Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 09:20
I like the look of Codesurge but I find that I can't move away from BlueIDE until a 'Save on Compile' feature is implimented.
Using BlueIDE, it is great to know that your work is always saved with the most up-to-date code and you don't have to worry about constantly saving.

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 16:09
Erm I could make a installer if thats any help, I'm sure you could too by the look of things lol. It might be wrong for this though, dunno, just an option
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 16:55
Hi guys,

I'm trying to get an update ready today that will help speed things up with the bracket matching. I didn't realize it at first, but on a large project, the bracket matching code almost slows it down to a crawl. I've gone through the code and optimized it a bit so hopefully, your large projects won't suffer anymore. I just tried it on a 12k source file, and it's doing much better now.

Quote: "I like the look of Codesurge but I find that I can't move away from BlueIDE until a 'Save on Compile' feature is implimented. "

I'll see if I can get it in this next update within the next few hours.

Quote: "Erm I could make a installer if thats any help, I'm sure you could too by the look of things lol. It might be wrong for this though, dunno, just an option"

I don't really think we need an installer. After all, isn't it easier to just double click the CodeSurge icon and have it just run ?

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 18:07
Ok cool
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 21:42 Edited at: 15th Jan 2007 04:17
Ok, I'm here with another update.

The performance issues with bracket matching left something to be desired in the last version I posted, so I went through and reworked it to be much more efficient. I also made a few other small changes.

Here's the list of fixes, new features, etc:
Fixed speed issues with bracket matching.
Prompt user to save changes when opening a new project.
Save on compile option.
Fixed bug where intellisense settings weren't remembered.
Fixed the editor preferences form to show the first tab when loaded instead of the second.
Option to turn on/off bracket matching.

Try this out and see if it's any better performance wise. Thanks for all the comments so far.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 23:28
That's pretty neat. Tested it with the FPSC source and there were no notable lags. Good job! (and viva Delphi! )

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 00:24
Thanks, empty. If you say it's good, I guess it means I'm doing something right.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 01:40
Do you have to buy Delphi?

That's a random question, not really interested in finding it out.

-db

GameDeveloper, make your own games with a drag-and-drop interface. Basically t3dgm+fpsc editor combined.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=86045&b=8&p=2
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 02:28
Quote: "Do you have to buy Delphi?"

Not if you can get your employer to buy it for you. Otherwise, it is rather expensive, but very much worth it.

Actually, they've released a free version of Delphi called Turbo Delphi which you can get from http://www.turboexplorer.com. It's main limitation is that you can't use third party visual components. The massive amount of third party controls available is what makes Delphi so wonderfully awesome.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 04:20
Sorry for the double post guys, but if you downloaded before this post, you should download it again. I forgot to turn back on the runtime error checking in that last version I posted. I edited the download above, so if you see this message, you should get the correct download.

Just in case, this is the download you should get.

Surge on.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 05:31
I'll give it a go

-db

GameDeveloper, make your own games with a drag-and-drop interface. Basically t3dgm+fpsc editor combined.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=86045&b=8&p=2
vibe runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 12:22 Edited at: 15th Jan 2007 12:28
The program is amazing! Very well done.

Are you planning on working on a Status Bar that uses the editor INI files? I find that line in DBPro editor very useful, at least sometimes. Or is it possible to have the intelli thing (which I dislike, and turn off, I find it incredibly distracting) onto the status line?

Another request would be to put in a CODE CONTROL system. For a project you get to specify another directory. Whenever you initiate a save a new numbered incarnation gets saved in the folder. So I'm working on MYGAME.DBA, which keeps getting overwritten, and each time I save in my c:\emergency folder gets stored MYGAME.1 MYGAME.2 MYGAME.3, etc.

When late-stage of a big project it's nice to have copies of code, as you're moving and deleting and changing chunks. The ability to turn on/off a numerated version would be handy. You don't have to implement an "install from version x" feature, just having the code stored somewhere would be cool in case you want to revise code from several saves back. It's can also be handy to see the "progress" of code, for example if a bug creeps in somewhere you have a few versions to go back and test against.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
@hyrichter: Is 'word wrapping' implemented?

