10
hyrichter,

Sign up for a free forum. This thread is getting way long. It would be cool to browse bugs at a glimpse. Just a suggestion.

In this way, we could see if bugs were under investigation, confirmed and fixed.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 14:35
One more annoyance, If I do a search in a file for something and I don't find it, I go to the next file and I expect to press F3 and it rerun the same check but instead I must manually go to Ctrl+F and search again as changing tabs seems to wipe the last search string, can you fix this?

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 17:23
Some feature requests:
Custom word break characters. eg, when you double click, you can choose which characters it stops at. At the moment its only spaces, tabs, and carriage returns.
Comment/Uncomment selection button Comments all selected text
Swap equation button For the selected text on each line, swap the text on each side of a specified symbol (default: '=')
list members of types when the user types a variable defined as a custom type, show all members in a little yellow box
Optional command line to be passed to the exe
#region/#endregion for when you have done function folding
Help button in editor preferences when you click on it, it shows the cursor with a ? next to it. Whatever you click on shows a full description of exactly what the option does. The cursor changes back when the user reclicks the help button

PS
This IDE is the best anyway, so these are just a few ways to make it even better!

Jack LOL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 14:37
I have a suggestion to upgrade CodeSurge:
In the original IDE When I scroll down with the mouse wheel it scroll the code up and puts it in the center which is more comfort to work on.

Can this function be added to CodeSurge?
Thanks.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 01:11 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 01:12
Whoops, got confused and posted in the wrong tab window. Please ignore this one.
--
TAZ

There is no I in TEAM, but there are three I's in MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 15:29 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 17:34
Hi Hyrichter:

Thanks for making this great piece of software available to the community. I have been using Codesurge for a couple of weeks now, and have a few bugs to report which, whilst not fatal, are niggles that frequently crop up for me.

Sorry if these have been mentioned already - there are 20 pages to this thread now, and it's difficult to track what has been covered. Given that Codesurge got a mention in this months newsletter, and will therefore probably be getting another surge of feedback, perhaps a bug forum would be a useful thing to have.

Keep up the great work - it's very much appreciated!

- selecting undo from the toolbar sometimes results in multiple operations being undone, on multiple lines, rather than just the last word which was added or edited. I haven't yet identified in what situations it does this, though.

-rightclicking within the main editing area causes the page to jump to a different position - around 70 lines downwards in my experience.

- the tooltips (by that I mean the boxes which appear with command parameters) only seem to appear when you are actually typing - it would be very useful if the tooltips would appear when the mouse is clicked on a command which has already been typed, for checking the syntax or editing the parameters of a command.

- the tooltip which appears sometimes gets in the way of typing - I think typing is disabled if the cursor and the tooltip occupy the same space. I have noticed this during rapid indenting of one line after the next - a tooltip appears and the spacekey press doen't register

- pressing f3 to access context sensitive command help seems to work sometimes and not at other times - frequently showing the main help menu rather than the help file for the command where the cursor is - I have found this particularly with third party commands like sparky's collision dll commands, where some of them work and others don't (they all seem to work in the defalt ide however).

- the underlining of equation brackets, whilst a very useful feature, leaves remnent underlining in incorrect positions when the equation is edited/deleted.

-when wordwrap is on, and the cursor is at the end of a line (ie. the line is full to the very end), it does not seem possible to add a space.

SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 05:34 Edited at: 6th Apr 2007 06:14
Hey Hyrichter,

I absolutely love this ide, but there is one HUGE problem thats keeping me from being able to use it over the defualt editor. It seems that I can only run a program once, and if I try to run it again it wont compile, meanwhile in the default editor Im able to run a program as many times as needed. This is a big problem with multiplayer game development, as I have to run multiple instances of my game to see if it works with 2+ players. Is there a current way to do this or is impossible with codesurge?

EDIT: Found the Run last Build option, its official, this IDE is absolutely awsome. Cheers.

Battle Legacy: Online Third Person Shooter
Look for it on the WIP Board!
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 15:11
I am using CodeSurge for my multiplayer too.

It's pretty easy to solve:
I usually open a window at my project folder. Every time CodeSurge compiles an exe, it will be created in this folder. To run it, i just doubleclick the compiled exe again instead of recompiling it in codesurge.
That way you can run as many as you want.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 16:09
Hey guys,
Sorry it's been so long since I replied. I do read every post in this thread and take it into consideration.

I'm getting close to realeasing a new update, probably tonight or tomorrow which should have a lot of the minor bugs and annoyances fixed, as well as a few more features. Unfortunately, it won't have function folding. I tried using the SynEdit component which someone else had modified to support function folding, but it was an older version of the one I'm using, and it caused a multitude of problems trying to get it to work. I'm going to have to somehow merge the two together to get it to work right, or just code my own function folding routines.

