Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Text Adventure Competition!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 04:04 Edited at: 7th Jun 2006 04:06
WOOT! OH YEAH! just erased two lines of code and my .EXE got from 4,58 mb to 1,21 mb. I think that I can have a parser system with a more longer story and a longer adventure.

EDIT: I have a tip for you guys. I think lot of people know that, but I didn't so... here is my tip: do not use the color backdrop command. It add like 3mb to your exe. I don't know why I used that because it is already black, but I did.

Windows XP,pentium IV, 3.0 MGZ, 1024 mb memory, 256 mb ATI Radeon PCIE X700 Pro 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 04:13
Quote: "BTW is there any specifc theme? I mean is it just fantasy or is Sc-Fi reality allowed?"

There is no specific theme for this contest... You can base it in any world or time period or fantasy universe that your heart contents

Quote: "Can this be a team effort or solo only? (obviously the software prizes would just be for one person but that would be up to the team on how to share)."

Only one person can register the game into the contest. Whoever sends it in will get the prize, but I don't see any particular reason why you couldn't include your friends.

Quote: "can we get additional points for the complexity and functionality of our parses?"

The technical score is based on how complex and well-designed your source is. A "hardcore" parser will out-score a simpler parser. But I can't stress enough how important the writing is... it makes up the bulk of a score (not that I'm doubting your abilities in any way, I just wanted to bring that up again).

I'm at a loss as to why so many people are using up so much memory for their games. I'm using DBP and I never have much of a problem with file sizes. When I made my last text adventure, the game came out to be 10 MB in size with 3,000 lines of code, a Gustav Holst song in MP3 format, and 8 bitmaps, without using 3rd party compression, so I figured 5mb would be ample space. Are any other DBP users experiencing this problem?

Quote: "you said no media, what about background music that just loops to remove the boring noises of keys on a keyboard typing. "

You can use 2D media and music, but this media WILL NOT effect your score in anyway. Using it will not improve/ increase your score or decrease/ diminish it in any way. Merranvo already pointed that out, but I felt like echoing it for no particular reason

"In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe"
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 04:30
Quote: "The technical score is based on how complex and well-designed your source is. A "hardcore" parser will out-score a simpler parser. But I can't stress enough how important the writing is... it makes up the bulk of a score (not that I'm doubting your abilities in any way, I just wanted to bring that up again)."

Cool! So I can waste more time advancing features to the point of insanity.

But you skipped the really important question... can we use stats?

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 07:52
Quote: "Cool! So I can waste more time advancing features to the point of insanity."

Ok guys thats it, go home, we're through

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 10:55
Go here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_adventure_game
That will explain what a text adventure is!

Can we use the include# command? So we can have more than one .dba file?

When in Trouble with anything visit here your number one stop for help
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 13:54
No statas. Text adventure and text rpg ARE NOT THE SAME. YOu said that it doesnt matter as its text, ok so, if i would made a quiz would it be ok as it is text only. No it wouldnt. So its not ok to use stats also. Matt can you make a ruling on this?
Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 14:13
I haven't started my adventure yet, damn June exams!!

Current Project - Jono's Maze(Open Source, 3d maze shooter)
Progress Of Project - 0.5%
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 16:38
Thanks Tinkergirl and sett, that's reassuring.

I've noticed something that has dropped my file size dramatically - in the EXE settings, if you choose EXE with attached media, and select the compress checkbox, it helps. Even if you don't have any media in it, it seems to compress the dlls aswell.

I've now shot down to 1.96 megs using this method - no worries now
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 17:53
@Mirthin:
Quote: "Files may not be larger than 5mb in size, including any and all media used and the executable files combined. Using winzip or some other compression system to pack more media into an entry is prohibited and will result in the entry being void upon receival."

He still hasn't fully answered on self extractors... he did say 'compression would defeat the purpose of the 5mb rule'

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 18:34
Quote: "If you package the media in with your EXE, that's fine, but you can't use any third-party compression tool like Winzip or Winrar. The judges will NOT decompress/ unzip your stuff."

I think that includes a winzip self extracting EXE. Even though a winzip EXE can decompress itself and then run the program automatically, it's still using winzip, technically.
Italy Portugal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 22:29
Oh, I'm going to join, but due to problems I am having, I am writing it with DB Classic,
port it over soon...

