Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Text Adventure Competition!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've got three questions.
: Who are all the judges?
: Can I contact the judges directly to ask a question? (Via E-Mail)
: If I submit an entry (Before cut-off date.) and there's something wrong with it, and this causes it to be removed from the competition. Will I be contacted/informed that the entry is removed/void from the competition. 'And' if so, can I re-enter it into the competition if I have enough time to fix it before cut-off?

I don't want to see anyone flood the judges with unfinished/tested Betas, this is a 'Hey that's breaking the rules, project disqualified' question.

I've run into a few coding snags here and there... but progress is being made.

When I dream,
I carry a sword in one hand,
a gun in the other...
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 01:47
well, i've been working on this hardcore for 3 days,
and have a decent parser, a bunch of maps,
lists of items and people and creatures,
and a whole lot of enthusiasm!

looking forward to seeing it thru, but that hideous fiend called
"My Job" will soon take me back...

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 21:56
Quote: "I've got three questions.
Who are all the judges?
"

So far there's only three judges: Me, and two people I work with on game development, Sharyn and Mike. All three of us have worked on text adventures and read quite a bit, and that's pretty much our only qualifications for the role

Quote: "Can I contact the judges directly to ask a question? (Via E-Mail)"

You can e-mail me to your heart's content (as some people seem to be e-mailing me twice per day lol). I'll say the same stuff they'd say. I'll have to ask them if they'd be willing to have their e-mail addresses posted, though. If I post without asking their permission they'll probably get really, really cranky lol.

Quote: ": If I submit an entry (Before cut-off date.) and there's something wrong with it, and this causes it to be removed from the competition. Will I be contacted/informed that the entry is removed/void from the competition. 'And' if so, can I re-enter it into the competition if I have enough time to fix it before cut-off?"

Even if we recieve entries prior to the August 2nd deadline, those games won't be looked at until August 3rd. From the 3rd to the 10th we'll be judging the entries, and any entries that are void from entry will be deleted from file, and we'll contact the entrant to let them know it's been voided, but the August 2nd deadline is strict and we won't be allowing people to re-enter. But the rules are pretty straightforward... if there's any "gray areas" that you're unsure about, feel free to ask either here or via e-mail and I'll help you out. The file limit and the media are the most hardcore rules so if it's related to that you don't really need to ask lol

"In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe"
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 01:45
I've been working nonestop all week on my text adventure, and it's about 1/3 done. However, I've been worried about the technical scoring of the contest. Is the score based on the complexity of our code or the way we use the code? And will you need a lot of rem statements to decided the score. Because from my stand point, the technical score is the one I think I will score the least in. I know, I know, the story and writing are the most important part, but scoring a 2 would drop my score like a rock. Thanks.

Bio Fox...four guys, one computer, games like nobody's business.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 06:30
I am a little confused myself. Is the technical score based on how long and complex our code is, but I mean what if say somone had code that was 100 lines long and I could make one that was only 50 lines long but did the same things and I didn't use the colon to seperate the code on one line?

Is it the longer more complex looking?

Or the shorter just good one?

I have the longest Biog under my profile button!

"You don't know the power of Dark Basic Pro!"

-Darth Vader-
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 08:56 Edited at: 8th Jul 2006 08:56
i would bet that the "technical" score is based on how WELL it is coded,
not how many comands you fit on one line.

here on 3 ways to do the same thing:

OR

or of course the best way to do this particular example:

each example is more EFFICIENT than the last,
and THAT is probably what they are looking for.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 10:24
The technical score will rate how well laid-out your code is, and what sort of technology you're using. For instance, a game with explanatory rem statements using parsers and a function-driven engine will out-score a game with no rem statements with a thousand lines of unnecessary code, a basic scancode-powered gameplay schematic, and written in spaghetti code. I hope that made sense hehe, if not I'll elaborate further (it's 3:30am, I'm a bit sleepy )

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 19:33
whew! this is a lot of work. but it sure is gratifying when you are
able to get things to happen the way you want. i still have tons
of descriptions to write. it's funny how close august seems.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 23:06
After some searching, we've finally found our fourth and final judge. We appreciate all of the "applications" we've recieved via e-mail, and we'd be greatful if you all contact us about judging our next contest this fall. All that's left is to get more prizes, and I promise we're doing everything we can to secure some runners-up prizes, so keep an eye on the thread!

