Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Manuel

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 19:39
Is it too late to vote? I would want to play the whole thing.
I really like the style of this game, keep it up!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 20:31
@Xenocythe - Thanks. I'll post the game here too when it is done.

@zzz - Thanks. Whole thing it is then.

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 09:51
That is sweet and sour news, sweet cuz your not set back as much as you thought you were but sad that you don't have as much time to work on it. Oh well hope you christmas games go well!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 17:11
Thanks. Fingers crossed but my idea should hopefully not take too long to make plus I'm starting to get some friends who want the demo as well so I'll work on it as much as possible. However, I think getting the christmas game over and done with first is probably for the best.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 16:33
Things seem to be going fairly well. I've done quite a bit of the graphics now but pretty much nothing of the game. It may seem the wrong way around but I think it is best for this project. I'll have some screens soon.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 17:34 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2006 17:36
Here is some of the texture work I have done so far.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 17:50
very nice use of low poly objects.

"One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs."
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 20:08
Thanks. I finally discovered a decent normal map generator so I thought I'd put it it to use. I'm hoping to test out as many graphic effects as possible in this game so that I can see what is possible for Manuel.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 22:24
As far as I know I have finished all the models and textures for the level objects. Hopefully just the player object to go before coding starts.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 15:27
It appears that the normal map shader and water shader combo is too slow. I guess the water is less important so it'll have to go. Especially as I was planning to add bloom/HDR.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 20:38
Here is the current level editor. I am working on making a full seemingly infinite 3D grid to make placement easier.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 17:27
Level editor is close-ish to completion now.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 19:43
Looks cool, I like the textuers.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 16:56
Thanks very muchly! For 1-2 hours work I think it is pretty good. Only things left to do for the editor (fingers crossed nothing else pops up!):
Saving/loading with self made file browser
Addition of paths for moving platforms
Obstacles
Once that is done then hopefully I can start and, before to long, finish the game itself.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 19:27
Moving platform
Yay!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 17:06
Have a vid! I'm hoping to get either obstacles or collectables done tonight and then the other the next. Then the save/load routine. Then the game!

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 00:35
Nice.

You'll be able to click on this someday.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 02:27
DUde, thast freaking amazing

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 02:50
That is really awesome Andrew!!! The only thing I can sugest atm is that you make it easier to see the y axis when editing. I had trouble following how high you were when you were going up.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 16:31
@Mr Tank and Xenocythe - Thanks!
@Bizar Guy - Thank. Yeah, my thoughts also. I'm thinking I might, in the region around then selected space, put in some vertical lines. I'll see if it helps. If you have any other ideas then please let me know.

Unfortunately when I said that I was hoping to do the obstacle last night I had another idea for them and finished modelling and texturing that. I'm now not 100% sure where I am going with them but it hopefully won't take too long.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 19:02
Andrew, you have really planned this well. It looks like you have a solid base to build a game on! AWESOME!

!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 21:11 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 21:13
@zzz - Thanks but which game are you talking about? Again thanks eitherway! The level editor is for the game I am making my family for christmas.

I have now added spike traps! Like with the moving platforms, I can set them on timer within the level editor via a simple mouse scroll to end up with effects as shown in the new vid.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 21:42
Nice

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 22:10 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 22:12
Ok I must have misunderstood you. Anyway, you have done a great work with all those things that you´ve showed us, I really like those moving platforms!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 20:56
Thanks both of you. Hopefully get more done over the weekend.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 21:53
I'm really liking the editor. If only I were so talented with them...

I may e-mail you in a few days-weeks for sugestions. Better yet, seeing as you're probably the editor-building guru of the forum (you seem to have made a LOT of them), maybe you should make a thread in game theory about them... I can't be the only one who wants help in this area.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 22:12
Looking awesome LiT, as for the better visual of what y axis level you're on, Id do one of the following;

Use a 2D image that shows squares stacked ontop of each other, you could then click one of the squares to jump to that level, and the current level you're on would be hi-lighted.

Ghost all objects not on your current level (alpha mapping them would be better actually).

Position a plain with a transparent gradient textured on it at the current y level. Anything below will be shaded from the plain, so you'll know what objects are on your current level. If you had a plain positioned at every level, objects farther below you would appear darker than those closer below. Then it might be a good idea to hide all objects above the current y level, or atleast fade them a bit with alpha mapping.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 00:31 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 00:32
This is getting better by the second! I'm really looking forward to playing this.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 16:36
@Bizar Guy - Thanks. Feel free to e-mail me whenever. I do like making level editors but I'm not sure I'm good enough to make a thread about them.

@RUCCUS - Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought of those ideas and I think I may use them in conjunction with my other one and see what it looks like!

