Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Manuel

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good!!!

one thing: the back thing seems to dissapear, the camera range has something going on

Who wants a Lemon?

I love lemons... and cats
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 23:03
Thanks.
Yep, I know. That wasn't in game; that was just a test of the normal mapping. It was just some sample media so that I can get on with and test the level editor.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 17:47
And motivation gone! Gah! I was so looking forward to working on Manuel last night and now I feel like doing anything but that. It is incredibly frustrating. I think I'm going to set myself a game project and aim to finish it in 2 weeks and if I then think it is worth carrying on then I will. I think finishing a bunch of small projects should help me get motivation back again. Sorry guys.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 21:29
Hmm you need a project you're willing to work on until it's perfect, even if it's not exactly the game you want to make the most. That's what happened to me with Block Verse and Old School... now I'm still improving the engine for Dream and then Verse, and I'm so determined to finish Old School that even if I think of a more intersting type of platformer to work on, I end up wanting to do Old school more...

I guess you need a game where your determination outweighs you motivation.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 23:40
Hmm...you are right. My problem with Manuel is that I struggle to see how it will be fun beyond the initial novelty factor and you think 'Hey! This is like PoP but not half as good!'. I think making a few small but fun games is the way forward. My projects folder is full of half cooked ideas so I might pick some of them up and release them as small games. Yep, sounds good to me!

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 12:42
Ya thats how i've felt on a lot of projects. I just don't want to look at that code anymore. Hope you get some motivation on with those small games your thinking about.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 17:48
Thanks. Well I have loads of ideas for the small games so you can expect to see them in Program Anouncements (maybe WIP if they aren't too small) soon-ish. I woke up at about 5:00am today and switched on my PC and just started working on Manuel. It wasn't till after my coffee at about 7:30am that I realised what I'd been doing! I think I'll keep Manuel going but spread my time between this and the small projects so I don't get bored and so that I still get to finish and release games whilst working on a longer project.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 17:59
Quote: "And motivation gone! Gah! I was so looking forward to working on Manuel last night and now I feel like doing anything but that."

Andrew! Don't say that pal!!
You need more of my emails to keep up with your work??
This may not be a PoP, but then again, you are not a team of professional developers with big funds helping you out!

As for the 'fun' part in the game, why don't you make a nice long story? The story could start of with what Manuel is doing, his path to his goal etc. Each level could be in a different environment (outdoors, indoors, caves, hills, and so on). The final levels could well be his approach towards his goal (a sweetheart, a big boss, dangerous territories, anything!).

This should keep you involved in the game development. You would have to keep thinking of good unique levels, different enemies, different textures (for different environments) and so forth.

Do anything you want...but just don't stop on this

-filya

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 19:27
Quote: "You need more of my emails to keep up with your work??
"

Lol!

Thanks! As I said in the last post, I will continue this.

[/quote]This should keep you involved in the game development. You would have to keep thinking of good unique levels, different enemies, different textures (for different environments) and so forth.
Quote: "
That is exactly what I need to do; keep varying the game to keep my interest.

[quote]Do anything you want...but just don't stop on this"

I won't, thanks.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 21:58
You see, I had the same problem as you. I hated working without motivation. What I do now, I don't post a thread until I'm over 60% done the game

This way, the will to finish it drives you alot more than motivation.

-Mansoor S.

(Formerly Xenocythe)
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 22:08
Yep, that is a good idea. My current plan is to work alternate days on Manuel and mini projects. However, if I really feel like working on Manuel on a mini project day I will do that because Manuel will take priority. My first mini project is going to be a MOFPS. That isn't a typo for MMOFPS. It will be small scale; perhaps 16 players per match. News on that later and I'll need some help to play test the multiplayer.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 00:54
Is it just me, or is the sig in one of you posts quoted??

And so you know, be careful. Nothing kills determination like too many projects... I'd recomend never doing more than two at any one time if you want to finish any of them, and really just programmng the one you're more interested in working on that day. I personaly suck at schedualing my hobbies, but you may be better at it.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 18:13
Doh! I must have forgotten to close the quote tabs!