For those having trouble with stories, Sometimes the story has to just flow as you write the code.

Professor: "There is no such thing as absolute truth"
Student: "Is that always true?" "...Well..."
(c)HookWare Games (c) Italy Portugal
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 01:41 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 01:43
Quote: "No statas. Text adventure and text rpg ARE NOT THE SAME. YOu said that it doesnt matter as its text, ok so, if i would made a quiz would it be ok as it is text only. No it wouldnt. So its not ok to use stats also. Matt can you make a ruling on this? "

I dont know why things are becoming so technical all of a sudden.. The point of this whole competition is to further your storytelling skills aswell as your coding skills.. By writing either a Text RPG or a Text Adventure, you're doing that.. Therefore i dont think it should really matter too much which one you decide to pursue.

Obviously your quiz game doesnt work because it has absolutely nothing to do with storytelling.. So the basis of your comparisson is very very wrong.

Also on a side note, i never said ASLONG as it's text it's ok.. I said as long as it's text and you have options you can use.. obviously with a storyline involved.. It should be acceptable.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 10:04
In a text adventure you have to use your writing skills to set the scene, that's not usually how it's done in text RPG's. One major difference is the map location system, most people will use linked rooms to map the game world, like West is room 25, East is room 27, RPG's would be more likely to use an array of rooms, like areas of woodland and stuff because with moving enemies that's the easiest system to adopt. I think people are concearned that they'll get a screen of stats instead of half a page of room description to read. But the thing is, how many of us will be using item weights?, like the anvil weight might be 100, while the key weight might be 1, so you might only be able to carry 90 weight in total, that's a stat, you'd never see it, but I imagine it'll be evident in a lot of these games. Whatever provides realism is fine, being able to carry 90 keys and no anvils is perfect realism .

Really stat's are not the issue, because I'll show you a text adventure with a day-night cycle if you want, plus stats, plus a shop to buy ingredients for spells... Really I think the important factor here is that you describe the scene in good detail, then through a parser or multiple choices you adventure, anything more than that, like stat's or even turn based combat should be fine as long as you still have the detailed location and item descriptions.

Really, you could have your stat's invisible, like in real life - there's no rule saying you can't use stats or turn based combat, there's no rule saying if you use them they have to be obvious. Why not add them, but then make their interface more elaborate. Like if you found a sleeping Orc, you might check how much items your carrying, then use that as a factor in deciding if you can sneak past without being heard - or if you attack then you have an advantage, like the Orc missing their turn because they were sleeping. You could even have a narrow guage parser for combat, like when your fighting your command set is cut down to run, attack, defend, cast spell - whatever, but use descriptive stat's. Back in the day, these were just called Adventures, the term RPG came later.

Those choose your own adventure books could go either way, anyone remember them? - you had simple choose which page next varieties, real simple, but you also had RPG's too, the most famous adventures, like Deathtrap Dungeon by Ian Livingston had RPG elements. If a book can get away with it (and moreover become so famous), then why not a text adventure .

Personally I love text adventures with movable characters in them, like Gandalf and Thorin in The Hobbit, add's a whole other dimension when people can wander about, whether they're plot characters, spawned enemies or whatever, I intend to have at least one freak running around the place causing mischief.

Aegrescit medendo
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 10:57
Quote: "Those choose your own adventure books could go either way, anyone remember them? "

I have almost got the entire series! I love them and they are the perfect example of a Text Adventure Game! Personally I don't think I will add stats. But what Van B said about invisible stats has given me an idea...

When in Trouble with anything visit here your number one stop for help
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 16:27
I am techinacal as this is a Text adventrue competition and not an story-telling or an text rpg comptetiotion.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 17:09
The line is as fine as you want to stretch it.

Really, I think Matt is going by retro style text adventures, like the Zork series, Hitchhikers guide, Magic Scrolls series etc etc, basically describe the location, list the exits and items, then let the player enter commands and act upon them.

Nobody cares about the internals, the externals are what are important. Heck, when reviewing a book people don't comment on the quality of ink used, or the way the pages are bound together. The internal workings are upto us, as is pretty much everything!.

Text adventure is a style of game, stats are used in pretty much every one of them, we just don't see them. We could argue that the most notable difference is that a text RPG would show the stats - is that really what is concearning us right now?, surely we've gotten past this!.

