Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 19:33
That has NOTHING to do with the IDE, but it could be because of that Vsync thing, or it could be that you have set a higher resolution for fullscreen mode, and a lower one for windowed mode.

I think Vsync happens when you have fullscreen, and the computer updates vertically, rather than horizontally, although I'm not sure if its when you have fullscreen or when it's windowed

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
No the resolutions are the same and I'm only using the normal sync commands. I have no windows commands either.

set display mode 1024,768,32
sync on: sync rate 0

do

"commands here"

sync

loop

Just tried changing/resetting all the project manager stuff again and fps drops from 399 to 70 in full screen mode.
Could someone try running one of their own programs in "Windowed Full Screen" and then in "Full Screen" to see if its just my computer or my program?
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 04:22
As Diggsey said, that has nothing at all to do with the IDE. When you switch to full-screen mode, your FPS is capped at whatever your monitor refresh rate is.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
wschramm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 13:24
Great IDE, thank you for your work.

FEATURE REQUEST - Have the Code explorer show all functions in all source files in the project ( Loved this feature in the Original IDE)

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
You know I had read before about that (monitor refresh), I feel silly now.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 18:54
FEATURE REQUEST:
When you select something, it would be good if you could do this:
tools >> highlight >> [one of the following]

Comment
Identifier
Keyword
Number
String
Symbol
Scheme 1
Scheme 2
Scheme 3

Each of those have a set highlighting setting in editor preferences.

Also when you choose a word to be highlighted, it asks if you want it highlighted in all projects, or only the current one. (it could save it in the dbpro file)
If you change the settings for a scheme, then all words previously set using that scheme would be highlighted with the new colours.

In short, custom syntax highlighting without going into the .ini files.

This would mean that you wouldn't have to work on highlighting the new words, we could do it ourselves if we wanted to. It would also allow us to highlight significant function names, constants, arrays, etc.

Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 19:18 Edited at: 15th Dec 2006 19:23
lol i leave the forums for a couple of months and your ide has another 500 posts. Anyway I was serously considering to buy Synergy untill i remembered codesurge congrats you saved me a tenner

All bow down to evil
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 23:00 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 23:02
@jharbour
It's a real shame that TGC hasn't fixed those small bugs yet. This thread got deleted for no apparent reason, it's about the default IDE:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=91662&b=1

I've asked if it was anything I said that got it deleted, in this thread. Though this thread got locked.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=90488&b=2&p=0

The only thing I wrote that could have possibly been percieved as breaking the AUP was that I suggested TGC decompile the default IDE code (if that's legal, of course) and fix the bugs. I wan't trying to sound like a hacker, I'm just concered for the quality of the software.

Cave Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 16:06
I've got a suggestion. Make it so the user can enter his commonly used functions and have a list so you can just double click to add them in.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2006 17:07
Hi,

CodeSurge is the default editor here also, good work!

Cheers
Humanoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2006 17:37 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2006 17:41
FEATURE REQUEST:

+add
compile menu checkbox when compile and run, save first
(hate everytime when compile not process newest lines, if not saved, why not compile and run make 'temp file' all code, even if not saved)

+add
auto open all include files

Suomi Finland PERKELE!
<AMD athlon 64 3000+> <Asus A8N-E nForce4 ultra> <GF6600LE PCI-E> <1GB ram>
Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
There's a menu function that says open all the source files if you look

All bow down to evil
Humanoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2006 13:06
i know, but hate use that everytime when open project

Suomi Finland PERKELE!
<AMD athlon 64 3000+> <Asus A8N-E nForce4 ultra> <GF6600LE PCI-E> <1GB ram>
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 09:03
Hi,

Just wanted to say Ive been using code surge for about a month now, and its my first time sticking with an IDE outside of the default one.
You really have something here, and if theres anything I can do (No matter how small), dont hesitate to ask. Cheers.

