Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Manuel

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 18:56
I've now added buttons which you can store 5 actions into. This means that in the level editor you can add a button then use the level editor as usual to do 5 things such as add platforms or delete blocks. At the moment only the deleting is done but adding shouldn;t be too much harder. I may also increase the number of things each button can do. For those of you who have used it, it is like recording a macro in excel. Tis pretty cool in my opinion.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 19:00
Wow

Man, you must be the best at level editors. I honestly could never accomplish something that well.

Maybe one day you could have time to program level editor good enough to sell

-Mansoor Siddiquie

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 19:21
Thanks, I do love making them. I'm also sure though that you could make something even better if you wanted.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 19:36
It sounds cool!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 23:42
Thanks!

Barbarian
Years of Service
User Offline
i watched all the videos and it looks like a really good game. how long did a game like this take you to make?
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 17:10
Which videos? Manuel or level editor? Thanks either way. So far I'd say there is about 5-8 hours work on the level editor. As for Manuel, I'm not sure. The main engine took a day or two but then I kept adding to it. Also, once the main coding is done I tend to get bored. It is the programming I enjoy so when it comes to making the 3D art and adding new levels etc. I lose interest and progress slows.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 21:15
Now I have finished the button system completely. It actually took about 1000 lines since my post where I said 'but adding shouldn;t be too much harder'! Lol! Nearly there then I think.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 02:37
Wow

Man, this game is gonna go far.

But keep your head up, even if many people don't post about it, lotsa people still like it

-Mansoor Siddiquie

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 16:22
Thanks. I hope to have the level editor done by next weekend at the absolute latest so the I can move onto the game itself. The level editor will go with the game so you can make your own levels. I'm sure you remember as I have said it a lot but remeber, this isn't Manuel I'm making at the moment. It is the game for my sisters for Christmas.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 16:21
Added save function today. I'm planning to add a feature that when you save the level you make it will let you take 3 'photos' of it and they will be saved in the file as well so that on the level select screen it will have a transition between the three images of the level you are currently viewing. Sort of like in UT for those of you that have played it.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 18:47
Cool

Man, you come up with some wild stuff

-Mansoor Siddiquie

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 15:52
Thanks! Thats me alright; wild through and through! Lol!

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 22:53
Coders gone whiled.

+ =

You'd Forget you header if it wasn't compiled on!
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:27
Well I have now made the load function. (Haven't done the photo thing yet but only through lack of time.) I also still need a game idea! Lol!

sith lord
Years of Service
User Offline
nice game
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 20:00
Thanks!

Now college is out I only have a few days of near enough solid coding ahead of me to get this done! Wish me luck!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 19:34
Added the photo thing now as well as the best part of a file browser with preview. Leaves me 4 days to do the finishing touches and then actually start the game! Ahhhhh!

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 20:49
you could aslso give the editor and a few lessons in DBP for christmas as present to who-ever you mean it to?

...No Signature here...
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2006 13:28
Indeed. The reason I've been putting so much effort into the editor is because my sisters love making their own levels so it will go with the game. As for lessons in DBP...meh! I'm not sure they'd be interested!

Oh yeah! I finished the editor now! Well, I think so! It will have to do anyway as I only have 3.5 days now to start and finish the game itself! The editor is pretty cool now though and quite a bit of the game engine is sort of built into it anyway. Do you want a vid? I'm pre-empting a yes so here you go! Lol!
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/andrewneale2004/?action=view¤t=leveleditor-1.flv

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2006 15:14
cool! looks like a nice intuitive editor!

and the three screenshots thing is great

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2006 16:02
Thanks. I just thought about how annoying it is trying to remember a level by name, especially when it is out of 100 per-level set! Downside is the increased file size but meh! Maybe I'll try and make a file compressor as well. One thing very annoying about Fraps that I have just realised is that the mouse is never in the right position! Strange!

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Man that's a great editor.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 09:25
Thanks. I found a couple of bugs last night but they are ironed out now so lets see if I can make the game itself now in 3 days starting........NOW!!!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 14:13
Now I have a cool menu system and more bugs ironed out. You can now choose to play a level and the level then loads but you can't actually do anything yet! Have a vid to prove I am still working!
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/andrewneale2004/?action=view¤t=game.flv

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 15:55
The suspense is killing - this is as good as any game. Will he, or won't he, make it in time ...
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 17:33
Thanks. Lol!
Well I'm pretty much done for today; 8 hours so far! The player is now implemented with controlling and such. Just need to add interaction with special things such as spike trap and moving platforms. Then on Chrsitmas Eve I can hopefully just add polish and shine.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 20:18
Quote: "Well I'm pretty much done for today"

You are not alone.

Are you going to share the finished game with us - or is it too personal for that ...

Did you enter the nVidea comp? (Too lazy to look.)
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 16:29
Quote: "Are you going to share the finished game with us - or is it too personal for that ..."

Perhaps with a bit of editing. It is pre-set-up with save spaces for each of my sisters so if you are called Laure, Philippa, Rachel or Ruth then that's fine! Lol!