- Matt

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 00:43 Edited at: 13th Jul 2006 01:57
ok.. call me crazy if u will, but...

Only just found out about this compo, and i fink i may enter it, tho theres only 2 weeks left(ish) and i've only had DBC for 2weeks(ish) lets see what sorta fun things i can make up in that time .. maybe i shuld have a special position asigned for me .. like .. Hardest Try, or Best n00b. Or, as the chances may be, not.

EDIT ---
Nearly forgot to ask...

Are the Judges going to TRY to find holes in the game? Or are they going to play it sensibly?
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 01:27
Um, what exactly is the Digital Imaging Software that one of use could win?

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 07:19
two whole weeks of work! this is an awesome experience. how's it
going for others? is all the communication just private now?
has anything been oficially decided that hasn't been posted here?

one issue i'd like to raise:
the idea that the judges will not allow re-submissions of bug-fixed
or self-disqualifying work.

i'm putting tons of work into this, and would like to see it at
least judged/critiqued.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 11:08
I have got a fair bit going!
Though i think mine will be a the last minute!

I have the longest Biog under my profile button!

"You don't know the power of Dark Basic Pro!"

-Darth Vader-
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 16:24
Mine's about half done, excluding some special commands that I will add in the last minute. Hopefully, I'll be done by the end of the week so friends can test it for bugs!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 00:06
Mine was almost done, but was somehow deleted, so now I am almost back to where I was. I ahve put in loads of work in this project.

Uncle Sam
Idril
Years of Service
User Offline
Mine is done, but I am not totally satisfied. So I am still working. And hey, the deadline is not yet, so I got some time..
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 10:35
90% done!

Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Im not even done writing the story. I gotta get on this.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 21:25
Sorry about the delayed answer to your question Uncle Sam:
Quote: "Um, what exactly is the Digital Imaging Software that one of use could win? "

Your answer comes directly from Visionary Designs via an e-mail I sent them asking a similar question back when they offered the prize:

"This will come in a bundled package of 9 individual DVDs which will cover all aspects, such as image capture, image manipulation, video editing, CD/DVD data burning and presentation software."

A pretty awesome package if I do say so myself. The prizes are making me wish I could enter lol.

Quote: "I gotta get on this. "

Yes you do! The deadline is drawing near folks. I can't wait to see your entries!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 00:02
Oh, I see, sounds nice. I would probably be able to use it if I won, but if not, I might sell it to you cheaper. But I will not count my chickens before they hatch.

Uncle Sam
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 11:25
I wouldn't be allowed to buy any of the software we're giving away from whoever wins the competition... people would think I'm rigging the contest and that's not going to happen. I've already had two offers via e-mail to rig it btw, and the answer in both e-mails... a sturdy "no" hehe. In fact, I'm going to hand those two contestants off to Sharyn, Mike, or Shane to judge just to avoid anyone suspecting I'm being unfair But thanks for the offer anyway

I got an e-mail earlier from a contestant who said something along the lines of "I hear you're making a text adventure, are you going to enter it?"

No. We are NOT entering our game into the competition. Yes, we're making a text adventure right now, but it's totally unrelated to this competition. We're making a text adventure as a test... we want to see if a text adventure of fair quality can sell in today's indie marketplace, with the sole intention of sharing our findings a few months later here on TGC so that those of you attempting to make text adventures, in the hopes you might turn a profit from the game, can learn from the things we do right and wrong. I'm just saying this here in case anyone else knows about that project and is planning on asking me about it... cut you off at the pass so to speak

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 12:27
Can our story continue on to another Text Adventure Game? I would only enter the first one but can it continue on to another?
Thanks!

