Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [STICKY] CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE v1.0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 16:23
@hyrichter -
Thanks, that would be great I'm glad it's working for some, but it's a painful mess on my end.

Come see the WIP!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 04:34
Not sure if this has been pointed out, but I think there's a bug. I've noticed this in the old IDE too. If you have multiple source files and there's a runtime error, it won't tell you the line number for the file, it will tell you the line number for all the files added up!

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 05:09
Uncle Sam,
It will still take you to the correct line as long as the compiler properly reports it. CodeSurge takes into account your multiple source files and finds the appropriate line.

The most common reason for not jumping to the line from a runtime error is that CodeSurge is constantly running in the background trying to trap any runtime error messages that occur. If you dismiss the message too quickly, it won't be able to grab the line number from it. You're best to wait a second or two, and then click OK. Even then, there's a cool command called "Goto project line number" with a shortcut of ctrl + l (you can find it in the Search menu.) That will take you to the correct line in the correct file.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 20:53
@Uncle Sam,

The other thing to keep in mind is the errors aren't always clear as to what might be wrong. I've found that the compiler or the program itself might report an error, but the actual problem is being caused by the line above the one reported.

@Hyrichter,

Any chance we can get concatenation? It's really the only thing keeping me from using CodeSurge full time.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 23:35
Ive been using this for a while and I realized I never thanked you, so: Thank you! CodeSurge is fantastic.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 06:16 Edited at: 13th Jul 2008 06:18
This post is mostly for Cash Curtis II, but if anyone else needs this, here it is. This version allows you to completely disable all the XP styled menus, checkboxes, buttons, etc. Hopefully this fixes all your Vista woes, Cash!

Download is attached to this post. Let me know if there are any problems.

@KISTech,
Someday, sometime, somewhere. (I really do need to just do it.)

Thanks for the thanks, guys.

Edit:
I forgot to say that the option is in your editor preferences dialog under "Editor Options". You'll have to restart the IDE for the changes to take effect.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 13:01 Edited at: 13th Jul 2008 13:05
Thanks for the update. I want to cry, it doesn't work for me. I have no idea why it isn't. I tried running it like normal, no luck. I ran it as an administrator and no luck. Then I disabled visual themes, desktop composition, and set it to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode and still no luck.

Whenever I right click I can't choose any commands and I have to click on a different Windows folder to unstick CS. The Code Explorer is busted, here's a picture. I can't click on a function either.

The menus don't work either. What really shuts me down is the code explorer and search. I can't navigate through all of my code without them

One last thing, when I tell it to open all project files it takes FOREVER to do it. It stays stuck on three for about 3 minutes then slowly works its way through the others.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 14:49
This is crazy.

Does it only have this problem with GH and is it only with lots of multiple source files? What happens if you put your project into one source file? Does it still have the problems?

Does anyone else with Vista and a large project have any of Cash's problems? I really want to get to the bottom of this. Any help/suggestions by anyone is more than welcome.

CodeSurge
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 17:31
When I open a single smallish file I have no problems. The Code Explorer works, menus are fine.

However, if I open the Geisha Hosue _Temp.dbsource in CodeSurge it does not work. As a single file it is 1.08 mb. I've not done intermediate testing to see at what point it breaks, I suppose that nobody else has loaded a project quite as large as this into CodeSurge.

Come see the WIP!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 18:03
But it worked fine on XP?

It sounds like it's not a problem with the menu styles, then. I'm going to take a guess that it's the code explorer that's doing something Vista doesn't like.

Let me put up a version where you can enable/disable just about anything I can think of so that we can see what makes it break.

CodeSurge
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 18:46
Sounds great

It worked fine in XP, although the Code Explorer would sometimes duplicate functions like it did in the picture above, just not as many times. Even when it did it didn't seriously affect anything so I just ignored it.

Come see the WIP!
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 07:37
I'm only new to CodeSurge (started using it around 2-3 days ago) so far I think it is great, however there are definitely a few complications and things that have driven me nuts.

I believe I remember in the original IDE there was the functions, labels, types like you have in the code explorer, but there was also a few other things including variables. It would be very helpful to be able to browse through my variables without going through all the code.

I had something else to say but I forgot XD
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 17:59
does no one else have issues getting the help files to show? anyone know how to fix?

http://notmybase.com
All my base are not belong to anyone.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 01:30 Edited at: 11th Aug 2008 01:30
Please please please add support for precompilers It's my number 1 most wanted feature! The one thing that CodeSurge lacks.