Aegrescit medendo
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 19:03
Quote: " when reviewing a book people don't comment on the quality of ink used, or the way the pages are bound together. The internal workings are upto us, as is pretty much everything!."

It really depends, a recently bought book has a slight protective layer over the pages. The problem is that the ink is on this layer so when reading, the ink smears. (either that or they use too much ink).

But the thing is that choices you make on the internals bleed out into the external output. If you implement stats you have to alert the plr of them. Or if you use a text parser, the plr will expect to allways be text parsing, a suddent use of manual choice is different then what was expected.

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, we have more fun!
Mr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 20:39 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 20:40
OMG! Does Matt Rock like Radiohead - Airbag!!?? RADIOHEAD ARE AWESOME :0

Woo!! Good luck folks.

Life, the Universe and Everything
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:58
Quote: "Those choose your own adventure books could go either way, anyone remember them?"

Lol, yes! I have a bunch, but they're so old I can barly read them anymore. My game will be like those. I need to read them again to get ideas. They got annoying when you read the same page 10 times, so thats what I want to fix, I want to add a bunch more, so you hardly have to read the same page twice.
-Sunflash

Dream And Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 22:05
To Matt Rock!

Please, please, please can you make a ruling on the stats issue.

This thread is obviously tying itself in knots about it!

{I'm personally in favour of stats, but I can see the other side too. Back in the days of the Spectrum, I played both types and think they are both fantastic - or really poor depending on the writing!)

I'm just finishing my parser, so I need to know if stats are ok, as I'll need to code that next, or carry on with the story.

[And about the .exe size in DBPro, if you have used any 3D commands, including backdrop, DBPro has to include the 3D dll. If you go into options when you are building your .exe you can knock out other common ones that you may not be using - hope this helps!]
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 01:30
I'm sorry about taking so long to get back to everyone about the stats but I wanted to discuss it with the other judges before making an official ruling on it, We argued over this for a while, and with that out of the way, here we go:

Stats can be used so long as they are not cumbersome, IE, the player shouldn't be required to physically manipulate these statistics, and the player should not need to visit an alternative screen to view them. We don't mind if you use stats for money, health, item tracking, etc., but having RPG-like statistics for stamina, charisma, intelligence, and things of that nature is un-acceptable because that would, for the most part, make this more of an RPG than a text adventure. I'm glad that Van brought up the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, because that's precisely what we're talking about when discussing text adventures... you read a descriptive unit of text that explains where you are, what you see, and what choices you can make, and then you make your decision, which leads you to another screen of similar content. We don't have a problem with the player being attacked by (or attacking) a dragon, alien, etc., but you should do your best to keep it simple and to-the-point; we shouldn't need to figure out the character's stamina versus the strength of the weapon versus the armor of the opponent versus the health said opponent has, as this would pretty much constitute an RPG (and would be really, really time-consuming for us to judge in terms of the technical aspect of the scoring). But walking into a town and buying a health potion, and requiring gold coins or some other form of currency, that would be fine. I hope this clarified the statistics issue and if I didn't word this properly, please let me know and I'll do my best to further explain it.

That being said, we are discussing the possibility of holding a text-RPG contest at some point in the future, probably this fall, but I can't say for sure if we're going to definitely do it, nor can I confirm if it would be an official TGC contest, because we haven't even brought this up with Rich or even decided definitively if we'd offer the contest or not... it's just something we've mentioned in passing. But if enough people show interest in it then we might have one in October or November... it all depends on how busy we are, I think. I just thought I'd mention that in case anyone was wondering if we might do a contest like that in the future.

About compression: If you're using a compiler that can compress the data in with the EXE then I don't really see a problem with it. When I was talking about compression before, I was talking about the judges needing to physically open winzip or some other compression tool and having to extract the information ourselves... as you can imagine, if we allowed everyone to use compression like that then we'd be spending a lot of time de-compressing files as opposed to getting down to the "nitty-gritty" tasks of actually judging them. If your compiler can compress the data (like DBC/ DBP does) then feel free to use it, but you cannot use winzip or any other third-party compression tools.