Website under construction Sponsered by Galekus http://ideal-entertainment.galekus.com
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 17:49
I don't see why not. Cliffhangers are always nifty. I just hope you're planning on releasing these games, whether you win or not, so that if anyone plays it and says "oh my god, how does it end!" then you'll give them closure

Another note: some contests (not on TGC that I know of but others abroad) keep your entries forever. We're not going to do that. It was your blood, sweat, and tears (hopefully not blood!) that went into making the game... it belongs entirely to you. Sell it, give it away for free, burn it onto a CD and go skeet shooting, it's up to you

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 19:46
Almost done, I've just got to make the last long haul to finish my adventure up. By the way, are there running up prizes? I know you said there might be, but I haven't seen any signs of them. I'll check the first post again just to make sure. Secondly, is it alright if I have title screen with an image? I know media is discouraged but it jsut ands some flavor to the game, rather than a simple text title and a press any key to start. Finally, I was wondering about how big other people's text adventures are. Mine is going to be about 50 areas, so would that be on the high or low side? Cheers.

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 20:28
matt,
i'm glad you addressed the issue of "i'll sell it to you if i win",
because i was going to have to try to make a counter offer of a lower price. happy not to have to. i *should* get my entry up on
this board by sunday. posting here is still OK, yes?
bob

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 08:12
I will have to rush a little, I know what I want and how to do it just need to finish writing my story!
Not to long, probably be around 45min to 60min!(I hope)

Thanks Matt!!!

Website under construction Sponsered by Galekus http://ideal-entertainment.galekus.com
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 23:06
an image or background in your front end GUI "menu area" is fine, so long as you abide by the rules. You can post your entries to this thread or e-mail them to me at Maximus_PT1@yahoo.com if you'd prefer other members don't play your game (although it is generally encouraged that you share your finished work with everyone else).

Unfortunately, I couldn't secure runner-up prizes. I couldn't get a few companies to commit, another didn't seem very serious when making their offer, and I spent weeks negotiating prizes with two other companies and neither would come to terms with the fact that I wouldn't make contestants pay shipping & handling fees But next year I'm hoping to have more prizes to give away... I'll have more time also. I guess for now the runner-up prizes are bragging rights, hehe.

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 01:59
i have a 99% complete version of my game uploaded here.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85224&b=8&p=0
could some of you please check it and see that it works?
tell me of major problems or bugs, please...
thanks a lot!
bob

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 11:39
ok, as far as i know,
this is my submission
right here at the download link.
hope you like it...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 01:24
Mine's done, just need to test it for bugs, mainly grammar errors.

Uncle Sam
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 11:23
Damn! I'm not going to make it!
Oh well my story was so good! But it wasn't finished! My engine was waiting and I was unable to complete it in time for the compo! But this doesn't mean I will stop it full stop! No I am going to continue because its evolved into a trilogy. Keep your eyes peeled in the WIP board for updates. (If I do manage somehow to finish the game. I will post it!) Good luck to everyone!!!
Matt about a runner up prize I would be willing to pay $10.00 PayPal to the second runner up!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 13:56
Actually I might be able to enter my game! I talked to my friend and he said that what I had was good, if the contest says to keep it short! So I may still enter!
And my runner up price is still be offered Matt so if you could get back to ASAP!
Thanks!

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 20:41 Edited at: 31st Jul 2006 20:41
@ Darth: We've had two other offers from people who wanted to offer cash, the others via e-mail, but I'm somewhat opposed to the idea for a few reasons. Currency has different values around the world... for instance, $10 in the US is worth something like $5 in England, $11 in Canada, $8 in Euros, $14 in Australia, $100 in Mexico, etc. (no, these aren't exact figures, I'm just guessing these figures, probably poorly... I'm saying that before the TGC currency police tell me to pull over lol). Another reason I'm opposed to it: What if your entry should win? You're offering a prize, and therefore it would be seen as unfair by other entrants. Last but not least, I wanted to offer four runner-up prizes, one for each voting category, and next year I'll do my best to see to it that prizes are given out across the board. I admire your willingness to help and I'm thankful that there are members like you who are willing to help the competition, but to avoid complications (predicted and un-predicted), I think we'll just go with what we have. I'm sorry to everyone that I couldn't secure runner-up prizes; I tried my best and I think we did pretty well with gathering prizes in such a short period of time. Hopefully next time we'll be able to secure more

With just a few days before the contest's deadline, I'm hoping that we see more entries! It's getting down to the wire and hopefully we'll soon see an awesome collection of text adventure games to judge and play Get Cracking!