A plugin system for CodeSurge would be even better though, so we could add our own stuff!

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
DShan
Years of Service
User Offline
Noob here, Just trying CodeSurge. It looks smooth and cool.

Do I take it that plugins DON'T work? Does that mean things like the eXtends package won't work?

Also, this is most likely just me, but I have a problem with the menus. I like dark backgrounds and light text, even in menus, but I find many programs (like CodeSurge) that don't take their color cues from the OS "Preferences". When I have my preferred settings up (yellow on dark red, for edit, white on medium brown for menus), the menus in CS are blankly white and unreadable until I mouse over them, whence they turn white on gray. I usually end up just chucking such pgms, when I find something else that works my way.

Like I said, I may be the ONLY one with this problem, but my eyes don't like the glare of the light backgrounds. I'd turn my browser pages dark, if I could.

If there were an EASY way to fix this, it would be appreciated, he said, with a sly wink to his bemused companion.
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2008 22:35
I can point out a few things I would find helpful in CodeSurge, if you would be willing to check out these.

Mainly to do with functions, but also loops and subroutines, and user-defined types as well, I remember the old ide you could click a little minimize button and it would close that function and just show the "function func_name(parameter1,parameter2,parameter3)" so you could read the code a bit easier then expand a function when you need to look at that function.

Secondly in the code explorer, what is there is helpful sometimes but it would be great if it lists functions from all source files in the project opened, and not just the source file being currently viewed. Also adding variables and constants would be handy but I'm not sure if that would be too much (I can live without)

Another thing that would come in handy is when adding media to the project, maybe being able to add several things at once instead of adding them one by one

Thanks for your hard work in CodeSurge, I do believe you have done a great job!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 02:54
DShan,
DBP plugins should work fine. I think your confusion may be the fact that CodeSurge doesn't currently support IDE plugins. If it has to do with DBP itself, then you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

You can have CS use Windows settings for your menus if you like. Go to your editor preferences and disable XP styles.

To everyone else,
I read every comment and suggestion. I just wish I had more time to work on it. Family life and other things get in the way.

CodeSurge
Random color object
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 15:53
Everytime I open cs I got that, and also when compiling

Access violation at address 00462EFB in module 'CodeSurge.exe'. Read of address 000001B4.

When it is too complicated it is because you are trying at the wrong door.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 18:15
Just downloaded this and it's great. I'm using Vista and had no problems so far, well done.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 19:32
I've probably said this before, but thanks for this. I've started using DBP again for something and I was trying for a while to use the default IDE but it is beyond retarded and I just can't use it.

It seems pretty stable, and works fine on Vista without turning on XP SP2 compatibility or running in administrator mode, as long as it's installed to a user directory.

One criticism I have of this is that context-sensitive help doesn't work properly, at least on Vista. It's necessary to click on the last word of the command rather than just anywhere. Totally ruins my life.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 18:29 Edited at: 9th Sep 2008 18:31
It's probably been said before but would it be possible to have a feature where you write a variable name + a dot and you get a window with acceptable extensions? Like in Delphi.

Here's a screen shot of what I am talking about (I couldn't explain it very well).

This will help us remember what we put in that type class and will not need to scroll up and down the page to view possible extensions.

Attachments

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 02:29
This program is great but there are some really annoying bugs! If you press control+f to search for text (or open any other dialog box), it will sometimes not search or let you close the window! Sometimes the menu freezes up too.

freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 19:47
Love and still use your 1.0. 1.2a is giving me fits on XP SP2. With no project loaded the menus work fine. But as soon as I load a project and click on a menu, a it will drop down and then the entire app hangs right there. Have to Ctrl-alt-delete. Then I go back to 1.0 and it handles fine.

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 06:45
Something funny to report: I was testing CodeSurge 1.2 and opened the darkphysics joints demo named "bridge". It compiles fine but after compiling it runs adobe bridge instead of my program. Only after renaming the executable it will run fine.
In comparison, the default Dbpro IDE runs that same sample in a normal way. I think Codesurge is not adding the full path when invoking the exe it just compiled, and hence, windows will run the first bridge.exe it encounters in its path var.

Am using vista home premium, and by the way, now Codesurge does not need to disable desktop composition! Thanks.