~Pulsar Coder
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 20:08 Edited at: 16th Jan 2007 20:09
Can I request a feature (if its not already there without me seeing it)...

Recent projects... Shouldn't be too hard to add should it?

One cool - and possible unique feature - could be a Project Library (like the iTunes or WinAmp library) which could background sync itself to your project folder(s). It'd scan for every .dbpro file and then list them for easy access - maybe extend it for images/sounds/sources too?

EDIT: Btw, you just replaced the default IDE for me.

[center]
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 15:41
Hi everyone, and thanks for your kind comments. They're much appreciated.

Quote: "Are you planning on working on a Status Bar that uses the editor INI files? I find that line in DBPro editor very useful, at least sometimes. Or is it possible to have the intelli thing (which I dislike, and turn off, I find it incredibly distracting) onto the status line?"

Yes, I'm planning on it. You may wish to set the delay on the intellisense to a little longer so that it's not always popping up in your face for commands you are already familiar with.

Quote: "Another request would be to put in a CODE CONTROL system."

I've been thinking of something along the lines that you are there. It'll probably work similar to how Delphi's source backup works, where it saves a copy in a history folder each time you save. (You can specify how many saves you want it to remember.) I agree that this would be very useful. The fact that Delphi has this feature has saved CodeSurge a few times from some very nasty mistakes.

Quote: "Is 'word wrapping' implemented?
"

Yes and no. The IDE actually supports it, but I forgot to give you an option to turn it on.

Quote: "Recent projects... Shouldn't be too hard to add should it?"

LOL, that's my highest priority right now, and yes, it's been requested several times.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 20:16
Latest update means bracket matching is lightning fast! Thanks
Could you have an option to colour a bracket green (or other colour) if it has no matching pair.
That way, when you compile a large project, and get a bracket missing, you don't have to compile it all again.(eg. You catch the mistake as soon as you write it)

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 23:59
Very nice

-db

thedubdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 06:39
Hyrichter,

Thanks for the update. You fixed the non-repeating key problem and the slow down issues. Please don't forget to have the editor remember the state "intellesense" in the editor preferences. I hate having to continually turn it off every time I launch codesurge. Thanks again for the good work.

Regards, Don Wile
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 09:20
In regards to the previous update, (This is probably just my computer) when openning a file, if I right click, the program simply stops working (Becomes un-responsive (says windows)). And I have to then close it through the task-manager.

Other than that, good work

-db

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 16:27
As for the code control system, would it make sense to just implement CVS or SVN functionality so users who want to can set up a server locally or remotely, and using proper revisions etc? Probably a bit harder for the user, but a lot easier on you and it's far more powerful

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 04:25
When I run it while MSN is running, my computer restarts... Any suggestions?

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 19:15
Quote: "When I run it while MSN is running, my computer restarts... Any suggestions?"

No idea. I've never had that problem, so I don't know what might be going on.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 01:22
I have comcast internet. And it only does that when compiling, but does not do that for the default DBP IDE. I love codesurge, but I really dont like my computer restarting in the middle of coding..

-db

PS: Do you want more information?
PS2: Also, my computer restarted 3 times, each of those times the only "identical" programs running were MSN, and codesurge.

thank you

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 01:51
Yes, I'd like more information. I can't imagine why it would do that.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 02:01
Alrighty then. (I probably have quite a bit of useless information, but still, if something helps)

I have downloaded your newest version of codesurge to my desktop, saved as "codesurge(2)" (The folder extracted to is called that)

I have changed the comment color to blue, and altered how syntax is highlighted

I have comcast cable internet

I have MSN version 7.5

I was speaking with either 1, or 2 people through MSN

My code in the codesurge IDE was under 800 lines (Not sure how many exactly)

Each time my computer restarted, the compiler, running under codesurge, was running

I am running on Windows XP Professional, Media Center Edition

My CD-Rom drives do not work (Course, I doubt that has anything to do with my computer restarting, lol)

I have 2 hard drives, C:\ 250GB, and D:\ 8GB.