Quote: "
- the tooltips (by that I mean the boxes which appear with command parameters) only seem to appear when you are actually typing - it would be very useful if the tooltips would appear when the mouse is clicked on a command which has already been typed, for checking the syntax or editing the parameters of a command.
"

Just hit ctrl + shift + space to show a command's tooltip if it doesn't appear automatically. I'm working on a way to get it to show up if you hover the mouse over a command for a second or two.

Quote: "
-rightclicking within the main editing area causes the page to jump to a different position - around 70 lines downwards in my experience.
"

Yeah, that is odd. I wonder why no one pointed it out before, or I didn't notice it. I'll be getting it fixed.

As for the help, it seems to have troubles if the command you're searching for comes after an "if" statement.

As some of you have suggested, sometime in the very new future, I'll throw together a website for CodeSurge with a forum so you can bother me there.

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 18:05
Hi there,

today the standard IDE killed the work of many hours and now i use the CodeSurge IDE and must say that it's awesome !

btw. i'd put a link to the most recent version in the first post when you update

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 12:39
I found another bug with the intellisense if you have a line such as "Rotate Object Array(1,1,1)" then if you select the 3rd 1 in the array it will think you're on Y rotation variable.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 15:55
That right-clicking bug doesn't happen for me
Also, the help is F1 not F3 <not sure if you meant F1>

The biggest problem for me, is the help window. You can't set the address of it, and there is no up a folder button. Maybe opening it in a new IE window rather than in the custom one. (That would be the easiest)

Also, I mentioned what dark coder said back on about page 3, so I'm really looking forward to it getting it fixed

Anyway, I'm sure your working hard on it! And it IS the best IDE!

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
It would also be nice to have a search feature for the help file.

I have no signature...
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 20:42 Edited at: 11th Apr 2007 20:44
The context sensitive help bug with 'IF' statements isn't confined to 'IF's, I have encountered it a few other places as well. I will document my findings and get them back to you

BTW, your IDE is the only IDE I use anymore. Thanks to your IDE, I haven't lost a single line of code [yet]. Here is my current project that I am using CodeSurge on:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=103391&b=8

Cheers

Terrain Generation has a whole new face.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 23:25
@hyrichter
Looks like your getting some competition (OK, maybe not quite competition yet) as it looks like there is a Blue IDE 2 coming out...

Although I've never used Blue IDE

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 01:26
Sorry I haven't got the update ready quite yet. Things keep getting in the way, but I promise I HAVE been working on it.

I saw the BlueIDE thread, and I don't mind a little friendly competition. I even used BlueIDE for a while myself and it's really pretty good. I just didn't like the VB6 type interface. I wasn't too impressed with any other IDEs out there, and so I decided, what the heck, I'll see what happens if I pretend I know how to make an IDE and make my own. It all happened by accident, I promise.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 20:27
I prefer Codesurge over all other DBP IDEs.

The reason I say this is while I was writing the first version of WORLD, I lost code in both the standard IDE and BlueIDE. Codesurge is the only IDE that that hasn't eaten one tiny, winy, little bit of my code.

Cant wait for the update hyrichter!

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 22:12
Hyrichter - I think I found the problem with context sensitive help and IF statements. It has to do with more than just if statements, it appears to also effect things such as while or until. The commonality between them all is that they can have more than 1 keyword immediately following the next with nothing more than a space. In other words, most other context sensitive commands utilize a comma seperator, where as these commands follow eachother with a space.

Make sense?

Terrain Generation has a whole new face.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 13:50
Just adding my 2 cents...

CodeSurge has been the most stable and easy to install IDE with the best interface. I'm looking forward to the next version.

[center]
Game development made simple!
Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 14:29
I found a little bug in codesurge.
If you add an icon to a project and then open other projects the treeview seems not to delete the old icons sometimes.
It doesn't display the old icon, but the compiler tells me that he didn't find the old icon-file.
When closing the editor and open the project again, the icon appears in the list and i can delete it.
Except for this, it's a cool editor - i use it all the time

Lourg
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like the ability to collapse functions in my source code.

If any one has used scite for AUTOIT they understand what I'm talking about.