May the 3d force B with U
Garzu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 16:23 Edited at: 12th Nov 2008 16:28
1st of all, thank you for making this

2nd, I had a problem re-opening Codesurge after exiting. The only thing I remember doing whilst programming last time, was to remove the code explorer, Project explorer and project manager. I was getting an access violation and wouldn't let me back in. So I deleted the cssettings file and all was well again

addendum :

I just tried closing the panels again, exited and tried to load again, same problem (same solution!)
for the record, I am on Windows Vista Business.

insert name
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 19:36
I really like CS but i have one problem...

I have an Eee with a small screen and whenever i pin/unpin the code explorer CS comes up with a "invalid index" pop up every ~3 seconds.

Other than that it beats the normal IDE hands down in my case.
Marco A G Pinto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 14:40
Hello!!!

The other day I opened a big project with CodeSurge 1.2a and each function and label appeared repeated three times in the window on the right.

It is just a bug report.

Keep up the good work

Kind regards,
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 19:26
Since Synergy has stopped working recently, i decided to use Codesurge. And i have to say that it is brilliant!! great work!

xjoyride
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, very cool IDE. I use it as default now. One quick issue that I'd like mention is that when I'm typing code and the character number on the line exceeds a certain amount (about 120) the IDE starts to lag. I begin to see a significant delay between the moment I type characters and the moment they appear on screen. I think its a little annoying, and only fix it if you feel the change is warranted. I just thought I'd mention it.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
I found a bug when you move the project explorer and project manager you start getting io errors and project file corruption.

The admiral
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 00:14
I'm having a compile error with Codesurge, it tells me there is an unknown command on line 4433, but my project is only 4398 lines long! If i use the goto project line # from the drop down menu, it refuses to find line 4433... What the heck?! How can I fix this?
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 21:13
I'm getting a strange highlighting error

Typing:
"new color"
Into CS highlights the 'or' in color.

Also,
"array ?and"
Where '?' is any letter apart from c,d or i, highlights the and.
The letters c,d and i also happen to be the first letters of keywords following 'array':

array count
array insert element
array delete element

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 23:04
@Draknir
Do you have multiple source files or any #includes?

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 15:00
Sorry to be gone so long, everyone! I really haven't abandoned this.

Draknir,
The compiler itself sometimes gets the line numbers off. There was once a bug with the compiler where comments inside of select/case statements would throw the line number count off. I believe that's been fixed for some time, though. You may want to take a look at the _temp.dbsource file that CodeSurge creates and see if there's something odd at the end of it -- maybe some erroneous characters or something? I wish I knew.

Diggsey,
That is rather odd. I really need to work through the highlighting code again and improve it. And here's some advice for everyone: If you ever decide to make your own language, NEVER use multi-word keywords.

I'm going to try to address as many issues as possible in a final update (especially Vista problems.) After that, I really want to make a CodeSurge 2.

CodeSurge
Willy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 20:04
Code Surge is outstanding! Thank-you for doing that.
- Even though the support headaches just keep coming...

The beginning of the thread has two CS downloads. One slightly bigger than the other. Both have the same name. Which is the most current?

Thanks!

Willy
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2009 20:51
Glad to say Codesurge works in Windows 7 Beta; However, there is a new feature Win 7 supports whcih I'd like to see codesurge take advantage of

Fromt he start menu, programs now have a "tasks" submenu, which allows you to opent he program with various options, so for example, 7Zip has a list of recent files, meaning it takes just one click from the start menu to get to a recent file, and 7zip launches with said file open.

this would be a nice touch demonstrating codesurge's willingness to use the latest technology offered

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "this would be a nice touch demonstrating codesurge's willingness to use the latest technology offered"

Windows 7 is not even officially released yet so how he can add this feature? I guess not everyone wants to install operating system beta versions to just try them out.

In a long term this feature of course would be great integration into Windows 7 but still not even a strict release date is set for it so why bother right now.

It reminds me a bit of the time when DX10 and Vista where coming out and everyone where like: "Oh man check this out a new DX version new graphics, new stuff WOW cannot wait. I am going to remove my Windows XP right now and until Vista comes out I wont touch my PC!"