My computer runs at a crappy 2.24GHz (I have not attempted to "overclock" it)

My computer has been "Windows Automatically Updated" maybe, a week before.

That should be all, not sure though.

Like I said, alot of useless information. The codesurge IDE was basically at it's default configuration, and I have MSN 7.5 (Probably the most usefull information out of there)

-db

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 02:46
Did it do it with previous versions of CodeSurge? Just curious, as I've been running MSN 7.5 with no problems. I would definitely like to get to the bottom of this problem.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 03:56
I didnt have MSN with previous versions of codesurge..

-db

thedubdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 07:25
Bug Report:

It is very useful to be able to highlight a command then hit F1 to get help information. This works great except if there are two commands in the same line. For example:

if FILE EXIST("victory.txt")

If you highlight FILE EXIST and hit F1 you get help on "if"....
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 13:33
Ahh,
I thought I had fixed that problem, but apparently not. Thanks for pointing it out so it can be fixed.

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 13:55
@hyrichter,

Will there be support for function folding in the future? I really miss that feature. I used it alot back in my AMOS days, and liked it when the original IDE for DBP used it. I'd like to see it in codesurge.

Keep up the good work, this is the most promissing IDE for DBP to date.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 14:20
Function folding would be cool. However one huge boggle at the moment is I can't get autocomplete, auto indent, or what ever it's called to work. Is this supposed to be intellesense?

Like in Blue IDE you can type do and hit enter and it will create a blank line next with the tab indexing right and put a loop command on the 3rd line. Then you can just add the stuff you want in the loop. It also works with all other types of closed loops and commands sech as if-endif, if-else-endif, select case-end select, case - endcse, for-next, and etc.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 15:33 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 15:35
I've got two errors with this version of the IDE. One of them is bad enough that I have to roll back to the previous version

1. The first error has been around for a while, I just haven't posted. I'm not sure if anyone else has, so I'll just go for it. When you have a command written out with the parameters, and you run the cursor to the right over the line with intellisense on and you run to the end of the line, the editor will give an error, and the Code Explorer won't work any more.

2. Whenever I paste something, the editor will freeze for a bit. I don't know why, it will flash at me a few times. The lengths of time vary. I frequently paste small bits of text, so I end up waiting around quite a bit, anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds. I posted this while I waited.

[Edit]
I went back to the editor, which had unfrozen. I pushed "End" to go to the end of the line which I'd just pasted, and it froze for over a minute

Thanks!!

Come see the WIP!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 15:40 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 15:46
Cash,
Are you sure you downloaded this version of CodeSurge? The one I posted right before that had terrible slowdown problems because of some inefficient code that does the bracket matching.

I'll definitely look into this and see what's going on. I haven't heard of the first error you mentioned either, so I'll see what's going on there.

Edit:
@LIT,
There isn't any autoindenting yet, but I plan to do something like BlueIDE does. The Delphi IDE does this perfectly, and I need to figure out a way to make it work that well in CodeSurge.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 15:48
I have none of Cash's bugs here

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 16:37 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 16:37
Here is a little bug when you start a new project in codesurge the main dba source doesn't show in the Project Explorer. You would have to save the project, close it and then open it to see the main source.

Working on Boxed for NVIDIA compo. Check it out

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 16:37 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 20:27
I have just found a 'show-stopper'

Steps:
Downloaded the latest version (Jan 14th)
Imported current project.
Executed the code, changed the code, executed again (several times) and things were looking OK.
Then opened the Project Manager and changed some options:
Project Name : Concentric
Executable Name : Concentric.exe
Full screen resolution 1280x1024x32
Window Resolution 1280x1024

Now whenever I attempt to compile I get the error above.

Edit I closed CodeSurge and re-opened. The error has gone but the Project manage reset the options I had for Window Resolution and Full Screen Resolution. Oddly, setting them back to 1280x1024 did not reproduce the error.