Quote: "Did you enter the nVidea comp? (Too lazy to look.)"

Unfortuantely I didn't notice it for far too long. Not that I have a lot of spare time anyway. Really wish I'd had a chance though.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 16:31
Oh yeah! Just remembered why I logged on! I was going to tell you that I've just finished the game! Lol! Idiot! Well...yeah...there it is! Game is done! I can move back to Manuel!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 17:43
Well done! (There's still time for some last minute testing and that "final" "improvement" that really fouls things up as soon as anyone else runs the program. )

Only joking. Hope they like the game. Have a good Christmas.

We're all looking forward to seeing how Manuel develops.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 19:43
Thanks! That wasn't such a joke really; the number of times I've done that! Merry Christmas to you too!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 10:14
Good news: I finally got Oblivion! It freakin' rocks!

Bad news: I got outside the initial dungeon/sewer and my frame rate dropped to around 5!

Good news: I'm going to return it and get a different game and now I have more time Manuel! Oblivion would have been a life sapper!

A bit late now but Merry Chrsitmas and a Happy New Year to all!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 04:10
First Part: Yay!

Second Part: Aww

Third Part: Yay!

M' Christmas to you too.

-Mansoor S

(Formerly Xenocythe)
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 11:35
Good news: I got Oblivion's frame rate up to 60 by messing with the oblivion.ini file!

Bad news: It would seem there is a bug because despite everything else in the game being at the right speed and working fine the walking speed starts off alright but then slows after a while till it is unplayable!

Good news: Same as number 3 before as well as I've had some incredibly good ideas for a new game. I've also decided that I'm going to move into a graphical style similar to Darwinia. This is because the main reason I don't finish any big games (in terms of size not famousness, lol!) is because I always get severely piddled off when it comes to media. I'll make a perfectly good engine (i.e. Manuel/Realms Of Tutopia) and get to the stage of just adding more media and then get bored of it and drop it. I have huge plans for an engine and a level editor to go with it not so different to NWN's Aurora editor. I'm going to keep Manuel going, at least for now, because I love him so! But my plan from now on is not to worry about making complicated 3D/2D media and work on just making it neat and functional which in my opinion will look better than detailed and scruffy work anyway. I will then try to use code (shaders/particles etc.) to make it pretty. I will be sharing my time equally between the two projects so expect to see a new thread soon-ish. I will also change to buying stuff for family as I really want to see both these projects finished. Oh yeah, a hint! The other project is an RPG and may or may not be Realms Of Tutopia reborn!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 19:27
Just realised the deadline for nVidia compo is a little while off so I'm going to give that a shot quickly. It will be quite a rush though. Thanks for pointing it out Green Gandalf!

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
It sounds cool and what prince said right right at the start you don't have to do it because prince of persia is human and manuel is a doggy creature.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 20:23
Thanks, indeed that is true.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 20:41
Your oblivion badnews:

I had that too,i set everything to high and it worked perfectly

Oblivion has some weird bugs,without Nvidea 7 series card and 1GB of ram it wont play very well unless you "crack" some files open and change some crap.(Dont ask me what,i dont remember.it took me 5 days to mess and whatever and it finaly worked...GOD ill never do that again...)

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 21:18
Well the RPG I mentioned above will be Oblivion style. I'll get onto it as soon as I'm done with the nVidia compo.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 19:37
I'm back! Everything that was taking up my time is gone. Back to Manuel! I've just started the level editor so visual progress may be slow but this will slmost certainly mean that once the level editor is done the game will progress rapidly. I have renewed motivation having just received a very kind e-mail with regards to Manuel. I'll be sure to keep the thread updated.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 00:16
Yes yes yes!!

-Mansoor S.

(Formerly Xenocythe)
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 03:20
Well, awesome, just gotta send him e-mails if he starts to drop again everybody .

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 15:06
Hee hee! Thanks!

citybee
Years of Service
User Offline
I couldnt watch the movie on photobucket

thx
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 00:03
Really? Hmm...I'm not sure why... Sorry about that but hopefully there will be something new to watch soon-ish. What with it being the weekend and all I'll hopefully be able to get a good start on the level editor. Screens of that soon.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 15:00
I'm now at the stage of making some media so I can test and progress on the level editor. Coming along quite well I think but I am having to make two versions of each texture; one for low level graphics and one for high level with a normal map.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 21:13
Well here is a video showing the current new look of Manuel. The vid is a bit jumpy but I am getting comfortably over 60 on my useless PC and the effects will be togglable in the menu for those of you who have any speed problems. I still have to make the no-effect textures but I have some simple but useful code now which loads in the model and applies all the normal map textures for me. Something like this:

Well here is the vid.
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/andrewneale2004/?action=view¤t=manuelnewlook.flv

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 21:17
looks great!

fraps tends to kill the framerate, so it's very understandable

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 21:19
Wow that was quick! Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 04:58:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 04:58:43