Back by unpopular demand!
Battle Legacy has gone MMORPG! Nah, Im just kidding. But seriously, check the WIP

nnndohh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 13:53
i like to see a rgb color picker when i click my right mouse button.

like in the original dark basic ide
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 21:28 Edited at: 31st Dec 2006 23:12
Could you add support to change colors of different types of comments?

So if I use ` or // (thats nifty) it could be gray, while using REM would be in red. Cause I like to use one method for simple comments and another for documentation. (like for functions and stuff)

In this little example, 'AS' does not highlight.

stop as integer
color as byte

Only certain words preceeding AS seem to affect it.

And I can't get #constant to highlight, even though I added it to the keywords file.

THEN doesn't highlight either.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 07:42 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2007 07:45
UPDATE TIME!

Well, here it is after Christmas, and I'm here with another update. It's not a lot, but I figured you should have it. Here's a list of things I remembered doing to it:

Edit->Select All works now
Selected text is put into the fine/replace dialog when you do a search
Bracket matching! Please try and let me know how well it works on a large project.
Ability to turn off syntax highlighting (for those using screen reading software.)
Fixed problem of the dockable windows not reappearing with the view->window command after they've been closed.
Added version information to the project manager so you can put all your cool company info, etc. in your final exe.
Added RGB color picker dialog. The keyboard shortcut is ctrl + i.
Added option for enabling/disabling the function parameter tooltip.
Added option to set the delay for the function tooltip
#constant and #gloabl now highlight
Then is now always highlighted, whether or not it happens to be in your keywords file. It seems that TGC have a bad habit of erasing it from the keywords file.

Known problems(off the top of my head):
Undo doesn't quite work right with the RGB color picker.
AS doesn't highlight properly sometimes. This is actually a very complex issue with the highlighting code. I can't tell you how many headaches DBP's multiple word keyword syntax has given me for highlighting.
Some people seem to not be getting their latest code compiled if they don't save first. I still don't know why.

I'm so close to a version 1.0 I can almost smell it. I'm hoping the next update, I'll have all the features I want for 1.0, you guys test it, and then I'll post it over in program announcements.

Next update features:
CODE COMPLETION! It's almost there, just needs a little more work.
Fix known problems the best I can.
Printing support
Specify commandline parameters when you run your .exe so you can easily test if they work correctly.
A few more toolbar buttons for things like opening all files, etc.

@Phaelax,
Hmmm, I suppose I could if I have to. I just don't like looking at the highlighting code any more than is absolutely necessary. Just for kicks, I'll post the main part of the highlighter code here:

It looks like the problem with "as" not always highlighting is if your variable is also part of a keyword. Try these examples:
abc as integer (yes)
x as integer (no)
make as integer (no)
limb as integer (no)
foo as string (yes)

Of course, the thing to do now is figure out how to fix it.

Before I ramble on any longer, here is the update. Try it and let me know if I broke anything. Hopefully, the next update won't be such a long wait.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The CodeSmith
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice update, but as I think someone said before, the drop down menus load REALLY slow under Vista, but unless you have Vista I'm not sure how much you can do.

I'm not who you think...
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 08:25
Quote: "I just don't like looking at the highlighting code any more than is absolutely necessary"

I don't blame you, I got my own highlighter in Java so I know all about the headaches.

Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 12:56 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 12:57
Yay another update for my favourite thing about dark basic pro, printing support should be good for the next update.

All bow down to evil
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 15:23
Thanks for the update Hyrichter!

Cheers.

Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 00:26
Hyrichter:

thanks for the added screen reader support on a few of the features!

I'll be getting latest and testing it out some too.

thanks again.

Regards,
Frekster
I'm blind but... who really needs to see to program? Isn't it all just text anyhow?
Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 00:34
to Hyrichter:

is the latest version of the file created:

Created: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 7:42:47 PM

I downloaded the .exe file from page one of this thread.

When I run it, I cannot open the preferences dialog.

The main screen appears and I press alt+o then p for preferences and the preferences dialog never opens.

I exited and deleted the .ini files in case there was a conflict from the old version and restarted it. Got error file not found, got past it to the main screen, but it still will not open the preferences.

any ideas?

thanks!