Edit 2 I have tried everything I could to reproduce this error but I just can't do it. Maybe it was a one off thing or perhaps it was something else I was doing at the time that I wasn't aware of.

Edit 3
As promised in a different thread, I downloaded CodeSurge and have been using it and trying to find anything that I don't like.
Here is a list, in no particular order, of the thins I would like to see in CodeSurge:

Intellisense - Once it is on it stays on. If you move the cursor with the arrow keys, the intellisense 'bubble' follows it.

Intellisense - Also needs to be in a status bar.

Intellisense - Status bar should also cover the parameters for user functions as well as known commands.

Help window - Remember the position and size last used. I use a twin monitor setup and like to have a full screen help window open on the second screen. It works until I close the help window. When I open it again it is full screen but on the same screen as codesurge covering my work.

Smart Tabs - What are they? I turned the option on and found that when I hit the tab key the cursor moved what seemed like a random amount of spaces. From 1 to what looks like 10.

Auto Indent - Type in the start of a loop, any loop (For/Do/While etc.) and hit return and the cursor should auto indent.

Auto Indent - When you close a loop (Endif/Next/Loop etc.) the closing statement should be automatically aligned with the opening statement.

Function folding - Would be nice to see it. I missed it when I moved to BlueIDE. I would love to have it back.

Error Reporting - I heard that CodeSurge always reported the correct line number for an error but that doesn't seem to be the case. The further down my code that an error occurs the farther out the report is.

Auto open - When you open CodeSurge it should automatically open the previously edited code - Not in any way essential but it's a nice feature of BlueIDE.

Line Selecting - Clicking in the Line number bar should highlight all of the line (Including Carriage return).

Unpinned Windows - This is a nice feature! I like having all of my window to use as a code writing area. However, when you open the 'Code Explorer' and click on a function name to jump to that area of code. If the function is longer than a page and you need to scroll down, you have to wait a second or two (feels like 10) for the code window to scroll out of the way of the scroll bar. It would be better if clicking in the code area closed the Code Explorer window. Same for the other unpinned windows too but Code Explorer is the main issue because it covers the scroll bar.

That's about it for now. Only a few of the issues I have found would give me cause to continue with BlueIDE, many of them are trivial. I think if Intellisense in a status bar was included and the tabbing issue on loops was added then I could happily get along without the other issues.

It is a fine piece of work hyrichter. I am not in any way trying to point out faults just for the sake of it. I'm just doing what you asked and finding things that I don't like.

Scraggle

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 20:58 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 21:04
I thought I would make a new post for his one because the previous one is getting large:

I just got this error:

I started a new project.
Entered a small amount of code

Saved the project.
Clicked on compile.

That produced the error. I got the error each time I tried to compile. So, I closed CodeSurge and opened it again but
when I tried to open my new code it wouldn't let me because it had only saved the .DBPRO file and no .dba file.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 21:22 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 21:28
Thanks for your suggestions, Scraggle. You have a lot of good points there.

As for the errors, those have me completely confused. I tried to reproduce both your errors, but couldn't get anything to happen. Just one quick question. Have you moved your DBP installation to a different folder? I'm wondering if it read the value from your registry, but it's incorrect there. You can see if it will help to click on File->Set DBPro Path and set it manually that way.

Edit:
Quote: "This is a nice feature! I like having all of my window to use as a code writing area. However, when you open the 'Code Explorer' and click on a function name to jump to that area of code. If the function is longer than a page and you need to scroll down, you have to wait a second or two (feels like 10) for the code window to scroll out of the way of the scroll bar. It would be better if clicking in the code area closed the Code Explorer window. Same for the other unpinned windows too but Code Explorer is the main issue because it covers the scroll bar."

Good point there, but a quick fix for now would be to just move the code explorer to the left side of the screen.

Edit 2:
Quote: "Error Reporting - I heard that CodeSurge always reported the correct line number for an error but that doesn't seem to be the case. The further down my code that an error occurs the farther out the report is."

