Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [STICKY] CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE v1.0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 00:47
Got it, thanks!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 00:14
Heh, well seems I'm just going to keep finding bugs . Funny, it's been working great for me until now.

Anyway, UberTerrain is causing an EXE compiled in Codesurge to give a really random runtime error, while the project works find when compiled with the default IDE:

This is using the demo that is provided with the UT beta.

bfrnhout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 22:00
Hi i just downloaded Codesurge and the look and stile is good.
I mis some things i do like on a other IDE from another Basic program.
- Wordcompletion.
- Stricked word using
- Color coding Local Global and Constant variables
- Keyword suggestion list while type the keyword
- TODO list

I got the runtime error after the 3th time running CodeSurge but after deleting the ini file the error war gone.

Games is live so to live do the games
enderleit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 21:14
I attached the help window to the bottom of the screen, but after I closed it I can't get it open again...

Any help?

- enderleit
[href]www.eleit.dk[/href]
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 05:35
I just downloaded version 1.2b yesterday, and I'm both happy and pissed. The only two changes I've noticed, although I'm not that observant, are these: You can compile and run stand alone .DBA files (finally!), but now the Code Explorer, Project Explorer, and Project Manager close when I exit the program seemingly at random. I've actually been using 1.2a for a few months now, and I never got that bug.

Codesurge is really good, it's the editor I'm using to make my cheesy little first major game in: Swordfight!. Keep up the good work Hyrichter.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 01:48 Edited at: 11th Apr 2009 01:48
Just one of the reasons CodeSurge is awesome

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 00:02
Hi,
just updated to 1.2b, still using CS

One issue I have found is that <CTRL>+S seems to have stopped functioning.

I downloaded the update to see if the latest version is better at dealing with lines with many parentheses. I have a lot of code that uses lots of parentheses, and it's the only thing that CS seems to struggle with. The cursor can sometimes slow down to moving at less than 1 character a second.

Keep up the good work, this has been a real saviour to me

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 02:03
The shortcut for saving is actually CTRL + Shift + S in Codesurge. It's kind of weird, and I think it'd be better if it was CTRL + S because that's what every other program I've ever used before has. I actually have a nervous tick where I hit CTRL + S every time I finish a line of code.

I didn't notice any speed up with long lines in 1.2b, but even with 1.2a I never had any delays longer than a second. I can't imagine how many parenthesis you use, because I use quite a few myself.

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 15:57
Actually, Ctrl + S has always supposed to have worked as the save shortcut. How long has it been gone? Ctrl + Shift + S is the shortcut for save all.

Herakles,
Not sure if it will help, but sometimes between version changes, the cssettings.ini file needs to be deleted so it can re-create it with the proper settings for that version. Give that a try and see if it helps.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 03:55
The first version of Codesurge I ever used was 1.2a and Ctrl + S didn't work. In 1.2b it still doesn't work. Also, I did delete the cssetings.ini file and still it didn't work.

bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 11:49
Works like a charm!

The cake is a LIE!
Xfire = Fotogames
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 15:27 Edited at: 2nd May 2009 15:28
Finally got around to try this; great work!
It is a bit annoying that you cannot minimize the command reference window, but other than that, everything seems to work just fine.

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
One thing I've noticed with this and the original IDE, when I split my program up into multiple code files, debug errors become useless, as it thinks I have 2000 lines of code when really, between them all I have about 1000, and it doesn't tell me what file the error is in.

Any idea how to work around this?

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 22:34
Open fullsourcedump.dba in the dbp temp folder in a second instance of the IDE whenever you get an error from a succesfully compiled project and recompile? *Should* work
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 03:51
Quote: "It is a bit annoying that you cannot minimize the command reference window, but other than that, everything seems to work just fine."

After you close the help window, just select an empty line and then hit F1. It will have remembered the last help file you went to, so it'll be like you had merely minimized it instead of closing it. Saying that, I do think the help window in Codesurge could be a bit better (a search feature would be nice).

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 04:16
Quote: "One thing I've noticed with this and the original IDE, when I split my program up into multiple code files, debug errors become useless, as it thinks I have 2000 lines of code when really, between them all I have about 1000, and it doesn't tell me what file the error is in.

Any idea how to work around this?"

If you have all the source files open, the project should go right to the problem line after the error message.