Regards,
Frekster
I'm blind but... who really needs to see to program? Isn't it all just text anyhow?
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 01:28
Frekster,
The created date probably means when you first downloaded it. I have the created date as May 6, 2006, and the last modified is January 2, 2007. In the help->about box, it should say version 0.9 build 3.

I'm not sure where you got alt+o from. The keyboard shortcuts to the editor preferences would be alt+e and then e. (Edit menu, editor preferences.)

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure that you accidentally downloaded the very first version I uploaded, so it's waaay out of date and not very functional. I edited the first of my first post with a link to the newest download, but if you click the "download" button at the bottom of that post, you'll get the oldest version.

This link will give you the newest version.

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 05:09
Awesome Job Hyrichter I use this IDE all the time now.

Working on Boxed for NVIDIA compo. Check it out

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 11:50
Quote: "Awesome Job Hyrichter I use this IDE all the time now."

Me too...

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 23:30 Edited at: 5th Jan 2007 23:35
Woo! Another update to my favorite IDE!

[edit]
I have some suggestions, if you don't mind..

When the cursor goes over a command, it should show the parameters, like it does when you are typing it.

Good job though! This has got to be the best IDE ever!

[/edit]

GameDeveloper, make your own games with a drag-and-drop interface. Basically t3dgm+fpsc editor combined.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=86045&b=8&p=2
Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 03:35
to hyrichter:

yeah, I had the first version - must have d/l from the wrong link.

thanks.

btw I still have this really odd situation.

I open a file, code in it, alt+tab to another applicaiton, and then when I alt+tab back to code surge focus is no longer on the document I was working within. I am placed in the project explorer.

Now this may be a screen reader quark, not certain, but I cannot double click on the file to get back in it to continue coding. I have to tinker around a bit to try to find the document I was previously working in and luckily click in it to pull focus back to it.

Is there a way you can let me control+tab through the project explorer and include it in the control+tab index?

I.E control+tab through open documents and include the project explorer in that control+tab sequence?

that way when I alt+tab back to code surge I can control+tab to the doc I was last in and leave the project explorer.

Regards,
Frekster
valleyman86
Years of Service
User Offline
ok heres a bad ass idea I came up with. Almost want to make my own ide to take credit for it lol. If you add this you will be god maybe. JK. Anyways the idea is that there is a hot key if pressed will go to the next argument automatically.

For Ex:
I create a function MyFunc(arg1, arg2, arg3)

When I want to use the function i must type all arguments and commas and whatnot but what if I pressed a hot key so it auto commas and spaces to next argument. If the argument already exist then it highlights everything (except the comma) so that you can easily just start typing to change it. This could also be used when creating the function. If it happens to be the last argument then if u press the key again it goes to the first and makes the parentheses at the end.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 08:28
Thats a good idea valleyman86! It almost makes me want to make my own IDE too! Wait a second, I do want to make my own IDE, I just don't know how to do the syntax highlighting... *sobs*

Oh, what about function folding? (Hide a certain portion of code from view)

Like for

case endcase
select endselect
if endif
do loop
while endwhile
repeat until
function endfunction
for next
etc...

That would be awsome!

-db

GameDeveloper, make your own games with a drag-and-drop interface. Basically t3dgm+fpsc editor combined.
valleyman86
Years of Service
User Offline
syntax highlighting is not to bad. Use regular grammar+some regular expressions using something like yacc and lex. But you have to find some text box that supports huge amounts of data or make your own. I guess if you do not know what regular grammar is, it could be hard.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 05:23
Well, I know how, I just dont know the commands. Ive never really looked into it though.

thedubdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 18:02
BUG REPORT:

When you hold down a keyboard key the letter should repeat as the key is held down. The repeated letter only shows when the keyboard key is released.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 18:57
@thedubdude:

Hmm, I just tried, and when I hold down a key the letter repeats just fine. No problems here.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 19:33
Thanks everyone for the comments.