Do you have any comments in select statements. That's the only thing I know of that throws the error reporting off, but I have seen evidence of other things doing it, too. As long as the compiler reports the correct line, CodeSurge will highlight it.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 21:46 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 22:17
I think you can ignore the errors.
I started getting random errors in other applications too. So I rebooted and now I can't replicate the errors in CodeSurge. So, I think it was just my machine playing up.

I do have comments inside select statements, so maybe that is the problem. I will delete them and let you know. Edit I deleted them and it seems fine now

Another problem I have found is that the option to turn off intellisense isn't saved. Turn it off, close codesurge, restart codesurge and intellisense is back on again.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 22:18
I got that I/O error 103 before, and it was because
Quote: "the system was running low on resources"

(I had just run a DBP program which created a large terrain, it froze and after using task manager, it did not free up the memory!)

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 22:50
Quote: "Another problem I have found is that the option to turn off intellisense isn't saved. Turn it off, close codesurge, restart codesurge and intellisense is back on again."

Odd, I thought I had that fixed. Just tried it on my computer and it remembers it. Maybe I fixed it after I uploaded the last version; not sure though.

Anyway, that makes me feel a little better about the errors, though.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Please, don't forget the wrap mode

~Pulsar Coder
sneaky smith12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 04:52
Wow! It's been about 6 months from last time I used DarkBasic. Loved CodeSurge then, and love it still. Great work man!

If at first you dont succeed, LOWER YOUR STANDARDS.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 05:00
@Hyrichter
Nope. Found out it wasnt codesurge... For some reason it's only certain programs which run while MSN is running.... Codesurge is just one of those. I'm gonna take my computer in `cause I have the warranty, so I can get codesurge on that one... It will be vista too so I can test it out real early for ya.

-db

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 01:28
This isn't a real issue but I was wondering if you could create a "REM" command that could enclose a large amout of text so as one wouldn't have to REM each line.

Unless that is an issue with the compiler?

Like it only takes one line at a time and if there is no REM at the beginning it thinks it is code.

Since I have around 40 years of experience programming and I'm new to this arena I guess I expect how things should work according to other IDEs I've used. I guess when I programmed in DOS, it was one line at a time.

As opposed to Highlander.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 01:33
Quote: "This isn't a real issue but I was wondering if you could create a "REM" command that could enclose a large amout of text so as one wouldn't have to REM each line."

You can use Remstart and Remend for that:

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
Hammaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Talking about new IDE functionality, I'd find it useful to be able to have an "option explicit" option within the IDE so that I am forced to define all the variables in the code. This would help to remove all the numerous errors where I've mistyped a variable name (e.g. missle_num instead of missile_num) and spend ages and ages trying to figure out why my code is doing odd things.

If this is too complicated, then an IDE with a full list of used variables would also be helpful to spot this type of error - I know there is a global list available within CodeSurge already and I assume (naively ) that this should be straightforward!!!!!

Also, has anyone out there written a good beginners tutorial to using CodeSurge to include standard re-usable source code stored in a different .dba file?
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 22:42
Here's one:
1. Right click on source files in project explorer
2. select add existing source file
3. open relevent source file
4. you've already done it!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 13:53 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 13:56
Hammaman's suggestion is something that BlueIDE 'almost' does. It doesn't force you to define all the variables in code (I think that is a compiler issue not an IDE one) but what it does do is:

If you have previously defined a variable as Global, Local or Dim then when you next type in the variable name, it will be capitalized correctly. So, for example, you declare:

Global MyVariable
When you later type myvariable the IDE will change it automatically to MyVariable.

I know it isn't exactly what you want but it is close and I find it to be a very useful feature of BlueIDE. If you (like me) declare all your variables at the start of your code then this instantly lets you know of any typo's in the variable names.
If hyrichter can impliment that in CodeSurge I will be very happy

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 13:58
Yes an Auto Fixup Variable Case option would be wicked cool. I find that having them all the same case makes it 100 times easier to spot typos.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 01:24:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 01:24:20