I've got a bit of a bug as well, though. Whenever I try to compile the FPSC V115 source in Codesurge, I get a "Could not understand command at line 1," which is a rem statement. The source compiles fine in the Default IDE. I'm guessing Codesurge is having a problem with so many lines of code.

cyangamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 23:41 Edited at: 13th May 2009 00:13
Great program! I found something you should take a look at:

I like that '//' and '/* */' are accepted as comment commands, but when I use '/* */', CodeSurge doesn't understand it, even though it still makes multiple lines green/italicized like it should.

Just another thing that needs to be fixed.

Also, in a project with multiple .dba files, whenever there's an error, the IDE always goes to the wrong line, making it very hard to track down glitches.

Currently working on - Enemy AI using Dark A.I. I probably should've looked at the reviews in the Dark Physics and Dark A.I. forum first.
DarkJohn20
Years of Service
User Offline
One question, to use this do you put it where DBP is installed so it can read all of the files like plugins and such?
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2009 03:17
No, you can put it anywhere. As long as it knows where the DBPro folder is, and you only have to worry about it if you did not intall it in the default location. Then, you'd have to locate it for Codesurge, but otherwise you don't really have to do anything to set it up.

Personally, I put all of the IDEs I use (just Codesurge and Synergy) in My Documents, just because it's easy to get to.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 02:50
Hey Hyrichter, any updates?

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 20:25 Edited at: 21st Jun 2009 20:35
Quote: "Hey Hyrichter, any updates?"

Umm, yeah. I'm quite embarrassed that I fixed the ctrl + s save thing a long time ago, but totally forgot to give everyone an update. We just got done with a major huge cabinet job that required nearly working around the clock for a couple weeks, so I've been pretty burned out with that and haven't felt much like doing any programming for a while.

Here's the update, and I'm actually spending a bit of time today seeing what other improvements I can make while I've got a little time.

If I can make any other worthwhile improvements today, I'll post another update.

Edit: Can you believe that I've been working on this for nearly 3.5 years? I started it in January of 2006.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 20:56
Yay!

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 01:13
CodeSurge FTW
Yeah, I've used CodeSurge for well over a year. I've tried others, but they really suck compared to CS (advanced features are nice, but only if they WORK! *cough* synergy *cough*).

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 02:29
Quote: "Can you believe that I've been working on this for nearly 3.5 years? I started it in January of 2006."

Talk about commitment!

Quote: "(advanced features are nice, but only if they WORK! *cough* synergy *cough*)"

...and if the program doesn't spontaneously shut off every other month...

Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 03:21
Still using codesurge, still working fine.
One thing i am missing is the ToDo List, i might just make my own though.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 03:35
Quote: "One thing i am missing is the ToDo List"

Just use Microsoft Word. One thing "to do" per line, maybe even use bullets. Works like a charm.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 04:28
I just use rems at the top of the code.

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 14:55
ya! new codesurge! maybe I'll actually code something now...

NaGaFailMo.
Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 19:52
Quote: "Just use Microsoft Word. One thing "to do" per line, maybe even use bullets. Works like a charm."

I did mean inside the editor with the ability to check it off...

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 02:29
Just do something like this in Word or even Notepad:

1: Code the WASD controls

2: Code the enemy AI

3: Code the physics

etc

And then when you finish one of the things to do you just italicise it.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 02:46
Or have a table with two columns and as many rows as to-do's. Left column is wide and details the task, and the right column is thin and you place a tick in it next to each finished task (Wingdings2 Alt+0252). Or do
in Notepad.

Of course, regarding it actually being in the editor, well...

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 03:19
Sure it's more convenient to have a "to do list" inside the editor, but it's not really necessary. Bug fixing is a much better use of Hyrichter's time.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 12:09
To be honest, in the old editor the checklist was more distracting than anything. Constantly being there lent it more to misuse than ought else. For short term problems some notes at the top cover it far better anyway. Just delete them when finished, or organise it as a log so you can maybe fix future issues by referring back to similar past ones...

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 12:17
I rely on good ol' A4 jotter pads for my notes/to do lists; this gives me the freedom to think/work away from the PC.

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 19:36
I only asked for a ToDo List...
Herakles: Don't insult me by expaining how to create a To do list in word for christ sakes. I don't care how other people sort out their projects, i just dropped a hint for a todo list because its convenient for me...

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 02:09
How do you find that insulting? By explaining one way of doing a "to do list" in Word, I was trying to help you. You could be a little more appreciative.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 20:53
I have a suggestion for speeding up compile times...restrict the number of times you update the on-screen status. If you update it once every 10 lines or so, rather than every line it will makes things faster by a large magnitude.