@Frekster,
I'l try to figure out something for that. Most of the problems with focusing being wrong when alt+tabbing is the Windows MDI system. I've been fighting it since day 1 with this project. I understand what you mean, and I'll try to get some more keyboard shortcuts in the next version.

@valleyman86,
Interesting idea, but isn't it easier to just hit the comma key when you need to go to the next argument? Say you had a function that takes 4 parameters and you call it in your code:
Myvar=myfunction(a,b,c,d)
I would assume that would be easier than typing:
Myva=myfunction(a[hotkey]b[hotkey]c[hotkey]d)
Maybe I'm just missing something here, but that's what it seems like. Let the comma be your hotkey.

Quote: "When the cursor goes over a command, it should show the parameters, like it does when you are typing it."

Nice idea, but some people might be annoyed by it if there wasn't an option to turn it off or change the delay before it shows up. You can hit ctrl+shift+space to make the parameter tooltip thingy appear if it doesn't do it automatically.

Quote: "syntax highlighting is not to bad."

LOL! Just ask ANYONE who has tried it with DBPs style of keywords, and I think you'll get a different response. See my last post where I actually posted the main syntax highlighting code and tell me how easy that looks? Not only does it have to highlight these cursed multi-word keywords properly, but it also has to be fast at doing it too. I spent probably 2 months on syntax highlighting alone trying to get it perfected, and there are STILL a couple of minor bugs with it.

Quote: "When you hold down a keyboard key the letter should repeat as the key is held down. The repeated letter only shows when the keyboard key is released."

Doesn't do it here. I'd check your Windows keyboard settings and video card drivers if I were you. Does it do this in other text boxes?

Oh, and about function folding, it's a nice idea in theory, but truth is, I've never personally used it in any IDE I've used. Maybe someday it'll be there, but I feel like I have more important things to address first. It's certainly on my mind, but I just haven't devised a good way to implement it yet.

Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 22:30
to hyrichter:

glad to see that you were able to reproduce/aware of the issue I reported with focus not returning to the document when alt+tab/back.

What about using a global variable, or the same idea in delphi, to hold the index of the mdi document that currently has focus. Then when you alt+tab away to another application, and then alt+tab back to code surge, in the "Got Focus" event or some such event test to see what the global index is set at and just set focus to that document in the "Got Focus" or whatever event is used in delphi.

Not sure if that would work or not.

If no documents are open, then set the global to 0 or -1 to indicate no document is open with focus.

Just a thought as a possible quick fix.

Regards,
Frekster
Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 22:32
to hyrichter:

Another simple fix for the "lost focus" issue is if you double click on a file in the project explorer that is already open just set focus to that document. Not sure if that is an option or not since I don't know what is going on when you double click on a file that is already open.

At least on my end it seems that when you alt+tab away to another app, then alt+tab back to code surge focus is always on the project explorer.

Regards,
Frekster
valleyman86
Years of Service
User Offline
im talking about more like when editing a command that has its arguments filled in. When you want to edit it as is now you must highlight and delete the old value. What if there is a hotkey (something+tab) that auto highlights the next value in the arguments. Now i am sure syntax highlighting can be difficult if done a given way but it can be easily done with the right tools. I just took a programming languages course (computer science major btw) and we did learn how this can be done right. Lex is a regular expression library or rather a Lexical Analyzer Generator for c++ and yacc is a compiler compiler (hences "yet another compiler-compiler". If you write the grammar using yacc and the key word expressions in lex then it will return data (whatever you set) which is probably flags that say highlight this token. If you code all the syntax highlighting in c++ straight up I can see that being very time consuming. I just recently wrote an application that involved parsing data from html pages and that was all done manually and that was harder than it should have been if I would have used regular expressions. btw lex and yacc are very fast. I don't think they could have been written much faster. But anyways I am using you editor and it does kick ass. There is no RIGHT way to program anything...do it how you wish. Im not going to stop using a program because I did not program it. Please do not take my comments as me telling you how you should do something. I hate when people tell me how I should do it (have a good friend who does this lol) and besides I love your app. Btw just curious what widget library you are using and what language? I noticed a wierd bug in vista. The drop down menus go super slow.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
This really is an awesome project - congrats hyrichter!