@ Mr Crazy: Yes, I'm a pretty hardcore Radiohead fan (my avatar is the Radiohead angry bear and my siggy is a line from the song Airbag) but I'm not allowed to talk about them much more than that or people will get angry with me

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 08:26
I'm going to skip out on this one and wait till the text 'rpg' comes then, i'm definately interested in seeing what people come up with for this one too though.

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 14:50
I'm entering . Just wanted to check - it's alright to zip up the .exe/source just to submit it, right?

~Heed my word hobags: Jism~
DanH
Years of Service
User Offline
Can I confirm that using Ruby as the language for this project is ok?

Thanks,

Dan
Dream And Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 20:10
Killswitch - read the rules and Matt Rock's message above! No you can't zip up the source cause then the judges would have to unzip it. Nor can it be in an installer, as the judges haven't got time to install all these games.

Quote: "I was talking about the judges needing to physically open winzip or some other compression tool and having to extract the information ourselves... as you can imagine, if we allowed everyone to use compression like that then we'd be spending a lot of time de-compressing files as opposed to getting down to the "nitty-gritty" tasks of actually judging them. If your compiler can compress the data (like DBC/ DBP does) then feel free to use it, but you cannot use winzip or any other third-party compression tools.
"
Mr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Matt Rock - If I can get my band to cover/If I can get MIDI of a Radiohead song (such as Street Spirit [Fade Out]), will I be allowed to use it in my game? Also, how much imagery are we allowed to use? Because I want my game to have a lot of "background images" to give a bit of atmosphere.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 22:08
@ DanH: Using Ruby is fine. You can't use any fabrication software (programs that do the programming for you) and you can't make the game playable over the internet. I don't know much about Ruby, but as far as I know it doesn't fall into one of these categories... someone correct me if I'm wrong

@ Mr. Crazy: You can use static (non-animated) 2D images and music (see the first post in the thread for the acceptable formats). However, it's important to note that media will have no effect on your score whatsoever, even if you use one of my favorite songs... besides, as it stands there's only a 1 in 3 chance that I'd be judging your game anyway (we have three judges total). So yes, you could use that or any other song that you wanted, but chances are the judges will have our speakers off during the judging anyway just to be extra-certain the media doesn't play any role in your final score.

A Note important enough to be entirely in bold:
I've just recieved our first entry via e-mail, and unfortunately, I was forced to void the entry because the contestant used Winzip to package the game. Please DO NOT use third-party compression tools (as I've mentioned a few times in the thread) because it eats up time for us to unzip the entry, time that could be better spent focusing on judging your entry fairly. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing some of you. Also, please note that we will not play or judge any entries until the entry deadline, so take your time with your project... you don't want us to find any embarrasing bugs or anything

Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 00:42
Quote: "

@ Mr. Crazy: You can use static (non-animated) 2D images and music (see the first post in the thread for the acceptable formats). However, it's important to note that media will have no effect on your score whatsoever, even if you use one of my favorite songs... besides, as it stands there's only a 1 in 3 chance that I'd be judging your game anyway (we have three judges total). So yes, you could use that or any other song that you wanted, but chances are the judges will have our speakers off during the judging anyway just to be extra-certain the media doesn't play any role in your final score."

How do you mean that there is an 1 in 3 chances that you will judge the game??? That means that a game is judged by only 1 judge of 3 total, and nobody has a same scaling range(some judges give higher some lower grades) so that would be totally unfair. I thought that every judge would play and judge every game??
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 01:56
I don't want to be annoying, but surely it would be more time-effcient to allow the use of ziping the games? Otherwise you'll have to download each and every file at their full size, which is in it's self a waste of time.

My project will almost deffinatly be less than 1MB, but since I code in lots of seperate files it'll be a pain in the arse to download.

Can you please rethink this rule?