I feel this would make it easier to scroll through long lines of code.
Cave Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2007 19:29
I have a suggestion. Make it so that the user can save their commonly used functions in a side bar so that you can just double click to add it to other projects without having to type it up again.
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2007 09:49
Hey look, this is a Delphi thing... I program with Delphi a lot, so, well, cool, I suppose. Not really sure what to say, it's a great program!

http://www.ciphersoftware.co.uk/

Your signature has been deleted by a mod. It hasn't really, this is just me trying to sound funny. My attempts are pointless.
Zhent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 04:22
one more thing for you to look at if you have a chance. Not sure if you can fix it, or if its really a problem, but its irritating.

If you are typing in a comment and you type a buzzword [sorry, not sure what they are called, like for, if, not, and, or, etc.] then it displays the stuff for the command, as if you were typing it into your code. If it's possible to hide those boxes why you are typing a comment, that would be neat.

--
Zhent, coding newbie
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 00:26
Hi,

I'm using codesurge and have been for many months now, its so much better than the default IDE. It seems dead solid, and I haven't noticed any bugs really.

I would however really love to be able to fold functions. And also print source (or selections of.)

These are the 2 main features I miss from the default editor.

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 11:14
Quote: "These are the 2 main features I miss from the default editor."

You do realize function folding and editing code in the default IDE leads to loss of code :p.

And Hyrichter have you still not come across the issue when the IDE sometimes starts minimized? I get it sometimes and it's rather annoying. Also the error line reporting isn't exact, I'm not sure if this is an issue with the compiler but when comparing lines to the full source dump they are off in the editor; it's usually only a few lines after though.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 16:10
Hey everyone, I'm still alive.

I know I said I would have an update quite a while ago, but real life just keeps getting in the way. I have it mostly ready now, so I'm hoping that over the weekend I can finish off this next update and get it uploaded for you to try out.

I tried for several hours to figure out some function folding using a different version of the source control I'm using, but I couldn't get it to work properly yet. It's still on my list of things to do, but don't expect it real soon.

I've read all your comments, and taken them into consideration. I just can't always do everything everyone asks for.

@dark coder,
If you close CodeSurge when it's minimized, it'll start up minimized. Basically, it starts up with whatever form settings you closed it with. I understand that in one of the DBP updates, the line numbering problem with the compiler was supposed to be fixed. I haven't tested it to know for sure yet.

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 23:27
I am having a slight bug in the highlighter/F1 Help detector. You should be able to duplicate it by using the following line of code...

put the cursor over the "array index valid" and hit F1 for help - I get the help for WHILE.

Any idea's?

Btw: FAN-FRICKIN-TASTIC EDITOR!

[center]
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 23:44
@darkcoder
Lol, yes, I am painfully aware. Thats why I use codesurge

@hyrichter
Thanks for keeping us updated I really am impressed with the editor. Keep up the good work and good luck getting it all working

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 00:00
I get the error lines off slightly sometimes - but it happens in all IDE's.

I'm currently battling what I think is a compiler error which is complaining that a certain type in a certain function doesn't match the one in the aruments. I wouldn't mind - but I'm not calling the function in question with the type in question either...

[center]
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 04:42
I agree with dawlane, I right clicked on the CodeSurge.exe and when to properties/Campatibility/ and put a checkmark in the Disable Desktop Composition, all is speedy.

Your mod has been erased by a signature
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 16:53 Edited at: 13th May 2007 16:56
CodeSurge is definitly the best IDE there is, but is the error line reporting bug an IDE bug or a complier bug? If someone knows please tell, I MUST know.

If it's CodeSurge that's the problem then it must hate me because it kept changing the error line to 666.

"Once there was a polygon mesh who was very sad because he was only Gouraud shaded."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 18:57 Edited at: 14th May 2007 11:09
The error lines are usually 5 or so after where the actual error is, check your full source dump to see which line it's actually on.

[edit] Also Hyrichter, I think that the include files tabs should have the .dba stripped off them as it only wastes extra space for tabs as we know what the file extension will be.

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 18:45
I think I found one of the reasons for the line offset - its if you have any white space at the beginning or end of any included files...
@hyrichter - Does your IDE handle merging the files? If so - could you trim files before concatenating them?

[center]
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 19:09
The line bug is in the compiler and it should be fixed in the latest version of DBP.

The bug was caused whenever you put remarks within select nests like this:

[center]
Game development made simple!
Phrozin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 06:21
I started to read through this massive thread, but I just don't have that much time. So if this has been asked before I'm sorry. Is it possible to get the help file to open in a fly-out like the project manager? I hate having to move the help window all over the place so I can see my code.

Yes I know, been at this long enough that I should have remembered everything in the help files by now, but hey I guess I'm just dumb.

PS, aside from the intellisense not working for me I love this editor! Great work.

Joe

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 03:37:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 03:37:04