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, DirectX10, DBPro 7.1
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 17:11
hey was just suggesting thats all, and as i said, other software such as 7zip are already implementing it.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 22:45 Edited at: 15th Jan 2009 22:46
Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh but I just look from the stand point of coder who will need to install Windows 7 anyways to try out this feature. And as I understand hyrichter ain't got much time to do this.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, DirectX10, DBPro 7.1
ZKAT8IT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 13:42 Edited at: 11th Mar 2009 13:43
Hey, I'm having an issue running 1.2a . I've been using it for a while, but recently it just stopped working shortly after installing WMP 11. And maybe one or 2 other programs. Every time I open it I immediately get the error "Access violation at address 0057BA02 in module 'Codesurge.exe'. Read of address 00000000." The program then runs, but only displays the menus and a tab called "Main Source". There is no project explorer, project manager, code explorer. I have to open those windows manually from the menu. Every time I try to open a project or edit the preferences of the IDE the error appears once again. Everything else works like the color picker and help, but anything that seems to directly relate to the code box seems to cause the error (ie: using the color picker to add color to the code ). The code box isn't displayed, it's just gone. I went to an older version of CodeSurge and that works, but the 1.2a no longer works all of a sudden. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 05:23
I'm baaack! Yes, I'm working on CodeSurge once again.

What I really need are some good sized DBP projects I can test it with. The more functions and files the better. Anyone willing to part with some of their source code to help me out here? I don't need the media or anything, just source code to try to improve performance. You can send it to me via email (hyrichter at gmail dot com).

ZKAT8IT,
I'm wondering if the XP style menus, etc. might be causing a problem. I've uploaded a debug version that will show a message box after every little thing it does at startup to hopefully trace the error.

I really, really want to get this working for everyone, but I realize that just might not be possible. I'll do my absolute best, though.

Anyone else having troubles, try this out and let's see if we can't fix some of these issues once and for all.

CodeSurge

Attachments

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 12:03
@Hyrichter
I've been using codesurge for ages now, and I have only 2 minor problems with it.

1) Sometimes when I load a project, It doesn't display the Functions/Labels/Types section properly. The little "+" which unfolds the lists doesn't appear. The only way to solve it is to close codesurge and open the project again.

2) Sometimes I find left clicking on a menu item (I find this most often with cut, copy & paste) doesn't work. Sometimes I have to click it 3 or 4 times before it works.

Other than that, its a great solid little editor

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 21:59
CodeSurge would be amazing if you added some way of collapsing sections of code, like with Code::Blocks.

"I have faith, that I shall win the race, even though I have no legs, and am tied to a tree." ~Mark75
ZKAT8IT
Years of Service
User Offline
hyrichter: It crashes right after "DBP Path Located"

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 00:28 Edited at: 16th Mar 2009 00:35
That's interesting, because the next thing after locating the DBP path is loading in the keywords files.

Do you mind sharing with me your keywords files? I don't know if that's where the problem really lies, but it's definitely worth a try.

CodeSurge
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 00:52
I just had another thought. Are you using Barnski's Plugin for Winsock? Someone else mentioned a few pages back that the keywords file was causing trouble. I downloaded the plugin from Barnski's website, but it didn't cause any trouble. Then I copied and pasted the older keywords file that wschramm (page 4 of this thread) had posted. It pops right up with the access violations.

So, I'm off to debugging why it would be throwing fits over a keyword file.

CodeSurge
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 01:20
All right, give this a try and tell me what happens.

It seems there's been a problem (not sure for how long) where blank lines in a keywords file would really cause trouble. The error was so obvious once I knew where to look, that it's rather embarrassing.

Anyway, here's CodeSurge 1.2b. Enjoy.

CodeSurge

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 04:53
Yay!

I'm still having problems with DarkMP3's keywords though. If I remove the keyword file, it works fine, but with it I get:

Access violation at address 0057EF4A in module 'CodeSurge.exe'. Read of address 00000000.

DarkMP3 (download at bottom):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=139418&b=18

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 05:26

I'll take a look at it. Probably some other stupid error I've made.

CodeSurge
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 06:04
Ok, it's both an error with the keywords file and CodeSurge (it should know better than to choke just because someone botched up a keywords file.) Anyway, on line 23 of the Dark Audio keywords file, there is this line:
=commands\dark_mp3\.htm=[Return ? as Integer = (int as Any type)]

There is no command before the helpfile definition, and that greatly confuses CodeSurge and causes it to crash on startup. If you remove that line, it works fine. Still no excuse for CodeSurge, though.

CodeSurge

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:45:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:45:35