Maybe I've simplified something somewhere, but it makes sense to me.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 17:31
Actually, it makes absolutely no noticeable difference, Batvink. I've timed it and can't tell any difference at all. Maybe a few milliseconds at the most.

I just posted over in the 7.4 beta thread about why you will sometimes get a "Cannot understand command at line 1" error. The DBPro compiler wants a lowercase .dbpro extension passed to it for the project filename, regardless of what case it's been named as. So I have made a fix for CodeSurge that sends the compiler a lowercase version of the filename. Note that this doesn't affect your filename on your hard-drive. So, for now, if you ever get this error, just make sure the .dbpro extension on your project file is lowercase. I've fixed it, but there's a bunch of other things I want to take care of before releasing another update -- mainly performance issues.

CodeSurge
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 17:43
Ah, thanks for that information .

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 03:00
Sound the alarm! CodeSurge 1.3 is now available for download. This should fix a LOT of performance issues people have been having, especially on large projects. It still slows down a fair amount on long lines of code, and I know where the problem is, but it's going to take some major work to get it satisfactory.

Here's what's been done that I can remember:
It will now compile the FPSC source or any other project that doesn't have the .dbpro extension in lowercase. This is actually a bug with the compiler, but this fix works and doesn't affect your filenames at all.
I did some optimizing on the code explorer and how it parses the code. Still needs improvements for long lines of code.
Added icons to the code explorer. (About time, isn't it.)
There should now be absolutely no menus locking up anymore on large projects. This was caused by it trying to update the code explorer while you dropped down a menu, and then the menu system would get very much confused.
The code explorer shouldn't be duplicating any function names when it can't update fast enough.
Put the refresh time at 5 seconds for the code explorer so that it's not slowing down large projects as much.
The code that checks in the background for runtime errors is now only enabled when you are running your project. This probably won't make much noticeable difference, but every little bit of optimization does help.

Anyway, give it a try and see how it works. If I really screwed something up, let me know so I can fix it ASAP.

P.S. If Cash Curtis II ever looks at this thread anymore, I hope this will fix most of the troubles you were having before.

CodeSurge

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 04:38
Yahoo!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 14:03 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 14:18
I've just downloaded 1.3 and when I hit compile I get this error:

I should point out that I have very recently reformatted my PC so it is very likely that I have failed to install something important. However, the error message isn't particularly helpful. Any suggestion as to what I may have missed (if that is the problem of course!).

I am running DBP 7.4 beta 8
DirectX March 08 SDK

Thanks

[b]Edit ... Problem solved!
It was the intensely annoying and totally useless 'User Account Control'. I turned it off and all is well

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 14:27 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 14:28
Glad you got it working. I/O error 103 is a Delphi error code that means it couldn't open or write to a file. And yes, that definitely needs to be a more useful error message.

CodeSurge
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 15:46
It feels weird to bump the topmost sticky, but I'm just wondering how this version is working out for everyone. I'm especially interested in knowing if it's working well for people who have massive projects.

I have some time to work on this again, so I really need your feedback.

CodeSurge
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 16:07
Works great here, I no longer have the menu problem.
However, there is something I would love to see in a DBPro editor, some kind of subfolders in the project explorer. I use to put all my sources in subfolders to keep everything clear, but once included in DBPro, it gives a huge list of files. Could it be possible to have a folding system for the sources?
Anyway, great update!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 16:48
I'm getting a "Range check error" when I compile the FPSC source.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 18:08
That's odd. I get the same thing. It compiled it before, so I'm not sure what I did to it before releasing it.

CodeSurge
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 20:23 Edited at: 1st Jul 2009 20:27
Yay! I'm gonna check out the 1.3 version

EDIT: Looks cool, i like the new icons (not sure if they are new, but i think so XD). the only thing that bothers me is that it takes relatively much time to boot. thats the only reason i use the default IDE for code snippets and stuff where i need a coding screen quick. but overall good job!

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 21:01 Edited at: 1st Jul 2009 21:01
BMacZero, I think I know what causes the range check error. When you first load the FPSC source, it takes it a few seconds to figure out all the functions, labels, and types for the code explorer (after all, it is a lot of code). I found if you give it a few seconds to let it populate the code explorer, then it works. I'm not sure exactly why that causes this error, but that seems to be what's causing it.

Edit: Yes the code explorer icons are new to this version. I didn't realize it was slow starting. It starts in 2-3 seconds for me.

CodeSurge
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 21:09
Ah, that did work. Thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:24:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:24:00