@headcrab 53 - Thanks!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 21:15
I've got balls! Lol! I've added balls that will roll around and will turn if they reach an edge or obstacle. 'Tis pretty cool but unfortunately the vid is very slow. Here it is anyway.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 15:28
Sweet. Lookin good!
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 16:57
Thanks. I've been spending time on the level editor and I've now completely forgot what my original idea for the game was! I've got some thinking to do!

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 17:00 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2006 17:04
Quote: "I've got balls!"

Most people realize that alot sooner!

Quote: "pretty cool but unfortunately the vid is very slow. Here it is anyway."

Downloading now...

Quote: "I've been spending time on the level editor and I've now completely forgot what my original idea for the game was! I've got some thinking to do!"

LOL

EDIT:
Quote: "[quote]pretty cool but unfortunately the vid is very slow. Here it is anyway."

Downloading now...[/quote]

Once again, this is getting better by the second! I'm really looking forward to playing this.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 17:14
Thanks both for watching and the comment. Unfortunately, as I've said before, I'm only getting about 3 hours of work in a week. Luckily I am a pretty fast worker.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 17:52
Well I have added the delete function now which is more complicated than it seems. I am using as few variable as possible and the static objects of the level are unordered so when you delete a cube in the middle then, if the last object is a ramp, it deletes both and then makes the ramp object again but with the ID of the cube so that there are no unused IDs. Hope I made that clear enough! Basically it was just more challenging than I expected and the only way I could do it was using the 'limb texture' command to work out what each object was.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 20:50
To keep track of my object list, I use types in combination with arrays.

For example, a simple type would be

After that, it's easy to manipulate objects, id's, etc. If you create a new object, you simply use array insert at top/bottom, if you want to delete, you use array delete element.
And no problems with ID's, object numbers, etc.

I don't if this helps (I hope so)

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 22:27
Yeah, I usually do similar but it was unnecessary in this case. Thanks for trying to help but there wasn't actually anything to help with. I obviously didn't explain very clearly but I was trying to say that I had got round the problem.

There are 3 types of object that make up the static level; path, cube and ramp. The user can add them however they like and their ID's follow on so, for example, if they added a cube, a path, a cube and a ramp then you's get this:
ID Type
1 Cube
2 Path
3 Cube
4 Ramp
Now the problem was that I didn't want there to be any gaps in ID numbers so if the 2nd cube was deleted it would have ended up like this:
ID Type
1 Cube
2 Path
4 Ramp
To solve this, I made the delete function check which texture was on limb 0 of the object to find out what type of piece it was. So if the texture was the same one as used for the ramp then obviously the piece was a ramp. This meant that I could store the info about the last object then delete both it and the one that was being deleted and then remake the last object at the place in the ID list where there was now a space. So I'd end up with this.
ID Type
1 Cube
2 Path
3 Ramp

Maybe that explains it better. Either way problem solved now.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 22:42
Lol cool. Can't wait to see when you get some monsters in there!!!!

-Mansoor Siddiquie

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 22:53
Who said there will be monsters? I sure as heck didn't! Why would you jump to such a conclusion!?!? Yeah, alright, there will be! Lol! How did you guess?

Thanks by the way!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 00:36
Lol

I got a little dissapointed before I realized you were kidding.

Well, monsters are a great addition to making puzzles harder. And you can't have a game based off of POP without monsters...

-Mansoor Siddiquie

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 21:45
Manuel was always going to but remember, the game and level editor I am working on currently isn't Manuel. However, it will still probably have monsters.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 23:03
@Xenocythe: I can't wait either!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 04:45
wait, this isn't manuel?

Heh, you should make new wips for these side projects so that we don't confuse them.

Prehaps a sticky thread labled Andrew's Side Projects?

No, it's cool man. The editor still looks awesome, but I seriously thought it was for manuel.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 16:38
Thanks!
Sorry, I though I explained. No, this is for the game I am making for Christmas so I can get it over with and then back to Manuel. However, I may be able to use quite a bit of this level editor for Manuel anyway.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 18:07
I've done as much as I can now to the editor without working out what the actual game was going to be! I can't believe I forgot! Well...actually...I'm not that suprised! Lol! Really need to figure it out soon!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 15:59
I'm going to try adding buttons that when pushed will carry out a series of actions which you can set within the level editor. For example, when you add a button it will start recording all your actions until you tell it to stop. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it as complicated as pressing a button will add another button so that you are recording to or more buttons at the same time as that could get complicated but we will see!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 17:21
Added another little feature. The balls already avoided obstacles and falling off the edge but now they avoid each other as well!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 00:16
Cool

-Mansoor Siddiquie

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good, can't wait to see your Xmas games either if you decide to give us some samplers on them.

P.s Check your email.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 10:14
@Xenocythe - Thanks.
@Cian Rice - Thanks but, again, this is the level editor for the Chrsitmas game. As I said a while ago, I am pausing Manuel so I can put all my spare time into this and get it over and done with ready for Christmas and then go back to Manuel with full concentration and renewed motivation. I'll check my e-mail right now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:32:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:32:43