Skids Cyber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 05:39
Ok, on the whole stats thing. I had a game that I had originally done as an experiment waaaaaay back in Darkbasic Lite. I've lost the source code but the concept is the same, but I've added some new features and such. However, the game itself, as being opposed to a normal, solve the puzzles, move around aspect, is an immersive, Roman gladiator themed world. As a result it has RPG like aspects such as strength, showmanship, and other such stats, as well as focusing mainly on combat with RPG like progression. It has story as well, but the story revolves around the actions of your character. I don't want to go into overly eloquent details, but the basic idea is to escape slavery using one of two methods, while building your reputation, and essentially building your own story along with the reputation, eventually earning the right to compete it special fights, earn a special nickname based on your chosen heritage (There are about 16 different races such as Roman, Greek, Celtic, ect), actions in the arena, and fighting style and weapons. However, since this isn't a traditional text adventure, but still the game depends on story and text dialog, with your actions as the catalyst, would it be worth my while to finish it and enter the contest, or would it be beyond the scope of this competition, and therefore futile to finish it, at least for entrance in this competition?
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 05:46
@ Perokreco: I promise you the judges will be scoring the games as fairly as possible. We have three judges to speed up the judging process and all three of us need to meet judging standards and compliances that we, the judges, agreed on as a team. I can assure you with every ounce of certainty that your project will be judged just as fairly as the other projects will be.

Quote: "I don't want to be annoying, but surely it would be more time-effcient to allow the use of ziping the games?"

If you package everything in one folder and send us that folder it will be a lot easier on you and us judges as well. You can use sub-folders as well, if you'd like to tidy up your game, but the zipping rule is definitely staying standard. Not only would it use up time for us to unzip every entry, but we'd be running the serious risk of getting a virus (I'm not too worried about that, but the other two judges are beyond paranoid ) and they seem to think it will be easier to detect a virus if the game isn't zipped up.

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 09:48
I dont think you can -send- folders without zipping.. Can you?

Sonic 91 Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 12:53
I will be entering this. Text adventures are my specialty. I still make them on a spectrum!

I am a Christian and I know that God loves me. That is what makes my life so great!
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 13:02 Edited at: 10th Jun 2006 13:02
@Matt Rock

I'm quite happy to do it that way, but as Dot Merix said I don't think you can send folders without zipping?

Mr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 15:16 Edited at: 10th Jun 2006 15:22
Well I don't see how I can e-mail my entry, as google mail does not allow EXE to be sent, unless I can ZIP/RAR it with password. Wait... would renaming to .TXT and then sending and then renaming back to .EXE work?

Also, there has been nothing said on DLLs... So I take it you can use those right?>

Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 18:10
You could also upload the exe and send a link to it?
Reaperman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 19:09
My daughter (Dragon3) and myself are going to enter this one, but I need to ask:

1. We use some fonts that need to be on the players computer. So if we send the fonts along will that be ok for the game testers to install them.?

2. Also, does the fonts count towards the 5meg limit or not?

Cheers
Reaperman
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 19:23
Can i submit more then one entry?
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 19:36
Does making a script system, for example a program which can load various text files and the play them, count in techical design?
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2006 02:40
Quote: "I dont think you can -send- folders without zipping.. Can you?
"

I've been able to do it, but if enough people confirm that they can't send folders via e-mail then I guess we could make that the exception to the rule (but the 5mb rule will be standard... if we do allow for zipping so files/ folders can be sent, the game will need to be 5mb unzipped). Let me test that out tonight when I get home from work and see what I can make of it.

Quote: "Also, there has been nothing said on DLLs... So I take it you can use those right?>"

As long as it doesn't break the installation rules or the media rules, I don't see a problem with using DLLs

Quote: "You could also upload the exe and send a link to it? "

You could do this, but again I need to stress that we shouldn't need to visit a website to play the game... in other words, we shouldn't need to have a web browser open during play.

Quote: "1. We use some fonts that need to be on the players computer. So if we send the fonts along will that be ok for the game testers to install them.?"

Unfortunately, I don't think we could allow this, because it would fall under the installation segment of the rules. If you can figure out some sort of scripting method for it, that would be okay. Also, yes, this would count against the 5mb limit.

Quote: "Can i submit more then one entry? "

That's a very good question, and I'm annoyed at myself for not thinking to include this in the contest's rules, but we need to limit entries to one per person because it would be pretty unfair if we gave away runner-up prizes and one person won them all.

Quote: "Does making a script system, for example a program which can load various text files and the play them, count in techical design? "

Scripting systems are pretty "hardcore," for some programmers anyway, so yes, I think having a scripting system for your entry would drastically improve your technical score.

I hope I got everyone's questions in this round of answering... let me know if I missed anything

Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2006 03:13
Quote: "That's a very good question, and I'm annoyed at myself for not thinking to include this in the contest's rules, but we need to limit entries to one per person because it would be pretty unfair if we gave away runner-up prizes and one person won them all."