Reaperman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 20:39
Quote: "...11:59pm Eastern Standard Time on August 2nd, 2006"

Whats that in GMT?

Quote: " ok, as far as i know, this is my submission right here at the download link. hope you like it..."

Ibol, just a note of it. When I ran it, it said that I needed DX9c (2005) and I only had DX9.
I checked this and I do have the latest DX. Dont know if anyone else found that to be the case, but just thought I would let you know.

Cheers
Reaperman
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 21:09
Yah, what time is it there? 'Cause its still August first here, and I'm finishing debugging!

Uncle Sam
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 21:56
Eastern Standard Time is GMT -5. So us Europeans have the advantage here, the way I see it. Too bad I have a night shift, or I could tweak for an additional six hours.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 22:07
Reaperman,
you are the first person to mention this...i know some people have played it
successfully on another thread...thanks for the report.
i just PRAY that matt and the other judges don't have the same problem.
i worked really hard on this.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 22:16
We all have the latest DX installed, except Shane... I can't speak on his behalf, but I'm assuming he does as well. Don't worry, it'll be fine I'm sure.

- Matt

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 01:10 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 01:53
I'm done! Hmm...I can't use winzip because the trial expired, so can I use winrar to make a zip file? Otherwise I can't send the whole folder.

Uncle Sam
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 03:05
hey sam, if it's necessary,
you can send me (or someone else neutral) a RAR file,
i can un-rar it and use my winzip for you.
it's an offer.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 03:09 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2006 04:29
Hmm...i don't want to sound rude, but since we are competing, it would be unwise to give my entry to a teammate. You'll be able to download it here anyways, but I'd feel safer this way. Thanks anyways.

Well, since it might be too late when Matt replies, I'll upload it as a zip file made in winrar, so it should work the same. just let me know if I can't Matt.

So, if it is allowed, THIS IS MY ENTRY!

I'm not sure how I will be able to zip it otherwise.

EDIT: wait, please don't count that as my entry, there is major bug that makes it not playable. How did I miss that?

EDIT2: final entry added later on. this entry here is not my final entry!

Uncle Sam

Attachments

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 03:50 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2006 04:30
Ok, here is my final entry! (if the zip is legal ).

EDIT: final entry added later on. this entry here is not my final entry!

Uncle Sam

Attachments

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 03:57 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2006 04:30
I'm so sorry! I forgot to update the source code file!

THIS IS MY FINAL ENTRY!

EDIT: final entry added later on. this entry here is not my final entry!

Uncle Sam

Attachments

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 04:25
Wow, so there are only three people so far??? I'm going to enter, soon as i get everything debugged and set up. I'm assuming we include source code.... anyways, hope more people enter.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 04:44 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 04:44
Yes, I'm quite sure you have to include source code.

By the way, to prove that I'm not trying to reduce the size of my game by using another compressor I will tell you that the whole folder for the game when it is unzipped is only 2.20 mb.

Uncle Sam
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 05:43
yo Dr Manette ,
you've got like 12 minutes or something so GET TO IT!

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 05:55
Here's my game, read the readme to see commands, hope it works!!!!

Attachments

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 05:59
Forgot my source, sorry for double post!

Attachments

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 06:11 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 06:35
!!!This is my final entry, ignore the others!!!

Attachments

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 06:33
The deadlines August 2nd 11:59PM Not August 1st! Am I right?
Otherwise I missed out!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 14:35:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 14:35:04