Yep, I will stick with just the two at a time.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 18:25
My advice: Yes do a simpler game when you get bored of working on Manuel, but try to program it to allow yourself to implement new cool little things quickly. Thats what Im doing right now and its a great side tracker for the FPS Tutorial, just a 2D Multiplayer Side-Scrolling Fighting game, like Street Fighters, but no media, just Ellipses and Lines. Everyday I can add a small effect to the game that keeps me motivated to program atleast something, like double jumping, shooting small circle objects out, smashing down on your enemies, etc.

Summing up... just try to program it in such a way that the engine takes little time to create, but allows you to add cool little effects everytime you get bored from Manuel.

:: Check out the new FPS Tutorial's Progress at http://www.freewebs.com/ruccus
along with code, media, and more.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 21:38
As long as I am coding the engine then I'm happy. It is more a case that I get bored when the engine is done and I'm just adding content. For instance, on the MOFPS I'm doing as a side project I'm getting annoyed alerady whilst trying to make the hand model because I really suck at modelling and texturing. If it was just the code work then I'd be very happy!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 22:21
Well since that last post I've tried again and I so far have this. It isn't great but it will do for now. I really have trouble unwrapping though so wish me luck!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 23:47
LiT do you want my hand model I made for the FPS Tut? As long as you dont try to sell it Im fine with you using it / redistributing it, heres the post about the model:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99003&b=3

If it looks like something you could use just say so and Ill email er' over to you.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 23:55
LiT? Lost in Thought? If you were offering that to me then thanks but I'm actually fairly happy with what I have now.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 01:23
Yeah sorry I get the names confused from time to time, ok no problem.

>< Oh I just realized, my last post may have sounded like I was saying your model is ugly so you should use mine, that wasnt it at all its just you mentioned problems with unwrapping and my hand is uv mapped, just wanted to save you time, your model still looks great (I cant see much because of my fubared monitor).

- RUC'

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 10:44
Lol! I thought so. Thanks for the offer and comment. I really think it is something I should learn to do though. Whilst this hand model isn't great by general standards, it is the best attempt I've ever made so I think I am improving and whilst I am a coder I still think it would be a valuable asset to me if I could do the media as well as though is what always holds me back. Thanks again and I do like your model.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 11:21
I am seriously struggling with motivation in everything at the moment. I've sort of hit a wall. Not trying to be all boasty but it feels like there is nothing left to learn in terms of DarkBASIC. Coding was fun before when I was still learning and progressing and doing stuff I hadn't done before. Now it is a case of 'Sure, I can code pretty much whatever I want' but none of my projects are any better than the last because I've reached a limit. Add my lack of media skills to the mix and it means that none of them are good graphically. I feel like I'm only working on Manuel for the sake of it. Back in the days of Realms Of Tutopia I was doing it out of passion for the game. It was so much more fun! I was still learning and progress was being made all the time. I guess also the sheer amount of time I have spent coding over the last 2 or 3 years has lead to eventual loss of interest. I think I'm going to take a break from DarkBASIC all together, for a while at least. I might try and progress in C++. I have already learnt C++ but only the core stuff. I want to try doing some DirectX work in it. Failing that I may just stop coding all together to try and get back some desire to code. I'll still hover about on the forums to check out other people's projects and to offer help to anyone who needs it.
Sorry all.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 16:38
one word : OUCH!!!

can't help (or even offer advice), since I am not a coder at all. But I hope you get back the will to code soon Andrew!

Maybe, just maybe someday...I will get DBPro too, and we could complete Manuel together

All the best man.

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 17:50
Ouch indeed. It really sucks.
Thanks and just maybe...

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 11:46
Wow thats exactly how i feel! Oh wait, I suck at coding. Dang that guy in my head just keeps popping up at the most random times. Well I hope all goes well on your end. I would say you should go for C++ if you feel like you'll get something out of it. Good luck man!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 13:41
Thanks, I guess C++ is the way forward into the games industry.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
do what i am doing: think of an idea where anytihng can be put in and focus on letting your mind changes only changing feature ideas instead of game ideas

Who wants a Lemon?

I love lemons... and cats
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 18:40 Edited at: 12th Apr 2007 18:33
Hee hee! Your sig makes a Sour Puss! Lol!
Not quite sure what you are saying but thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 05:53:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 05:53:48