Well you could allow more entries per person, but limit number of awards per person to 1. I think that this is done in the Dark A.I. competition.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2006 07:34
Quote: "I'm glad that you are allowing compiled Java games. It probably wouldn't be fair to allow .NET and disallow Java. They both use a runtime, and they both are "compiled" down to something that the installed runtime can execute on a Windows desktop."

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, we have more fun!
Mr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
One question:

If we use DLLs (such as Sparky's D3D Text), would you need to provide that with the exe to show what we have used? Or isn't it necessary?

Reaperman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2006 16:17
Quote: "Quote: "1. We use some fonts that need to be on the players computer. So if we send the fonts along will that be ok for the game testers to install them.?"
Unfortunately, I don't think we could allow this, because it would fall under the installation segment of the rules. If you can figure out some sort of scripting method for it, that would be okay. Also, yes, this would count against the 5mb limit.
"

Ok, thats fine. Just a quick question over that.

I dont know off-hand if DBP would use the fonts if they were included as media.
Does anyone know if that would work, or do fonts for DBP have to be in the windows font directory for DBP to access them?

Cheers
Reaperman
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2006 17:26
cool!

i have a great idea for my text game!

your going to be a rabbit,in the woods,each decision u make will either keep u alive or get eaten by the many predators out there,especially wolves!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 12:01
DBPro uses windows fonts.

So if they're installed when DBPro boots up they should be accesible, it can't load a font in and use it. I think maybe TTF bitmap fonts could be loaded in DBC with the DarkMatter extensions.

Perhaps a bitmap font system would be better in that case, you could colour, AA, and basically neaten up a font and use a bitmap text system. It's a bit fiddly really, but an option.

I'd suggest trying to make do with standard fonts, compatibility is far more important than any font.

Aegrescit medendo
Reaperman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 14:52
Quote: "I'd suggest trying to make do with standard fonts, compatibility is far more important than any font."

True, but it would have been nice to have used other fonts to make the look of the game better. I dont see the need to use sprites etc ( it also adds to the size of the exe of cause) as it is a text only game. But i will just use the basic default font for the game...Tho i really do think that if this adventure compo had been thought through a little more, that they should have supplied a list of usable fonts for the game that were acceptable, IMHO.

Cheers
Reaperman
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 15:42 Edited at: 12th Jun 2006 15:43
But some platforms support built in bitmap fonts, TTF, even FON - the choice is yours what you use, if you choose DBPro then you have to worry about exe sizes and stuff more than other platforms.

Really though, don't use the default font, it's ugly. Just find a standard font that fits your theme. I also suggest using a double-text effect, for example drawing in black a little to the side and down, then drawing in white in the original location gives a nice drop-shadow.

Fonts standard to windows:
http://www.kayskreations.net/fonts/fonttb.html

Aegrescit medendo
The InTIMidator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 17:16
Hey Guys/gals
I'm in. Text adventure game sounds good but my only complaint is, at the moment, NO STATS IN A RPG!!!!!!!?????
Come on, I've just spent the first few hours trying to make a battle engine and bugged it and all and now you are saying you can't have HP or MP!!! I'm sorry, but I can't get my head around this... how would you have a battle with no stats? I mean will it be...

I mean come on, you can't have a battle without stats. Then you can't use magic or skills!!
Seriously, what is an RPG without any Stats?!
It'll end up being a poor labyrinth game where you say...go left..right...forward... and sometimes you'll fall into a trap...and it is just not going to catch the judges at all...
Apart from that little issue, I think this text game will be really good as it will teach me alot in parsing n' stuff, since I am a novice programmer.
Anyway...Best luck to you all...
The InTIMidator

"Press any key ... where's the any key"
AMD Athlon 64 3400, 1 Gb RAM, Radeon 9800 pro, 80GB HDD
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 18:42
It's not an RPG! How many times does this have to be said!?

Broken sword doesn't have a battle system, yet it's an adventure game. Text adventure's are like that but with text rather than graphics to describe what's going on.

If you want a battle system, then the rules mean that you have to be creative, which is far better than a standard RPG system.

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 12:20:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 12:20:59