One question though: does anyone miss a "Recent Projects/Files" too or am just a bit strange?

I have vague plans for World Domination
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 23:14
Thanks for the update
I will download as soon as I can!

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Two bugs i found were that brackets ie () take a long time to write and also a bug where sometimes the writing cursor thing becomes black and thick

The admiral
thedubdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 06:01
I don't get it CodeSurge is the only program where holding a key down doesn't cause the letter to show repeating while the key is held donw. Text boxes, work as well as this boxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. This is new to the latest release of CodeSurge. Other problems I've noticed to this release are very long delays between when I start typing a command to when the command shows on the line (several seconds at times). Also, the state of "intellesense" is not remembered between sessions (I like it off and it isn't remembered when I re-launch CodeSurge). Finally, about 90% of the time when I click on the COPY command (after a right click) the command is recognized but the menue doesn't close).

Regards, Don
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 06:31
I don't know why the letters don't repeat for you, because they do it here just fine. Maybe there was some hotkey or something that you accidentally pressed (I don't even remember all the hotkeys) You could try deleting the cssettings.ini file and see if that fixes it.

As for the long delays, I think there's a problem with the bracket matching code that's slowing things down. I'll see if I can figure out where the slowdown is occuring and get it fixed. I'll also get the intellisense to remember its state.

As for the right-click menu not disappearing when you click copy, I don't know what's causing that, as it seems to work fine here. Maybe others can comment on this and let me know if they've had problems with it.

Quote: "One question though: does anyone miss a "Recent Projects/Files" too or am just a bit strange? "

You're not strange for missing it. I definitely want to get it in there soon.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 07:16
No problems here. Everything works fine.

Maybe, the problem with the slowness is just a big source file.

-db

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 07:24
Quote: "
Maybe, the problem with the slowness is just a big source file."

In my mind, that's still a problem. Something with the bracket matching code is definitely slowing things down. I just tried it on a 12000 line source file, and it's acting rather sluggish. There's really no excuse for that either, as bracket matching should be a less processor intensive task than showing you function parameters.

thedubdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 07:57
Ah haa....thats problem. My source code is very large (30K lines). I'm not having problems with small source code. The key repeat works fine and there is no delay with typing or brackets.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 17:50 Edited at: 11th Jan 2007 17:54
@the admiral

Are you sure you didn't press insert by accident? I sometimes do this, and it makes the cursor black, and it covers the letter.

@hyrichter
I now finally have time to download it!

edit:
also, a small bug which was current in the previous version, is that it starts up minimized

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
That could be possible ill be more careful heh

The admiral
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 00:44
Have you tried testing the operation from the current line, then down? I dont what algorithm you are using for checking, but I imagine it might be slowing the bracket checking down.

Anyways, I noticed several features not implemented, that would be nice:
1) There is no way to turn on, or off bracket checking.
2) There is no way to turn on, or off function checking.
3) There is no template system (Very nice for special projects).
4) There is no function-folding, etc
5) A way to view media, through special media files. Like with (I think with) DBC's default editor. That would be really nice, because sometimes you forget which grass texture is which (grass385.bmp, grass971.jpg, grass19.bmp, etc).
6) Editor plugins, for others to add-on to the editor with, toolbars, and other stuff. Which can be a very nice feature.

Those would, without a doubt, make this editor, the best ever!

-db

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 17:43 Edited at: 12th Jan 2007 17:44
I have noticed a bug to do with brackets.
Write some brackets, continue typing along the line, and then click next to one of the brackets so that it makes the pair of brackets bold. Then, scroll to the right until the bold bracket has gone off the left side of the screen.

The bold bracket goes over the top of the gutter. An image of the bracket is left on the gutter, and you can only get rid of it, by scrolling up or down until you have scrolled past that line.

I could only get it to do this if I alt+tabbed to a different window and back

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 05:20:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 05:20:53